PDA

View Full Version : please crochet/knit in memory of Vincent. I'll provide the yarn

itsjustmeghan
08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I just had a close friend of mine loose their newborn baby boy. he was born full term, but the plecenta ruptured cutting off oxygen, and he couldn't recover from the damage that it caused.
http://vincentvaneekeren.blogspot.com (http://vincentvaneekeren.blogspot.com/)
instead of sending flowers, i thought it'd be more appropriate to help other families in the neo-natal department at the hospital where Vincent was being cared for. I talked to the hospital, and they take donations of hats, blankets and clothing.
If I provide the yarn (or if you have some in your stash that is machine washable), would you be willing to work on a small baby blanket or hat for some infants in need?
it doesn't need to be anything special. just something for a little one to have and snuggle that was made with love while thinking about a little boy who didn't make it. I'm hoping to send my friend pictures of a pile of blankets or hats being sent off in Vincent's name.
i'd appreciate it. let me know.

astonh
08-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm a new knitter and have unfortuantely, in our family, experienced this horrific event more than once. My condolences to the family of little Vincent. I can't knit anything big (afraid I'd take too long) BUT I would be honored to have the opportunity to knit a little hat or a blanket for you to donote in Vincent's memory.

I wonder if it is possible to make a tag or something that notes that the item is knit in honor of him?

Being a new knitter, I've got a few needles but no yarn stash yet. If you have some stash that you would be willing to send along with your preference of item to be knitted, again, I'd be thankful to participate.

Thank you for thinking of doing this.

letah75
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Do you want things done within a certain amount of time? Would you like specific colors? Blanket size?

I'd love to help out just let me know what all of the specifics are....or if there are no specifics, well let me know that too. :-)

I am keeping their family in my prayers!!!!

snephenie
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd be happy to help out with this! Just let me know where to send it to.

We did the caps for america last year and that pattern knit up SUPER quick, for anytime who is afraid of time restraints.

itsjustmeghan
08-08-2007, 05:27 PM
i'm up for anything! so if you want to tackle a blanket, you go right ahead. if you want to do a hat, we could certainly do the pattern that snephenie has.
why don't you PM me your address and what you want to knit if you need any yarn. i'm off to walmart tonight to buy some yarn to start up. my knitting group at work has quite a few people volunteering as well.
blankets should be about crib size. i'm sure the hat pattern has measurements for newborns, etc.
i guess a time frame would be fine. i might just start a blog where i can post pictures of progress so their family can see all of the love being put into the projects being worked on in memory of their son.
would that be okay? i'm kinda throwing this all together. i've pm'd shendeh to ask for feedback and support.

let me know what other ideas you have, and PM me if you need yarn and what for.
thank you all so much!! it means so much!!!
:yay:

pandaca
08-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I will definitely make a couple of preemie hats, and I have plenty of yarn. Where should I send them?

itsjustmeghan
08-09-2007, 09:19 AM
i'm in the process of setting up a blog right now.
it's at http://www.knittingforvincent.org
my DH is going to help me redesign it this weekend complete with a list of volunteers (and links to their blogs if you'd like), a button to post in your blogs or in siggies, tally of blankets and hats completed, and photos of works completed/in progress.
So far, between friends and my kh.com family I have about 17 volunteers right now! :woot:
i bought $50 worth of yarn last night and cleared out my stash, so i'm hoping to get my coworkers working on projects today.
i'll PM you with the mailing address where you can send completed projects. if you want you can also email me pictures of yourself stitching away, or pictures of you and the completed projects.

blankets don't have to be the full crib size. i'd say a receiving blanket size would be more then enough. also, do a variety of sizes for hats you knit. not all of the babies in their neonatal department are premature. i know vincent was a full term baby.

i also just wanted to thank you all again. i've never met such a wonderful group of giving and caring people as i have on this forum. kh.com really does make me happy. :yay: hats off to you, folks. you are all great people!

lestrella
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
My condolences to your friends and their family. I would love to participate on this. Do we send the items directly to the hospital or to you?

itsjustmeghan
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Hooray! Thank you for adding your name to the list, Lestrella. anything you can make will be so appreciated!
i'll have you send it to me, so i can photograph, wash and package up blankets and hats in bundles to send off to the hospital. i'll PM you where to send it! thank you SO much!

website is getting there. i need to get pictures up, and change the one on the banner up top. it should be done this weekend!

http://www.knittingforvincent.org

knitwit628
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
I would love to help! I have already started on a baby blue hat to fit a full term baby and have found 3 other preemie hats I knit recently that I could send along. Do you have a due date for the items? School will be starting soon for me, but I will try to send you what I can. Also, would you like baby booties as well? I have 2 or 3 pairs and can knit a couple more if you'd like. Whatever works for you. And I have my own stash of baby yarn so you don't have to worry about supplying me with any. I'm a slow knitter, but will try to contribute in some way. :)

And good start on your website!

