PDA

View Full Version : Women in Film

mrs desert rain
08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Not sure if this has already made the rounds, but this video is a beautiful montage of women in film:

http://miraulam.multiply.com/video/item/39

Susan P.
08-06-2007, 07:09 PM
It's actually really lovely. My eyes could not deal with the constant changes tho. I tend to get migraines with flickers etc so maybe I am just too sensitive to the alternations but they ARE very beautifully done and are such a tribute. :) I was certainly reminded of some faces I've not seen for a long time. I only got half way through tho.

Thanks for offering this :)

chrislt8
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
that was really neat! I wish it went a little slower though - didn't have enough time to identify everyone :eyes: Did you see Katherine Hepburn in there ? Seems like she had to be but if so I missed her (ran it 2x). Thanks for posting it - I am in awe of what some people can do on the computer!

brendajos
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
that's cool and yet a little creepy (those kinds of things have always creeped me out a little)... they needed to stay a little longer on each picture to give me time to see who i was looking at :)

Susan P.
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes.. Hepburn was in there. I only just got past Minnelli's mum tho :)

dreamsherl
08-06-2007, 11:31 PM
80 years and not one woman of color? :wall:

debinoz
08-06-2007, 11:39 PM
I could name more of the older stars than the newer ones. Mainly because I spent most of my time watching TCM!!

Susan P.
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
dreamsherl...Excellent point. I must say here, there WAS an issue when a woman with very pale skin was NOT known to be Indigenous and boy did she object to that lack of realisation. I'm not sure how one could have really known. But good point of yours and it shows a cultural bias for sure. Who would you have wanted to see included?

scout52
08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Rita Hayworth was Puerto Rican. I didn't watch it when I saw the reply saying regarding how the images were, i thought it would cause a migrane. if she was on there, then there was a woman of color. no one ever knows that she was Puerto Rican but she was.

jeanius80
08-15-2007, 08:37 PM
i clicked but it just took me to a login page.

mrs desert rain
08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
i noticed the same thing last week, jeanius80. you can search "women in film" on youtube.com -- it's on there (along with another titled "women in art" by the same guy...)

zkimom
08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
In no order: Dorothy Dandridge, Cicely Tyson, Whoopi Goldberg, Lena Horne, Hattie McDaniel, Eartha Kitt, Josephine Baker (ok, she only did 3 films,) Diahann Carroll, Angela Bassett, Queen Latifah, Halle Berry and Ruby Dee just to name a few.

dreamsherl
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
dreamsherl...Excellent point. I must say here, there WAS an issue when a woman with very pale skin was NOT known to be Indigenous and boy did she object to that lack of realisation. I'm not sure how one could have really known. But good point of yours and it shows a cultural bias for sure. Who would you have wanted to see included?

Let's see....

Halle Berry, Angela Bassett, Sanaa Lathan, Tonea Stewart, Nicole Ari Parker, CCH Pounder, Loretta Devine, Kent King, Maya Rudolph, Marsha Thomason, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Kasi Lemmons, Judy Pace, Eartha Kitt, Anna Deavere Smith, Ruby Dee, Angelle Brooks, Whoopi Goldberg, Mari Morrow, Donzaleigh Abernathy, Irma P. Hall, S. Epatha Merkerson, Diana Ross, Paula Patton, Thandie Newton, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Vanessa L. Williams, Charlayne Woodard, Meagan Good, Aisha Tyler, Tamara Tunie, Adilah Barnes and Kellita Smith to Nona Gaye, Tatyana Ali, Gabrielle Union, Regina Hall, Tina Andrews, Naomie Harris, Joy Bryant, Phylicia Rashad, Jada Pinkett Smith, Rashida Jones, Tisha Campbell-Martin, Robinne Lee, Queen Latifah, Kerry Washington, Beyonce Knowles, Diahann Carroll, Nia Long, Tyra Banks, Vivica A. Fox, Vonetta McGee, Penny Johnson Jerald, Zoe Saldana, Samaria Graham, Tonya Lee Williams, Tangi Miller, Michelle Hurd, Holly Robinson Peete, Eve, Rosario Dawson, Jurnee Smollett, Alexia Robinson, Jennifer Hudson, Regina King and Audra McDonald. Also included are late actresses Nell Carter, Lynne Thigpen, Dorothy Dandridge, Hattie McDaniel, Beah Richards, Fredi Washington, Rosalind Cash, Nina Mae McKinney, Gloria Foster and Tamara Dobson.

Many of the actresses listed have won various awards including Academy Awards, Emmy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Tony Awards and NAACP Image Awards. Some have established their careers in television, some in film, some in television and film and quite a number have performed on Broadway, television and film.

Sara
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
The person who made the video has changed it and added in a few women of color, including Angela Bassett and Halle Berry. Salma Hayek was added, too.

ETA: Come to think of it, there aren't any Asian women in there.:think:

Sara
08-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Lynne Thigpen passed away?:pout:

figaro
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
In the Women in Film, it was interesting to watch the face shapes change. From round to slender to a little chisled to triangle shaped. I always heard about it but I never noticed it before.

I had seen Women in Art and thought it was interesting, I probably should learn a little more about art cause I recognized Mona Lisa (I saw it in the Louve, it is a lot smaller than it looks!) and I think I saw the Woman with Pearls.

jeanius80
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
here is the full list of women the creater of this video included-
Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, Marlene Dietrich, Norma Shearer, Ruth Chatterton, Jean Harlow, Katharine Hepburn, Carole Lombard, Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Vivien Leigh, Greer Garson, Hedy Lamarr, Rita Hayworth, Gene Tierney, Olivia de Havilland, Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawford, Ginger Rogers, Loretta Young, Deborah Kerr, Judy Garland, Anne Baxter, Lauren Bacall, Susan Hayward, Ava Gardner, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Lana Turner, Elizabeth Taylor, Kim Novak, Audrey Hepburn, Dorothy Dandridge, Shirley MacLaine, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, Janet Leigh, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Loren, Ann Margret, Julie Andrews, Raquel Welch, Tuesday Weld, Jane Fonda, Julie Christie, Faye Dunaway, Catherine Deneuve, Jacqueline Bisset, Candice Bergen, Isabella Rossellini, Diane Keaton, Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon, Jessica Lange, Michelle Pfeiffer, Sigourney Weaver, Kathleen Turner, Holly Hunter, Jodie Foster, Angela Bassett, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Salma Hayek, Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore, Diane Lane, Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Halle Berry

someone in the 'comments' sections says that Leana Horne is also in the film...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEc4YWICeXk

cheesiesmom
08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the link. I just spent an hour watching a group of these vids on utube. Nice way to spend a saturday morning.

zip
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I was just coming in to post the youtube link. jeanius beat me to it. :thumbsup:

beautiful video.