PDA

View Full Version : homemade gifts

hob
08-11-2007, 11:46 AM
my brothers birthday is coming up soon and im going to knit him something but other then that what else could i make him for his birthday?? i carnt bake him a cake as i cant bake or cook.

stirsmommy
08-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I had just been thinking about this sort of thing. We live quite a distance from family now and I have always made the gifts and often they have included meals they could freeze. Now some of my ideas are baked items but you know you could use a mix for them and it would still be made by you. If you knit him washcloths or something you could give him a manly soap. I have made booksock and bookmarks and give in it with a book. I think mainly I will be going with knitted items from me. Another fun gift is if you can get a picture of the two of you from when you were younger and frame it for him.

Mariblue
08-11-2007, 10:01 PM
If you want to go the baking route, without actually baking, then there are a lot of "Mix in a jar" recipes on the internet. I found this (http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/cookie-mixes.htm) with a quick search, and while I haven't tried any of the recipes, they look pretty good.
There's always the ipod/cellphone cozy you could knit up, if he has those. Or books, if he likes to read. Or a bag full of his favorite snacks might be a good idea. One Christmas, I got my husband a bunch of his favorite snacks, and he was delighted with it. All his, and he didn't have to share!

Susan P.
08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Or, even buy a plain un-iced cake and ice it yourself. :)

hob
08-12-2007, 03:02 PM
thanks i think i might try that. he dosent have a ipod or a moble phone..... ill give him a jar of cookie mix and ill try my hardest on bakeing something... there come in packes now where u just have to add water or something right? wish me luck.