PDA

View Full Version : Silver's Free Patterns

Silver
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Well it finally happened, I've ventured into the world of pattern writing. It started because I was inspired by Hello Yarn's Irish Hiking Scarf, but wanted to make it reversible. So that's what I did. I have written a pattern for it, and it is free! (Done so with Hello Yarn's permission.) Once I finished the scarf, I wanted a hat to go with it, so that pattern is up too.

I'll be working on more and more free patterns to offer as soon as possible. I have some ideas, but there are only so many hours in a day... and I need to do a new sock tutorial soon!

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these freebies! :heart:
Silver's Free Patterns (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns)

Mulderknitter
08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Those look gorgeous silver! great job!:yay:

marykz
08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
you are so clever!! thanks!

Jan in CA
08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
I love those patterns! :inlove: I am making a reversible scarf based on a pattern for a shawl that uses the k2p2 technique. It's very cool how it works! You did great!

PaperGirl
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I LOVE that hat!

Dude...when I finally get my hands on some mmmmm.....THAT hat and THAT scarf are earmarked for it!

Lisa Kay
08-13-2007, 03:54 PM
:cheering: Love the patterns! Thanks!

Silver
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I love those patterns! :inlove: I am making a reversible scarf based on a pattern for a shawl that uses the k2p2 technique. It's very cool how it works! You did great!
Thank you! Yeah I learned the technique while knitting The Great American Aran Afghan, and out of the billions of cables in that thing, this was the one I loved the most. I mean, come on, REVERSIBLE cables? LOVE! :heart:

momwolf
08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
ok ok I finally ordered some Malabrigo,so now I can see what all the fuss is about. :teehee: Silver your hat will be the first thing I make with it .THANKS for sharing

kbagel
08-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I was going to make an Irish Hiking Scarf but now I'm going to make you scarf instead!

stirsmommy
08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Ok Tonight is about frogging the IHS. I want it reversible. How cool is that?? YOu rock!!!!!!

redheadrachel
08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
So what exactly are the copyright laws on those? Can I make them and sell them? ... :roflhard:

Hey Silver! As usual, you're doing some amazing work!! Thanks for the beautiful free patterns :happydance:

auburnchick
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Silver,

You're truly awesome! Thanks for all you do to make knitting so much fun!

Silver
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I was going to make an Irish Hiking Scarf but now I'm going to make you scarf instead!

Ok Tonight is about frogging the IHS. I want it reversible. How cool is that?? YOu rock!!!!!!

Wow, I'm flattered!! I want everyone to know that this scarf was inspired by the IHS, but I wanted it reversible, so that's what I did. Then I got some inquiries about how I did it, so I asked for Adrian's (@ Hello Yarn) permission before publishing mine. She only asked that I name it something different. I just figured that others might like to make a reversible scarf too... and apparently I was right. I just hope she doesn't feel like I'm stealing her thunder. Totally not my intention.

So what exactly are the copyright laws on those? Can I make them and sell them? ...
Actually, you can. Here's the copyright info...
All content and photos are Kristin Bellehumeur. All rights reserved. You may print this pattern for personal, non profit use, as long as it is printed from www.cometosilver.com. And yes, you may sell your knitted, super cool reversible cable scarf! But it's better as a gift. ;)
I'm not one to agree with that "you can't sell your knitted work" rule. Maybe I would feel different if some big company started making and selling them... but right now, I'm a young and naive pattern writer. :???: :teehee:

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
:muah:Silver, that is awesome!!!!!!!!! I just finished my 2nd IHS and now I KNOW there's a 3rd in my future!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I placed a link on my blog (right under your sock link). Is it OK to share with the IHS KA blog (http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/)?

Silver
08-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I placed a link on my blog (right under your sock link). Is it OK to share with the IHS KA blog (http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/)?
Yep! Fine by me... thanks!

Arielluria
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Silver,

Thought you'd like to know, there's a typo on the Palindrome:

says "marvel at it's reversiblness"

P.S.: I'm MARVELING!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get HOW it makes it reversible, but I'll have to put it OTN to see! ;)

Silver
08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Silver,

Thought you'd like to know, there's a typo on the Palindrome:

says "marvel at it's reversiblness"

P.S.: I'm MARVELING!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get HOW it makes it reversible, but I'll have to put it OTN to see! ;)
Yeah, it was supposed to be a little kooky tounge-in-cheek mispell, but you're the third person who's pointed that out. So apparently I'm not as funny as I am in my own head. :teehee:

I'll change it to "reversibility". But it's booooring. :thumbsup:

redheadrachel
08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Hey, yeah, I actually figured that you'd let us sell them. I'm so excited about that, and I was kinda making a joke. lol :shrug:
In any case, you rock!

hob
08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
there soooo nice. thanks for makeing this.

feministmama
08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
So that's what you did with that sale SWS yarn!!!:cheering:

Spikey
08-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Now I know why I've never finished my IHS. Been OTN for ages.

