PDA

View Full Version : IRISH HIKING SCARF

Pat in Ca
08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I would love to try the irish hiking scarf.. what yarn would be best for this? thx
Pat

mel.b
08-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Pat,

The beauty of the IHS is that you can use just about any yarn that you want. If you look on the IHS knitalong website there is a list of the yarns that people have used. You could also search back through the blogs for actual photo examples.

Personally I used Malabrigo chunky and I think it's devine:yay: It's so soft and warm and the colour is great. I used 4 skeins to complete mine with size 7mm (metric - US closest equivelent 10.5) needles. I'm a loose knitter, but I wouldn't go any bigger with the needles with that wool.

Good luck with your decision - I loved doing it so much I want to do another one!

Mel.b

Pat in Ca
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks, I have been reading about the malabrigo yarn on this website, but have never seen it "up close" .can you get it on line cheaper? .what color did you use? I would love to see a picture of it.. 10.5 is my favorite needle size, I am a loose knitter as well.. thx for the info
Pat

Slim
08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I used Lane Bourgosesia Merinos Otto, which is a worsted weight merino, on size 9s. It is about 5.5 inches wide and has a wonderful, scrunchy texture. A really fun knit and a beautiful scarf.

Jill A.
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I used RYC Cashsoft, which worked great. Good luck on your scarf!!