PDA

View Full Version : Warning Ladies Thread: anyone here use Mooncups or Diva Cups?

mulene
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I've been reading about these a lot lately - obviously with all the talk of climate change etc and reading just how much waste we women produce by using disposable sanitary products once a month for the better part of 35 years got me thinking.

I've heard of these before but never been brave enough to try till now - I got mine in the post the other day but waiting for the right time to use it *cough*

Anyway theres this amazing site in the UK called Daisybox online and they do all sorts of environmentally friendly products for women.

Anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

KnittingNat
08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I've never used one, but could you update us when you try it? I'd love to pollute less and also save money :think:... Tell us if it's comfortable...I'd love to hear about your experience

mulene
08-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I've never used one, but could you update us when you try it? I'd love to pollute less and also save money :think:... Tell us if it's comfortable...I'd love to hear about your experience

I am happy to do so :) I have a friend who uses it when I saw this article on Daisybox in a newspaper supplement a couple of weeks ago I mentioned it to her. She said "Oh yeah I've been using it for years but mine's called a Diva Cup and I imported it from Canada about 5 years ago"

She said its very good and easy to use but takes a bit of getting used to - a couple of cycles she suggested.

ChroniclesofYarnia
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I've used a Diva for five years now, and absolutely love it. I wouldn't go back to pads and tampons for anything. I've also converted two of my friends. :)

I recommend practicing inserting before your period, just to get the hang of it. You also might want to wear a pad the first couple cycles, just until you figure out how much you need to empty it and such. (My first 3 days I have to empty it 2 to 3 times a day, after that once in the shower is just fine. All depends on the flow.)

Anyhow, if you have specific questions I can answer most of them. lol. I wanted to give my two thumbs up on this product, cause it really did make my life so much easier. (and saved me loads!)

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 09:47 AM
This is a new one on me. I'm afraid I've had a hysterectomy and bled for more than 120 days straight before I did. And I would flood every hour or so - enough to go through clothes. Needless to say I wasn't that well. I used an all cotton product - both pads and tampons. Sounds like the item you're suggesting would not have been suitable for me but I guess women with light and regular periods would be fine. Is it like a test tube shape?

Mind you, I smiled at the thread title cos I thought you were talking bra cups and I thought..hmm..some men may really want to know this :)

Jax3303
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I've been using a Diva Cup for about 6 years now. I have REALLY HEAVY flows (like needing a super plus tampon AND a regular pad and still have to change both after 1 1/2 hrs). With the Diva, I only need to dump it about 4 times in 24hrs on my heavy days. It has gotten rid of my period cramps. I know several women who use Diva's and some that use Keepers (virtually the same as a diva, but made with natural gum rubber). It does take some practice to get it in right, and when you first get it, you will be shocked at how large it seems. Just make sure you order the right size for you, and trim the tip so it doesn't poke you.

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I had to wear two super tampons at once and two pads..front and back with an overlap and change every hour on the dot. But that sounds reassuring JaX3303. I DO so agree that the cost..apart from the environmental one..is phenomenal. I was spending $35 a week on protection at one point. Ridiculous. Few families these days can sustain that kind of expenditure.

Well, you learn something every day and that's for sure!

mulene
08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Yep got to admit when I saw it I was like :shock: thats HUGE! I didn't expect it to be so flexible either I dunno why.

LOL about bra cup sizes - as I posted it the thought did cross my mind hahaha

mulene
08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Is it like a test tube shape?

No its more of a kinda cup shape. More info about them here:

http://www.divacup.com/

and

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks mulene..it's interesting to know these things...simply in the sense of talking to younger woman (or same age as me!) and knowing alternatives. I think it would be, initially, a trust thing for me but fascinating.

Can you say swim with it in? I ask because I do know women who train in the sea and they are ok with tampons as long as they change immediately they get out. I presume your muscles just naturally contract around it so it should be fine.

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
LOL well..you know that uplift cup things..I thought "diva"..ok..for a bustier and moon..well..you want nice upright, round shape :)

KnittingNat
08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds really tempting... How about allergies? And irritation? I have a mild form of vestibulitis, which is by itself a major PITA, so anymore uncomfortable feelings are not for me. Can you feel it throughout the day or it's totally comfy?

Jax3303
08-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Can you feel it throughout the day or it's totally comfy?

the only time I could feel it was when I first got it before I learned I needed to cut off the stem. Most people only need to trim it, I cut off completely.

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
KnittingNat..I think it's one of those things you need to try but I also had an allergy problem and am sympathetic. At one point the cotton brand I used must have altered a process or biochemically I changed as I suddenly got a circle of strong irritation and suddenly had to drop the cotton line for a while. If these objects were made say from latex I imagine many people would find them impossible but sounds like a couple of different versions and makes on the market and I guess manufacturers would work to minimise irritation because so many women have that issue.

Jax, you don't find it hard to remove by cutting the whole stem off? Obviously not..but I guess there's a technique :)

You know..and forgive me..but my sense of humour is kicking in... you know those women who have like 6 inch nails..well..how on earth do they deal with these things without slicing themselves! :roflhard:

Jax3303
08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Jax, you don't find it hard to remove by cutting the whole stem off? Obviously not..but I guess there's a technique :)

well, honestly, you can't be afraid to stick your fingers up there. even with the stem you have to reach in to pinch the sides of the cup to release the suction to pull it out, I just find it easier without the stem. The damned thing was poking me all the time (and not in a good way)...LMAO

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
:yay:

Kaydee
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I had a friend who used the Mooncup and raves about it. I've looked into it but I've always been a little nervous to use it.

stitchwitch
08-09-2007, 10:48 AM
How about removing it? Is it a mess to remove? I'm a mess most of the time anyway due to really, really heavy periods.

mum2caden
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I LOVE my divacup and I really recommend them to anyone. They are so much better than tampons. They have a bit a of a learning curve (not unlike when you use a tampon for the first time though) but it only took me about 2 days to get it down and it was fabulous!

Here is a great site with tons of info:
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/

And here is a ton of info on folding techniques: http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html

And here is a great comparison of all the brands you can get: http://www.busybusymomma.com/MC.html

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
It took TWO days to get it down???

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

ROARS with laughter..that is a classic

mum2caden..comment of the day LOL (only the word 'up' could have bettered it) LOL

feministmama
08-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I think the Diva cup is too big for me. I have a small canal. But aafter reading that link I just might try the moon cup.

I use reusable flannel cotton pads anyway. They are so much softer and more comfortable then store brand pads.

The reason why tampons are so uncomfrotable is that its a piece of rayon soaked in bleach. Rayon does not absorb very well and your body is ingesting bleach every time you use one. They do make natural cotton undyed unbleached tampons. THey might feel better.

There's all kinds of alternatives out there. TOo bad most of the retails stores around only choose to sell bleached yucky products.

mum2caden
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Glad I could amuse you so, lol. I am guessing not everyone uses that term when saying they have mastered, or figured out something new? hehe

Ronda
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I used to use tampons, but after having babies, they are way too uncomfortable anymore. I've been using pads exclusively for the last 9 years now, and I hate them, too. I don't know about this though. I used those Today Sponges and had a heck of a time "finding" it to remove it on a couple of occasions, so I have to wonder how easy it is to remove this thing.

ChroniclesofYarnia
08-09-2007, 03:31 PM
It's really easy to remove, you just break the seal that you made with the cup with a finger, and then pull it out. You'll get the hang of pulling it and dumping without making a mess. It goes over your cervix, and you won't lose it.

