PDA

View Full Version : New baby sweater I designed

MerigoldinWA
08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Here is the new baby sweater I designed and knit. I just finished it last night. I started with the idea of making a sweater with a cable around the body and wanting to do it in one piece with a yoke. I picked out this cable from one of the Harmony stitch guides. It turns out that a cable wants to curl some so I tired to remedy that a bit by adding a couple of rows of crochet at the bottom. :eyes:

I decided to add some more bobbles to the yoke and did some multicolor corrugated ribbing at cuffs and neck. I tried not to go too far with embellishments. :ick: But I can always think of one more thing to do. :lol:

I didn't have any buttons that would go, and just to find a Wal-Mart I have to travel 35 miles, much of anything else is 75 miles away. :figureditout: So I got the idea to add crocheted buttons to match the bobbles. I think it works.

The gray is really a bit darker and slightly heathered, the blue is a bit more teal and darker, the orange is very bright, but a little darker than it looks. Yarn is acrylic, Patons Astra, a sport weight yarn.

I think the hippie in me shows a little here. ;) What do you think? The sweater is about a 6 month size.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/Cable-bobblesweater.jpg

Here is the back.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/cable-bobbleback.jpg

If anybody wants to see any details of how I attached the buttons or close ups of cable, or cuffs you can go here (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/) and look at more pictures.

wildforyarn
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
I love it! Are you going to share or sell the pattern for it?

Grandmaknits
08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh Meri,

You have done it again! How wonderful, what mama wouldn't want this little sweater. You really had fun with this one...

Fran

Jan in CA
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Very cute!!

redheadrachel
08-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Ahhhhhh, it's too cute!! lol I love the bright colors and detailing on the ends of the sleeves - very clever!

nonny2t
08-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Cute!

Slim
08-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Wow! It's so bright and pretty, and I love the cable detail. Yes, your hip roots are showing, but that's a good thing. Love it!

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Slim is right..I see a 70's child in there somewhere..if not chronologically..in spirit! That is great..a real celebration burst :) I'll buy a pattern if I can get it online! :)

astonh
08-09-2007, 10:15 AM
This is one of the most beautiful and "hip" little sweaters I've ever seen. Looks like it was a doozy to do (but that is from someone who hasn't learned much more than a stockingnette stitch thus far - LOL). Absolutely GORGEOUS design and the colors are way too cool! I want one for ME!

You are a true artist and this work of art is beautiful. Congratulations on completing this and thank you for sharing the pix of it with us.

Jennifer N
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
That's fabulous!
I love your creativity.

Fleurs
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Congratulations, you did a good job.

Jaxhil
08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
That's adorable! So bright and cheery! Great job!

mare-nitt
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, it is as cute as a button.

MerigoldinWA
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. :notworthy: I did have a lot of fun with this one. The creative process is so much fun. That's what WE ALL love about knitting!!

A couple have asked about the pattern and if I could share it. :shrug: Maybe. I've tried to write down what I was doing as I went, but trying to make it all make sense to others would be the challenge. :eyes: I have very little experience writing out patterns. If I ever come up with something that I think would make sense to someone else how would I go about sharing it?

larudden
08-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Way Cool!
http://www.3sistersbeads.com/Hippie%20Girl.jpg

sue in canada
08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
That is so unique. Really cute. Great job

jeanius80
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
mer- what an adorable sweater :) i think my favorite parts are the multi-colored ribbing and the cable! W O W

KnittingNat
08-11-2007, 06:52 AM
That's a cute little sweater! I love it! And the cable and the details are really nice:cheering:

MerigoldinWA
08-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Thank you friends, from near and far (noting where you all are :-)) Merigold

ArtLady1981
08-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi Merigold! :waving:

YOU ROCK!
What an adorable, unusual little sweater! Not a "run of the mill" sweater by any means!

WOW! :passedout:

We are leaving at the crack of dawn...for our final summertime week on Nighthawk Summit up by Republic!
No internet access...it is 'off the grid' so to speak...so, no KH FOR A WEEK! :waah:

But on the cheerier side: I will get a TON OF KNITTING DONE! :knitting:

Will check in on y'all next Sunday evening! Bye for now! :waving: