PDA

View Full Version : Wool Allergy?

Kaylee Chenille
08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I just bought my first non-acrylic yarns and I'm very proud of myself for doing so :happydance:. It's (if I'm reading the label right) Re Fa Baruffa Merinos Sei, 100% extra fine merinos, irrestringible. Which, btw. What the heck does irrestringible mean?

My problem is allergies. Everytime I start knitting these (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5419748,00.html) wonderful socks I start to sneeze! My skin is perfectly fine but everytime I get the yarn anywhere near my face my eyes start to water and I start to sneeze like mad. Is this something that happens? All the wool allergies I've run into seem to be skin related.

marykz
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
could be from little fuzzies or bits floating up from the wool. so it is acting like an irritant to the eye/ nose: not so much an allergy. this happens to me sometimes with really wooly fuzzy yarn- the bits fly around and my eyes water like crazy.

Yarnlady
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
It could be dust or any number of things. Submerge it all in water with a little dish soap or shampoo in it. Let it sit. Drain the water, remove the item and squeeze excess water out. Fill sink again with water and add a little white vinegar. Let it sit for awhile. Drain and squeeze. Wrap in a towel and squeeze to get excess water out.

Lay on a porous surface and let it drip dry. That should take care of it.

You can leave your needles in while you do this unless you're using wooden or bamboo needles. If you are, just thread some waste yarn through the live sts and then wash it.