Susan P.
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
mum2caden.. I get all giggly and silly when overtired :) Yes we do have the saying..it was just the context here. :)
Thanks for being gracious about my sense of humour.

mrs desert rain
08-09-2007, 07:05 PM
i've used natracare non-applicator tampons for a few years now -- these are organic and all-cotton. i love them! but i've been looking into the moon cup. whole foods sells something like that (or perhaps that brand; can't remember), and i've already got it on my list for my weekend market run...

mum2caden
08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Actually I thought it was hilarious.. I just wasn't sure how to respond without sounding kinda well, nasty without meaning too lol. I have a weird sense of humor too lol.

LibraryLady
08-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I've been using a Diva cup for a year or so and really love it! As soon as I heard about it, I switched. I swim for exercise and really hated having to take a break during my cycle. This is excellent for swimming!

Many years ago I had to quit using tampons. I kept having problems due to having them in. Not only does a tampon absorb the menstrual flow, but also the other natural lubricants and schtuff (that's a highly technical medical term) in the vagina. This put my body out of whack and I had re-ocurring issues with vaginitis, yeast infections and urinary tract infections. Once I quit using them, the problems cleared up.

As far as the allergy issue, the Diva cup is made of silicone and not latex. I wouldn't be able to use it, otherwise!

LL

DianaM
08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Hmmm........I'd never heard of them and it sounds very interesting.

I was reading through the site and I have one question. It says that one model is for women under 30 and the other for women over 30.
I will be 30 next year. Which model would I have to buy?

I know....strange question XD

Spikey
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm a fairly new user (~3 months) of the Diva Cup and love it! It did take a little getting used to, and you do have to be willing to...uh...do what it takes to get it in and out, but once you are used to it, it is terrific. And I have pretty long nails. :oo:

I really can't see going back to tampons, for many of the reasons others have stated.

Plus it came with an adorable little diva daisy pin. :)

I also use their organic cotton pantyliners every day and they are great. So comfortable - and so nice to have something reusable instead of disposable.

Krystal
08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I am so glad to see trustable testimonials here. I have been waffling back and forth every so often when it comes up.

I finally did a store locater and sure enough, a health store in the mall sells them.

Next Friday FH and I are taking the day off work to do the last few errands for the wedding, so I will stop in and pick one up.

This sounds perfect, since I love tampons, hate pads, and love to sleep in on weekends. With tampons I can't do that, and with pads it's difficult... (bunching, twisting, folding, leaking.... :oops:) I also have a pretty light flow so tampons are only good for the first day or so.

Can't wait to try it!

feministmama
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Anyone ever use natural sea sponges :??

newamy
08-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Lately I switched to the 7th generation no applicator tampons- they are unbleached and much less waste- celophane wrapper and very small cardboard box. They are more comfortable than the standard. So for a less intimidating alternative- that might be something for people to look into.

I've heared of Diva and Moon cups- may have to really consider trying one after these rave reviews.

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Hmmm........I'd never heard of them and it sounds very interesting.

I was reading through the site and I have one question. It says that one model is for women under 30 and the other for women over 30.
I will be 30 next year. Which model would I have to buy?

I know....strange question XD

Get the larger- these cups can be used for up to 10 years. The only difference b/w the two is that one is just a tiny bit bigger. I have the #2 because I am 26 and have a son... but he was a c-section baby, so nothing changed, if you know what I mean, lol. I don't find it too big- you fold it up to get it in there anyway and the actual difference in size is only a couple millimeters.

Honestly.. the small ones are more for teens or someone who finds sex really painful because they are very small (which is not all that common, since that area is meant to stretch) If you are having sex, well, the average penis will be bigger than a folded cup.. so if you can do that then getting the larger cup would probably be fine.

Sorry to be so blunt lol, but I didn't know how else to say that! :)

debinoz
08-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I showed this thread to my dd's and didn't get very enthusiastic comments. youngest said she was going to barf and oldest said, "you have to stick your finger up there to get it out??! No way!!!" Other than that I was wondering if they were really comfortable. I can't even use tampons because I had some small spots burnt from my cervix which still bother me and I'm concerned about how much pressure there is. Hope you know what I mean, I didn't explain very well.

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Debi- it really depends on your body shape. Some women the cup will position itself fairly low and that's where it will always go to- and that is far from the cervix. For me, well I was told many times over the past few years when i go get paps, that my cervix is very high up- much more than usual, so obviously my cup goes up much higher. I don't know how close to my cervix the cup actually sits, but that I do have to 'push' the cup to lower it and get it out (actually quite easy for all wondering- makes it so you aren't digging around, it just lowers and you can get it out easily).

I have heard some women say that they believe their cervix actually sits right in the cup- so really, it is hard to know until you test one out.. and even when you do, some people need a cycle or two to adjust to the cup. I didn't, but most do I would think.

The good news is that divacups have a one year warranty, so you can try it out and give it a really fair chance... and if it really doesn't work, you send it back and they will give you your money back (keep the receipt just in case, imo). And for anyone asking- no they don't reuse them, lol. I heard they actually punch huge holes in them if they get any back, so no one can use them again...

humblestumble
08-10-2007, 01:00 AM
I love the divacup. I'd not go without it. I love that I only have to pay about 32 bucks for life. I boil it every now and then to sterilize it.

BEST OF ALL!!! I never feel like I am dying with those horrible bleach induced cramps. I used to have cramps SO dibilitating, and now my cramps are just annoying.

The first few times I used it, I felt it up there all the time. However, I must note that I am a virgin, so I am not used to having much up there. Divacup is a larger diameter than a tampon. Now, once it's up there, I cannot feel it after a while, and you can wear it anywhere - in the water, doing exercises, or whatever else you do! At night, I wear a pad though for security because the cup slips position sometimes.

misstialouise
08-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm a Diva cupper... I've converted 2 friends, and am working on my sister (mum's almost in menopause, and can't be bothered)

IMO they're a lot less 'gross' than using tampons. It takes a few gos to get it 'in right', but once in, is not even noticable! I have to remind myself that I even HAVE my period and to empty the cup. I empty 2-3 times a day, pending heaviness of flow.

If I ever have a daughter, I will be teaching her about using a cup, rather than the disposable alternatives.

ETA: About allergies. It's made with surgical silicone, so is hypoallergenic :D

NakedPancakes
08-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Wow. I had never heard of either of those. o.o
Erm.
I usually use pads though..

Do you think this is more sanitary than tampons and such?

misstialouise
08-10-2007, 01:39 AM
think this is more sanitary than tampons and such?

Absolutely!

I wipe mine out and wash it in hot water with each change (which is usually while I'm at home). It gets boiled at the beginning and end of each period.

When you think about it. You're going to the toilet anyway, and aren't really getting 'rid' of anything extra. There's no 'rubbish' that will sit in a bathroom / bin / landfill tip / processing plant that will fester and get gross.

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Do you think this is more sanitary than tampons and such?

Definitely. I am assuming you know what toxic shock syndrome is? Well, basically it is caused by bacteria from tampons, which, if they are left in too long, will cause you to get very sick and can be fatal. When you remove a tampon, fibers from it can scratch you and leave tiny bits of fiber- which can also lead to problems, and infections. And we have all had issues with tampons that are a little too dry- ouch!

