PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who KAL

Pages : [1] 2

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Seriously, we all knew this was coming. :teehee:

This is the place to share all your Doctor Who knitting. (I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you happen to crochet a dalek, that's okay, too! We'll still love you! :wink:) With a pattern, without a pattern, inspired by the Doctor, just like the Doctor.... Basically, anything Whovian goes. :happydance:

Here's a couple of pattern sites to get you started if you haven't started already:
Doctor Who Scarf (http://doctorwhoscarf.com/)
who_knits: Pattern List (http://community.livejournal.com/who_knits/5749.html) - This is a big one that I think has pretty much everything out there.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots (and I mean LOTS!) of pictures! :knitting: :guyknitting: :knitting: :guyknitting:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
:yay::yay::yay:

I KNEW you'd do it, Lady Violet...!

I could sense a KAL in my future...:woohoo:

I'm in! Should be getting all my yarn in the next day or two from Ozeyarns and Yarn Source. I'll be knitting tons and tons and posting lots of pix...yarn pr0n is middle name...well, not really! Hehe!

Thanks for posting the links, btw.

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Martha, it had to be done! :woot:

at the moment i am more unemployed/flat broke than i have ever been. soooo, i have decided to use up my stash! i worked across the street from ac moore for two and a half years and went over there all the time. not good since i was just starting with my knitting and didn't really know the first thing about "nice" yarn. all i knew was that their red heart was always on sale, and it was cheap to begin with. you can imagine what happened. i learned to knit in october of some undisclosed year (i don't remember when it was right off the top of my head and i don't want to bother trying to figure it out) and decided i was going to knit afghans for everybody for christmas! :doh: :roflhard: i was waaay too optimistic for my own good. so now i have all this really cheap acrylic taking up space. i tried to start an irish hiking scarf once, but frogged it. after i started the first row of cables i discovered that i had somehow added some extra stitches. i was actually really glad because i hated knitting with that yarn all of a sudden. :gah: i think reading the forums spoiled me! :teehee: last night i started my own personal time lord scarf inspired by the good Doctor. basically, i'm just knitting with one color until i feel it's time to change to another color. i'm loving it so far! i started it last night and somehow the magical combination of my KP options and what i'm actually knitting is totally overriding any previous feelings i had about this yarn! :cheering: plus, the fact that i'm basically doing this for free doesn't hurt. :teehee:

here's a picture of what i'm using.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1347/1073362317_aaa9eb7af9_m.jpg

most of it is red heart. the yellow is caron perfect match. the winter white is TLC essentials. the two smaller skeins my mom brought me from her storage closet. she's an art teacher. that strangely shaped blue "thing" is my gauge swatch. i was basically figuring out how wide i wanted it. i decided to go with 7" (a CO of 37sts). i tried ten rows of stockinette to see how it compared and definitely didn't like it as much as the garter. the garter just seems much more substantial, plus it didn't try to curl. here's a closeup.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1180/1073515357_067b87bcdf.jpg

*lost somewhere in the corridors of the TARDIS*

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 04:54 PM
i've come to my first quandry. that didn't take long. :roll:
i'm following chris's suggestions (http://doctorwhoscarf.com/instruct.html) for doing a color change. he says that this is how the lady who made the original scarf did it. i looked at the pictures of the orginal, and i can't see it. this is how it's looking in mine:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1313/1074283149_a5edc41739_o.jpg

will the first three (green) stitches just kind of disappear once i knit the second row of burgundy? :shrug:

knitknut
08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
:woohoo: I've been wanting to make the season 12 scarf for my DH for quite some time. I'm definitely in! :happydance: It seems like WOTA might be the best wool for economic reasons. What do y'all think?

LV - I don't know about that color change technique. I think I'll stick to the usual.

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
if you scroll down on this page (http://community.livejournal.com/who_knits/1980.html), there's a list of colors in the Caron One Pound. they're not exact, but cheap and machine washable (although they are acrylic). when i can afford to make the season 12, i'll probably go with the brown sheep nature spun. for wool it's not that expensive at about $3.50 a skein.

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I love it Lady Violet! "Scarf Inspired By The Doctor"!

Just knit away on one colour, then just up and switch when you feel like it to keep it fun...!

I love your yarn, btw...I finally finished my Irish Hiking Scarf, used on-sale Lion Wool in kind of an ugly dark blue...more of that stash I really needed to use.

Not sure about the colour change technique...I'll probably try it on mine and see what I think...garter stitch should be better than stockinette, I agree!

Hmm...my Jo Sharp yarn isn't in yet, boohoo! (just got off work)...better delve into the stash again!

Hey, knitknut, excellent choice for the wool! I think that should knit up very nice...and cozy warm.....maybe we'll all be finished up by the time it starts getting cold!

Martha

stirsmommy
08-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I so want this. Sadly it will have to wait until the Christmas projects are at least halfway done. So I doubt I will get to start my scarf until October. But it is on my list and better late than never right?!?!?

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 08:33 PM
stirsmommy, you have nothing to worry about. this KAL will be running indefinitely, even if i'm the only one keeping it alive! :woot:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
stirsmommy...wow..what a great list of projects...!

I think that's the one thing keeping me from doing a bag...the lining...! EEek!

On another note...I wonder what needles I should use for the Scarf....size 6 is what I had been thinking of for dk yarn...on circular needles (knitted back and forth, not tube). wonder what length I should use...I guess 24" would be fine...decisions, decisions...

Martha

Edit...yay...! Finally found an DW avatar 100x100 pixels and small enough KB to use!

Lady Violet
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Martha, you could just felt one.
i'm using sz.7 32" circs and my scarf only goes a few inches past the tips. of course, i only CO 37 sts. my yarn is worsted, and i think sz.7 is perfect. for DK, i would try 5 and 6 and see which one is tight without being too tight.

annomalley
08-10-2007, 10:20 PM
stirsmommy, you have nothing to worry about. this KAL will be running indefinitely, even if i'm the only one keeping it alive! :woot:

I don't have the yarn yet, but count me in, too!! :woot:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Martha, you could just felt one.
i'm using sz.7 32" circs and my scarf only goes a few inches past the tips. of course, i only CO 37 sts. my yarn is worsted, and i think sz.7 is perfect. for DK, i would try 5 and 6 and see which one is tight without being too tight.

Excellent, thanks!

I don't have the yarn yet, but count me in, too!! :woot:

:yay::woohoo::cheering::happydance:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
:yay:

I've been going insane because my Scarf yarn hasn't arrived...

But I went to my lys to buy some Addis, and asked, "Ummm...you guys wouldn't happen to have Jo Sharp yarn, would you?" (knowing that I've never seen it there).

The wonderful girl working there says, "Oh, we may have some in the storage house." lys is in a converted frame house...they have some small houses next store to keep overstock yarn.

We walked to the other small frame houses...in one we found some balls of Embers and...lo, and behold, one ball of the Lichen colour that I can't find anywhere...hehe!

At the other house we found a whole bag of Lichen...so I bought 5 balls total!:woohoo:

I shouldn't have underestimated HILL COUNTRY WEAVERS in Austin, Texas (couldn't resist the shout out!)...awesome store with awesome prices!!!:notworthy:

Also picked up some Rowan Tapestry to try some Celtic knot type cables...could only afford one ball after all the Addis, etc.

Martha

Lady Violet
08-11-2007, 09:49 PM
i may have to start boycotting KH until i get a job. all this is making me :drool: and get :verysad: all at the same time! :roll:

i don't think that's gonna happen. it's kind of like commercial breaks between Doctor Who eps on you tube. :teehee:

kellycarr05
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Brilliant!! Count me in!!:yay::cheering::woot::woohoo:

Lady Violet
08-14-2007, 01:24 AM

:woohoo:
another :eyes: one!!!
:hug:

rachejm
08-14-2007, 05:42 AM
It'll have to wait until I've finished some other things but count me in too, be a good project for uni in October!

debinoz
08-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I've looked all over and can't find a pattern for Sylvester McCoy's vest. (The second, not the first) I'd had the bright idea to add sleeves and make it a sweater or just use it to make a scarf. Anyone have a clue as to where I can find it? (You'd think with almost 1000 pictures on my site I'd have a better one than this.)

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
debinoz,

I'm usually pretty good at finding these things...I'll have a look around...

There HAS to be at least some kind of chart at least, if not a whole pattern.

Great idea..! Now I'm wanting to make this...AND Peter Davison's vest/sweater (the v-neck cricket-player type item)...going to have to look at other Doctors and find more!

Martha

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Woot! Nice avatar kellycarr05!:woohoo:

Martha

Renoah
08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm so in! ...As soon as I have a job...

My brother needs a scarf. He's going to college, and he has to keep up with his college roommate (who, though he looks for all the world like a short Tom Baker, made his scarf on a kid's loom, the cheater). I feel it is my responsibility to keep him adequately and geekily warm in the winter. :wink:

Lady Violet
08-15-2007, 10:55 PM
here's my scarf so far:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1360/1132307093_d82d97d8c0_o.jpg

i think it's looking really good. i did the first color change between the green and the burgundy the way chris recommended on doctorwhoscarf.com (http://doctorwhoscarf.com/). between the burgundy and winter white i started the new color with the first stitch instead of the third. between the winter white and the yellow i went back to the recommended way. i really like it better. the sides of the scarf go straight down as opposed to the winter white where it kind of bulges a little where i changed the color. i even like the way it shows up in those first three stitches. it's like a secret code being knit into my scarf! :teehee:

if you look at the the stash picture i posted earlier, you'll notice that i didn't have any purple. i was kind of bummed about not having purple in my Time Lady scarf. and the more i thought about it, the more bummed i got. well, mom really surprised me saturday night. she bought me a skein of amethyst red heart! :woot: it's the perfect purple - bright, but not too bright, and royal. cloud9
before i forget, chris posted a short update on DWS yesterday. apparently, a lot of the Jo Sharp colors have been discontinued - not just the khaki. so now he's researching the colors again and will update with new ones once he finds the best matches.

Martha, are you feeling any better? :hug: somehow i missed your post in the other thread monday. :doh:
since you have to wait for your amethyst :verysad:, are you going to start your scarf on the other end, or just wait? did they give you an idea of how long it might be?

mamid
08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
its bad enough that DH wants another jayne hat. If I show him that list of patterns, I'll never be able to knit another shawl again!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Mamid: Hahaha...my nephew really wants one of the Jayne hats...so far I've somehow escaped making one!

Lady Violet: I've been SO sick...throat pain, nose is all congested, cough...ack! I was off yesterday, but spent the day in bed, couldn't even get the energy to knit, walk or anything. This morning (it's 6am now) I'm a little better, going to try and go to work..

I got the Jo Sharp I ordered from Ozeyarns,..but am still waiting on some colours that are coming in from a yarn store in Memphis. They emailed and said Amethyst had been discontinued, but are still sending Camel and another colour I ordered. It's not even here yet!

I looked around and found a company called Woodland Woolworks in Oregon. What a great company...they had 13 balls left of Amethyst, and are sending it 2 day air, I'll get it in tomorrow..yay!:yay: I should be starting on the Scarf tomorrow (I better feel well enough to garter stitch!).

