PDA

View Full Version : I'm in 'Knitting' magazine!

Nobones
08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I am so thrilled, my 'Movie star dressing' has been awarded a star letter from 'Knitting magazine. I got my copy today and there I am. I have won a Rowan membership for a year. I've already had the magazine and they have some fantastic autumn and winter patterns, which are my favorite to knit.

You can see the page and other photo's on my blog.

I've never had anything printed before, I'm thrilled they liked my efforts.

Jan in CA
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
That is fantastic! Congratulations! :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Abbily
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
That's so cool! :)

aineepooh1
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: :yay::yay::passedout:

WTG: Nobones~!

:hug:
ainee

marykz
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
OMG- that's fantastic!!! you TOTALLY deserved it for that gorgeous dressing gown. Congratulations!!!!!

PammieJR
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
WOW...not only is it cool you got published, but the dressing gown is FAB!

Braden
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow! Way to go!

KnittingNat
08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
This is so cool :woot::woot::cheering:! I think you really deserve it after the work you've put into that gown!

Ingrid
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Very impressive--the publication AND the gown!:inlove::cheering::cheering:

chrislt8
08-09-2007, 01:10 PM
WOW! :woot:Congratulations (although I've never seen another project that deserves it so well!) :notworthy:

Lady Violet
08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
:woot: :yay: CONGRATS!!! :yay: :woot:

doesn't it feel great to be recognized by the experts? i may just have to pick myself up a copy. your gown is absolutely gorgeous, and you couldn't have knit it up in a better color! :teehee:

btw, i just checked out your husband's dalek. wOw. :inlove: :inlove: it's gorgeous, too! i bet your house is just full of gorgeous. :notworthy:
now we can all say we knew you when! :woohoo:

astonh
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Congratulations! Both on finishing such a huge project and getting published. That is TOTALLY groovy. I don't mean to speak for all of us out in the knitting world, but I will anyway, when I say, "We are very proud of you!"

WTG!!:woohoo:

larudden
08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.3sistersbeads.com/Thumbs%20Up%202.jpg

mornnen
08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
:woohoo::cheering::happydance::woot::yay::yay::woo t::happydance::cheering::cheering::woohoo:

Good for you, Nobones!

kemp
08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
So cool! Congratulations!

cecile77
08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Congratulations!!!

Mariblue
08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
:cheering:Yeah! :cheering:That's Wonderful!:cheering:Congratulations!:cheering:

rebecca
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Just....WOW :cheering::cheering::cheering:
:notworthy::notworthy: OUTSTANDINGLING BEAUTIFUL!
WTG:blooby::blooby:

Slim
08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
That is just totally awesome!! I loved your dressing gown when you first posted the pics, and I'm not at all surprised you were chosen. What a wonderful talent you have!

mwedzi
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow, that is so cool! You deserve it. :yay:

Sharly
08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Congratuations!!:balloons: We are all so proud of you!! :thumbsup:

Kels Joy.
08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
that gown is beautiful! congratulations! :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Nobones
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you all SO much. To share it with you all made even more special :muah:

:grphug:

PaperGirl
08-09-2007, 04:28 PM
COngrats! Its GORGEOUS!!!!!! :woohoo:

cmk
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Congratulations! The dressing gown is beautiful!

Carolyn

ekgheiy
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Totally excellent!!! :woohoo:

SusanMarie1956
08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
THATs GREAT!!!!

mks22300
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Yea for you! :cheering:

Arielluria
08-09-2007, 06:53 PM
That is SOOOOOOOO Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheering::cheering::cheering:

I'm so proud of you! And what a GORGEOUS piece!!!!!!!!!! I need the pattern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long did it take you to knit it? Type of yarn, etc?

cinnamon_girl
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Congratulations Nobones!!
What a beautiful piece of work!! I'm going to have look for that magazine. Wow!!

Knitting_Guy
08-09-2007, 07:47 PM
:thumbsup:

BinkyKat
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
:cheering:CONGRATULATIONS!!!:cheering:
Way to get published NoBones!

On another note...I had no idea you are a tatter. I am thinking I need to add this to my list of "string related abilities." I'll have to pick your brain for tips! I am going to try out needle tatting. I haven't view the videos yet so I'm not sure if you use a shuttle. But, I was wondering on shuttle tatting, do you actually fluidly pass the shuttle into the loop? In other videos or pictures I've seen, I can never tell...it almost seems like it dips in and out but not through, know what I mean?:??

redheadrachel
08-09-2007, 08:18 PM
woohoo Look at you go!! :happydance:

zip
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
:woohoo:

Girl, you so earned that. I'm still in awe of your work on that piece. Gonna round up a copy of the magazine to keep! :hug: Thanks for telling us.