With a cup, they are medical grade silicone- meaning nothing grows on them. They don't absorb anything, so they don't take away your natural moisture and doesn't leave any fiber behind. They can't harbor bacteria the way a tampon does. You can boil them so at the beginning of each cycle they are sterile, and if you feel you need to, you can wash them daily with a mild soap- though personally I haven't needed to do this.

HTH!

Susan P.
08-10-2007, 02:17 AM
mum2caden..watch out..the diva company will make you a PR person soon :)

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Oddly enough- I contacted a talk show here about them (Rachael Ray.. because I love to cook and listen to talk shows lol) and they actually got back to me wanting me to film a clip about it to send in. I would do it, but I have no need to be on TV lol. I am just sorry I can't let more people know about them!

And because I am such a geek- I got the divacup people to send my flyers, that I plan to leave in the bathrooms at my college when I go back next month..

Yeah I know- I am crazy! :)

NakedPancakes
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
You guys really have persueded me to try this out.

I am only 15 though, so I guess I'd have to talk to my mom about it. :???:

How long are they supposed to last? Like how often would you need to buy a new one?

lissalue
08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
You guys have sold me. I have wondered about these in the past, but never heard about them from anyone I "know". Now that I see all the great opinions from people here, I am ordering today. Thanks for starting this thread, and sharing your experiences.

Edited: i can't order one right now, we only have a discover card, and the site doesn't take discover, so i am going to buy one this weekend.

karendawn
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
After reading this thread, I ordered one last night. Thanks for posting - I had never heard of this before.

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
How long are they supposed to last? Like how often would you need to buy a new one?

They are supposed to last up to ten years, which makes sense since they are the same material that knee replacements and artificial heart valves (etc) are made of. I know that with knee replacements, you get new ones every 15 years or so- and that is on a throughly abused area of the body...

feministmama
08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Oddly enough- I contacted a talk show here about them (Rachael Ray.. because I love to cook and listen to talk shows lol) and they actually got back to me wanting me to film a clip about it to send in. I would do it, but I have no need to be on TV lol. I am just sorry I can't let more people know about them!

I'll do it!!:waving:

Dilly
08-10-2007, 02:15 PM
For those of you that use these cups, what do you do when you are in a public washroom and need to empty the cup? There are some days where I am on the go all day, or at work, and I don't have access to private washrooms. Do you have to leave the stall, wash it in the sink, and then go back into the stall to re-insert it? Although menstruating is a normal part of life, I would be embarrassed to be caught washing it out in a public washroom. It just seems like a personal thing to me.

iza
08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Dilly, I had exactly the same question! :??

Also, is it required to sterilize it, or a good rinse under hot water would do? I would love to try it but I know I'm too lazy to do the whole sterilization thing. :shifty: I'm sure it's better to sterilize it, but I just want to know if it becomes dangerous to use if you don't.

Kaydee
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
For those of you that use these cups, what do you do when you are in a public washroom and need to empty the cup? There are some days where I am on the go all day, or at work, and I don't have access to private washrooms. Do you have to leave the stall, wash it in the sink, and then go back into the stall to re-insert it? Although menstruating is a normal part of life, I would be embarrassed to be caught washing it out in a public washroom. It just seems like a personal thing to me.

This is what the DivaCup website says about it:

What do I do in a public washroom?
Most women find that they do not have to remove The DivaCupô very frequently, and that taking it out in a public washroom does not occur very often. However, for women with heavier flows or on the occasion you need to empty it in a public washroom, simply remove the cup, empty the contents and use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup and reinsert. Make sure your hands are clean before going into the stall. Wash your DivaCupô well with hot soapy water at the next convenient time.

stitchwitch
08-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm such a klutz that I'd probably squeeze the thing and dump it's contents down the front of my pants. I can't see where the removal would be very easy unless you don't flow much.

LibraryLady
08-10-2007, 04:23 PM
This sounds perfect, since I love tampons, hate pads, and love to sleep in on weekends. With tampons I can't do that, and with pads it's difficult... (bunching, twisting, folding, leaking.... :oops:) I also have a pretty light flow so tampons are only good for the first day or so.

Can't wait to try it!

Krystal - Please, PLEASE! don't leave a tampon in for more than 8-10 hours! Actually 6 is better. As mum2caden talks above, Toxic Shock Syndrome can kill you and one of the causes is leaving a tampon in too long. You are placing a foreign object into a very delicate part of your body.

I'm such a klutz that I'd probably squeeze the thing and dump it's contents down the front of my pants. I can't see where the removal would be very easy unless you don't flow much.

stitchwitch - if you're sitting on the toilet, and you've got your pants pulled down to your knees you shouldn't have to worry about spilling on them. You'll only spill into the toilet bowl. I've had heavy flow days, fumbled the darn thing (I'm a klutz too) and never got a drop of blood on my clothes. Hands - yes, but that's easy to fix.

I wash mine with mild hand soap, and I've never felt the need to boil it or sterilize it. I usually don't feel the need to empty it when I'm in a public place, since I'm only gone from home for 9 hours or so for work.

Also, I alternate between this and pads. If I just don't feel in the mood to mess with it or am feeling particularly klutzy, then I use a pad. They are my absolute lifesaver, though, when I want to exercise and swim. The swimming helps to ease my cramping and having the cup in means it doesn't matter if I'm flowing or not.

I do agree with everyone else, learning to get it in just right for my body took some doing, but with practice you'll get it right every time. I practiced on days I wasn't flowing just to get the hang of it.

LL

mulene
08-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Helloooo Ladies!

So I'm at the end of day 1 of using. No kidding I got the visit today right as I was waiting on the time to use this!

OK here's my review:

Easy to insert, I used the method of holding down one side of the cup pushing it inside the cup and then creasing it together (hard to explain!). Anyway that made the cup small enough to insert - I'm using the bigger size since I'm 40 but I have never had kids.

Anyway, I cut the stem a bit, about half way down and I am a little sore from what is left of it poking me at the ahem.. entry. Anyway, trying to get it out was a bit of a nightmare actually, it seems I have stronger muscles than I expected!

I put it in actually last night before bed when I realised I'd started. Getting it out in the bathroom this morning was rather tricky and it took several tries to get it. I tried the pushing down thing (like pelvic floor exercising) and it seemed to help a bit - but it IS tricky to extract.

I managed to keep it stable enough so I didn't spill everywhere, and rinsed it out with hot water. Re-inserting again was very easy - same method make it small, in it goes aim for the back. Very much like inserting a tampon. I've always used non applicator tampons so inserting is easy enough.

This evening after getting home from work I emptied again. The cup was surprisingly more full than I expected (I have fairly heavy flow). So much for all that literature that says "you only ever expel about a teaspoon of liquid a month anyway" - well thats gonna be one big teaspoon by the time I'm done :teehee:

Anyway I managed to spill it a bit when extracting it this evening, but not much and it went on the bathroom floor - which is lino flooring anyway and easy to clean.

I found today that there were several very surprising aspects to using this.

1) the severe cramps I usually suffer from were milder and not the same - I am assuming this is because I wasn't sucking up bleach into my bloodstream.

2) no dryness. I always suffer (as others have said here) from dryness and end up being err chapped from the tampon string.

3) No smell. I didn't smell in the office - I am always very aware that I smell during my period - either its paranoia or I do actually smell slightly err fishy! Either way its something I notice and this seems to not be there.