Getting frogged to be redone right! Love the reversiblness! :woohoo::cheering::yay:

You are the best! (note sig, too)

momwolf
08-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Sliver I can't get the hat pattern to come up :wall: every time I click on it the scarf comes up:noway:

NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT :doh::doh::doh: CLICK ON PIC NOT WORDS

Silver
08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey, yeah, I actually figured that you'd let us sell them. I'm so excited about that, and I was kinda making a joke. lol :shrug:
In any case, you rock!
Oh sorry, sometimes i'm a little dense. lol

So that's what you did with that sale SWS yarn!!!:cheering:
Yes indeedy!! :)

Sliver I can't get the hat pattern to come up :wall: every time I click on it the scarf comes up:noway:

NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT :doh::doh::doh: CLICK ON PIC NOT WORDS
It wasn't your fault, it was mine. I fixed it. :)

JennyLeah
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
:notworthy: Wow, those are brilliant!

I've wanted to make the Irish Hiking Scarf for a while now, but was turned off by it having a wrong side (thus is the woe of many beautiful scarves), but this I've GOT to try! And that hat! *swoon*

Now, to find the yarn...

Arielluria
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I loved the yarn too. I guess this is a stupid question, but how did the colors change so uniformly?????? I'm not familiar with the yarn, it's a Paton's right?

Silver
08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I loved the yarn too. I guess this is a stupid question, but how did the colors change so uniformly?????? I'm not familiar with the yarn, it's a Paton's right?
It's not a stupid question. The colors change like that in the skein, all on their own. When it was time to add on another skein, I pulled out yarn until I got to the same spot the last skein ended with and started there so the color changes stayed in sequence.

REVS
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
:cheering: :yay: :cheering: :yay: :cheering:
Silver, you rock!
I just finished my first pair of socks with your tutorial (am planning MANY more) and I just ordered my first mmmmmMalabrigo to make an IHS - but the reversiblness of the Palindrome trumps that. I love it!
You're rocking my knitting world! Thank you! :muah:

Arielluria
08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
I see, so you have lots of ends to weave in at the end?????

It's not a stupid question. The colors change like that in the skein, all on their own. When it was time to add on another skein, I pulled out yarn until I got to the same spot the last skein ended with and started there so the color changes stayed in sequence.

Silver
08-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I see, so you have lots of ends to weave in at the end?????
Nope. I use the felted join method. NO tails to weave in! :thumbsup:

Arielluria
08-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I have never heard of the "felted join method". Can you explain?????
:whoosh:

redheadrachel
08-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I have never heard of the "felted join method". Can you explain?????
:whoosh:
It's a way of joining feltable yarns like wool by felting them together so you can't really see the join. At my LYS, they call it the "Spit and Rub" method of joining. Amy's video is here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php)! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I love felted joins! You can only use that method on feltable yarns though, Lu.

jberry16
08-15-2007, 02:24 PM
thank you so much, now I know what I'm going to do with my skein of mmmmmmmmmmmalibrigo, palindrome the reversible cable scarf. You're awesome! btw I love your sock tutorials.

Silver
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
True, it's also known as the "spit & rub" method, but I do not use spit. I think it's kinda icky. I use a little spray bottle of water. :thumbsup:

jeanius80
08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
so pretty! do you think two skeins of mmmmm (peachtree) would be enough for the hat and scarf? should i make the hat first then start the scarf...? such pretty patterns! i a excited to start it so i can figure out it's reversiblness.. 'how it do that???':rofl:

silvia castillo
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I love them, especially the hat. Thanks a lot!

PaperGirl
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
This is what Im using my newly ordered mmmmmalabrigo for.

PaperGirl
08-15-2007, 09:05 PM
so pretty! do you think two skeins of mmmmm (peachtree) would be enough for the hat and scarf? should i make the hat first then start the scarf...? such pretty patterns! i a excited to start it so i can figure out it's reversiblness.. 'how it do that???':rofl:

I think it might be a stretch...2 skiens of mmm, from my measurements, is approx. 432 yds...

Both Palindromes would require approx. 585 just going by the patterns.

Hmmm.

sugarfunpouch
08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Oooohhhh, very nice!

Chrissie
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
beautiful! I actually just bought some Patons SWS in some of the new colors to make a hat with a fold up brim....and here the perfect pattern just falls into my lap.

Sanibelle
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Silver -

I bought some beautiful yarn yesterday to make the scarf and hat. It is a new yarn that my LYS is carrying - Linie Candia. It is a little heavier than the SWS but it is so soft and the colors are great - it is also self striping. I usually make scarves or something for some of my friends at work for holiday gifts - so I think that I will use your pattern this year. THANKS SO MUCH!