Your scarf looks fabulous! What great colours! That's excellent you got that ball of Amethyst yarn!

Renoah: Good luck on job hunting, a lot of our knitters are currently doing the same! I'm not too happy at my job and keep wanting to quit, then I think about the prospect of looking for another and I chicken out, haha!

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

Lady Violet
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
i knew i forgot something in my last post. :teehee:
Renoah, i love the quote in your sig. when you first added it, i thought "that sounds exactly like something the Doctor would say." but i couldn't actually remember ever hearing him say it. then i saw the new episode friday night, and he said it! :woot: it was great. i really think David Tennant brings the same optimism that Tom Baker had. it's incredible how alike i've noticed their Doctors are.

i have a question, and this is the only place i know to ask it. i've been watching a ton of the classics on you tube. i haven't seen all the Sarah Jane eps yet, but in the ones i have seen, there's no K-9. i think the Doctor mentions him a couple times, but that's it. if Romana took him when they split (good ep, btw), how did Sarah Jane have him in the second new season, and why were she and the Doctor acting like it had been the three of them when she was his companion? is K-9 in all the Sarah Jane eps i haven't seen yet?

Martha, i'm so sorry you're feeling like you are. if you think about it, there is a good thing about just not feeling like knitting. you don't miss it. i know it's very little condolence when you feel like total crap, but when you're better, you won't look back and think "i spent a whole day at home and didn't get any knitting done! what's wrong with this picture?" know that you're not alone. being unemployed for so long has a way of making me feel like crap, too! but we all have the Doctor to make us feel just a little bit better. :hug:

on that note, i was checking the description for tomorrow night's new ep on sci-fi and discovered that lo and behold 6 eps from the 9th Doctor will be on starting at 8 am!!! cloud9 i think i've been having slight Rose withdrawl, so you can imagine how much i am looking forward to tomorrow. i've even started calling the first 2 new seasons "The Rose Years". :teehee:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey, Lady Violet!

I've been watching all the Tom Baker episodes on YouTube as well (making playlists of each episode then playing them all in a row!), and you're right, there is NO K-9 in the Sarah episodes. I'm really going to have to search around for an explanation as to why Sarah recognizes K-9 in the David Tennant episode (great episode, I love it!).

Watched "Genesis of the Daleks" while I was sick yesterday...and some "Tom Baker Tribute" videos...great stuff.

BTW, I started a channel up on YouTube, Marthanna's Mostly British Video...you could probably search for Marthanna...I've only posted episodes of The Young Ones (80's comedy) so far..!

Tomorrow I get the rest of my yarn, then it'll be garter stitching 24/7 for me!

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

PS: I'll be watching tomorrow night's show for sure! (have to work in the day, though boohoo!)

PPS Nice avatar there, Lady Violet!

debinoz
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
K-9 didn't appear in the old episodes until "The Invisible Enemy", a Leela story. K-9 recognizes Sarah because the Doctor sent her her own K-9. So really in that episode he is Sarah's K-9. The reason for this is the BBC series called "K-9 and Company" starring K-9 and Sarah. It's sort of like a mystery show. I have the first episode, but that's all.

Lady Violet
08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
gotcha. so when did he send K-9 to her?

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Excellent, debinoz!

I did not know that! So now...as LV asked, when did he send K-9 to her? I've got to see that...does it happen in the actual K-9 and Company show?

Thanks,

Martha

PammieJR
08-17-2007, 11:32 AM
MAN...how the HECK did I miss this thread? I am doing the motherload of Who knitting.

1. I am making a Season 18 scarf (pattern from the DoctorWhoScarf.com) for my friend with Classic Elite Inca Alpaca yarn. I am using the colors Damask Red, Persimmon, and Seaside. Five feet DONE! [see below]

2. I am making a Season 16 (with the changes for the Shada episode, pattern from DoctorWhoScarf.com) for myself out of just some cheap acyrlic...Red Heart Soft Yarn colors Lt. Grey Heather, Grape, Paprika, Off White, Leaf, a brown color (the label says Black...oops) and then the yellow is actually that Vanna's Choice Lion Brand Mustard. Four and 1/2 feet DONE! [see below]

3. I am making a stuffed Tardis, of which I only have one side done and it isn't blocked.
http://martinleegore.com/Photos/albums/knitting/Tardis1.jpg

4. AND...I am going to attempt a stuffed Dalek at some point
http://martinleegore.com/Photos/albums/knitting/Picture_013.sized.jpg

I REALLY want to make McCoy's sweater vest as well. He is going to be at the Gallifrey 2008 Con I am going to and I think it would be a HOOT if I could meet him wearing it!. I can't find a pattern ANYWHERE...not even a chart...I was thnking of attempting my own. PLEASE post if you find one!!!

I am so excited to get to know you other Who fans AND knitters!!

[PS...as a newbie to Who, I had asked about some good K-9 episodes. "Invisible Enemy" is the intro to K-9 and I was told "Sunmakers" and "The Invasion of Time" were two other good K-9 episodes...YouTube!!!!]

Lady Violet
08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
THERE you are!!!! :woot: :woot:
i figured you just gost lost in E Space or something. :teehee:
i have GOT to make me a stuffed TARDIS. i keep running across the pattern online and i think i may even have it saved somewhere. if any of you are on ravelry, there's someone in the "who knits?" group who designed her own illusion scarf with the TARDIS on one side and a sonic screwdriver on the other. :drool: she said that if she gets a chance to actually put the chart on paper, she'll post it. :yay:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
What beautiful scarves, PammieJR!

Your TARDIS is so cool...!

My BF and I have been looking at the website for Gallifrey 2008 Con, it's looking like we probably will go, just gotta find someone to watch the dogs/cats. I didn't know Sylvester McCoy was going to be there...cool!

Where the heck would one go to look for a Doctor Who hat? I mean the wide-brimmed velvet hat he wears, not a knitted one, haha. I can't seem to find one...maybe buy a fedora, then cover it with the right fabric.

Your in Time and Space,

Martha

debinoz
08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
You don't ever see the Doctor in the show. It's that Sarah shows up for a visit to her aunts house and there's this big box sitting there. The aunt says something like she's had it for ages and found it again while cleaning. I'll have to watch it later and check, but I'm pretty sure that's what happens.

One of my favorite K-9 stories is "Stones of Blood" Poor little fella......

debinoz
08-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok.. she wasn't cleaning. The aunt got the crate (same color as the TARDIS btw) in 1978. The episode I have takes place in Dec. 1981. The aunt mentioned that it had been stored in the attic of her old house and she had moved it with her when she moved to where she was now. Later is says she'd been there 2 years. So... I guess it had just been sitting there for 2 years????

debinoz
08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Screen captures anyone???

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-17-2007, 08:20 PM
OMG! I am so jealous of you having K-9 and Company....(must buy bootleg copy now!)...those are AWESOME screenies....I wish my aunt had something like that waiting for me at HER house..!

Well, I am pleased to say, I finally got my Jo Sharp Yarn!:woot:

AND my BF bought me The Key To Time boxset, yay!

Nice way to come home from a hard day at work...fresh shiny yarn (looks shinier in the pix)...and Doctor Who boxset...woot!

I hope these pictures show up...first time I've posted pix on here..heehee!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures192.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures190.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures195.jpg

I'm all rough looking...hard day at work..just got home, haha!

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

debinoz
08-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Lucky you! That yarn looks so soft. I thought about making another scarf, but as DH reminded me, I have tons of knitting to do already and it would just sit around collecting dust. I've yet to knit my own pattern for the TARDIS dishtowel. Maybe after Christmas!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Lucky you! That yarn looks so soft. I thought about making another scarf, but as DH reminded me, I have tons of knitting to do already and it would just sit around collecting dust. I've yet to knit my own pattern for the TARDIS dishtowel. Maybe after Christmas!

TARDIS DISHTOWEL!! I WANT!

I bet it cleans dishes better than regular dishtowels...but somehow gets lost and never makes it into the laundry basket...:shrug:...hehe!

btw: this yarn is SO much softer than I thought it would be...not itchy at all...and really more substantial than most DK I've worked with...nice...I'm starting on the second colour of the scarf now....trying the changing yarn colour method that Chris' Doctor Who Scarf website mentions...the one Mrs. Pope used on the original...different, but I like it!

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

Lady Violet
08-17-2007, 10:37 PM
i've been looking for yarn for Rose's Wrist Warmers and i really wanted the Peru Luxury DK that the designer used (since it would only cost $6 and is the absolute PERFECT color), but i can only find it at Little Knits and almost all the colors are gone. can you guys think of anything else that would work? KP has bare hanks of the superwash merino for $6. it's 246 yards. that's more than enough, and i could dye it to (hopefully) match the ones she wore, but i just read in another thread that it can pill. would the merino (w/o silk) be as soft as something else with silk?

Martha, you look like you're feeling much better. i wonder why that could be. :teehee:

PammieJR
08-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Martha,

I think you, your yarn and the DVDs look FAB!!! The colors of the yarn look spot on the orginal scarf!

We are looking forward to piccies!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks!

I was up watching The Ribos Operation last night while starting on the scarf...K9 is so cute...Romana is so annoying, haha!

Will post pictures of the Scarf-in-Progress in a few hours...I'm going to wait until the next colour change...

I wish I had an answer for you Lady Violet...about the Rose's Wristwarmer yarn...I'm such a newb knitter!

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

PS: Found a lovely photo of Sylvester McCoy's vest here! Can't link directly to photo...check out all the cool stuff!
http://www.richardwho.com/collectors/GrahameFlynn/index.asp

Lady Violet
08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Martha, is the Jo Sharp as soft as it looks? i was just looking at the current colors on the Jo Sharp website and the aubergine looks almost like the exact color of Rose's wrist warmers. makes sense, really. aubergine is such a british sounding word. :teehee:
this is probably a strange request, but could you look at the classic dk wool page on the website (http://www.josharp.com.au/Yarn/Yarn.html) and tell me how your colors compare (more or less red, brighter - that kind of thing)? (i can't do a direct link to the page because it's set up in frames or something so the address doesn't change for the different pages.) it will be a while before i can get it (obviously). i've never ordered yarn online, so i'd really like to know what i'll be getting beforehand.
TIA! :muah:
now back to Arc of Infinity :out:

oh yeah, that is a great picture of the vest. i bet if you know someone who makes up their own knitting patterns, they could probably figure it out (or something very close to it).

PammieJR
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
WOW! Thanks for the GREAT picture of the McCoy vest...if it kills me, I am going to find a way to make that darn thing if I have to chart it myself!!!

Lady Violet
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
:woot: :woot: :woot: YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

if you ever have doubts, just look at that really cool thing on your head in your avatar pic. i can't wait to knit one of those. they even carry the yarn at my lys, so no waiting for the yarn to get here! :cheering:

(the bad thing about not having a job is that i plan a gazillion projects to do when i finally get a job and have the money for yarn. the good thing is that i have plenty of time to work on my Time Lady scarf! :roflhard:)

Lady Violet
08-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Pammie, i just got the coolest idea. you could knit a fauxhawk in McCoy colors with a question mark on each side! :woot:

that was probably the combination of being unemployed, the fact that it's 12:42 in the morning, and my insanity/nuttiness. :eyes:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Lady Violet, I think the Jo Sharp yarn is pretty soft..not itchy at all...pretty strong stuff, too!