4) At the start of my period (and at the end) I always have a massive increase in my body temperature and suffer from a sudden expulsion from my bowels, which is always shocking and always diarrhea. This usually happens when I've forgotten to stick a spare tampon in my jeans pocket and the sudden expulsion and muscle contractions cause the currently worn tampon to eject itself. This also usually happens at work and and paranoia again - I am accutely aware if I go to the loo then come back and immediately go again I might as well wear a big sign saying "HEY EVERYONE it's Gerri's time of the month!"

Anyway today this happened again (I don't know why I don't expect it, it happens every time but never at the same time!) I was really worried my mooncup would come flying out and land up in the pan. To my surprise it didn't shift at all - it didn't even slip down.

Anyway all those things made it pretty impressive! I think its going to take some getting used to. I'm finding the removal process quite difficult and I'm not sure I'd like to do that in a public bathroom - especially not at work where the stalls are TINY and I'm not a small woman!

We move to a new office in September, there the washroom is a single room with a sink in it - I'll feel more comfortable about it there I think!

Anyway thats my Day 1 review - I'll keep you updated!

mum2caden
08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
In public toilets it really isn't that difficult. Honestly, most of the time, you will only need to empty it in the morning and then at night. It really does hold that much.

If you do need to empty it during the day (most likely whatever your heavy day is) you can either wipe it with paper towel and just put it back in (you really don't HAVE to rinse it, I do it at home because I can, but it's not that big of a deal). I always have a bottle of water with me anyway, so sometimes i just clean it quickly that way.

I know it sounds like it will be so messy and hard to manage, but it really isn't. I thought it would be too before I tried one, but it's actually quite easy to do.

Though I do recommend that the first time you test one out, you do so on a weekend so you really see how it works- that way when you go out with it in, you will trust it to do it's job, you know?

mulene
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Though I do recommend that the first time you test one out, you do so on a weekend so you really see how it works- that way when you go out with it in, you will trust it to do it's job, you know?

Good advice! I have to just add that you are right - it really DOES do it's job - I'm very impressed and pleased with it after day 1!

lissalue
08-10-2007, 07:41 PM
ordered it from a store on ebay, so i was able to use my paypal. i hope i get it by my next cycle so i can find out if i like it.

KnittingNat
08-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you for this thread, ladies! I'm thinking of ordering the mooncup, because it's smaller! You're such enablers:cheering:! I talked to hubby about this and he wants me to order too, so i can feel more comfortable during the period :woot:!

RosePlummer
08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I have a question. I have a very tilted uterus and find tampons and the nuvoring very painful. I actually had to stop using the nuvoring due to it causeing me to tear down there. Does anyone know how this compares to the nuvoring in size (the nuvoring is huge and stiff) also will the tilted uterus cause a problem?
Thank you
Rose

LibraryLady
08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a question. I have a very tilted uterus and find tampons and the nuvoring very painful. I actually had to stop using the nuvoring due to it causeing me to tear down there. Does anyone know how this compares to the nuvoring in size (the nuvoring is huge and stiff) also will the tilted uterus cause a problem?
Thank you
Rose

I also have a tilted uterus and was worried about this too. The only problems I've had are with the stem at the bottom being too long (easy fix, just cut it shorter) and getting it set in there right. If it's not set right, it hurts, so I have to remove it and reinsert. Once it's in right, it's very comfortable.

LL

RosePlummer
08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I also have a tilted uterus and was worried about this too. The only problems I've had are with the stem at the bottom being too long (easy fix, just cut it shorter) and getting it set in there right. If it's not set right, it hurts, so I have to remove it and reinsert. Once it's in right, it's very comfortable.

LL
Thank you for the info. Maybe I will get brave enough to try it.
Rose

Krystal
08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Krystal - Please, PLEASE! don't leave a tampon in for more than 8-10 hours! Actually 6 is better. As mum2caden talks above, Toxic Shock Syndrome can kill you and one of the causes is leaving a tampon in too long. You are placing a foreign object into a very delicate part of your body.

LL

Yes, I know, been using them for a decade now. :happydance: lol.

I actually moved my period around so I only get it Monday - Friday. (i love the pill :heart: ) So now I don't have to worry about overflowing my pads, or getting up, changing my tampon or pad and then going back to bed when I don't want to get up until noon on Saturday. lol.:)

I only ever get 7 hours of sleep during the week so I could wear the light tampons no problem overnight and now there is more time for play on the weekends... :whistle:

hummingbird
08-11-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Do you think the diva cup or the moon cup is better?
Tampons really bother me. I can feel them there the whole time if I use them. Even though this is bigger than tampons do you think it would be alright for me?

Jan in CA
08-11-2007, 03:39 AM
I had to have a hysterectomy when I was 31 so this is of no use to me, but it's been really interesting to read. I actually tried a very early version of these cups in probably the late 60's early 70's and I just couldn't get it to work. I imagine they are much, much better now based on this thread. I will tell my daughters about it and see what they think.

I have to laugh though and hope no men coming reading through here..they may get WAY more information that they ever wanted to know. :shock: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

mum2caden
08-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I have to laugh though and hope no men coming reading through here..they may get WAY more information that they ever wanted to know. :shock: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Well they would deserve it for being nosy... i mean, it is titled "Warning Ladies Thread" lol.

mum2caden
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Do you think the diva cup or the moon cup is better?
Tampons really bother me. I can feel them there the whole time if I use them. Even though this is bigger than tampons do you think it would be alright for me?

They bother me too- that string always hurt me. I can tell you that I love my cup though! lol

In this case though, you really wouldn't know until you gave it a try for a couple cycles...

LibraryLady
08-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Yes, I know, been using them for a decade now. :happydance: lol.

My apologies, I misread your post. :doh:

LL

jillliv
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM

BEST OF ALL!!! I never feel like I am dying with those horrible bleach induced cramps. I used to have cramps SO dibilitating, and now my cramps are just annoying.

Have any of you tried Ladycare Magnets for your peiod pains?Best thing i ever bought......

I have the Ladycare magnet not the mn8, they are simply marketing the Ladycare now for menopause, but it does the same job...

http://www.magno-pulse.com/index.php?cPath=21

JennyLeah
08-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I've been on the hunt for alternative menstrual products for years. I've been drawn to the divacup/mooncup/Keeper for a while, but they're a little pricey (I know, it's an investment, but when you're living paycheck to paycheck, the cash up front is a pretty big concern), so I kept looking.

Until last year, I was using sea sponges (no name brand, I just bought one at the store and cut it up myself), because they're a naturally sustainable resource (when they're harvested millions of spores are released into the water, so more continue to grow). They're terrific, although a little messy in public washrooms. They last several months, and when they do start falling apart a little bit, you can dispose of them without worrying about how long they'll take to biodegrade.

Cloth pads are great too, but I hate wearing pads if I don't have to. I'm an internal protection sort of girl.

Most recently, I've been using Insteads, as a means to transition to finally purchasing a Diva Cup. I bought the box in December, and while they're supposed to be disposable, one Instead lasts my entire cycle with regular emptying and rinsing. By the time the box is empty, I fully intend to purchase a Diva Cup. I'm super excited about it, too! :D

jeanius80
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks for posting this topic! I glad there are so many great experiences. i have been thinking about switching to these. as soon as i have a reason to use one (:rofl:) i'll be buying two :mrgreen:

Krystal
08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I was put off by the steep price at the mall...

So I found one on Ebay (100% positive feedback, and only sells stuff for the ladies area... :)) And even with it being USD and shipping to Canada it is a good 15 bucks cheaper, and it is being delivered right to my door.

woot!