Rhea
08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm making a bunch of Palindromes for christmas gifts. My mom is getting a pinkish one, my dad a manly grey one, and my brother a black one. I love how easy it is and it's amazing how cables appear on both sides. Magic!!

figaro
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Silver,

I am making this scarf and it is my first cable. I am just having some confusion with this part (and it is me more than likely)

"Row 5: (RS) *K2, P2, C8F* Repeat to last 4 sts, K2, P2

***KEY*** VERY IMPORTANT for reversible cables!
C8F: Slip 4 sts to a cable needle and hold to front, K2, P2, then K2, P2 from the cable needle."

I am on the last repeat of row 5, at the end it says to repeat to the last 4 stitches then K2, P2 and I am to C8F according to your directions. I have followed your directions, I currently have 4 stitches on the cable needle and there are 4 for the K2P2 part of the cable and that is it. There are no stitches left for a edge? Am I doing this right? I just checked and I did cast on 40 stitches to be sure.

Silver
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
"Row 5: (RS) *K2, P2, C8F* Repeat to last 4 sts, K2, P2

Repeat what's in the *s until there are 4 stitches left (there will be 3 repeats, and 4 stitches left). When you get to those last four stitches, you should knit 2, purl 2, and that's all.

HTH! :)

stitchwitch
08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Holy Moly how did I miss this thread?!!!
Those are wonderful, thanks a bunch!!!:woohoo:

JamOKnit
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Thank you thank you thank you! I was wondering what I was going to do with those single skeins of Mmmmmmalabrigo and now I know! I love the scarf! It is beautiful!

p.s. a friend of mine demonstrated the "Spit n Rub" method for me last night....she's a long-time knitter and still manages to gross herself out every time. LOL :)

PaperGirl
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I did the spit and rub one time, and DH looked at me like..."WTH are you SPITTING on your knitting for?"

He was like...totally amazed when he saw what happened. :roflhard:

flyingfingers
08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi Silver, I just started working on your Palindrome scarf, and I really love it. This is just what I was looking for because I wanted to make my dad a scarf and hat set for Christmas, this is the most perfect pattern I have come across for him. I am definately making the hat also.
I am using the new Bernat Cashmere yarn and it is so soft and lovely. I love the colourways in the SWS but knowing my dad, he would find it too itchy with so much wool content.
Once again, thank you so much for the free pattern, and I am sure most of us will post pics of our finished objects :woohoo:

Arielluria
08-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Silver.........RE the felting method of yarn, I watched 2 videos on KH. Is there a preference between the 2?:

#1: Felted Join - Single Color (javascript:;)

#2: Felted Join - Two Colors (javascript:;)

Silver
08-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I just do the single color felted join. No science involved. :)

sidnee
08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I love this forum. I learn so many things from it. Felting joins is so cool because I hate weaving in ends. Thank you for this tip.

suziehomemaker
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I'd really like to knit up this scarf and I have a ton of Wool-Ease sport weight yarn in my stash. Do you think it would work well with this pattern?

I'm not that good at the whole yarn substitution thing . . .

Thanks again!

suzeeq
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
It would be great. You'd need to use the correct size needles for that yarn, probably between 6 and 8.

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks! The yarn has it's gauge stuff in US 5 so that's in the same ballpark. I'll just knit up a pattern repeat or two and make sure it's not too small.

Thanks again!

suzeeq
08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I'd go with a 6 personally; going up 1 needle size shouldn't make it too loose.

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Sounds good to me!

Silver
08-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks! The yarn has it's gauge stuff in US 5 so that's in the same ballpark. I'll just knit up a pattern repeat or two and make sure it's not too small.
If it's too small, just add 12 stitches to add another cable repeat. Or 24 sts for 2 more cables! :thumbsup:

remclave
09-01-2007, 09:14 AM
:tap:You are going to get me into a LOT of trouble young lady!

:muah:I LOVE it!!! There is no doubt that your are a phenomenally multi-talented individual:yay: Thank you for giving

Silver
09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
:tap:You are going to get me into a LOT of trouble young lady!

:muah:I LOVE it!!! There is no doubt that your are a phenomenally multi-talented individual:yay: Thank you for giving
Awww thank you so much! :hug:

Shandeh
09-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I marvel at your SUPER-GENIUS-ness.
:inlove:

That's the most beautiful scarf and hat set I've ever seen.
:thumbsup:

Carla1019
09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I am making the IHS for my DH,, but I think I will make this one for me with my MMM and plus the hat.. T hanks Silver.:woot:

Arielluria
09-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I've been thinking of making it in chunky yarn. Has anyone ever seen it done that way?

Lady Violet
09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I've been thinking of making it in chunky yarn. Has anyone ever seen it done that way?

i bet that would work really well. just don't forget to swatch! you may even want to just do two cables, depending on how wide it swatches.

Mazie
09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I did it in chunky and it came out at 5" instead of 4.5" so it's not a biggie.........
just the coolest scarf, no?

suziehomemaker
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
just the coolest scarf, no?

Absolutely!