PammieJR, I agree with LV, you should make a fauxhawk hat with a question mark, that would be so cool! Everyone would want one at the con...you'll have a trail of pleading fanboys chasing you around, heehee!

Here's some pix of my progress...I really have to practice taking photos...I lost the book to my camera, so I'm a mess with focus, flash, etc. Plus there's cat/dog hair on everything I want to pose the scarf on, haha!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures200.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures197.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures199.jpg

I've got to weave in those ends today, also decide whether I want to leave out the dark grey section (see Doctor Who Scarf Season 12 pattern on DWS website) or not. Apparently the dark grey section on the bottom left was only in 2 episodes, the first, Robot, and in The Sonatoran Experiement.

Decisions, decisions! :)

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

PammieJR
08-20-2007, 01:00 AM
First off...I LOVE the idea of a Doctor Who fauxhawk hat!!! I can totally see it in my mind now, with colors that match McCoy's vest...you all know I am the queen of the crazy fauxhawk...you I am going to chart it during lunch at work! LOL

Martha...the scarf is looking great!!! Such nice even stitches and the yarn knits up great!!! Makes my all acrylic version look kinda lame! LOL

Lady Violet
08-20-2007, 02:20 AM
thanks Martha! so i guess it's worth the $6.50 a skein. eventually. :roll: i looked at the colors some more, found a website with lots of screencaps from doomsday, and compared the two. i think there's another purple that's even closer (i'm such a purist :eyes:). it's called cyclamen. looks kinda like something else. and the way i say it in my head, it sounds kinda like something else, too. how appropriate. :happydance:

time for an update. my scarf has grown. 254 rows so far.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1106/1178540213_310c21fc17.jpg

i'm really liking it. it's really neat how it tells me when it's ready for a new color. :roflhard:

okay, it's 2:12 in the morning and i've gone through two 5th Doctor serials. time for bed! :waving:

p.s. Martha, i love the brown and khaki in your scarf. it's like oatmeal with and without brown sugar. the colors look like they're spot on. oh yeah, i would definitely knit the gray section just because it was in Robot. but then, that could just be the purist in me coming out again. :teehee:

Abbily
08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Holy cow, I don't know how I missed this thread, but I am in love! :) Everything you girls are doing is so great! I have too many other projects going right now to start any Doctor Who knitting, but I'm going to hang out here anyway just to soak up the Whoness. :) I've been watching old and new episodes on Stage6 at work... but only on my lunch breaks, I swear! ;) I miss Rose, I wish she would come back... What do ya'll think about Catherine Tate as the new companion?

Lady Violet
08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
i think Catherine will be a nice switch from Martha. she's a good actress and everything, but i don't like the way her character is written. plus, i don't like the blatant schoolgirl crush she has on the Doctor. although, i just saw "42" friday night and by the end i actually really liked her. maybe the writing of her character improves as the season goes on. here's hoping.

welcome to the thread!!! :woot:

lurking encouraged, but posts are wonderful, too! (even if you have no knitting to show off) :happydance:

rachejm
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I like Catherine Tate, she was good in the xmas special. I'm looking forward to the new xmas special but I won't say any more as it ties in to the end of the series. I quite like Martha as a companion but she isn't as good as Rose. David Tennant is a great Dr tho.

debinoz
08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I've been working on this since I got so frustrated not being able to find the pattern. My 12 yo kept telling me that the ?'s weren't right, so it took me a while to sort it out. Here's my interpretation of the vest pattern:

Abbily
08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I can't WAIT for the Christmas special, waiting is making me crazy.

Has anyone seen a pattern for Sally Sparrow's scarf in "Blink"? I love her scarf. That's one of my favorite episodes, too.

rachejm
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
'Blink' is such a freaky episode, but I loved it.

Lady Violet
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
i won't get to see "Blink" for another two and a half weeks IF there aren't any interuptions. :pout:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Lady Violet...omg your scarf is so LONG! Very nice! It's just beautiful...you knit pretty quick, btw, I am impressed!

My colours are turning out nicely, I ended up doing the block of grey, it really looks pretty good.

PammieJR: Thanks for the nice compliments...my stitches really aren't that good, in fact I kind of "split" the yarn (grabbed only one ply of the yarn) so there's this very thin thread holding one of the stitches together...not sure how to fix it, it's WAY down near the end of the scarf...! I really need to pay more attention, haha! Now, YOUR stuff is too cool...and you too are such a quick knitter!

Abbily and Rachejm, I have GOT to play catch-up on my "new" Who viewing...I've been so wrapped up in the "old school" stuff with this Scarf obsession I'm in right now, haha! I'm watching the Doctor and Romana, staring at his scarf and whining about how "whah, I wish I was making THAT scarf, instead of Season 12....that one's so much longer!" :gah: Scarf Envy!

debinoz, I think that pattern should work...I've got some spare yarn around, think I'll make a nice swatch of that...use it as a coaster for work...I'm not very good at colorworking, hope I can do it!

On another note, I've been also watching Jon Pertwee as Doctor Who...wow! I had no idea he was so good...all that karate chopping and riding around on motorcycles...drinking wine...Day of the Daleks and The Daemons on YouTube is pretty fun stuff, he is one cool cat!:cool:

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha

PammieJR
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I have been watching classic Who on YouTube as well, since I am a Who newbie starting with the 9th Doctor. Aint YouTube awesome?

Martha, I SO know what you mean about watching the scarf...I end up watching it...trying to figure out approx. where I am on the scarf he is wearing.

Then I watched "City of Death" and gasped in horror (literally OUT LOUD) when I saw T. Baker use his scarf as a towel to wipe off his muddy hand at the end of the the episode...

I tell ya, hand made just isn't appreciated! LOL

I have charted my McCoy Doctor style Whohawk hat (as I am calling it) And I think it will look fab! And the lady I am going to Gallifrey with said she will be seen with me in public if I wear it, so that's a plus!

Abbily
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Lady Violet, you'll like Martha better at the end of the season. I think she goes out with style. I didn't really like her goofy crush either, to me she hasn't been around long enough to 'fall in love' with him... although I have to admit to being a bit in love with David Tennant! :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Hello all!

I'm chugging along on the ol' scarf, will post pix later (it's my day off so I plan a full day of knitting on it!).:X:

Testing YouTube embedding in posts...enjoy the pain of this DW clip all you DW Scarf knitters!:shock:

PR8p3qZ_cgw

PammieJR
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
HOLY COW!! I think my heart skipped a beat in utter horror!!! And I thought the Doctor wiping his hands on the scarf was bad! LOL

Nobones
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
May I recommend blocking every now and then. I finished one and couldn't face blocking all that. Here's Rosco (my pet Dalek) and I modeling it. I really should have a go at blocking it, it could turn out nice.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/mikebull/Scarf01.jpg

Thought you might like another photo of the TARDIS my husband built shortly before I met him.(he built the Dalek too). The TARDIS has since rotted away but we tell the kids in the street it was there one day, gone the next and then Dr Who was back on the telly! You should see the wide eyes!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/mikebull/PoliceBox01.jpg

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Your husband sounds like a pretty amazing guy! God how I'd love to have a TARDIS...and a Dalek! Too bad you don't have the TARDIS anymore...it looks so cool...I would use it as a quiet little knitting room or something. I'm going to show my BF this when he gets off work and whine until he builds me one, haha!

You know, I hadn't even THOUGHT about how "fun" this scarf is going to be to block...! Eeek! I think your scarf looks great...nice and long.

PammieJR
08-22-2007, 10:07 AM
NObones! All I have to say is WOW!!!

I admit that I ended up staring at the Dalek, than the scarf...but then I have a Dalek "thing" LOL

The scarf, Dalek AND Tardis are fabulous!!! I am very impressed with the skills of you and your husband...

Lady Violet
08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
did you guys just hear me gasp? it was loud. REALLY loud. i think i'm still shaking. i love Tom's reaction, though. :roflhard: in my catching up on you tube, i kind of started randomly with some Toms, but then i got smart and started watching them in order. :teehee: when i got to "Castrovalva", the first part had been pulled. BUT i read the comments left for the rest of the parts and discovered that Peter started unravelling The Scarf. THE HORROR!!! :noway: :thud: maybe it's a good thing they pulled that part. :pout: :teehee:
have any of you washed FOs knitted out of acrylic? when i finish my scarf i want to wash it to soften it up a little, but i don't want it to go totally limp. i'm starting to think it's a good thing i'm knitting it out of acrylic. it's kind of cool how when i turn it over to start a new row, the bottom just kind of stays where it is so there's a twist in it. that probably doesn't make any sense at all. :chair: instead of the whole thing flipping over, just the part closest to the needle flips. i guess you could say it's stiff. :doh: :teehee:

Nobones, i am *this* close to moving across the pond and camping out in your backyard. PERMANENTLY. :happydance: does your husband happen to still have the plans for his TARDIS? (that is, if he had them to begin with.)

Martha, i think that would be a REALLY BIG knitting room. :roflhard: :roflhard:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
HOLY COW!! I think my heart skipped a beat in utter horror!!! And I thought the Doctor wiping his hands on the scarf was bad! LOL

I wonder if there's a clip out there of Peter Davison unravelling the Scarf? We'll have to search that one out...!

Maybe I'll put together a nice little compilation of Scarf Torture (unravelling it, burning it, losing it...). or maybe not! Haha!

debinoz
08-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I was going to mention "The Androids of Tara" when Pammie was gasping at the hand wiping. I've seen him use it for lots of different things. I did captures from "Robot" last night and he drug it through a spot of oil in the floor. A little trivia.... the scarf caused Tom Baker to break his ankle during the filming of "The Sontaran Experiment". I think that's why there is so much more footage of Sarah Jane and Harry.

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Hahaha, it's no wonder, I watched The Sontaran Experiment" this week and everyone seems to do a lot of climbing around on rocks...all those rough and tumble fight scenes...Tom Baker must've had to use a stunt double for most of that, especially with a broken ankle..ouch!

Lady Violet
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
i wonder if they had a Scarf double. :??

Abbily
08-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Have you seen "The Deadly Assassin"? He wraps the scarf around a tree branch to keep from falling down a cliff, and then the Master comes along and chops it in half with a sword!

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
i missed that the first time. i guess i'll just have to watch it again. that must have been one of the *many* times when i was looking down at my Scarf. :teehee:

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
oh my. The Doctor really DOES show up everywhere! i was just at the rowan sight looking for a certain book when i discovered this (http://www.knitrowan.com/html/books_category.asp?bookCategory=Rowan+Offers). (fourth book from the bottom - read CAREFULLY ;))

one more thing - Harriet Jones is the aunt in the latest Pride & Prejudice. crazy.