First time ever, I actually kinda can't wait for aunt Flow to show up. ha!

lissalue
08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I was put off by the steep price at the mall...

So I found one on Ebay (100% positive feedback, and only sells stuff for the ladies area... :)) And even with it being USD and shipping to Canada it is a good 15 bucks cheaper, and it is being delivered right to my door.

woot!

First time ever, I actually kinda can't wait for aunt Flow to show up. ha!

:roflhard:i know how you feel. mine came the other day, also from eBay, and I am wanting to try it out. :roflhard:

jeanius80
08-18-2007, 11:19 PM
which ebay vendor did you both use?

i might be on the look-out soon ;)

Knit1Drop1
08-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I have heard of them but am more a fan of, um, external protection when AF is here. I use washable menstrual pads. They are pricey if you buy them but easy as heck to make yourself with some flannel, a sewing machine, and a cheap snap press (one of those $7 ones will do... what are they called, dritz?)

mulene
08-19-2007, 05:44 PM
OK just over a week after using it and I have to say I think this product is great.

It was tricky getting used to getting it out and on my heaviest day I was worried that it might leak. It did leak a little but this was due to it not popping back into the right shape after insertion. The leakage was minimal and quite honestly one of my biggest joys with this thing is the no smell.

I would say that I'll get the hang of getting it out without too much difficulty on my next cycle. I would recommend trying it out before your cycle starts, because getting it out can be tricky. I'd test it out for a few days and that way you can also work out the length of the tail to leave (if any) so that it isn't uncomfortable for you.

I found that my uterus is quite high up and the cup sat fairly high inside. This I found a bit of a worry because I wasn't sure how on earth I was going to get it out.

As a tip for new users, I found the easiest way was sitting on the loo and bearing down a little which helped to push it down and make it easier to grip hold of. I found it would "ping" slightly when I got the thing fully out and this could be painful if I wasn't careful and it hit the wrong spot.

I am a bit err phobic of sitting on public loo seats (hang over from when I was a kid and I've no idea why), but I'm going to have to get over that or carry those paper loo seat covers with me. Unfortunately that would defeat the object of reducing my waste however those are flushable and biodegradable whereas other sanitary products aren't.

After using it for once cycle, I have to agree with the women who have tried this before me, and highly recommend it to everyone to use.

If you use external products, take a look at washable pads - You may be in the US but to get an idea of what is available go to www.daisyboxonline.com (http://www.daisyboxonline.co.uk) and have a look at the products. You'll be likely to find similar or the same products from US suppliers.

hummingbird
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I got one at a health store near by. I'm going to give it a try. I hope I like it!

stagebear
08-20-2007, 01:00 PM
i just ordered a divacup today. i cant wait for it to arrive. thank you all for opening up my eyes to this.

carla25
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I ordered my Divacup today, I thought I would NEVER say this but I can't wait for my cycle so I can try it out. Thanks for posting this thread.

iza
08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Ok, now I REALLY want to try it. :shifty: Do you think sales of the Divacup will suddenly rise just because of this thread? :teehee:

I want to say thank you mulene and all the other divacup/mooncup users for telling us about your experience! :thumbsup: I find it's very, very useful. :cheering:

ekgheiy
08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
It's nice to read all this feedback. But I'm still soooo chicken to give it a try, especially since I get picked up, layed on, thrown around, mounted, choked, squished, flipped and otherwise twisted up more than a pretzel at the gym. I'd be soooo paranoid that the nifty little device would tip, dislodge, or worse get pushed completely out in the middle of class!!!! :ick: That would be totally NOT GOOD!!

It's probably just unfounded and illogical fear speaking, but I'm just not convinced and/or brave enough to try it. :teehee:

mum2caden
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd be soooo paranoid that the nifty little device would tip, dislodge, or worse get pushed completely out in the middle of class!!!! :ick: That would be totally NOT GOOD!!

Not likely- I mean, if your tampon doesn't, why would a bell shaped cup? These are a lot wider once they have opened inside of you, so they are certainly less likely to slip than a tampon which stays the same width the entire length (besides having a string, which by that theory could mean it has the potential to get tugged on and pulled out! ew, lol).

ekgheiy
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Not likely- I mean, if your tampon doesn't, why would a bell shaped cup? These are a lot wider once they have opened inside of you, so they are certainly less likely to slip than a tampon which stays the same width the entire length (besides having a string, which by that theory could mean it has the potential to get tugged on and pulled out! ew, lol). You raise an interesting point.

Me thinks me still chikken though :oops:

stagebear
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
my divacup arrived in the mail today - it feels weird that i'm actually looking forward to my cycle so i can try it out.

stitchwitch
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I'll probably try it if I can find a place around here to buy one locally. I'm sure something will happen with it though like it will squirt out of my hand and under the partition and onto the floor of the stall next to me when I try and reinsert it. :teehee:

JennyLeah
08-24-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm sure something will happen with it though like it will squirt out of my hand and under the partition and onto the floor of the stall next to me when I try and reinsert it. :teehee:
Shortly after a friend of mine first got her Keeper (which is much like the Diva Cup, only it's natural gum rubber), she flew across country from Washington state to Massachusetts for a break from school. She has always had really heavy periods, so much so that in the first few days of her cycle, she needed to empty out her Keeper a few more times than most people. Of course, at least once that was in one of the airplane's stalls. There was blood EVERYWHERE. She took a picture with her camera phone, because she didn't think anyone would believe her. But it looked like she killed someone in there! :roflhard:

Krystal
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Yay it came in the mail today. Perfect timing because I start Monday.

I gave it a boil and tested it twice. I can get it in... but it sure takes time to do that. It kept popping open before I could get where I was going.

The first time it was ALLLLL wrong, so I had the fun task of removing that... Definately takes practice.

Second time it positioned better but still didn't pop open all the way.

Hope I master this by Monday.

mum2caden
08-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Yay! I am so glad so many women here are trying cups!

It does take practice, but you will love it once you get the hang of it.

Oh and Krystal, it is a lot different and much easier to get your cup working right when you actually have your period. To get it to fully pop open, get it in a least partway, spin it if you can, and give it a light tug by the handle. That gets the suction going and will open it completely (for me anyway).

mum2caden
08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
You raise an interesting point.

Me thinks me still chikken though :oops:

Well, cups have suction, so they stay there until you break the seal- tampons don't have that!

This is just one of those things that you have to try to 'get', but I understand being chicken. I didn't use tampons until I was 19 because I was afraid of having anything in there, lol. Got over that fast once I tried them and realized they were way better than pads, and the same thing happened with the cup... now I certainly won't go back!

Phretys
08-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, because of this thread, I went out to a nearby health food store and bought a Diva Cup, a couple of days before my next visit with Aunt Flow. My only disappointment is that I didn't get one several years sooner! I tried the Instead about a decade ago and could never get it to fit correctly, but I had no problems with the Diva Cup, other than taking a day to figure out I had to release the seal *before* removing it (ow!).

My thanks to everyone in the thread who had given all these good reviews! :cheering:

Debi

Krystal
08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Yay! I am so glad so many women here are trying cups!

It does take practice, but you will love it once you get the hang of it.

Oh and Krystal, it is a lot different and much easier to get your cup working right when you actually have your period. To get it to fully pop open, get it in a least partway, spin it if you can, and give it a light tug by the handle. That gets the suction going and will open it completely (for me anyway).
I have been trying, but can't get it to spin. So that tells me it isn't in right since they say it should spin. But it's definitely sealing.