~Alexandria~

Sanibelle
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I can make a few hats - I have tons of yarn.

Does anyone have a good pattern to use to make them?

knitwit628
08-11-2007, 03:24 PM
As far as baby hats, I am using this:

http://www.newbornsinneed.org/html/knit_hat.html - Knit patterns (not knit in the round. It is knit flat)

I hope this pattern is ok, Meghan. I was thinking about making one or more of each size... Is this fine? Or are you looking for something else?

itsjustmeghan
08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
any pattern, any size and any donation will be greatly appreciated!!! i'll take it all!
thank you all SO much for donating! you really have no idea how awesome that is!
i'll pm you all with my mailing address later. my internet is actually down, i just wanted to check in here (i'm at the inlaw's house)

website will hopefully finished being designed soon. pending internet coming back up...stupid construction!:tap:

momwolf
08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Count me in for a few items. :cheering:

Doodknitwit
08-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm working on a coupe things..:hug:

debinoz
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a round ripple I crocheted for my upcoming great-niece/nephew. Come to find out it's a girl and the blanket has blue, green and burgandy... definately not girl colors. So I'd be honored to send it to you in memory of little Vincent. Just pm me your address and I'll get it out this week-end.

Lisa Kay
08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
How very, very sad. My heart just aches for Vincent's family and friends.

I would be honored to partipate in this project. I have a couple hats made already, and will work on a few more.

Here's another link to patterns (knit flat and seamed, crochet, and knit on DPN's.)

http://www.warmupamerica.com/Jul06_kit.html

cheley
08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Hooray! Thank you for adding your name to the list, Lestrella. anything you can make will be so appreciated!
i'll have you send it to me, so i can photograph, wash and package up blankets and hats in bundles to send off to the hospital. i'll PM you where to send it! thank you SO much!

website is getting there. i need to get pictures up, and change the one on the banner up top. it should be done this weekend!

http://www.knittingforvincent.org Yea, count me in too!!!! Already have "preemie hats" done...Let us know where to send:hug: Cheley

itsjustmeghan
08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.knittingforvincent.org

it's officially up and running! ryan also made us a button for your blogs and signatures. we've notified the family what we're up to.
don't you just feel all warm and fuzzy inside?:woot:

ETA: SEE LATER POST WITH CORRECT SIZE FOR BUTTON

Lisa Kay
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
ryan also made us a button for your blogs and signatures.

Okay, I can't seem to get the button into my signature. I've done this before, but no dice today for some reason. How do I get this into my signature? :??

itsjustmeghan
08-14-2007, 12:31 PM
i uploaded the wrong photo,
it was too big.....
here's the right file size. you should be able to upload it into your sigi page now

astonh
08-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Megan,

Just wanted to thank you again for the opportunity to knit something for this cause. I received the absolutely GORGEOUS yarn yesterday and cast on today. Unfortunately, it is a bit TOO nice (small and slick) of yarn so I've had to frog a couple times already but think I'm getting used to this yarn so will hopefully get groovin' soon.

I'm actually taking this opportunity (since a small project) to try and do something other than just knit/purl.

I'll be in touch soon.

itsjustmeghan
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
:woot:
glad you like it and that i'm enabling you both to learn new things, and get exposure to knitpicks yarn. it's all great! thank you again!!!

lestrella
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay, I can't seem to get the button into my signature. I've done this before, but no dice today for some reason. How do I get this into my signature? :??

That makes two of us. I went to "edit signature" and uploaded the button. Apparently it was there, but it doesn't show.:gah:

Anyway, I have a few items already. I'll put some pictures when I get a chance. I would like to make a few more and mail them all together.