Abbily
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
oh my. The Doctor really DOES show up everywhere! i was just at the rowan sight looking for a certain book when i discovered this (http://www.knitrowan.com/html/books_category.asp?bookCategory=Rowan+Offers). (fourth book from the bottom - read CAREFULLY ;))

one more thing - Harriet Jones is the aunt in the latest Pride & Prejudice. crazy.

How funny that the scarf is in books! :)

I love seeing actors from doctor who in other things- Tom Baker in Monarch of the Glen, for example. And David Tennant in Casanova, which was written by Russell T. Davies and Produced by Julie Gardner, and the girl that plays Bellino in Casanova is later in an episode of Doctor Who with David Tennant. :)

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
when was Tom in Monarch?!? and how did i miss it?!? :noway:
you should have seen the look on my face when i saw Goblet of Fire again after season two started. i just about died! :passedout:

he does evil very well! :teehee:

Abbily
08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Hee hee, I know, I cracked up when I saw David Tennant in Goblet of Fire recently, too!

Tom Baker was in season 6 of Monarch. I LOVE this show! :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/monarch/comments/index.shtml?cast=tom

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
that explains why i don't remember it. i never saw past season 5. i was watching it on bbc america, but i don't think they aired past season 5. if they had, i would have watched it.

to get this back on topic :teehee:, my Scarf is now 30" long. it's starting to get some weight to it, especially when i just let it dangle as i'm knitting it. in fact, if i'm sitting, it's almost to the floor! :happydance:

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Scarf pictures...a bit late...again, I look a bit "rough"...it's about 92 degrees out, and my car doesn't have A/C...just got off work (cardiology clinic).

Ouch! Martha's got some WHITE legs! Hahahaha! All this knitting during summer in Texas keeps 'em that way!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures206.jpg

The scarf is still a light weight...I need to measure the length...can hardly wait to be able to wrap it around my neck!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures203.jpg

Holding it in front of a speaker...we set each DVD on top of this speaker as we watch the episodes...last one must've been Androids of Tara!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/zombywoof_2006/Lotsofpictures204.jpg

I still have to say, this is such great yarn, I could knit with it blind-folded almost! Chris's pattern is wonderful...I get a bit bored with one colour, then it's time to change to another...I'm on Green 44 Rows on the bottom left of scarf pattern (season 12).:woot:

Time to watch "The Deadly Assassin" I think..and flinch at the sword-cutting-scarf scene, haha!

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Martha, that's looking incredible! now i really want some oatmeal. :roflhard:
in the first picture, it almost matches your pillows. you've had Who on the brain a while, huh?

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Martha, that's looking incredible! now i really want some oatmeal. :roflhard:
in the first picture, it almost matches your pillows. you've had Who on the brain a while, huh?

Hahaha!:yay:

Mmmm....oatmeal...!:zombie:

I wish the oatmeal colour was lighter, but on some episodes I guess it does look almost that dark. I'm almost thinking of buying the Brown Sheep wool now and make a Season 16 scarf (love those colours) along with the 12..BF's working a lot of overtime to fund it!

Hey, looking at picture 1, if you look close, you can see the rip in the cushion (on my right), white Dalmatian hair everywhere, and the dirty carpet on the floor! Didn't notice that my kb and mouse are also in view, ack! 2 dogs and 3 (now 2) cats can really take a toll on what used to be good furniture/flooring. Weird how the pillows ARE almost the same colours as the Scarf!

Have a great night everyone...btw, watched DW episode "Blink" on YouTube...I really loved it...those statues are SO scary...think it's one of my faves now...

Gloriapike
08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh man!

My husband has wanted a Dr. Who scarf for quite some time... Since before I learned how to knit, actually!

I am seriously going to have to get to work on it, now!

(I'll definitely post pics!)

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Oh man!

My husband has wanted a Dr. Who scarf for quite some time... Since before I learned how to knit, actually!

I am seriously going to have to get to work on it, now!

(I'll definitely post pics!)

Excellent! I think you'll enjoy making it, all the colours make it not seem boring at all!

Welcome to the thread, Gloria! :cheering:

Abbily
08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Martha, that looks awesome! Great job!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Martha, that looks awesome! Great job!

Thanks, Abbily! Tonight...I watch Dr. Who and knit all the "Doctor Love" into every stitch!:muah:

PammieJR
08-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Martha, your scarf looks beautiful! The colors are great and your stitches are darn near perfect from what I can tell...

And hush up...your cute as a button...apparently even after a long day at work!!

Both of my Who scarves are getting to long for transport in my knitting bag, so they are home projects only at this point!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Awww...thanks, PammieJR! :)

Your scarves are so long you can't transport them! OMG! BTW, I'd love to see more photos of your knitting projects...going to check out your Journal today. I really love the Season 18 scarf...very pretty!

I notice miy Scarf doesn't fit in it's big Ziploc bag anymore...gotta start carrying it in a "real" knitting bag.

My A/C was on the blink Saturday, and so I missed out on many hours of knitting time! Did get to finish up the Key to Time series, though...

knitknut
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Martha and Lady Violet your scarves are looking great! I haven't been here in a while and had some catching up to do. Hopefully I can order my yarn next month!

OK, I admit I'm not the most up to date person on the internet and such . . . but you can watch Dr. Who on You Tube? :noway: I don't have cable or internet at home, but I could watch the Dr. at lunch??!!?? Please tell me how this miracle can occur!!!!!!

DH and I used to watch Tom Baker back in the early 80s and we loved it. (That is why I want to make him season 12 scarf.) I can't imagine Barty Crouch, Jr. as the Dr. This should be good!

Oh, Martha - I found some Ziplocs at WallyWorld that are 2.5 gallon size. Your scarf should fit in one for a while.

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Awesome, knitknut! :)

I think after the last few days of KNITTING, KNITTING, KNITTING, I think I'm ready for the BIG bags..!

And yes, my friend, you CAN watch the Doctor at lunch! lucky gal! :) In small 10 minute segments you can watch episodes, or make a "playlist" where you put all the 10 minute segments in a list, then click "play all videos" to play them all in a row. I do that with most of them, although at lunch, doing 10 minute bits might work great...if you look up a user named ange728, she seems to have a huge collection of episodes, just type her name in Search box...if you click on her name you get her "channel" and can peruse all the stuff :)

Have fun, and thanks for the compliments and tip about Ziploc...on my way to the store now!

Abbily
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Knitknut, you can also watch them here (http://stage6.divx.com/videos/search:doctor+who+2x07) and here (http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/26). The first link is not the 'homepage' for the Doctor Who stuff, just the page I happened to bookmark when I first found the website. You can search for the different episodes. The second link is the page for the new Doctor Who series, but if you click on 'shows' there are also links for the classic series and Confidential, as well as about a million other TV shows.

knitknut
08-29-2007, 11:07 AM
:happydance: Woot! This is great!

:oo: Is it lunchtime yet? I think I'm hungry now. :oo:

Abbily
08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Yup, that's how I spend all my lunches too! :) (and sometimes just when I'm bored at work... shhh!)

Gloriapike
09-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I promised I'd post pics of my progress!

(click for larger image)
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/gloria_repository/knits/th_scarf1.jpg (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/gloria_repository/knits/scarf1.jpg)

I'm been working on it for a week. For the first time I've actually taken something I'm knitting with me out of the house, because I can just mindlessly knit while I'm riding in the car and whatnot... hehe.

I'll probably post another pic once I'm further along!

joyuna
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey guys,
I'm working on a scarf as well, for my boyfriend. Not very far along yet (I'm in the middle of the second stripe, haha) but it'll be my mindless TV knitting project that I'll hopefully get done in time for Christmas. :mrgreen: I'll post a picture once I get it to any substantial size.

I'm doing it in WOTA, in colors Snickerdoodle (tan), Iron Ore (red), Fern (green), Maple Syrup (brown) Mist (gray), Wheat (yellow, though not a very good yellow), and Blueberry ('purple', haha... which actually turned out a MUCH brighter blue than was shown on the website. Oh well.). I've also reduced the number of CO stitches to 40, and reduced the row amounts for the season 12 scarf pattern to about 3/4 of what was written, to compensate for the worsted weight.

PammieJR
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
WOW, Gloria, your scarf is looking great!

I look forward to seing your scarf, Joy!

Gloriapike
09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I've also reduced the number of CO stitches to 40, and reduced the row amounts for the season 12 scarf pattern to about 3/4 of what was written, to compensate for the worsted weight.

Yeah, I didn't decrease my # of CO stitches to compensate for worsted OR for my size 8 needles (what I had lying around!), so mine is extra-wide. XD

My husband's happy with it, though, so it's fine. :)

PammieJR
09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
OK, I have now run into the problem that the scarves are so long, I don't know how to photograph them for updates!?

Any suggestions

Lady Violet
09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
do it a section at a time. take a picture of one section, then take a picture of the section above it with the top few rows of the last section at the bottom of the next section for reference.

i know i haven't posted in here in a while. the last couple of weeks have been crazy busy and i can't believe it's actually been a couple of weeks! i don't have time to update right now, but i should be able to tonight.
KNIT ON!!!!!

:out:

:teehee:

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm another one who hasn't posted much, sorry! Too busy knitting...really! :)

I made the "mistake" of buying Malabrigo at the lys and knitted up 2 hats over the past 5 days...also working on the ol' DW Scarf...

Also been watching lots of DW on Stage6 website...today, it's DW with Jon Pertwee..woot!:woohoo:

http://stage6.divx.com/Cult-of-Cosmo/video/1403583/Inferno#a

Great stuff, guys! joyuna, your colours are fantastic, I was checking them out online, very nice..lucky BF! Gloriapike, yours looks great...I can't believe how much you got done in a week...!

PammieJR, I was wondering that, too...my Scarf is getting pretty long...I'm going to drape mine in a pile, maybe...or make my BF model it, heehee! Will post pics later on today!