I have tried some other folding options and it didn't seem any different... I am also surprisingly smaller than I thought. Definitely can't get a finger up to break the seal.

But try try again. ;)

feministmama
08-24-2007, 11:43 PM
my divacup arrived in the mail today - it feels weird that i'm actually looking forward to my cycle so i can try it out.

Try it before. You may need the practice.:shrug:

mum2caden
08-24-2007, 11:50 PM
It doesn't spin for everyone, I should have made that clear. Even for me, I can't *always* get it to spin, even when I know it is in right, it's just that I always try (that said, if you haven't even gotten your period yet, that might be the only problem). I also will run my finger around the rim to make sure it has opened, I just find that if it isn't opening, if I can get it to spin, that will do it. If not, tugging on it will assure me that it has, in fact, sealed properly.

Oh- and I cannot get my finger all the way to the rim to break the seal. What I do is reach in with my finger and press the cup to the side, so that one wall of the cup squishes to the middle, and then I just pull down with my finger. Sometimes I hear the suction break, other times I don't, but I have yet to feel any pain from the suction as some people have run into... maybe I was just lucky and figured that part out easily. I did have a hard time with, ahem, stretching while trying to get it out the first few times... I have had a baby, but I had a c-section, so I still had a bit of trouble. Fact is though- that area is meant to to stretch, so as long as you keep trying, and keep relaxed, you'll get it. At least, that's how it's been for me.

humblestumble
08-25-2007, 01:50 AM
I tried it out before my cycle and I couldnt do it. So, even though you may want to try it before hand, and I encourage it just to get over the newness of it, it may not be what your expecting until the actual cycle arrives. I was so frustrated and sad when I first tried it without being on it. But once I was on it, it was pretty much smooth sailing after the first few tries.

DQ
08-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Hmmmm...very interesting stuff! There was a thread on another forum I go on about mooncups quite a while ago, but the response was far less positive than this!

I think I might actually seriously consider getting one. I hate tampons so only use pads, but I really dislike them when I'm heavy and I do tend to get a bit irritated down there (which makes me VERY grumpy!)

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences :hug:

Krystal
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I think I finally got the hang of it.

I gave it another try today, and I guess all the suctioning and trying got me to start spotting a few hours earlier. So I figure, well may as well put it in and see.

I was trying different folds before, and definitely the C fold works for me. It was still kinda bugging me a bit for the last hour, so I took it out and cut the bloody stem off and went back in. No problem at all now. Can't even tell it's there.

But after wearing it for a bit and taking it out, I can feel now It is definitely opening up, and sealing. Taking it out is easier now, and getting in is already quicker.

I'm almost a pro.

hummingbird
08-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I bought a divacup at a store near here. Trying before my period didn't go so well. :(

carla25
08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I got mine on friday and I thought it was going to be hard to put in, but to my suprise it was not as bad as I thought considering I do not wear tampons.

mulene
08-27-2007, 06:19 AM
I was trying different folds before, and definitely the C fold works for me. It was still kinda bugging me a bit for the last hour, so I took it out and cut the bloody stem off and went back in. No problem at all now. Can't even tell it's there.

:roflhard: thats exactly the same for me. I left the stem on because I was a bit scared I'd not get the thing out. Then each time I took it out I chopped a bit more off the stem till in the end I chopped the whole thing off. Once it was off I found it mroe comfortable hehe

Welcome to the cup club, another one converted!! :yay:

For all you other ladies getting ready to try it, I agree it is easier once you start the flow - I dunno I think your muscles during the flow behave slightly differently so it makes it a bit easier. Practice before is good though - you'll get used to which fold suits you and if the stem should come off completely or not.

So glad to hear so many others are trying it too - its a really good positive step forwards =D

mulene
08-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Oh- and I cannot get my finger all the way to the rim to break the seal. What I do is reach in with my finger and press the cup to the side, so that one wall of the cup squishes to the middle, and then I just pull down with my finger. Sometimes I hear the suction break, other times I don't, but I have yet to feel any pain from the suction as some people have run into... maybe I was just lucky and figured that part out easily.

Now why didn't I think of that!??! OK next time I'm trying this method, that sounds MUCH easier than the method I've been using which does still leave me a bit scared of using in a public bathroom.

I LOVED the story about the airplane bathroom and the blood everywhere, I can see that happening to me =P heheh

mum2caden
08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I bought a divacup at a store near here. Trying before my period didn't go so well. :(

No worries- keep trying. Trying when you do have your period is entirely different than when you try without, but also, the cup does have a learning curve, so just keep trying. Practice and all that, lol.

SusanMarie1956
08-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I no longer have a need for the monthly wonders of the world. BUt I want to thank you for telling me. I have neices & younger friends that may want to know about these.

:-)

wewantmore
08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm late to this thread, but wanted to say that I've used http://www.thekeeper.com/ The Keeper for 4 yrs and LOVE it.

I also recommend the book http://www.ovusoft.com/products/bookstore.asp Taking Charge of your Fertility. It's a book EVERY woman needs to read.

Michelle

hummingbird
08-28-2007, 12:34 AM
No worries- keep trying. Trying when you do have your period is entirely different than when you try without, but also, the cup does have a learning curve, so just keep trying. Practice and all that, lol.

It's going better today, but still takes a while to do. I have no idea how to do this in a public bathroom. I needed the sink right there to clean my hands!

mum2caden
08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
I am rather klutzy, so since I know that, lol, I just use the bottle of water I always have in my purse, or a baby wipe. However- I always have these things on me anyway, since I drink a ton of water and have a nearly 3 year old, lol.

In the few days that a period lasts, I generally only have to worry about emptying the cup on that one heavy day in public. The rest of the time I can just empty it morning and night, so it's not really an issue.

I know it seems like a pain in the butt to have to carry that stuff around, but it might help until you get more used to how it all works.

Krystal
08-28-2007, 01:05 AM
well, first day on the flow, and it seems that now it just doesn't want to seal.

It was totally sealing on Sunday. Had to break the seal to get it out... But now it won't open all the way... :-x and now I am glad I still have a box of pads to catch the leaks.

It was fine during work, it stayed put, but it didn't seal... But after my shower it wouldn't stay put, and tended to keep slowly sliding out. 5th trip back to re try I gave up for today. Too much effort down there for no pleasure in one day. :teehee:

I'll try again tomorrow.:pray:

KnitClickChick
08-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I read about the Diva cup a few years ago, and have been wanting to try one but have been nervous about it. None of my friends/family had ever heard of it. I do not use tampons because they just feel so uncomfortable, almost painful. So I am a pad girl, however I always have to double up or am just a huge mess. So embarrassing to have someone at work tell you there is a "problem"!!!! But thanks to all these rave reviews I think I am ready to try!!

HamaLee
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
*bump*
I have a question :aww:

I bought the disposable "Instead" cups for this month because I couldn't easily find a DivaCup and these were cheaper to go for a test drive. I noticed someone else on the thread had been able to re-use these so that one lasted for most of her cycle, I'm trying to do the same.

Overall I'm liking it--there's no real difference in cramping, etc, but today's only my first day of flow. I put it in around 8 this morning and noticed that there was some leakage and I had to dump it out around 11:30 this morning. (I have a very heavy flow, a super tampon usually only lasts about an hour on my first 4 days...so already the cup is better).

