PDA

View Full Version : Our New Car

newamy
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Wanted to share the new vehicle we just got. This is called a GEM, it's an all electric car. This is the E4 model. We are doing our best not to produce emissions. My husband already bikes pretty much everywhere. I bike to some places. The kids can walk/bike or take the bus to school. But sometimes it's a bit far-especially with kids, or too much to carry on the bikes. So here is our solution. Our town happens to be the perfect size for this vehicle; it's eco-friendly and the actual distance to various stores or places we go in city limits is only 5-6 miles. So a trip across town and back is maybe 12 miles, 15-20 if we make multiple other stops. There are at least 6-8 cars like this in town already. I do need to drive for work so will be using the standard car for that and for any long distance trips. But ideally when I'm not working or we have to make a quick run in the evening this is what we we'll be driving. It goes up to 25 mph and has a 25 mile range before it needs recharging.
http://www.gemcar.com/ more info here. When purchasing it's actually custom built to what options are selected. So we've been waiting for this car for a couple months.

The kids are just totally excited about this and love it so far. The neighbors like it too. It's a very different driving expereince but in a good way. It makes no noise when stopped.

Thanks for looking.

mulene
08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
WOW Nice =D I was seriously considering an electric car when I got a new car recently. I ended up going for a Smart Car instead which is very low emissions. Eventually I will probably convert it to bio fuel :)

Sara
08-10-2007, 05:31 PM
That is absolutely cooool!:notworthy:

We'd love to have one! We're more likely to get a vehicle we can convert to cooking oil, though.

zip
08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Love it! My office is only five miles from home. I could use it on days that I was certain I didn't need to drive further to a client's office.

Does the charge last if you drive 5 miles and park it all day? Is there a huge tax credit as there was for the Prius last year?

newamy
08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Does the charge last if you drive 5 miles and park it all day? Is there a huge tax credit as there was for the Prius last year?

Once it is fully charge it is just fine to drive park for the day and return to it. It will still be charged. But for the first 20-30 charges it does not have full capacity, something about breaking in the batteries, but after that it is fine. It can only be driven on streets posted 35 mph or less (and in some states may not be legal at all but I do beleive they are being used in California.)

There is a tax credit, I don't think it's the same as the hybrid cars, and I don't know all the details. I beleive it's a bit tricky to find and one has to keep alert for it. I'm not sure how much it is. My husband might know but he's not here for me to ask.

zip
08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Here's the IRS page that lists eligible vehicles. (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html) All of them on the list appear to be hybrids. We had a client that reaped a $4k credit on his 06 return. Because the electric cars aren't generally primary vehicles, perhaps the credit will be computed differently. I don't know - I'm merely speculating. It'll be interesting to see what develops!

Either way, you did a good thing. :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
08-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Good for you, and I mean that. Every little bit helps.

Your hubby has the right idea, biking is the way to go. Electric cars are a good idea, now if the electric companies can figure out a way to eliminate their emissions we'll be good to go.

debinoz
08-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Our town just passed a law that required any street transportation had to have at least 12" tires. There were a lot of pocket rockets around and a few wrecks and near misses. I hardly ever leave town, so if this type car didn't violate the law it would be great!

newamy
08-12-2007, 09:27 AM
now if the electric companies can figure out a way to eliminate their emissions we'll be good to go.

In Oregon we have hydroelectric power- not so great for salmon, but no emmission...except they sell most of it to California and we buy power from another state made by coal! Crazy. We are seriously considering adding solar to our house... then this car will be charged by the sun.

iza
08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
This is so cool! :cheering: I've never seen these before. Do you know if these cars can used in winter? There's the snow of course (the tires seem small), but also would the battery last in -30 Celsius (-20 Fahrenheit) temperatures? :??

newamy
08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Do you know if these cars can used in winter? There's the snow of course (the tires seem small), but also would the battery last in -30 Celsius (-20 Fahrenheit) temperatures? :??

I would not recommend driving this car even in light snow. The tires are small- but one can order slightly bigger tires. But I don't think it would help that much. The operationg manual states "At 32 degrees F (0 celcius) your range may be reduced to 12-15 miles. This is a normal characteristic of electric vehicles." So I imagine colder would be problematic. We'll have to see what happens in our cold weather here. We don't get too much snow, but lots of rain and sometimes really cold stretches.

iza
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
I would not recommend driving this car even in light snow. The tires are small- but one can order slightly bigger tires. But I don't think it would help that much. The operationg manual states "At 32 degrees F (0 celcius) your range may be reduced to 12-15 miles. This is a normal characteristic of electric vehicles." So I imagine colder would be problematic.

Thanks Amy! Well I guess these cars could be used in Montreal only from April to October at best. Who knows, maybe with time they'll be able to make electric cars suitable for a real Canadian winter. :teehee:

I think it could still be worth it if you have a place to store it during the winter. We have hydroelectricity here too, at a very low price, while gas prices are insanely high. They don't seem to have a dealer in Canada though. :?? It seems like such a great idea to me! :thumbsup:

Kaydee
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Good for you! That's a really neat car. I'd love to have one, I use public transportation to get around Boston, but sometimes there are places that are hard to get to. This would be perfect!

AussieYank
08-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Very cool!! We'd all be better off if we weren't so dependent on oil. Have fun toodling around town!

newamy
08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and questions. We have been driving this car for a week and 1 day and we already have 95 miles on it. That's alot of just errands and short trips. We have given a few demo rides as well. I drove my son to the orthodontist in it and all the office staff was very curious and interested in it and I ended up driving the orthodontist around the block in it-he couldn't take a long ride, he had teeth to go straighten. Anyway it's been fun so far.