:hug:

Lisa Kay
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
here's the right file size. you should be able to upload it into your sigi page now

Thanks! I got it to work! :thumbsup:

itsjustmeghan
08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
it's so neat seeing that button in people's signatures! hehehehe. :woohoo:

HollyP
08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a blanket and a couple of hats. The blanket was made for a friend who didn't want to know the baby's sex so I crocheted one in pink and one in blue. She had a girl so I'd be happy to give the blue one. I also have some hats I knit for the caps for the capital that somehow got left behind at my lys. I was so angry I took them there thinking they would be sent off but somehow one box got put away in the store room. They just gave them back to me last night. Now I think it was meant to be! Just Pm me you address and I will be happy to sent them to you.

astonh
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Finished my first baby hat this weekend and am starting a second one! I'll hopefully have some goodies to send you way VERY soon, megan! Thanks again for coordinating this effort.

LauraD
08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
I just started knitting preemie hats so I would love to join in, could you pm me where to send them?

threesmom
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd like to help out too. My cousin lost her infant a few years ago, and I'd like to do it for both Vincent, and her baby, William.

I'd like to do a small blanket - how much worsted weight do I need? I probably have it, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for organizing this Meghan!

lestrella
08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
meghan, I sent my items 2 days ago. You should be getting them tomorrow.

itsjustmeghan
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
thank you so much! i'm running behind on getting pictures up. i hope to solve that problem this weekend! so many boxes!:muah:

knitwit628
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Lestrella-

I was looking at the Knitting for Vincent blog, and saw that you had made the bunny blanket. What pattern did you use and what yarn? The yarn looks like Red Heart Baby Clouds to me, but I might be wrong. I was just wondering because I have some Red Heart Baby Clouds yarn in my stash and thought that it might be a good item to donate. Thanks! :)

itsjustmeghan
09-03-2007, 07:10 PM
i'm not lestrella, but i've seen a similar pattern.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60259
it's through lionyarns, so you'll have to "subscribe" (just create an id) to see the pattern, but it's super cute. it's on my list of stuff to knit. i have a skein of the homespun in white that i was going to use to make one of these too!

how are your knits coming along? i can't wait to see progress!:woot:

lestrella
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
That's the pattern I used. They ask for velvespun, but I used homespun because that's what I had available. I think any soft yarn will do.

letah75
09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I've got one hat down, and another almost finished. I will be going on vacation next week, and should have some knitting time while I'm gone. Once I get back I hope to have some more hats, and possibly some booties done for you.

lestrella
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Meghan, the helicopter pattern I got it from "Knitting for Noggins". Here is the link:

http://www.archildrens.org/pdf/volunteer/K4N/k4n_patterns.pdf

knitwit628
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to say that I have been knitting a little more for Vincent's charity and today I learned how to crochet just so I could make a blanket or two to donate! Some people have told me it's faster to crochet a blanket so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. :cheering:

itsjustmeghan
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
:cheering: hooray!!! thank you so much! and that's awesome you learned how to crochet. i really like switching back and forth. some things are easier to crochet. other things are just easier to knit. :thumbsup:

itsjustmeghan
11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
I just wanted to post this here for all of the knitters/crocheters that have donated or who want to donate in the future.
Vincent's mom wrote me months ago saying she was going to write a thank you, and she said she's finally gotten to the point where she knew what to say.

"We just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to Knitting for Vincent. It has been a very difficult couple of months, but seeing everyone reach out, many being people we have never met, has touched us so much and has helped lessen our pain. We are moving forward and seeing the amazing things that have been knitted and knowing that they will help other sick babies is so comforting. Although Vincent was only on this earth for a short time, he obviously made such an impact and touched so many lives. The beauty of Knitting for Vincent is that he will continue to effect other people as long as you continue knitting and we can't think of a better way to honor him. Thank you again. Your dedication and acts of love and kindness has helped our family tremendously.

Love, Jen, Luke and Benjamin"

Thank you again for all of your work, and like i said, if anyone wants to knit or crochet more, i'll donate in his name as long as packages keep coming. Please PM me if you want information or need some yarn for a project. I'm more the willing to share!

:muah:

Ayla
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I would be very honored to knit in honor of his memory. Is the offer for yarn still avaliable? Please pm me if it is. I am planning on doing a blanket and hat.