PDA

View Full Version : Male Knitters Advise Needed (women welcome too)

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Let's say that you are a die hard fan for your favorite NFL team. You recently learned that your co-worker can knit fabulous items and immediately request a scarf and/or hat & other any other accessories in your favorite team colors.

What scarf pattern (including both colors) would be most desirable to wear while tailgating with friends in the cold? Any other patterns for hats or mittens that you would actually wear and be warm?

Where would you shop to get the yarn in the right color? A variation of the color won't go well with a sea of fans in matching colors.

Thanks so much!

Sara
08-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I would use the striped Harry Potter scarf pattern from Atypically Knit. http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml

It's done in the round, so it's cushy and cozy. I would order online from somebody with a good return policy. I would probably look for Cascade 220 superwash yarn. Or apparently, the new Vanna White worsted yarn is acrylic, but nice, with good colors.

Which team are we talking about?

Jan in CA
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I assume this is for a man so I'd say something like the HP scarf link posted by Sara, or you could just do a mostly solid scarf/hat with a stripe or two of the other color on the ends. If you do fringe you could use both colors.

As for yarn..you live in NY so wool or other warm fiber would probably be the best.

Braden
08-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I would do an intarsia scarf with the team's logo at both ends. That, I would wear.

cftwo
08-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Perfect idea! I've been wondering what to get one of my friends. He's a HUGE Cleveland Browns fan and I know he doesn't have a Browns scarf. I'd probably do mostly brown with some orange stripes at the ends (or maybe 2 orange stripes and 1 white stripe at each end). The Browns really don't have a logo. Brown hat, orange brim or stripes.

I live in Steeler land, and would only attempt the Steeler logo for very special friends who were die-hard fans. Too many triangles and different colors. But I would do a black and gold scarf/hat combo.

Edited to add: my LYS has a whole section of black and gold yarns just for Steelers' projects. Right as you walk in the door, too! I'd probably start with a washable wool for the scarf and hat for a guy.

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
This is for a Chicago Bears fan. I love the idea of knitting it in the round! The color changes won't show then on the WS. I hate to ask this question but I'm not a big HP fan, any pictures available of the finished product?

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Perfect idea! I've been wondering what to get one of my friends. He's a HUGE Cleveland Browns fan and I know he doesn't have a Browns scarf. I'd probably do mostly brown with some orange stripes at the ends (or maybe 2 orange stripes and 1 white stripe at each end). The Browns really don't have a logo. Brown hat, orange brim or stripes.

I live in Steeler land, and would only attempt the Steeler logo for very special friends who were die-hard fans. Too many triangles and different colors. But I would do a black and gold scarf/hat combo.

I think we just came up with a new marketing idea for knitting designers. Patterns of all sorts for your favorite sports team! People would definitely pay for that! (I know I would)

mrs desert rain
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Go Steelers!!!

The first project that came to mind was a hat with attached ear covers -- perhaps a blue hat with the orange insignia.

I used this program a while back for a logo: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Perhaps it can help you knit the "C"

redheadrachel
08-08-2007, 02:34 PM
He's a HUGE Cleveland Browns fan and I know he doesn't have a Browns scarf. I'd probably do mostly brown with some orange stripes at the ends (or maybe 2 orange stripes and 1 white stripe at each end). The Browns really don't have a logo. Brown hat, orange brim or stripes.

The Browns logo is the orange football helmet.

Sorry to hear you live in Steeler land :doh:

lol ;)

PCwombat
08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's my two finished HP scarves. I did what is called the Prisoner of Azkaban scarf (a repeating trapped bar color pattern).

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Go Steelers!!!

The first project that came to mind was a hat with attached ear covers -- perhaps a blue hat with the orange insignia.

I used this program a while back for a logo: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Perhaps it can help you knit the "C"

I just tried the site but they're having server problems. I'll try again later.

I think I'll try knitting in the round using the HP stripe pattern and then adding a big C on each end. Main color in blue with orange as the stripes and C. What do you think?

I normally just use what someone else has written, I NEVER write my own patterns. How boring am I?!?!

JGM
08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Here ya go :) http://store.chicagobears.com/store/item.asp?department_id=106&filtertype=department&keyword=&store_player_id=NULL&price_range_id=NULL&pg=1&store_item_color_id=2039&item_id=2504

If you don't want to do the text and logo in instarsia, this should at least give you a good idea on the stripes.

Also, I think they're throwback uniforms are just blue and orange stripes (kinda like a refs jersey) so you could just do a blue and orange scarf with even stripes.

beckyrhae
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm going to knit a Fauxhawk hat with the Green Bay "G" like the helmets. The hawk part will be green and white. Hopefully it will look as close to the helmet as a fauxhawk can ... LOL

I'm making them to wear to the Green Bay at Dallas game the week after Thanksgiving. When my BIL found out, he asked for a Dallas one as well.