Here's where things are a bit icky, I'd like some advice on how you ladies "empty" the cup just to make sure I'm going about things correctly.

Since it's a bit TMI I'll spoiler this part(ok I guess you can't do spoiler tags here, so I'll make it white text. Highlight to read)::psst: Ok, so when you take the cup out and it's full of flow what do you do? Cuz it's not like it just dumps out like a cup of water since it's quite a bit more viscous. I basically wiped it out with a wad of toilet paper and then stuck it back in. It was a little messy but not too bad. :psst:

So is that what you ladies do as well? Or do you have some other technique recommendations?

hummingbird
09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I poured the contents of the cup into the toilet and then washed the cup in the sink. I just figured that's what I should do... I am a newbie at this too!

white text reply :p

mum2caden
09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Well, if I am at home, I just dump it, then rinse it in the sink. Away from home, I always carry a water bottle with me, so I dump it (shaking it a little to get it all out) then I just sit back a little on the toilet and pour a bit of water on it to rinse it. It doesn't always get perfectly clean, but it doesn't really matter a whole lot, since it's going right back in, lol.

I find reusable cups much easier both for dumping and leaning, besides they stay in place better (I actually had an instead dislodge once! Luckily it was in one of the final days of that period).

Cleaning out the cup gets much easier as you get used to it...

feministmama
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I just want to say how funny y'all are about talking about this. Are we that squeemish about our bodies that we have to white out our words? I wonder if guys are like this talking about jock itch or whatever they got going on in thier crotch. I think this thread is an excellent way of getting to a place of loving our bodies and everything that comes out of it :teehee:

Krystal
09-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I just want to say how funny y'all are about talking about this. Are we that squeemish about our bodies that we have to white out our words? I wonder if guys are like this talking about jock itch or whatever they got going on in thier crotch. I think this thread is an excellent way of getting to a place of loving our bodies and everything that comes out of it :teehee:

hehe, you make a good point. This is a thread about shoving something up your v-jay during that lovely time of the month. We are well passed TMI now. :teehee:

Besides, we have all had a period, we understand.

:happydance:

nonny2t
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Can't get much more off topic than this! :rofl:
I will be 54 years old a week from today and my biggest complaint is the $$$$$ I have had to spend on the stuff all these years. I was a young "starter" 10 and my body still won't give it up completely so I have to keep stuff on hand. For some reason, I don't mind the expense of toilet tissue, but the cost of this stuff drives me nuts.

Mommy22alyns
09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
My simple solution is the Mirena IUD! :woot:

I kicked in about $50 total for 5 years of birth control and the added bonus of a tiny bit of spotting for about 2 days every month.

I tried "Instead" right before my IUD insertion and HATED them! Ugggghhhh, so so so messy, uncomfortable, etc. I'm not all that sqeamish either, but this was past yuck!

Krystal
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, this thread is still kicking. lol.

I am on period #2 with the cup and am still getting no where.

I just can't get it to open. *sigh* I have tried every fold many times over, and again... too much playing around down there during a time I really don't wanna be loitering. :happydance:

ekgheiy
09-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Can't get much more off topic than this! :rofl:
I will be 54 years old a week from today and my biggest complaint is the $$$$$ I have had to spend on the stuff all these years. I was a young "starter" 10 and my body still won't give it up completely so I have to keep stuff on hand. For some reason, I don't mind the expense of toilet tissue, but the cost of this stuff drives me nuts. I hear you on that note Nonny!!! I think this $7it should be TAX DEDUCTIBLE for real!!!
:angelgrin:

yarnpiggy
09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, this thread is still kicking. lol.

I am on period #2 with the cup and am still getting no where.

I just can't get it to open. *sigh* I have tried every fold many times over, and again... too much playing around down there during a time I really don't wanna be loitering. :happydance:

Krystal-

I used to have this problem too. Have you checked the little holes around the rim--there are like four of them. Sterilize a pin and stick it through each of them. There may be some "blockage" in there you're not quite seeing, or that isn't coming out when you clean it.

Sajomaro
09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Can't get much more off topic than this!
I will be 54 years old a week from today and my biggest complaint is the $$$$$ I have had to spend on the stuff all these years. I was a young "starter" 10 and my body still won't give it up completely so I have to keep stuff on hand. For some reason, I don't mind the expense of toilet tissue, but the cost of this stuff drives me nuts.
I hear you on that note Nonny!!! I think this $7it should be TAX DEDUCTIBLE for real!!!

I hear you on that note Nonny!!! I think this $7it should be TAX DEDUCTIBLE for real!!!
:angelgrin:

I have to agree. In British Columbia as well as other provinces we have what is known as the Provincial Sale Tax. It used to be known as the Luxury tax. Anything that wasn't a necessity for living was taxed. When you buy pads, liners, tampons and similar products you have to pay this tax. :??

On a side note - Yarn is not taxed. :shrug: But let's not point that out to anybody:)

ekgheiy
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I have to agree. In British Columbia as well as other provinces we have what is known as the Provincial Sale Tax. It used to be known as the Luxury tax. Anything that wasn't a necessity for living was taxed. When you buy pads, liners, tampons and similar products you have to pay this tax. :??

On a side note - Yarn is not taxed. :shrug: But let's not point that out to anybody:)Oh, that's just so backwards. But the yarn thing doesn't have to be pointed out; surely you can think of another example. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I know this thread is kinda old, but I wanted to revitalize instead of starting a new one :)

I just bought a diva cup, and now I'm giving it a test drive... been able to read the entire thread without any discomfort! :yay:
Tomorrow the real test comes. :shock:

ecb
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Just be sure it is in comfortably, and covers cervix
they r great
and buy some H2O2, for the weekend

Dangles
11-12-2008, 01:10 AM
i got one used it for a few cycles now. I love it

saracidaltendencies
11-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Ok, I don't mean to get too detailed here, but, I have used Instead, and, from what I gather, they are similar to the Mooncup and Diva Cup but they are not re-usable. Anyway, the only thing that bothered me about the Instead was I could never take it out without a bit of clean-up required, if ya know what I mean...Are these pretty clean once taken out, I mean no spill over or anything like that? I would love to use this, but, the extraction of the Instead was less than ideal.

Knit4Pie
11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the great reviews. I just ordered a Diva Cup last night. I'd been putting it off for quite a while, just never quite convinced it was right for me. I was out yesterday unexpectedly for longer than I thought. I spent most of the time worried and focussed on what was going on down there alert for any leaks.

Then, as if it was a great big sign, this thread was active again and nudged me into the "right" direction. Can't wait to get it...probably not in time to finish this cycle, but at least for the next!

auntcrafty
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I've been using a Diva for about a year. When I was a teen, I used to get horribly sick when using tampons & an extreme rash when using pads and come to find out it is because of my corn allergy. I wish I had been able to use this years ago with my heavy flow, because this takes care of my needs. Someone asked about the mess -- I feel cleaner with the Diva than I ever did with pads/tampons since everything is collected in the cup.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-13-2008, 11:33 PM
As a new Diva, I'm reluctant to say this... but I have had NO PROBLEMS. No mess, no leaks, no "holy crap WHERE IS IT" when I try to remove it :teehee: So far, I am loving it. I know it's only been 2 days, so I am still using a backup. I generally didn't have cramps too bad anyway, but I have had NO CRAMPS at ALL for these first 2 days of my cycle. I woke up this morning and I was so surprised... I had to "remember" I was actually on my period!