Lady Violet
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
i don't quite know what to say. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CriRJywTDfQ) :shrug:

Lady Violet
09-05-2007, 09:16 PM
here's that loooooong awaited update. i'll try not to make it too, um, long. :teehee:

my grandmother in baltimore died two weeks ago yesterday. we drove up for the funeral that friday and came back on sunday. my brother was able to fly up from tech school. it was sad that that was the reason we went up, but it actually turned out to be a good trip. i bonded with that part of the family in a way i never had before. as we drove away from the city after dropping my brother off at the airport, i actually felt the familial love that was in that city tugging at me. i really didn't want to leave. now i'm determined to go back up whenever i get the chance. during the drive there i got through a color and a half on my Scarf, and it's now waiting for another color change. i also got completely hooked on the socks in the city podcast, so now i'm obssessed with socks and am currently knitting my first one. (using silver's class, of course. :wink:)

the monday after we got back, i got a call that i was being recommended for a 2nd grade teacher assistant position. basically, recommendation means the job is yours unless they find you unworthy of said job. since i have been able to completely cover up my horrid criminal background :roflhard:,

*drumroll please*

:woot: I HAVE A JOB!!!!!! :woot:

i go for my orientation next wednesday morning, and then i can start. i'm really looking forward to getting a paycheck again. oh, and i think i'll enjoy what i'll be doing, too. :teehee:

i got my own TARDIS.

wait. what?!? :noway:

yep. you read that right. last year my incredibly wonderful grandfather offered to help me start out right by buying me a car when i get a full-time job. of course, i also had to take a "powderpuff mechanics" course, too. (his words - he's from that generation. :teehee:) so anyway, on friday, this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1103/1333391812_27df03cd79_m.jpg

came home with me. it's a honda fit. (that's Fantastic Interspacial Transportation. :wink:) it looks small, but it's got incredible cargo space. when i first saw it at the dealership, i looked in the back and automatically started thinking about all the yarn i could get in there. :roflhard:

speaking of yarn, i found the most incredible lys today. it looks like a little old house, and i mean OLD. every room is stuffed with yarn, books, needles, notebook upon notebook full of patterns, and more! it was amazing. two of the rooms even had spinning wheels. i felt like i had reverted back to my three-year-old self with bulging eyes, open mouth, and drool trying to reach the floor. :teehee: i got to feel mmmmm for the first time. it didn't really feel that special, so i think i'll just have to buy some and let it relax unwound so it WILL feel special. :roflhard: i found several options for Rose's Wrist Warmers. :yay: that's probably what's got me the most excited. i know exactly where i'm going with what's left of my first paycheck, after bills (if there's anything left :roll:).

well, i think that's it. i really hope this isn't too long, and here's hoping i don't wait this long again to post! :thumbsup:

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM
1) I LOVE the David Tennant video..! It's from the TV Show Blackpool...a musical/drama/comedy.

Plus, I'm a HUGE Morrissey/Smiths fan, and that's one of my favorite songs! :inlove:

2) CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB/CAR/SOCKS! :yay::yay:
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woohoo::woohoo:

That is AWESOME, LV! You deserve every bit of happiness that's come through....love the "Fantastic Interspacial Transportation"...it is just beautiful...can haul a lot of yarn in such a vehicle...heeeeheeee!

I'll post some pix soon...got to watching DW and got distracted.

Sorry about your GM, but so happy that things turned out so well between you and your family...what a great GF you have... :)

Have a wonderful night, TEACH! :teehee:

Abbily
09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
LOVE the video! :) Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dUQgIaXGg&mode=related&search=) another one for your viewing pleasure...

Lady Violet- WOW, that's a lot of update! I'm sorry to hear about your grandma, but all the other news is wonderful! Congrats on your new job and your very own FIT! :)

PammieJR
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow, Lady V! Lots of news!

My condolences about your gran, I know how hard it is to lose a loved one.

But congrats on the job and your F.I.T. All it needs is a light on the top and it is ready for space AND time travel. I have been looking at one of those for my next auto...so you like it?

Martha: Who needs to whine when Morrissey can do it for you? I have loved that man since my teenage years and it was awesome to here that song.

I did find someone on YouTube that has the whole Blackpool series on thier account if anyone is interested...

As for my season 16 scarf it now touches the floor on both sides when placed around my neck. I have decided to literally knit it with the yarn I have (and not buy anymore) until I run out. So I did an experiment with the tassels. I put the tassels on the finished (top) end, and then cut the same amount for whenever I finished off my yarn.

We'll see how long it gets...I am less than half of the way through the pattern! LOL

Lady Violet
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
i love it. the back seats fold completely down so you can get LOTS of yarn in the back. the front seats fold completely down, too. i've never seen that on a car before. crazy.
it hit me this morning that my GF's birthday is next month. i feel a mmmmscarf gifting coming on!!! :woot: and now i know just where to get it. :thumbsup:

Abbily, that video's just plain scary. :teehee:

debinoz
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I like this one MUCH better!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FU0QwHqXO0&mode=related&search=

Abbily
09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Mmmmm, yeah, I watched that one this morning too. What I wouldn't give to be one of those women.... :)

debinoz
09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Exactly!! I kept thinking "I want to be that one." "No, that one." "Definitely that one!"

Abbily
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
PammieJr- OK, I'm totally hooked on Blackpool now, I've watched the first 3 episodes, and now I can't find the 4th! I'm going to search some more, but I remembered you said you know where to find them on youtube. :) If you could let me know, I'd SO appreciate it! :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
PammieJr- OK, I'm totally hooked on Blackpool now, I've watched the first 3 episodes, and now I can't find the 4th! I'm going to search some more, but I remembered you said you know where to find them on youtube. :) If you could let me know, I'd SO appreciate it! :)

Abbily, I've been catching all the David Tennant DW episodes, Sarah Jane Adventures, and other shows (Arrested Development - whole series!) on http://stage6.divx.com

They may have Blackpool as well (btw, I have a username/channel there, MarthaWhoFan, look me up!).

The video is great, and not in 10minute chunks...you can watch the whole thing!

PammieJR
09-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Look for the YouTube account blackpoolroxmysox I believe this person has the whole run on thier account! (I admit I haven't watched it yet...I am still in the world of classic Who...

I have been trying to think of how to photograph my ever growing scarves. My mom is coming for a visit this week and I will either have her model or have her take piccies of me wearing the scarves...

Lady Violet
09-11-2007, 10:15 AM
you could do a really cool foreshortening shot with the scarf layed out on a porch railing or something. i'm always fascinated with foreshortening. i guess that's the "art teacher's daughter" in me. :teehee:

Abbily
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Martha & Pammie, thanks for the responses! I am addicted to Stage 6, that's where I get my Who fix every day. I could only find the first 3 episodes of Blackpool there, but I did find the rest on youtube. I LOVE that show... but somehow I don't see it doing well here in the states. Our remake is already on the '5 worst new shows' list and it hasn't even premiered!

Lady Violet
09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
i don't think a lot of the really good british shows would do very well over here. just goes to show that we actually have taste. i wonder what's wrong with the rest of the country....:think:

:roflhard:

Lady Violet
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
tomorrow i go for my orientation, and then i should be starting my new job on thursday. :woohoo:

i was looking at the online version on the new employee packet and found this:

What should I bring?

A light snack is recommended for those who require nutrition within a four-hour timeframe. There are vending machines available on-site; however, selections may not be to your liking or limited by previous participantsí purchases.

i don't know why, but that just had me :roflhard:.

i noticed that it didn't say anything about knitting. i wonder if i could get away with it. :think:

is my first yarnimeanpaycheck here yet? :teehee: although, i really don't know if i'll have any left for yarn since it will basically be half a check. :pout:
scratch that. my grandfather is getting that mmmmmscarf, dangit! :teehee:

i am loving stage6!!! it's the only place i've seen "robot." that scarf has been through A LOT of abuse. what a shame. and it was such a pretty scarf, too. :verysad:

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
A light snack is recommended for those who require nutrition within a four-hour timeframe. There are vending machines available on-site; however, selections may not be to your liking or limited by previous participantsí purchases.

Hahahaha!:roflhard:

I take it some English teacher must've written this, right? Or maybe the lunch lady!?

Good idea for a website...quotes from employee handbooks, etc.!

I just LOVE "Robot"! Tom Baker looks great and he's so...quirky...great introduction to the 4th Doctor...the story is so good too, that weird smart-people group...the Professor guy....I love how Sarah is sneaking around their compound...heehee...!

joyuna
09-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Here's my scarf WIP :]

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5987/wip001xc1.jpg

Lady Violet
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
lookin' good, joyuna!!! :cheering:

at orientation today i found out i don't get paid until halloween. :pout: good thing i'm not one for dressing up. it's funny, though, because i absolutely LOVE costumes, especially period and fantasy/scifi stuff. until i come up with the absolutely perfect Time Lady costume complete with Scarf (which is knitting up nicely :teehee:), i would probably just stick with dressing like Rose. all i would really need is her Wrist Warmers. i could probably afford those since, oh yeah. i forget to mention this. i helped out the sweetest 1st grade teacher in the whole world for 3 weeks when her assistant hurt her back (stress fractures in her spine an hour and a half into the school year). my mom (who teaches at the same WONDERFUL school) brought home an envelope yesterday to me from that wonderfully sweet teacher. I GOT GIFTED!!!!! :woot: $25 at one of my LYSs!!!! i could not believe it. you know how when you get excited sometimes you shake as you breathe? that's what i was doing. just like when i walked out onto the lot at the dealership and saw my TARDIS. :teehee: so anyway, i have plenty to get yarn for the Wrist Warmers. well, if they have the right color. i'm also considering using it for part of the yarn for my first sweater. of course, i haven't decided quite decided which one i want to start with (from IK, of course).

one more thing - my brother should be home sometime within the next 30 minutes!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
i just hope i get to spend some time with him before he flies to okinawa. :roll:

UPDATE: he's home!!!!! :yay: :cheering: :yay:

PammieJR
09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Looking GOOD, Joy!

Thanks for the updates Violet!

Abbily
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Joyuna, that's looking great!

Violet, wow, you're busy!

I got to see Martha's scarf in person yesterday, and it is just fabulous! I can't wait to see more of it! :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Joy, your Scarf is fantastic! I PROMISE (once again..cough cough) to post pix of my progress...really! I just hope I don't run out of yarn...I think my stitches are tighter than I thought and my supply of d/c yarn is running low...NOOO!

Lady Vi...I'm so happy your brother is in town...and you got LYS cash...and...HEY...you have too much good news! Heehee!:cheering:

Thanks for the compliment Abbily:aww:...I got to see Abbily's Oddball Shawl and it is FANTASTIC! Rows of heathery softness, feathery-glitter, etc...just beautiful...she should be glad I didn't just run off with it...I'm kind of like a cat...I like glittery/soft/comfy/fuzzy stuff! Still jealous that you have a swift in your office...:mrgreen:

PammieJR...where are those pix of your Mum posing with Scarves?? Hmmm? :)

Gloriapike
09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
My scarf's halfway done!

Unfortunately my husband's been working 12-hour shifts so he's not been around to help me photograph it. >_>

Gloriapike
09-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Okay! Photo of the scarf at 50%!

(click to enlarge)
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/gloria_repository/knits/th_whoscarf2.jpg (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/gloria_repository/knits/whoscarf2.jpg)

As you can see, it's about as long as a couch, now. It's taller than I am!

Lady Violet
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
that is looking really good!!! :yay:

Abbily
09-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Gloria, that's fabulous!!

PammieJR
09-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Great Stuff Gloria!

I may now be near the end of my own Who scarf...I am about 3/4 done with the pattern of the original and I think after this last bit I am going to run out the beige color. It is uber long and I love it.

Mom and I have been busy having fun and have not been taking pictures of my knitting but she WILL!

We have watched alittle Who since she has been in town and she thinks Tennant is as cute as a button! LOL

Abbily
09-21-2007, 10:00 AM
PammieJR, I can't wait to see pics!

PammieJR
09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Here is me modeling the two Doctor Who scarves I am working on:

http://martinleegore.com/Photos/albums/knitting/APicture_013.jpg

http://martinleegore.com/Photos/albums/knitting/APicture_014.jpg

Lady Violet
09-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Pammie, those are gorgeous!!! :inlove:

Abbily
09-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Pammie, those are incredible!! Great job! :)

DinahB
09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh boy! I've ordered the yarn - hope it will arrive today, and have knitting needles ready to start on the Who scarf!
I'm doing season 12 - the challenge will be when I have to change colors (if not before) as I'm new to knitting after 37 years.
I ordered the Nature Spun Sport from Brown Sheep.

knitknut
09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Gloria your scarf is looking sooooo good.

