PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about mill ends?

honeybunmom
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I see these on some of the yarn sites and am curious as to why they have to be identified as such if they're supposed to be the same quality as the yarn that came before it in the production? Has anyone used mill ends and found a noticable - or any - difference?

Thanks!

Riss
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, I was at AC Moore and bought 2 lbs of mill ends of lime green cotton... it was like 12 huge balls of it... and I love it. It might not be quite as tightly wound as the sugar and creme cotton... but its still really nice none the less. I don't think i'd ever make anything wearable out of it, but i'm making a tote out of it, and a scarf, and I made a change purse... and its great for practicing with. :)

But this is by no way an official answer. Its the only time i've bought mill ends... :)

bip
08-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't have an official answer for you either. I bought some mill end bamboo yarn from discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com and it is soft and lovely. Someone else on this site also bought some in a different color and hers was scratchy. I don't know if that had to do with it being a mill end or because that other color was just scratchier.

Mulderknitter
08-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Another unofficial answer... I inherited a bunch of mill ends yarn, have no idea what it is or where it came from but it is super soft and lovely colors, I am hesitant to buy myself just because I am unsure of the quality?