Nobones
08-10-2007, 04:40 AM
I need the pattern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long did it take you to knit it? Type of yarn, etc?

The pattern is in 'Rowan, Beads, Buttons and lace'. It might be called something else in the US, I'm not sure.

It took 5 months, but I didn't work on it every day. It was also something like my 3rd or 5th project, I'd made a scarf and bag before that.

When all my Rowan goodies come I will put them in a pile and take photos to post.

Susan P.
08-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Deserved recognition for a garment that took so much work and was done so well :)

Debbie
08-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Beautiful !!!

larudden
08-10-2007, 08:48 AM

On another note...I had no idea you are a tatter. I am thinking I need to add this to my list of "string related abilities." I'll have to pick your brain for tips! I am going to try out needle tatting. I haven't view the videos yet so I'm not sure if you use a shuttle. But, I was wondering on shuttle tatting, do you actually fluidly pass the shuttle into the loop? In other videos or pictures I've seen, I can never tell...it almost seems like it dips in and out but not through, know what I mean?:??

I just watched both videos and they're great! I've never tried tatting, either, but have always been fascinated by it. NoBones' tutorials are great with clear closeups. Gosh, if my DH knew I was thinking about THIS, he'd have a cow. I'm always trying new things and never finishing anything!:lol:

dustinac
08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
:woot:Congrats!!:woot:

Sharly
08-10-2007, 08:59 AM

I just watched both videos and they're great! I've never tried tatting, either, but have always been fascinated by it. NoBones' tutorials are great with clear closeups. Gosh, if my DH knew I was thinking about THIS, he'd have a cow. I'm always trying new things and never finishing anything!:lol:

Binky Kat - the shuttle does pass through the loop.

I know the basic mechanics of tatting, but I apparently don't have a "talent" for it! It is a fantastic art, but not the most forgiving. My grandmother did beautiful work, but never taught my mother (who wanted to learn, but was told she was too stupid to do it - but, that's another story). Years later I saw a lady tatting and she was amazed I knew what she was doing. She offered to teach me, and I learned just enough to say I know how. I've never tried needle tatting, but I would encourage both of you to give either shuttle or needle tatting a try. It's an art that could use a revival :lol: I pick up my shuttle every now and then and make a few inches of trim - just to make sure I haven't forgotten how - Leslie, you and I have a lot in common as far as learning new things and not finishing! Knitting is the first thing I've learned that I actually continued to do and have (so far) several finished projects to show for my effort!

VictoiseC
08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Thats just amazing, I can't believe you spent 5 months working on that. (although I spent two years on a simple afghan!) It's really gorgeous and what fun to be published. Big Congrats Nobones!:cheering:

Nobones
08-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Without wishing to dampen anyone's spirits, needle tatting is something that is considered fiddler than shuttle tatting. It's a fine needle that can be hard to thread.

I can only use the shuttle, but I'm told the method of making the stitches is very similar, (just one stitch used and worked in 2 parts like the shuttle).

You can use 1 fluid movement, or slowly make each part of the stitch, it depends on the level of confidence in working the stitches.

I hope this is of some use to you, if you need any help and I'd be happy to help you if I can.

BinkyKat
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
NB, I was kind of wondering, actually, what the preferences were between the needle or shuttle. The shuttle seems more fluid.
I watched your videos after my last post...very lovely and easy to view. And I am sort of becoming a geek about accents...you have a very pretty voice. I think my midwestern tone is sorta boring and I wish I lived in England. I love English, Australian, Irish, and Scottish accents (hugh jackman and craig ferguson :teehee::heart:)

Nobones
08-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm actually Welsh, not English. I am proud to be Welsh, however I think the accent's terrible. I have always been told I sound like an English rose, people seem very shocked when I say I've lived all my life in Wales. My father was an English teacher, so I think that's why I have never developed the welsh twang. My hubby is from England yet has a distinct welsh twang much to his annoyance!

I'm glad you found the video helpful. I enjoy doing them and like hearing the feedback.

KnittingNat
08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Nobones, is the Welsh community really bilingual? I had a bit of Welsh taste during my linguistics degree and i think it's a really cool language. Can you speak Welsh, do people around you speak Welsh?

Nobones
08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I cannot speak Welsh, I live in South where it isn't common to speak it. It's still spoken a lot up in North Wales. They do teach it in secondary schools now, but I missed that.

Contrary to what the tourist board will tell you, the Welsh language is dying out. More people I know can speak French, I don't think I know 1 person who can speak Welsh, it's just not popular in the south.