I'm very excited about them... will post pictures once I start.

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Here ya go :) http://store.chicagobears.com/store/item.asp?department_id=106&filtertype=department&keyword=&store_player_id=NULL&price_range_id=NULL&pg=1&store_item_color_id=2039&item_id=2504

If you don't want to do the text and logo in instarsia, this should at least give you a good idea on the stripes.

Also, I think they're throwback uniforms are just blue and orange stripes (kinda like a refs jersey) so you could just do a blue and orange scarf with even stripes.

I like it but I want it to look special and homemade. $22 for a scarf?!?!?! The yarn is probably going to cost more than that! Ugh - so frustrating!

Thanks for sharing though - I like the white stripe in the middle. I hadn't thought about adding that but it looks very cool.

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm going to knit a Fauxhawk hat with the Green Bay "G" like the helmets. The hawk part will be green and white. Hopefully it will look as close to the helmet as a fauxhawk can ... LOL

I'm making them to wear to the Green Bay at Dallas game the week after Thanksgiving. When my BIL found out, he asked for a Dallas one as well.

I'm very excited about them... will post pictures once I start.

We should start a NFL knit-along!

JGM
08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean buy it, just steal the design :D

Mommy22alyns
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I think we just came up with a new marketing idea for knitting designers. Patterns of all sorts for your favorite sports team! People would definitely pay for that! (I know I would)

And color-coordinated yarns? I'd have a fit over Braves patterns & yarns!! :woohoo:

debinoz
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
I've gotten 2 cheifs scarves and hats done and have 6 more different teams to go. I took the easy way out on one of them and just knit lengthwise, double stranded in the two main colors. No color changes and no knitting in the round. Next up is the Browns for my nephew... I always tease him and call them the oranges.... ;)

Knitting_Guy
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I would do an intarsia scarf with the team's logo at both ends. That, I would wear.

I agree 100%

dustinac
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I made a scarf for my dh... he goes all out for WVU... but if he wanted a Detroit Lions scarf... I'd replace the floating WV with the lion...

cookworm
08-09-2007, 12:23 AM
This is a fun, great thread! I was at a LYS recently, and they had a really cool scarf using some thinner yarn (maybe DK or sportweight?)--the two colors of the regional NFL team twisted together. No logos or stripes or anything and no NFL references nearby to tip you off that this is what the scarf was representing, but you sure could tell what it was supposed to be for! It was really cool--in fact, I stopped dead in my tracks on my way to oogle Noro to check it out :wink:. Looks to me like it was just done in stockinette stitch on bigger needles because the "v's" were chunkier.

My son recently just started playing football for his school, and now I'm thinking it might be fun to make him a hat in his school colors--thanks for the idea, guys! :cheering::happydance: He's been wanting a hat and this might be perfect.

Knitting_Guy
08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Another idea would be to do an illusion scarf with the logo.

tarrentella
08-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Not another bears fan!!

Im a long time Falcolns fan and one of my best freinds is a Bears fan so we have quite a rivalry going! i think i need to get us some scarves made! - could be tricky finding just the right shades of yarn!

That WV scarf is fantastic, im not sure im up to that!

dustinac
08-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Another idea would be to do an illusion scarf with the logo.

ohh that would be cool... :think:

tarrentella~check out Amy's video of double knitting... I just googled for Knitting Graph paper and then charted it out... not hard at all :thumbsup:...

larudden
08-09-2007, 08:35 AM
How 'bout the Patriots? That's my team and my sisters, who has had season's tickets for years and is definitely in line for some knitted logo wear.

But the logo...............UGH...................I've never done anything "hard" before, and trying to do a Pat's logo might fall under that category.

I like the HP scarf idea, knitting in the round. I love knitting in the round......................

Hmmmmm, definitely a KAL in the making. Who's gonna start it?

Go Pats!

larudden
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Would this be hard to chart? I'm such a weenie........

suziehomemaker
08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I just created a new knit along for this:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=929472#post929472

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the sports knitting bug!

larudden
08-09-2007, 09:15 AM
OK, this has nothing to do with scarves, but I was searching for a Patriots logo and came across a gal on eBay that makes the coolest purses out of scraps of fabric. Of course, being in NFL mode, I immediately thought of the team logo fabric. What I loved about her purses is that, when the fabric is joined, she ties the two pieces together and lets the ends stick out on the outside. It's a neat look. I'm thinking of one for my sister in Patriots logo fabric.
http://cgi.ebay.com/fabric-PATCHWORK-rag-bag-PURSE-KNITTING-PATTERN-so-cool_W0QQitemZ320141836508QQihZ011QQcategoryZ83930 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

mulene
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Illusion scarf is a great idea IMO.

Also Irish Hiking Scarf (every man I know LOVES this scarf) and do the cables in the contrasting team colour =D