I had no idea that I was going to be so impressed.

saracidaltendencies
11-14-2008, 12:32 AM
How long can you wear it for before it needs to be changed/cleaned? And, Do you get more than one? Like if you need to clean one, would you have a second one on hand to use while you're cleaning the first? They are re-usable, right? lol...I guess I could just find the website, huh? haha

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I thought about getting 2, but I wanted to try it out first. I've been able to go 9 hours without emptying. And it really only takes a second to empty, rinse and wipe... and your'e sitting on the toilet anyway when you do so, so any, uhm, .... dripage will end up in there. :shrug: I also did a quick wipe with some TP after re-inserting, just to get anything that might have leaked out.

saracidaltendencies
11-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow, 9 hours?! Impressive! Ok, I think I'm going to have to try this...A couple more questions though...lol...First off, what's the cost, and secondly, do you have to get them online? I know I haven't seen them at Walgreen's but I haven't really checked anywhere else.

ctmax
11-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I got mine at London Drugs, and I think it was about $40.00.

ecb
11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
$36 here at the green store

and the local Co-op has FINALLY decided to carry one variety

I use one, rinse it out with warm clean running water
re-insert, and go
my MOST heavy days I have to empty every 2-4 hours
I have a SCAREY heavy flo
then between cycles I soak in H2O2 after washing with soap and water
one is enough

ecb

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Mine was 32-ish at Whole Foods.

saracidaltendencies
11-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Oh wow, Whole Foods carries them? I believe there's one not too far from me!

Cynamar
11-16-2008, 01:46 AM
What are they made of? I would be more concerned about the effects of petroleum-based materials on my body even than landfills. I am purging plastic in my home now.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-16-2008, 03:38 PM
diva cups are made of silicone. There's more info about what there made of and how they're made (and environmental effects) at their website. (http://www.divacup.com/)

ecb
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
What are they made of? I would be more concerned about the effects of petroleum-based materials on my body even than landfills. I am purging plastic in my home now.
Trust me, the silicone is a LOT less hard on my body that even the pads I used to catch possible overflow (usually wasted pads too)

time to go to my LYS

Dangles
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
good ole H2O2 :)

I got mine at "Choices" and it was about $36.

$36 here at the green store

and the local Co-op has FINALLY decided to carry one variety

I use one, rinse it out with warm clean running water
re-insert, and go
my MOST heavy days I have to empty every 2-4 hours
I have a SCAREY heavy flo
then between cycles I soak in H2O2 after washing with soap and water
one is enough

ecb

Haylon
11-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't really post here all that often but I wanted to add in my two cents. I've been using the Diva Cup size 2 for about three months now and i'm never going back to tampons!! I purchased mine at whole foods and ordered another from http://www.southcoastshopping.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=169&CLSN_2536=12226352272536f1dc8b8fc8194eb592 it was on sale so for the Diva Cup and the cleaning solution I only paid about $25 with shipping, as a bonus they were really quick with shipping.

KnitWit1987
11-28-2008, 01:56 AM
I had never heard of the Diva Cup until I seen this thread. I went to Whole Foods and got one for $32. I have to say that I am totally suprised. I am the biggest skeptic when it comes to trying new things. I have used it for 1 cycle and I love it! I had no trouble putting it in getting it out (lol). The directions in the box are very easy to understand and follow. Also, I usually have very severe cramps the first 2-3 days of my cycle but, I had none at all using the Diva Cup. If you are skeptical get one! It will be the best $32 you ever spend!!

I also wanted to add that it is totally awesome that all us ladies can talk about these thing and give eachother advice :yay: Thanks to everyone who wrote about their expeirence without you all I would have never known this existed!!! :muah:

Knit4Pie
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
This is my first time using the Diva Cup, and while it works great, I have an awful time getting it out. Not exactly getting it out, but when it reaches the rim, no matter how relaxed I am OUCH! Any suggestions?

ecb
12-10-2008, 06:53 PM
no matter how relaxed I am OUCH! Any suggestions?
you mean when the edge of the rim reaches the opening of Uu vgna?
or when ur finger reaches the rim of the cup inside

I know for me, i just pinch the bottom, and pull it out, then the rim kinda folds itself a bit and I edge the upper edge of the rim out first so it does not spill (until I dump it, ya know?)

KnitWit1987
12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I just pinch the diva cup with my thumb and forefinger until the suction releases then it comes right out. There are illistrations and directions of how to do it on the page that came inside the box.

Knit4Pie
12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I get the suction released and it comes down easily enough, but even if I try to fold in the rim somewhat (I don't want to do it too much and risk spillage) it's somewhat painful as the rim passes through the opening. I have followed the directions and it works well, just that little ouchie that's annoying. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

shelluie
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I guess I'm the minority here but just the thought of using one of these and having to empty it grosses me out!

KnitWit1987
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I thought the same thing until I actually used one, it is actually A LOT cleaner than tampon or pads. Cleaning it out, while not the most plesent thing to do is just part of being a women.

Knit4Pie
12-11-2008, 06:09 PM
So far, for me there is less mess with this. Especially since I have a heavy flow and there would always be leakage and such, no matter what I tried. Not a drop of a mess with the Diva Cup! I'm not regretting it for an instant. I'll even cope with the little ouchie in removing it (if I can't figure it out) for all the rest I've gained!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Have you tried rotating it a bit while you pull?

Knit4Pie
12-12-2008, 07:39 AM
I'll certainly give it a try! Thanks!

Knit4Fun
12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I just bought a Diva Cup although haven't had the opportunity to 'try it out' yet. I got it here - and got a free bottle of the wash with it along with free shipping:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=170329&catid=9586 - note that this is the number 2 - so check to see if you need a 1 or 2 before ordering!

Thanks for all the info. - I am excited to try it - good for the environment and good for me as well.

MrsWildchild
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Stumbled across this thread while searching for something else...

I had considered the DivaCup before, several years ago, but am always a little hesitant to buy anything that is sold using testimonials, it's just not considered good advertising. But everyone here seems really happy with them, maybe I'll consider it again. I've wasted more money on other things!

I tried Instead Cups before (disposable), mostly 'cause I felt I'd be able to have sex on my light days (hubby wouldn't go for it).

My main concern now is that people keep talking about the rim "catching" or whatever. My labia have been a problem ever since I gave birth. I think there were parts stitched together that shouldn't have been, and I am waiting to see an OB/GYN for that (not so easy around here, you have to really need one to get one).

Anyway, happy to have heard from "real people" on this issue!

knitgal
04-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Funny you bring this thread up again. I had read this months ago and it peaked my interest. Yesterday a thread on Ravelry reignited my interest in Diva cups. It really seems practical to me. No more tampons with the risk of TSS and all that. It's also much much better for the environment, which we should all be concerned with. And wouldn't it be great to not have to worry about changing anything for 12 hours?

I bought one last night one this site (http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=diva%20cup). They have $5 off coupons if you're a first time customer too. Just search online for "iherb coupons". A good friend of mine has a Diva Cup and loves it and I've read so many comments from people (not testimonials) who say that it changed their lives.

saracidaltendencies
04-25-2009, 06:26 PM
I tried Instead Cups before (disposable), mostly 'cause I felt I'd be able to have sex on my light days (hubby wouldn't go for it).

That's the main reason I tried the Instead as well! And, same result...:teehee: Bah!