Pammie - your scarves are awesome, too! I love how you have already done the fringe on one end. :rofl:

I still haven't ordered my yarn. I know once I get it I won't work on anything else, so I'm working on other Christmas knitting first. Thought it might motivate me to work faster. :teehee:

PammieJR
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
knitknut...yeah, I wondered if anyone would notice the fringe on one end. I did it as an experiment to see how much yarn I would need to make the fringe so I could have it all cut ahead of time and then just knit carefree until I ran out of yarn. LOL

I should let you all know...I have cast off on my Season 16 scarf!!! I totally ran out of the beige color...so now it is just weaving in the ends and putting the fringe on the end!

PS...I want more piccies of other people's scarves! ;)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh boy! I've ordered the yarn - hope it will arrive today, and have knitting needles ready to start on the Who scarf!
I'm doing season 12 - the challenge will be when I have to change colors (if not before) as I'm new to knitting after 37 years.
I ordered the Nature Spun Sport from Brown Sheep.

Awesome! That's the one I'm working on, but in the Jo Sharp yarn...I think you'll be very pleased...Mine's turning out beautiful...only about 1/2 done, though (my BF's been ill, I got stuck knitting gift hats for co-workers, etc.excuses excuses, I know)...today I worked on it every chance I had (while at work), then I left the darn thing AT work! Wanted to take pics today when I got home.

I'm so sorry everyone for lack of pics recently.

PammieJR and Gloria your stuff looks great! Gloria, I LOVE your colours!

PammieJR, you are TOO CUTE in your scarves!:muah: I wish I could wear scarves better, haha! I hope I don't run out of yarn...some of the colours are discontinued....ack!

Now you need a proper HAT to go with 'em..wonder if it's possible to KNIT a Dr. Who hat (?). Really, I've thought of it, but don't know how that wide of a brim would work...maybe with wire?

Hmmm....:think:

PammieJR
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Where is everyone in the Who nation?

Tomorrow night is the season finale here in the US!

Abbily
10-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Pammie, are you watching them on the Sci Fi channel? We don't have cable, so I'm reduced to watching them on DVDs from the library, or on my computer (although I did pre-order season 3 from amazon with a coupon!) Have you watched ahead, or will this be your first time to see the finale?

Lady Violet
10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
what?

what?!?

GAAAAAAAH!!!!

poor, poor Doctor. who knew the iceberg was blue? :wink:

Pammie, how's your fauxhawk coming along?

annomalley
10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Wow. Everyone's doing such a fantastic job! :cheering: I've got a pair of gloves I really need to get finished, and some other things I have to get done before I could start this, but I am going to start accumulating the yarn for the season 12 scarf and admire all of your work in the meantime.

PammieJR
10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Abbily...I admit, I watched them all online after they aired in England, but I know there are some who are only seeing them via SciFi. SciFI has been totally butcherng these last three episodes, cutting out important plot stuff, IMHO. I would advise everyone to catch the unedited versions from the UK (or when they come out on DVD in the US...NOv somthing?).

Lady Violet...I am still deciding if I want to try to find a v-necj sweater vest pattern and try to make the real thing or continue with the Whohawk idea. No progress in that area...

Lady Violet
10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
november 6th. just in time for me to order it on amazon after i get my next paycheck. i think if you pre-order it it's at least $20 cheaper.

you could just do the sweater vest AND the Whohawk. some may think it's overkill (not me :wink:), but at least that way you wouldn't have to make up your mind. :happydance:

Abbily
10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Pammie, that's awful, I can't believe they're chopping up the episodes! Have they done that all along? Now I'm not so upset about not having cable! :(

I pre-ordered season 3 a couple of weeks ago... I can't wait to see the special features! I love David's video diaries on season 2. :)

PammieJR
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Lady Violet...I LIKE the way you think! Maybe I will get the yarn for my Whohawk this weekend and then decide if I want to attack the vest. I am going to look like a COMPLETE nutter at this convention! LOL

Abbily, YES both the BBCAmerica and Sci-Fi have always "edited" the episodes. For the main reason that they can add more commercials here in the US...I beleive commercials in the UK are done in large blocks and don't cut episodes into as many pieces? If I am also correct, that last episode was over 50 minutes on UK TV...we got about 42 minutes? That's why I have made sure to watch the episodes over the internet so I get the whole thing!

Lady Violet
10-10-2007, 05:43 PM
:noway:

i had no idea they cut so much out! i got the season one box set at borders' educators week and i've been watching it practically every night for the last week and a half or so. they must have started cutting out more fairly recently because nothing's been sticking out as new as i watch the episodes. and talking about looking like a complete nutter :eyes: - i picked up the soundtrack saturday night at best buy. i had a ten dollar thing that expired on saturday. i hadn't been able to decide what i wanted to spend it on since the one best buy i had been to earlier didn't have the soundtrack. as soon as i got the other best buy saturday, i went straight to the cds on the off chance they might have it. well, they even had an official spot for it! :woot: i almost hyperventilated. seriously. i had to cover my mouth to keep myself from screaming out loud. on the way out i was getting a little frustrated with the plastic wrapper. it just did not want to come off. i know i looked absolutely crazy in my little TARDIS trying to open it. i was dancing in my seat like i had to pee. then of course when i finally DID get it out, i popped it into the player straight away, rolled down my windows, and blasted it through the parking lot in true Whovian style. as i listened to "westminster bridge" i felt like an intergalactic time agent on a mission. :cool:

cloud9

Abbily
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Well that just STINKS about them cutting the episodes down! I've been watching them on PBS, but our PBS only has the 1st season, apparently, because they just started it over again for at least the 3rd time... They show the 'confidential' episodes afterwards too, but they are cut-down versions. I always thought they were cut down for PBS, which made me mad... until I got the season 2 box set and discovered it has the cut-downs too! :P NOT FAIR!

LadyV, I wish I had been there with you and your CD! ;) I downloaded the album and have been blasting it (quietly) here at work. :)

Lady Violet
10-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Pammie, in the who knits? group on ravelry there's someone knitting a sweater vest. she's using this pattern (http://www.wizardknits.com/school_vest_pattern.html)and just adding the fair isle.

PammieJR
10-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info Lady, I still haven't decided if I want to do the Whohawk and the vest or what. I love the complete uniqueness of the Whohawk, but I love the exactness of making a copy of the sweater vest. AH, I'm torn.

Lady Violet
10-15-2007, 05:06 PM
well, you know what I would do. :teehee:

knitknut
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
:noway:

i had to cover my mouth to keep myself from screaming out loud. on the way out i was getting a little frustrated with the plastic wrapper. it just did not want to come off. i know i looked absolutely crazy in my little TARDIS trying to open it. i was dancing in my seat like i had to pee. then of course when i finally DID get it out, i popped it into the player straight away, rolled down my windows, and blasted it through the parking lot in true Whovian style. as i listened to "westminster bridge" i felt like an intergalactic time agent on a mission. :cool:

cloud9 :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

ladynikon
10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I am doing a dr who scarf. I changed some of the colors ( maroon instead of red). We shall see.

annomalley
10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I am doing a dr who scarf. I changed some of the colors ( maroon instead of red). We shall see.

I've got three of the seven colors for the Season 12 scarf sitting in a bag in my bedroom, but I had to have the LYS order the other four. She told me it might be a couple of weeks before they come in. But that was a week ago, so maybe they'll call this week...

Lady Violet
10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
so how is everone's Who knitting coming along? i've got the yarn for the wrist warmers, and i'm ordering the needle tips on wednesday. (payday, glorious payday :happydance: ) i can't wait to get started. i've been so busy planning my christmas knitting, i haven't gotten the urge to work on my scarf in a while, but that's okay. it's not like it's going anywhere. :wink:

annomalley, have you heard from your lys yet?

annomalley
10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Lady Violet, not yet. :sad: Hopefully I will hear from them soon. She told me it would be a couple weeks, and it's been two.

Abbily
10-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Just had to post this awesome picture my husband sent me today. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/dalekpumpkin.jpg

PammieJR
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
OK, I am thoroughly impressed with the Dalek pumpkin!

Thanks for posting!

annomalley
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
The rest of my yarn hasn't come in yet. :cry:

But I wanted to know if anyone's seen this (http://woolly-knit-bits.blogspot.com/2007/09/blogging-virgin.html)? :)

Lady Violet
11-05-2007, 12:18 AM
that's great! have you seen the patterns on ravelry? there's Doctors 9 and 10, and Rose! they're linked from the who_knits? group. but i think ravelry might be having problems or something right now because i can't get back in. :pout:

have you given them a call about your yarn?

desamara
11-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I just started reading the forums a few days ago, but I thought I'd post a picture of the Dr Who scarf I made for a friend.

I started work on the season 12 scarf around the beginning of October and finished the Friday before Halloween.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb175/jadealion/drwhoscarf.jpg

Lady Violet
11-08-2007, 08:42 PM
great scarf, and welcome to the forums!!! :hug:

i just gotta wonder, what does tom baker think of all these scarves people are knitting? it's like a whole subculture (and i'm proud to be a part of it! :wink:).

debinoz
11-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't know if he does anymore, but he used to not think very highly of DW fans. He refused to do any kind of fan related or DW related appearances. Very much so the first 10 or so years after his stint. I think he may have mellowed out since then.

Lady Violet
11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
wow. that's kind of sad. i wonder why. :think:

debinoz
11-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I think a couple of reasons were that he wanted to quit before they wanted him to (Around the e-space series) and the other was he and Lalla Ward wanted to get married and they wouldn't allow it while they were filming. So I guess it just boiled down to ill feelings for the show and anything related to it..

PammieJR
11-10-2007, 01:29 AM
I thought he had majorly chilled since the old days?

He takes part of the DVD extras and commentary and I got the impression he was pretty cool about doing Who related stuff now.

He seems to be pretty pleased and talkative on the DVD stuff?

Anyone?

annomalley
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I thought he had majorly chilled since the old days?

He takes part of the DVD extras and commentary and I got the impression he was pretty cool about doing Who related stuff now.

He seems to be pretty pleased and talkative on the DVD stuff?

Anyone?

DH said for the longest time he was burned out on Doctor Who, since he did it for so long. He also said that Tom Baker's mellowed quite a bit since then.

DH is initiating me into the show. I've mainly seen the new ones, but he's gotten some of the older episodes from the library and we've watched them together. I think he likes showing me all about the Doctor.

Lady Violet
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I think a couple of reasons were that he wanted to quit before they wanted him to (Around the e-space series) and the other was he and Lalla Ward wanted to get married and they wouldn't allow it while they were filming. So I guess it just boiled down to ill feelings for the show and anything related to it..

yep. that would do it. :roll:

debinoz
11-11-2007, 12:22 AM
I know he has done quite a few DW related things. It was only about the first ten years or so afterward that he balked. I do know that he started doing more things. I think one of the first things he did was the commentary/story telling on the "Shada" episode. That was in 1994.

Lady Violet
11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
annomalley, got your yarn yet?
i just got my needle tips and harmony cable needles in the mail today. after i do all my christmas knitting (which is all pretty simple, really), i'll be able to start on the wristwarmers! :cheering:
i absolutely L:heart:VE the cable needles. they're so smooth! i could seriously rub them all day. i'm even considering taking one to school/work with me on monday. :teehee:

annomalley
11-18-2007, 01:35 PM
annomalley, got your yarn yet?
i just got my needle tips and harmony cable needles in the mail today. after i do all my christmas knitting (which is all pretty simple, really), i'll be able to start on the wristwarmers! :cheering:
i absolutely L:heart:VE the cable needles. they're so smooth! i could seriously rub them all day. i'm even considering taking one to school/work with me on monday. :teehee:

I've got six of the seven colors. :cheering: They came in to my LYS last Thursday. I went in there for something else and happened to ask if she'd heard anything and she said that they came in but she hadn't had time to unpack them yet. The only one that didn't come in yet was the green. So I'm going to cast on and work as far as the green. Hopefully, by the time I get that far, the green will come in.

joyuna
11-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I am nearly done with my scarf - hoping to finish today, in perfect time to mail to my sweetie in the UK for Christmas. :) It's a bit over 7 feet right now.

Abbily
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Joyuna, that looks marvelous! Great job!

Lady Violet, I'm getting the harmony interchangeables for christmas... I can't wait... :)

And, in the world of Doctor Who... I just thought I would share that I knit these cute little ballet slippers from start to finish yesterday, mostly while watching my Season 3 DVDs! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/balletslippers.jpg

annomalley
11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2057681022_6fcc2b1b09_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/msannomalley/2057681022/)

Here's the progress on my scarf. My green yarn hasn't come in yet and I've hit the 44 row block of gray right before the first block of green, so it looks like this will have to sit for awhile, unless I go reeeeeaaaalllly slow with this gray section. ;)

If you click on the link, it will take you to my Flickr page where you can see this enlarged.

Lady Violet
11-23-2007, 07:59 PM
that looks REALLY good. it's amazing how even and straight those edges are! COME ON GREEN!!!!!!

Abbily
11-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, that looks really great!

annomalley
11-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Lady Violet and Abbily! :aww:

I was in the LYS today and she thought my green might come in sometime next week. Apparently, Brown Sheep Nature Spun is so popular, the Brown Sheep company can't keep up. :) That's what she thinks anyway.

Lady Violet
11-26-2007, 11:35 PM
that's good news, compared to just sitting on your hands and waiting. let us know if/WHEN it comes in! :)

i would say to tell them to shear those sheep, but that probably wouldn't be very sheep friendly now that it's almost december, unless their sheep are in aussie land. :teehee:

Yarnlady
11-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I watched my first episode (and I believe the most recent) of Dr. Who the other day (while waiting for the Torchwood-a-thon) and have to say I'm kinda hooked. :teehee:

Now as I don't relish watching the B&W episodes and such, can someone tell me how far I should go back in order to get the jist of everything and start enjoying the series? :shrug:

debinoz
11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
You really could just start with the new ones. From 1963 to 1989 they added info and built on the Doctors character and background here and there. So, there is really no "good" place to start, the new ones have about the same info. I've watched the entire old series "An Unearthly Child" to "Survival" a half dozen times or so. It's interesting to see how the different actors interpret the character.

Pudify
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, I just got my first proper knitting machine, so count me in for a 17 foot scarf! I did 'try' to do it by hand, but the cramp was so horrible I just couldnt go on *sob story here*. But now my hands are mechanical so its on, oh its on, its so on.

Lady Violet
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Pudify, :roflhard:!

debinoz, did you see them online, or are they out on dvd? i've seen at least part on unearthly child, but i don't think i saw all of it. it's hard to find.

Yarnlady, i would say start with the fourth and fifth doctors, but that would be a lot of hours Whowatching. :teehee: i actually haven't seen anything between peter davison and christopher eccleston. after seeing davison's regeneration, i just couldn't bring myself to watch any more! it's a huge switch. :teehee:

come to think of it, jon pertwee (the third doctor) is really good, too. plus, he has sarah jane. :happydance:

PammieJR
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Lady Violet,

You USED to be able to catch nearly every available episode somewhere on line and I was in the process of watching them all from the beginning. I had gotten almost all the way through the 3rd Doctor (Pertwee) when nearly ALL the episodes disappeared. I think the BBC really had a crack down on the internet uploads of Doctor Who. NOw I basically scrounge for what I kind find and watch the ones available on DVD through Netflix. I am hoping that episodes will soon be up again and I can catch the ones I missed.

annomalley
11-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I watched my first episode (and I believe the most recent) of Dr. Who the other day (while waiting for the Torchwood-a-thon) and have to say I'm kinda hooked. :teehee:

Now as I don't relish watching the B&W episodes and such, can someone tell me how far I should go back in order to get the jist of everything and start enjoying the series? :shrug:

It was the new episodes that got me hooked on the show. When I asked my DH about watching some of the old ones with him, he was so happy!

Yarnlady
11-29-2007, 07:39 AM
I watched the first three episodes with Eccleston last night on Netflix. I'm kinda hooked. :teehee: I love time travel so this is really fun.

debinoz
11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks to my wonderful, terrific, thoughtful, and generous brother, I have every episode on DVD. Even the extras they put out like the one on missing episodes. He had most episodes on VHS, taped off the local PBS channel quite a few years ago. He then transfered them to DVD and bought some of the newer (old series) that he could find and didn't have. Did I mention how wonderful my brother is?!!?

annomalley
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks to my wonderful, terrific, thoughtful, and generous brother, I have every episode on DVD. Even the extras they put out like the one on missing episodes. He had most episodes on VHS, taped off the local PBS channel quite a few years ago. He then transfered them to DVD and bought some of the newer (old series) that he could find and didn't have. Did I mention how wonderful my brother is?!!?

My husband would like to meet your brother. :)

Still don't have the green yet and I still haven't heard from the LYS yet. I'm taking my time finishing the last color block before the first occurrance of green. I'm about halfway through the 44 rows of gray. I was working on it the other night. We got Series 2 on DVD the other day (we got a deal at Deep Discount.com), and I worked on a few rows while watching it.

So that's the non-update on the scarf...

Lady Violet
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
someone over on the ravelry group found this berroco pattern (http://www.berroco.com/247.254/250/250_ace_set_pv.html) that looks exactly like the Wrist Warmers. it's for worsted weight yarn and the ultra alpaca they suggest has a couple colors that look right on. i should probably go eat now so i can finish up some stuff for my swappee. :knitting:

Yarnlady
12-07-2007, 08:56 AM
So, are any of you Torchwood fans, too? I so totally love Capt. Jack!

I'm currently watching the modern Season Two of Dr. Who on DVD now. And totally hooked. I really like Eccelston as The Doctor although I'm getting used to the new guy. Watched the Queen Victoria episode last night. Lots of fun.

annomalley
12-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Yarnlady, We TiVO Torchwood every week. Yep, that Capt. Jack is something else, isn't he? :) The DVD box set for series 1 comes out the day before my birthday.

Don't tell my DH, but I sort of have a bit of a crush on David Tennant. :teehee:

Abbily
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Don't tell my DH, but I sort of have a bit of a crush on David Tennant. :teehee:

Hee hee, I won't tell yours if you won't tell mine! :)

annomalley
12-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Hee hee, I won't tell yours if you won't tell mine! :)

I won't say a word. :)

By the way, the LYS called and MY GREEN YARN CAME IN!!!!!!:woohoo:

I'll be picking it up after work tomorrow. Yay!:woot:

Lady Violet
12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
finally! now you can start :knitting: again.

annomalley
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
finally! now you can start :knitting: again.

I'm going to try real hard to get a picture up this weekend. I've really made up for lost time over the past few days!

annomalley
12-23-2007, 03:10 PM
As promised, here's a picture of my progress...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2130849841_7b1aa01524.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/msannomalley/2130849841/)

knitknut
12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
That looks awesome!

annomalley
12-26-2007, 07:49 PM
That looks awesome!

Thank you! :)

Abbily
12-28-2007, 06:34 PM
That looks fabulous!

Abbily
12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
OK, I know I'm a huge geek, but I just had to share that I got a TARDIS and a sonic screw driver for christmas! :) The TARDIS is a 4-port USB hub, and it makes 'the sound' whenever I plug in a USB device. The sonic screwdriver has a UV ink nib that writes in 'invisible ink' on the 'psychic paper' and can only be revealed by shining the blue light of the sonic screwdriver on the psychic paper. Yes, I'm a huge dork, but those gifts are tied with my knitpicks harmony interchangeable needle set as my favorites this year! :)

annomalley
01-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I gave DH the Doctor/remote control K-9 set. He wasn't expecting it, so he was just thrilled when he got it. :) He wants the Flight Control TARDIS, but the pre-orders are sold out at Big Bad Toy Store.com.

Lady Violet
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
you just had to show me another place where i can spend what little money i earn, didn't you? :wink:
now if they could come up with some K-9 slippers, i might just have to break down. :figureditout: or how about some tom baker slippers! he could even have a miniture version of The Hat on his head! just imagine all that curly goodness. hey, then we could all knit scarves for our slippers. :roflhard:

annomalley
01-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Just checking in...

I'm about halfway done with the scarf. I switched needles to the Options, and now I'm really booking it on the progress. I hope to get some pictures taken of my progress this weekend.

Lady Violet
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
aren't the options great? i'm determined to get the rest of my Scarf skeins wound over the next few days. i've already done a couple. i'm looking forward to it for a couple reasons - 1) i love to wind, and 2) it's really going to consolidate the yarn. right now i've got it all in a really big tote, but the skeins are so big that it's literally bulging out the top. it will be nice to be able to actually zip the bag again. :teehee:

Lady Violet
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
i am pretty much ecstatic right now. meredee (http://www.ravelry.com/designers/meredee) on ravelry has charted out k-9 (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/k-9_large_pattern.jpg), the Seal of Rassilon (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/rassilon_pattern.jpg), and a Dalek (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/dalek_pattern.jpg). this is great. i've wanted to do a felted x-body bag with the Seal of Rassilon for months, but i knew that i would have to chart it out first - something i have never done before, which means that chances are i would never "get around to it." now i can actually make my bag and save the experimenting for something more, well, experimental. :yay:

i just had to share. enjoy! :knitting:

annomalley
02-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Just checking in to let you all know that IT'S FINISHED!!! :woohoo:

I'll post pictures, soon.

But here's a question for all of you who've done the scarf...

How did you use up all of your stash yarn? I'm looking for some ideas. I actually have quite a bit left.

annomalley
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
i am pretty much ecstatic right now. meredee (http://www.ravelry.com/designers/meredee) on ravelry has charted out k-9 (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/k-9_large_pattern.jpg), the Seal of Rassilon (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/rassilon_pattern.jpg), and a Dalek (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/meredee/tardis/dalek_pattern.jpg). this is great. i've wanted to do a felted x-body bag with the Seal of Rassilon for months, but i knew that i would have to chart it out first - something i have never done before, which means that chances are i would never "get around to it." now i can actually make my bag and save the experimenting for something more, well, experimental. :yay:

i just had to share. enjoy! :knitting:

I'll have to think of something to make from the K-9 chart for DH. Thanks for sharing!!!

mchalehm
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
okay--I'm new to this thread but it doesn't look like anyone has actually made the knitted Dalek! I am dying to make one but I'm not sure my knitting skills are up to it. I would probably opt out of the bobbles and use buttons instead.

Here's the one I was looking at, by the way: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html

Anyway, it is AWESOME that there's a KAL thread for Dr Who! I like Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor best--but I haven't been able to get my hands on much of the older stuff. I found some on YouTube but there's not a lot available. I'll let you know when I attempt the Dalek! (Maybe as a baby present--I'm having a babe in July who needs a cool toy! But then I would need to do the bobbles after all for safety.)

Abbily
02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, you'll have to let us know how your dalek comes out! Maybe you could just do a swatch and practice a couple of bobbles before starting the 'real thing'. I'm going to have to do a couple of those at some point. My daughters, when they're in arty moods, usually draw daleks and cybermen. :) They would LOVE to have daleks of their own!

Lady Violet
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Just checking in to let you all know that IT'S FINISHED!!! :woohoo:

I'll post pictures, soon.

But here's a question for all of you who've done the scarf...

How did you use up all of your stash yarn? I'm looking for some ideas. I actually have quite a bit left.

:woot:

i have to admit that i haven't worked on mine since last year. :hiding:
i think i'm waiting for the urge to hit me again.

i've heard people talk about making a matching hat. you could also do wristwarmers. or a matching scarf for your dog/ferret/car antenna/bedpost/etc...

Lady Violet
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Here's the one I was looking at, by the way: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html

wow. that PDF really is new and improved. the one i printed out was a whopping 13 pages. now it's only 5. :cheering:

annomalley
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Three weeks late, but here's a picture of my finished Season 12 scarf, as modeled by my DH:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2337385065_9abd64fd05.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/msannomalley/2337385065/)

Abbily
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Kathy, that looks fabulous! :)

Lady Violet
03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

oh, and

:thud:

seriously, that is a thing of pure beauty. and the fringe....*sigh*

Abbily
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Have ya'll seen these? http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jwgh/very-tall-socks

Lady Violet
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
:shock: :drool:

annomalley
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Have ya'll seen these? http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jwgh/very-tall-socks

You know, I had quite a bit of yarn left over from the scarf. I wonder if I have enough to do these?

Abbily
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Have ya'll seen the new episode yet? What do you think?

Lady Violet
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
i'm waiting for april 18. life has gotten really full lately, but i'll always have room for my Doctor! :wink:

Abbily
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
April 18th is the Christmas Special- have you seen that one yet? Kylie is so cool. :)

maniago
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Please tell............ how you saw the new episode.

Abbily
04-10-2008, 08:51 AM
This guy has it up on his Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/topherjaros

Lady Violet
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
it just makes sense to start each season with the christmas special because they're chronological. i definitely didn't like how they (scifi or bbc america - i can't remember which) started season 2 with the first regular episode and then showed the christmas special later in the season. it seemed disjointed. it all made so much more sense after seeing the christmas special.

Abbily
04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
That makes sense, I just wish they had shown the christmas special closer to when it was actually broadcast in the UK. :)

Lady Violet
04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
that would have been nice. i guess we're just the lucky saps who were born in the wrong country. :teehee:

figaro
05-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I am not participating in this KAL but I thought you all might want to check this out http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/05/08/bbc-removes-doctor-who-fans-knitting-patterns-from-the-web/

You might want to print out the patterns soon......

annomalley
05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm just curious, what do you all think of Donna as the new companion?

Lady Violet
05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
so far, i love her. she's such a nice switch from martha. no more fawning. she's more lively like rose, but she also has her own donna-ness. i think it works. :thumbsup:

Abbily
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I think she's pretty fabulous. She can hold her own with the Doctor, and doesn't take any crap from him. I got tired of Martha's puppy love thing, and I like her a lot better now that she's over it!

annomalley
05-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I can't argue with either of you on this one. I like her for the reasons you guys mentioned and I also like the fact that she's a bit older and she's got the build of a regular woman. It's nice to see someone on TV who looks like a real person.

Abbily
05-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Kathy, I didn't think about it that way, but that is so true!

Does anyone else suspect she's pregnant, though?

annomalley
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't heard anything about that.

On another subject, though, I've decided that I will use up all the extra scarf yarn I have by knitting either a pair of socks that have the stripes like the scarf or a necktie with the stripes like the scarf. I probably have enough yarn left over to knit another whole scarf, but I want to see what socks or a tie look like.

Abbily
07-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Kathy, what did you decide to do with your extra scarf yarn?

Is anyone else keeping up with the UK broadcasts? Have you seen "Stolen Earth" yet?

lizardknits
07-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Is anyone else keeping up with the UK broadcasts? Have you seen "Stolen Earth" yet?
nah
im keeping up with the way the US was sposed to show it (darn sci fi channel) , so I am eagerly ready to Turn Left in a few days
Lizardknits
I wish i lived in England so I was that much closer to David Tennant

Abbily
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
LOL I would love to be closer to David Tennant!
You might want to watch the episodes on YouTube after you watch them on SciFi- SciFi cuts a lot out. :(

Lady Violet
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
what happened to Sarah Jane? please, oh please, tell me they didn't cancel it. :pray:

Abbily
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Sarah Jane is fine, and there's a new series starting in December. :)

Abbily
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Warning, this link is a bit spoiler-y, but it has info on the upcoming Sarah Jane season. http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2008/06/sarah-jane-advenutres-casting-news.html

Lady Violet
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
so they already went through the whole first season, huh? wow. they just need to turn it into an hour long show so that when they show an hour at a time, we won't feel like something's missing halfway through the season of Doctor Who. i've gotten used to seeing them together. i guess that would mean coming up with twice as many story lines, but it's a sacrifice i'm willing to take. ;)

Lady Violet
07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Watching "Turn Left" awoke my creativity and now I have a bunch of ideas, not least of which is a beaded TARDIS bookmark. Now I just need to learn how to bead like that (good, of course) and I'll be golden. Yes, I must be crazy. :lol: It doesn't help that the coolest bead store around has these awesome sparkly seed beads half off. :drool: Now I can justify getting more. :teehee:

ritaw
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Everyone ,

Here is my attempt at a Dr Who doll based on the character played by David Tennant.
He is part Alan Dart Pirate and then i used ammendments from a lady on Ravelry to make him into Dr Who .

Thanks CherryRed:)

Mike the recipient loved him :)

Abbily
07-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Violet, I can't wait to see your beaded TARDIS! I'm going to make myself a TARDIS phone cozy one of these days.

Rita, that Doctor Who doll is FABULOUS! :)

Abbily
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Am I the only one who pre-ordered Season 4 on DVD as soon as I got the email this morning? :)

Lady Violet
08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
:woot: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :woot:
Did you hear me? That's literally the sound I just made. I had no idea it would be up for pre-order so soon!!!!! (Although I guess it makes sense - the Tuesday after the season finale of Robin Hood I was at Borders and they had the set for 20% off.) What email did you get? Are you on some secret TARDISmail list or something?

runs off to pre-order
:out:

ETA: I just found it and Oh My Goodness is it coming home to me. I think I made a sound somewhere between a laughing hyena and a goat when I saw the price. :teehee:

E(again)TA: I just found this (http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Eyeless/dp/1846075629/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1). The cover is enough to make me cry. Are they really writing new books with him alone? :pout: I think he needs a bunch of knitters as his companions. Can you imagine us in the TARDIS teaching the Doctor to knit? Or maybe he already knows how. He has been around a while. I actually now have this really great picture in my head of the Doctor and a bunch of knitters sitting in a circle by the controls with the pins clacking away comparing techniques. cloud9

Abbily
08-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Nah, I bought the third season from Amazon and I do a lot of searching on Amazon for Doctor Who and DT stuff, so I get emails from them when things come out.

Holy cow, I can't believe they're doing books with him alone! How sad! I hereby claim a spot in "Doctor Who and the Knitters"! :)

Lady Violet
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I bet he would be great at socks. :teehee:

You know, that sounds like a band. Doctor Who and the Knitters.
:knitting: :guyknitting: :knitting:

lizardknits
09-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Ladies, gentlemen and all variations therof (sorry, had to)
It has come to my attention that the title of the Christmas special has been released as well as info about the special.
It is called the Next Doctor.
WARNING- THE LINK BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=9648073

Lady Violet
09-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I am totally not clicking. I like my life to be spoiler-free. Really. Me and spoilers just aren't a good thing.
I just checked Amazon and it says that Series 4 won't be released until November 18th. Wasn't it October something before, or am I remembering wrong?

Abbily
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Have you guys heard the news? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ86n6ziHFA&feature=related

Lady Violet
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
sniff sniff

At least he said it in his natural accent. :teehee:
Of course, I wouldn't complain if he used his "fake" one, either, so it's all good - about the accent, I mean. Him leaving, not so much. :cry:

When CE left, I was sad, but it was okay. There wasn't all the hype surrounding everything Who. I was a little skeptical at first when DT started, but of course he quickly won me over. Simply brilliant. Now every little thing happening in the Whoniverse is plastered all over everywhere and you have to basically poke your eyes out and stop breathing to keep from being influenced by outside/popular opinion about anything. This is going to be tough because I like to just experience things as they happen (like a Doctor change) and form my own opinions. We'll see how this goes. It's going to be an interesting year.

Abbily
11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I try not to pay too much attention to the news about it, but that was inescapable. I was devastated when CE left (well, when I found out about it, which of course was way after it actually happened!) because I really liked him. I was very skeptical about DT, but ended up loving him too. So, whoever takes over will probably win me over too. :)

Lady Violet
11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
As long as it's not Jonathan Davies. Or anyone with seriously curly hair. Hey, I could jump the pond and take over! I've got the shoes and everything. We need someone to bring a little more, um, credibility to the us Americans :wink: after Perry anyway.

Lady Violet
11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Guess what shipped today....

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Abbily
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
GOT MINE TODAY! :)

Lady Violet
11-21-2008, 10:56 PM
MY VERY FIRST HOUSE CALL!!!!!
:woot: cloud9 :woot: cloud9 :woot:

When I finally got home from work, I retrieved it from the porch and walked gingerly around the house clutching the cold, cardboard box to my chest saying, "It's here, it's here," over and over. Think I have a problem?

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Abbily
11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
If you do have a problem, then so do I. ;)

Lady Violet
12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Yesterday I picked up the old school box set with "Keeper of Traken," "Logopolis," and "Castrovalva" for $25 at Borders. They're having that 30% off music and movies sale, but I got lucky. It was half off! If you don't have it yet, go get it now. It's a really good one! I had forgotten how funny it is. :teehee: