PDA

View Full Version : Scarves!

hob
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
why should u join my knit along? well because scarves are fun quick grate stash busters good gifts for Christmas(yes i know that a very long time away but best get ready) there are lots of kinds out there so all levels of knitters can join in, you could easy make your own pattern.... and lots more reasons I'm sure. id love to see what everyone comes up with.join me you kn u want to.

cinnamon_girl
08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm in hob! Scarfs are actually one of my first knitting loves, for all the reasons you mentioned. :woot:
And my DD, who does such nice things for me, just asked me this weekend, if I would knit a scarf for her new Grandmother-in-law (is there such a thing? you know, her new hubby's grandmother). So how could I say no.
Apparently Grandmom greatly admired a scarf DD was wearing I had made so she would like to give her one for Christmas. I offered to teach DD to knit but so far she hasn't taken me up on it:shrug:

It will be a cable pattern, maybe the same one I made before but we need to shop for yarn so it may take me a few days to get moving on it but I'll join. I'd love to see scarfs everyone is working on too.

rachejm
08-14-2007, 05:31 AM
:woot:
I'm in too, I'm currently working on two scarves with another one planned as soon as I finish one of the others. I like scarves. I wear them in the lecture halls at Uni - its cold in there!!!

Krystal
08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I am in! I have always wanted to be part of a KAL! :woohoo:

I am currently working on the Irish Hiking Scarf. I cast on this weekend, and only get to work on it after 11pm. From 8-11 I have to make sure I am working on the baby blanket I am making, coz it needs to be done by the baby shower Sept 2nd.

I have so many scarves I want to make this fall tho, now that I can do lace and cable and I want to learn all the variations in between.

cinnamon_girl
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I love cables too and just made my first lace scarf this summer Krystal. One of the next ones I wnat to do is the Irish Hiking Scarf or maybe the one Silver just posted that is based on it, but reversible.

I'm excited to get going, just have to decide what scarf first. To complicate matters I just bought a single skein of Malabrigo and am looking for a pattern that will work with the yardage in just 1 skein (215yds.) I know, I know, 1 skein!:shrug: What was I thinking?? Any ideas. I think cables typically require more yarn so I may have to do something else.

Anyway, here's a pic of my Branching Out scarf, my forst lace project.
My photography is not the most cretive but I really enjoyed this scarf.

ajp2181
08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I am going to do this. I need the inspiration to knit a scarf that I promised my friend. I am making a simple one of the chicago bears colors.

Krystal
08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Well I made a little graphic for the KAL if anyone wants to use it. I was all excited to finally be part of a KAL I just had to have a graphic for my sig. ha.

http://www.foolish-wings.net/lj/scarf.gif

Here are some progress pics of my Irish Hiking Scarf. I am using Knit Picks Shine Sport. I will most likely make this scarf again in a more cable friendly yarn. This yarn doesn't hide them, but it also doesn't showcase them very well.

http://www.foolish-wings.net/lj/cables.jpg

http://www.foolish-wings.net/lj/cable2.jpg

angel4ever
08-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm currently knitting a scarf using my yummy malabrigo. I borrowed this pattern from another poster. It's called the Rainy Day scarf. It's soooo pretty. I'll try to post pictures of my progress later this afternoon. I've knitted about 3 1/2inches of it already and it's coming out pretty nice. The pattern sort of has a "mini cable" look which is making the scarf that much prettier...:)

Lieke
08-15-2007, 02:54 AM
I'm in as well. At the moment I'm knitting a garter stitch scarf with novelty yarn. You'd think that's easy, but my lack of swatching made me frog the thing twice, which is NOT easy with this yarn. I'm going to cast on again today and show you soon.

EileenInWI
08-15-2007, 09:56 AM
I'll give it a try! I'm a totally new knitter, this will be my first project other than practice swatches. :knitting:

cftwo
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Hmm. Is it possible to do 1 project for 2 KALs? I'm doing a Cleveland Browns scarf (or will be, as soon as I finish my nephew's sweater) and I'm also doing 2 knit scarves for my grandmothers for Christmas.

hob
08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
oh im so glad to see you all in this KAL im half way done i need to ad a trim as well i think ill try and put photos up soon. i lost my cam tho.. will defentay get pics u by sat. oh krystal thank you so much for the graphic your cables look realy nice what yarn are u useing?

Krystal
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I am using knit picks shine sport in "river". I have about 6 skeins on hand, I purchased for a summer top. I had finished about half the top, decided I didn't like it, and wanted a scarf instead. lol.

Angel4Ever; I looove that pattern. I can't wait till I get some yarn that is perfect for it. I am still waiting to find it.

angel4ever
08-15-2007, 07:41 PM
How do I add the scarf KAL pic to my sig? I already have one pic in my sig & it keeps telling me that I can only use one pic. Any help would be appreciated :)

cinnamon_girl
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Me too!! I'd love to add the scarf KAL but I can't add it. What's the trick?? :shrug:
Thanks Krystal for making it! And love your scarf. That yarn is really pretty in that pattern.

And I think I'm going to do the rainy day scarf as well with my Paris nights Malabrigo!! Maybe we borrowed it from the same poster angel4ever.

cftwo, I don't see why you can't. What's the other KAL? I noticed ajp2181 is doing one in the chicago bears colors.

EileenInWI, unlike the Yarn Harlot, I think a scarf is the perfect first project. Have you picked a pattern and yarn yet?

Lieke, looking forward to your pics. If it's anything like your socks it'll be beautiful.

And thanks again hob for starting this. Such a simple idea but so many scarfs to share. It should be fun.

Krystal
08-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I didn't upload the picture I just used the code... (you can hotlink from my website if you want I have a TOOOOON of space I don't use, but it will be gone Oct 1st.)

Copy the code below.

[*URL="http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=934647#post934647"]
[*IMG]http://www.foolish-wings.net/lj/scarf.gif[*/IMG][*/URL]

Paste this into your sig. Then remove all the red stars.
Then click save and it should be there.

:thumbsup:

sugarfunpouch
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
cinnamon_girl, love the yarn color.

angel4ever
08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Okay, here is my progress on my rainy day scarf...

robynbird
08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm in! I started Silver's Palindrome scarf using malabrigo yarn I was gifted. It's awesome!!! I've never used malabrigo before and it is like buttah!

Lieke
08-16-2007, 02:46 AM
They all look great. My scarf is already more than half done, but it'll be a small one. It only consists of 100 grams of yarn and it's knitted with 8 mm needles, so that goes really quick.

SkyBluePink
08-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Ohhhh, I'm in! I am working on the Rainy Day scarf using Malabrigo in Oceanos colorway. I will post pics as soon as I get my camera back.

I love knitting scarves!! :yay::yay:

lissie
08-16-2007, 03:31 AM
I love cables too and just made my first lace scarf this summer Krystal. One of the next ones I wnat to do is the Irish Hiking Scarf or maybe the one Silver just posted that is based on it, but reversible.

I'm excited to get going, just have to decide what scarf first. To complicate matters I just bought a single skein of Malabrigo and am looking for a pattern that will work with the yardage in just 1 skein (215yds.) I know, I know, 1 skein!:shrug: What was I thinking?? Any ideas. I think cables typically require more yarn so I may have to do something else.

I love your branching out scarf. What yarn did you use?

cftwo
08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Cinnamon Girl - the other KAL with sports stuff is the Super Fan Knitting (approximate name). I started casting on the scarf yesterday, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the pattern I chose (wide stripes, knit wide and sewn in half).

cinnamon_girl
08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey everone!

Lieke, I checked out your blog!! :woohoo: So interesting to read about your adventures, knitting and non-knitting and take a look at all your wonderful knitting projects. Thanks for sharing with those of us who are non-bilingual.

angel4ever, your rainy day scarf looks awesome. I'm inspired and casting mine on today:cheering:

robynbird I look forward to seeing your scarf!! I love that pattern and would like to make it this fall (for me!!). I just need to get my hands on some more Malabrigo first.

skybluepink I look forward to seeing your Oceanos too!! You're suggestion of the rainy day scarf was just what I was looking for so thanks again.:woot:

lissie thank you!! I used Elsebeth Lavold silky wool, a single hank of periwinkle. It's very light and airy.

cftwo that sounds very sporty looking. Is it stockinet or ribbing. I did a scarf last winter for my future daughter-in-law to give to her brother for Christmas. He's a big Steelers fan so I did wide stripes of bright yellow and black. It was a ribbed pattern in a chunky yarn. I wasn't crazy about it but apparently he was and it was warm. I also got a lot of funny looks on the train when I was working on it... I live in Eagles country.

Well happy knitting everyone, back to work for me. Lunch is over.

Lieke
08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks cinnamon girl. I hope it's a bit understandable. It's harder to translate from dutch to english than to write just in english (don't know how that comes, it's very weird).

About the KAL. My scarf is finished!

I'll post pics tomorrow. it's to dark now. (I tried to make a photo from my little doggy wearing the scarf, but I don't have good light, so I'll try again tomorrow)

Lieke
08-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Here are the promised photo's. The yarn I uses is sirdar fizz.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/sjaaltje2.jpg

My little doggy wearing the scarf:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/sjaal1.jpg

hob
08-17-2007, 05:13 AM
ooh i like ur scarf and yor dogs soo cute i found my cam ill defently post my pics up tonight. (hopefully ill be finished by then)

misha rf
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm in. I'm working on one now, with another one planned as soon as this one's finished.

Love the doggie with the scarf!! Too cute!!

rachejm
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Lieke I love your scarf, great colours!

hob
08-17-2007, 05:58 PM
i finished my scarf! its not very nice tho...oh well next time ill know to put a border on it. the blue one is for my brothers birthday (tomorow) and the purple is the 1st scarf i ever knited (about a month ago maybe 2)
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/hob029/ i might knit another one now :happydance:

cinnamon_girl
08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Ooh!! Some finished scarfs!! :happydance:

hob, very nice work!! I bet your brother will really like his scarf and your first one looks great!! The best part is you learn something new with each new project. :cheering:

What a fun scarf Lieke, I like the colors and your model is so cute!!!

I started my rainy day scarf yesterday and ended up frogging it after 2 pattern repeats just before I went to bed. I decided to use 10.5 (US) needles rather than the 9 the pattern called for. I like it just a little less dense. I hope it doesn't hurt me on the yardage but we'll see. I've got 15" done with the larger needles so maybe I'll post a pic later tonight.

Here's a pic of the yarn wound into a ball before I started knitting (just cause I like to post and look after pictures. Hope you do too!)

hob
08-17-2007, 08:32 PM
thats nice yarn and thanks for being so nice about my lame scarfs.

angel4ever
08-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I frogged my rainy day scarf as well :pout:. I love the pattern, but the purple mystery is not really showing off the pattern as it is intended. I decided to do a ripple pattern for my scarf instead. I'll post pictures soon. :balloons:

cinnamon_girl
08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
My Malabrigo is a darker color (paris night) too angel4ever. Maybe that's why the pattern doesn't show up as well. I really pictured it in a nice big poofy cable but I should have ordered 2 skeins. oh well, I'm going to keep knitting and see how it goes.
Here'a pic

angel4ever
08-19-2007, 01:51 PM
^^

Your scarf looks great! I like it :)

Okay here are pictures of a ripple scarf that I am working on. I think this pattern is better suited for this color of malabrigo than the rainy day scarf (I will definitely try that pattern again when I have a different color. Perhaps I'll use it with my orchid malabrigo...)

cinnamon_girl
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Very nice pattern choice for your Malabrigo angel4ever!! That looks beautiful!!

angel4ever
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
^^

LauraD
08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Is it too late for me to join?

cinnamon_girl
08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't see why not LauraD! :cheering:
Welcome to our little group? Are you working on a scarf now?

SkyBluePink
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Here are pics of my WIP Rainy Day Scarf in mmmmMalabrigo (Oceanos colorway). I've cross-posted in Whatcha' Knittin' to update my post there. The second photo is a true representative of the color.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KateNPC/S6300110.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KateNPC/S6300107.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KateNPC/S6300106.jpg

SkyBluePink
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
My Malabrigo is a darker color (paris night) too angel4ever. Maybe that's why the pattern doesn't show up as well. I really pictured it in a nice big poofy cable but I should have ordered 2 skeins. oh well, I'm going to keep knitting and see how it goes.
Here'a pic

I think it's beautiful!! :cheering: Good job, CG.

cinnamon_girl
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
SkyBluePink, That looks so pretty!!! :yay:
I love the colorway!
It looks almost like my Mmmmalabrigo, lol..... :woohoo:
We should start a new thread... My Malabrigo to share WIP and FO what with all the Mmmmm talk on the board these last couple of weeks. I know one thing it was my first Mmmmm but it won't be my last. The yarn is so nice to work with.

I'm moving right along and really enjoying the pattern, I might have a finished scarf to post a pic of soon.

lissie
08-21-2007, 05:49 AM
I've been stalking this KAL and love all the pictures I've seen so far. :cheering: I'll like to jump in on the KAL too as I recently started on Knitty's Branching Out. Love the pattern! :woot:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1101/1190069105_ba54ac2d35_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lispics/1190069105/)

Blog post about my project (http://lis-craft.blogspot.com/2007/08/branching-out-scarf.html).

lizardknits
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
can I join? I have two scarves that I have started right now.

they are really unique

hob
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
how about this... any one join when every they want? lol i see lots of blue. very nice scarves everyone!! well done. i knowi have done my 1(2) but i think im gonna do another one now .....maybe blue lol

Rhea
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm in. Im making a bunch of different scarves for christmas =]

rachejm
08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I finished a lovely, fluffy, orange/red one at the weekend, my first finished project ever!!! But, the camera needs new batteries so I can't take a picture!!! I have also started two harry potter themed scarves for the HP KAL and decided to have a go at the Irish Hiking scarf so I could try cables. Today I found some super chunky wool on sale so I bought it and started a scarf with that to see how long it would take - no particular pattern, just doing what I feel like. I really need to stop starting new projects and actually finish some!!! I'll have to do lots of knitting :knitting: for the next few weeks to try to get some of my scarves done - best make the most of the free time before I have to go back to Uni.

Everyone's scarves look great, I love the purples and blues, those are two of my favourite colours!

LauraD
08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Is it too late for me to join?

hob
08-21-2007, 08:33 PM
its never to late we still go time its never to late ever!!

lizardknits
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM

ok....im in :woot::woohoo::happydance:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cinnamon_girl
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Lovely scarf lissie!!!:yay: That color is beautiful and I love the heavier weight yarn in the Branching Out pattern. It looks great!!!

cftwo
08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Since I last posted I changed my mind on my scarf pattern, and now have 3 scarves otn. (No pictures yet of any of them, though.)

#1 - Christmas present for a Cleveland Browns fan, basketweave pattern (4x4 blocks) in wide (24 row) brown and orange stripes. I have 10 stripes done and will probably need 15-17 stripes to get it the right length. It's knitting up quickly and it looks pretty nice, too.

#2 - Christmas present for my grandma (not sure which one). The Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts in a vareigated purples and greens laceweight merino from Crystal Palace (I think). I did this scarf in Rowan Kidsilk for the summer swap and perferred working with the kidsilk, but I'm far enough along with this pattern that I WILL finish it.

#3 started last night Fiesta Yarn's La Boheme ($30 for a 165 yard hank, but I couldn't resist) in a colorway called Carribean. This one I'm doing every row k2tog yo, and it's turning out pretty nicely. I'm keeping this one in my nightstand drawer for those insomnia moments. I'm not sure who is going to get this scarf.

hob
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
nice 3 scarf maybe u need one tho? or do u have lots all ready?

cinnamon_girl
08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
cftwo, wow.. 3 scarfs in progress!! :cheering: Sounds like you made a good choice for your football fan. I like the basketweave pattern. And the other 2 sound really lovely, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of those. The yarns sound yummy!! And I agree with hob, maybe #3 should be for you!!

I finished my Mmmmmalabrigo Rainy Day scarf today. How appropriate. It's been gray and rainy in Philly for the past 4 days!! But I guess, I shouldn't complain. No hurricanes or flooding here.
Anyway, here it is...it's one skein of the colorway paris night, all gray and black and purply.
So now gotta get some yarn for my next scarf. It's going to be a cable pattern. Hopefully, I can get it bought and cast on this weekend. :happydance:

hob
08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
:woot::woot:i love the way ur scarf has come out nice colours and look nice and warm.well done my brithdays is coming up in september and guess what! my nice brother (the one who i made the scarf for) is making me one aww so sweet ill post it up when i get it.(23rd)

ADAllen
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Ohh I love the purples! that is beautiful.

misha rf
08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm drooling over all the Mmmmmmmalabrigo loveliness!! Y'all's scarves are so pretty!

Here are a couple that I recently finished (one earlier this month; the other a couple of days ago). They're both done in farrow rib. One is in Catalina Chunky Baby Alpaca; the other in Plymouth Encore Chunky. The Catalina one is slightly thinner.

I'm trying to decide what from my stash to knit up next!

cinnamon_girl
08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
What beautiful scarfs misha rf !!:cheering::cheering:
I love the farrow rib pattern, it's a favorite of mine.
It makes such a nice, warm, classically beautiful scarf.

misha rf
08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you, cinnamon_girl!

cftwo
08-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I finished the Cleveland Browns scarf, and I'm makeing progress on the others. Photo:

:woohoo:

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL589/3927808/13502296/274223303.jpg

hob
08-25-2007, 05:07 PM
oh wow that looks so nice.

cinnamon_girl
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
cftwo,
I love your Cleveland Browns scarf!! Those colors look great together in that pattern. There's going to be some very envious football fans when that scarf makes it's appearance!!:yay:
And the other two are absolutely beautiful!! Beautiful match of pattern and yarn. I like that K2 tog, yo pattern.
How many stitches did you cast on for that?
I have another ball of the Elsebeth Lavold silky wool left so I wonder how that would look in that pattern. I may have to try it!!
Lovely work!!

cftwo
08-26-2007, 08:38 AM
cinnamon_girl - I cast on 22 for that k2 tog, yo pattern. It's a bit wider than I thought it would be (maybe 7" wide), but any even number of stitches would work. (Leave 1 plain k1 on each end, to hold it all together.)

Lieke
08-27-2007, 03:13 AM
I've been a bit busy, so I had a bit of reading catch up to do.

hob, your scarves look great! I really like the brightcolored one.

cinnamon_girl, I really like your scarf, especially the color. Is there a pattern in it, because I can't see it right now, but I've got the sun on my screen. Your finished scarf looks great! I think I can make out a bit of pattern from that pic. (should check back tonight when the sun is gone :wink:)

angel4ever, I really love the pattern you're using. Looks great!

skybluepink, your scarf looks great as well. (althoug I still can't make out the rainy day pattern :oops:)

Lissie, your branching out looks great! I'm going to knit that one day. (I want to do to much)

misha rf, I love your scarves. I hate knitting in rib. To make a whole scarf in it would never work for me, but it looks really great.

cftwo, your scarves all look great. I like the right one best.

I'm currently not planning on making a new scarf, just to much on the needles. but maybe in a few months, so I think I'll just keep lurking here.

SkyBluePink
08-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi, Lieke. For some reason, I cannot photograph this scarf well enough for the pattern to show up. But when I compare it to the photo at yarn demon (http://yarndemon.googlepages.com/rainydayscarf), it looks exactly the same, so I know I am on the right track.

When I look at CG's scarf, I can't see the pattern either. (although the colors are beautiful!). This makes me wonder how yarn demon lady photographed hers so well that it shows the pattern. :shrug:

Lieke
08-27-2007, 05:29 AM
well, I'm glad it's the photo, not my screen :wink:. I really like the colors you used and I'm sure the pattern will show a lot better than on the pics. I think it has to do with the light. From what I can see in the pic of yarn demon is that she as a brigt light coming from the left, which makes the pattern show better. Maybe something you can try...

SkyBluePink
08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
...but wanted to post this here as well since I am knitting a scarf. I'm still working on the Rainy Day Scarf, but I suffer from knitting ADD and can't just work on one project at a time.

This is Palindrome (Silver's reversible cabled scarf.)

Let me say that I love knitting this scarf! This is my first attempt at cables and I never imagined they would be this easy. Makes me want to kick myself for waiting so long to try them! :wall:

I'm knitting this scarf with mmmmMalabrigo (Damask Rose colorway). It is so very yummy. I think I will be keeping this for myself for two reasons.

1. It's Malabrigo! Non-knitters do not appreciate this yarn.

2. I'm moving to Maine where it is COLD. I need warm scarves. :yay:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KateNPC/S6300137.jpg

Lieke
08-28-2007, 02:46 AM
that looks really great! I really want to make that one, but I don't know when...

hob
08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
my brother finished the scarf he made 4 me ill get pics up soon!

LauraD
08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Here's mine!

It's pinks, yellows and oranges:-) It is a divided box pattern. Really simple pattern to memorize...still a beginner.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_VPrmd6RkBoU/RtQ7HAkhNSI/AAAAAAAAAAk/a_cJXtoxPqI/s320/Scarf2.jpg

SkyBluePink
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Fantastic job!

Lieke
08-29-2007, 04:48 AM
That looks great!

cftwo
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Laura - that's a really pretty scarf!

hob
08-29-2007, 08:04 PM
the scarf my brother knit for me can be found hear...http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/hob029/DSCF0990.jpg didnt he do soo well. nice yummy yarn as well.
larura thats such a nice scarf.

cinnamon_girl
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Everyone:waving:
It's been a busy week but I've been trying to check in on our KAL now and then.
Always so exciting to see some finished scarfs here!! :yay:

SkyBluePink, I love your damask rose Mmmmmalabrigo Palindrome!! It is so pretty and really nice work for your first cable project. Isn't fun how they look harder than they are? That scarf is a keeper. I'm a native New Englander, (not Maine but Mass) and it gets cold up there in the winter so you'll definitely appreciate it. And who else but you deserves it more? :wink:

LauraD, what a pretty, pretty scarf!! I love those colors together and that pattern too! Very nice work, you should be proud of yourself. :cheering:

hob, your brother's scarf is super! Great colors! Lucky you to have a brother who is so talented. :cheering:

I was finally able to get my aran cable scarf cast on and started. I also like to have more than one project going. Not to mention the pressure and motivation of KAL's!!

Sadly, I frogged it a little while ago. The yarn was Vanna's Choice from Lion that I got at AC Moore. I was going for washable and trying to keep the price down since my DD bought the yarn and asked me to knit it as a favor for her new husband's grandmother. But I was disappointed in it. Could be the Mmmmalabrigo spoiled me but it wasn't as soft on the neck as we would have liked. So we'll have to go back to the store for something else.
Anyway here's the first couple of pattern repeats.
Hopefully I'll have something figured out by the end of the weekend.

hob
09-01-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks ill tell him you said so hes brain damaged but hes doing quite well with knitting he said he likes to make scarfs hes all ready on his 2nd one ill show u that one when hes done. and i just found a pattern id love to do for my next one yay:cheering: that scarf looked sooo nice im so sorry that it didnt work out.

lizardknits
09-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi all,
I just finnished a scarf last night (at like 2 am). :knitting:Its a basketweave scarf I did in Lion Brand Wool Ease in Pastel Yellow ( so I had fun calling it a little yellow basket :teehee: ). I am going to surprise my friend with it, since she loves yellow and she loves the basketweave pattern.

I am going to be starting one soon in purple fun fur and a lavender (of unknown brand), a commision from my sister.:happydance::happydance:

knit.newbie
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM

I'm in I'm in I'm in!!!:woot::woot:

I have a scarf that just seems to get longer and longer and i just don't want to bind off!! :teehee:

mainly cause I'm waiting till I go bk to Canada to buy me pretty yarn and pretty needles (still a newbie..so no stash)..

and I keep thinking if I finish off this scarf I'll have nothing to knit!! so I end up randomly frogging a bit cause of an imaginary flaw..hehehe

anyways...it's a ribbed scarf..turned out skinnier than I thought it would've been..but I didn't know better when I CO for it.. and since it's skinny I'm making it super long so I can get it around my neck twice (Canada is cold!) and still have a good length left so it looks pretty!

pics soon!!:woohoo:

rachejm
09-04-2007, 06:12 AM
I have just started a blog and finally managed to get a picture of a scarf I finished a few weeks ago, the pic is on my blog, the blog link is below if anyone wants to see it.

hob
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
i like ur scarf. and .... what yarn are u useing for your harry potter one? the colour is lush! knit.newbie i like skinny scarfs come on lets see a pic. oh its thay one in rib u posted a wile back? its a nice .

rachejm
09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
the hp scarf is in some acrylic that I found in Hobbycraft, Palette yarn. Its DK rather than worsted cos I couldn't find any worsted in the right colours in Hobbycraft that day so I just adapted the pattern a bit.

sinistral_needler
09-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Count me in to this KAL! I just got done doing a short Palindrome reversible scarf. My original Irish Hiking Scarf will be waiting in the wings whilst I start on these patterns:

Celtic Cable Scarf (probably for me brother)
Achernar scarf (probably for me SIL)
Rainy Day Scarf (to be gifted - TBD)

I have some work to do!!! :passedout:

knitting4-2girls
09-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I would like to join in too. I just decided to do scarves for Christmas so...I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I just started doing the Palindrome (Silver's Pattern) today. Don't know who is going to get it yet, but I really wanted to do something with cables.

sinistral_needler
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
the palindrome scarf turns out really nice, I just got done with a one-skein-scarf in that pattern but I did 2 cables instead of three. Turned out real nice.

cinnamon_girl
09-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi there:waving:
I really want to cast on for Silver's Palindrome next.

Nice scarves rachejm!! Enjoyed your blog.

My scarf is coming along slowly but surely. I switch off between it and my 2 pair of socks currently in progress.
I'm liking the new yarn, much softer and the pink is a very pretty pale, pale pink called Peony. I'm not really a pink kind of girl but this is a gift and I think the recipient will like it. It tends to shed though, I guess that's the alpaca??
Anyway, here's my aran cable scarf in progress.

rachejm
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM
cinammon_girl I love your scarf, I'm not usually a pink sort of person but its a really nice colour too.
I've tried doing cables but its not going so well, whenever i change from knit to purl with knit stitch gets too loose so I tried purlig tighter but now I think it may be too tight, knitting it tighter didn't do much either. I think I'm gonna leave it and take it to see my nan, hopefully she'll be able to figure it out.

cftwo
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I've made some changes to both scarves I had in progress before. I frogged back the Fiesta yarns one to make it narrower, since it didn't seem like it would be long enough for anyone if I didn't. It's looking pretty nice, though one of my kitties LOVES that yarn. I have abandoned the laceweight merino Airy Scarf completely because it was just too scratchy. I haven't decided if I'll re-knit it with a softer laceweight yarn, or if I'll do something entirely different. I still need to find gifts for my grandparents, and I thought my grandmas might like scarves. We'll see.

knitting4-2girls
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Rachejm- I have the same problem with the stitches being too loose between the knit and purl areas, but when I am finished the result still looks good. I'm starting to think it may just be the way that the stitches are. I did a basketweave baby blanket and had the same issues, but in the end the blanket was beautiful.

rachejm
09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I won't frog my Irish Hiking Scarf yet then, I figure I'll just keep going with it and by the end perhaps the problem will have sorted itself out, a certain amount of it is probably just cos I need to practice.

ArtLady1981
09-15-2007, 03:21 AM

Believe it or not...I just cast on and knit the first 7 rows of this Branching Out scarf! Using Stash Yarn left over from my OPAL cardigan. Seems like I always overbuy. My LYS would take it back if it hasn't been years...but I never get around to it!

I love your scarf! It looks like you may have used Silky Wool? Well, whatever it is...it is wonderful!!! :thumbsup:

For your 1 sk. Malabrigo yarn...why not alternate rows? Use Malabrigo for the IHS Rows 1,2,5,6 and Yarn B for rows 3,4,7,8. yarn B should be the same gauge. Or, Yarn B can be two dk yarns held together. How interesting would that be???!!!

I had to alternate skeins like this between 2 skeins of Malabrigo because of their shade differences.

cinnamon_girl
09-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi ArtLady1981 :waving:

Thanks, I did use silky wool for the Branching Out. I bought a couple of hanks of Elsebeth Lavold silky wool in periwinkle to use for another project but I ended up not using it. When I realized the silky wool was one of the recommended yarns for the scarf it seemed the perfect opportunity for me to try my first lace pattern.

I look forward to seeing your finished scarf! I'm sure it'll be lovely. Do you have a pic posted of the finished OPAL cardigan? I really enjoyed the pattern. It was a fairly quick knit.

And thanks for the interesting way to incorporate one skein of Malabrigo into the Irish Hiking scarf. I would have never thought to do that but it sounds like it could be really beautiful and unique with the right yarn B! I ended up knitting that single skein of Malabrigo into a scarf using the Rainy Day Scarf pattern. The finished scarf made a nice tuck in your jacket size but next time I buy Malabrigo I'll be sure to plan my purchase better.

ArtLady1981
09-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi ArtLady1981 :waving:

Thanks, I did use silky wool for the Branching Out. I bought a couple of hanks of Elsebeth Lavold silky wool in periwinkle to use for another project but I ended up not using it. When I realized the silky wool was one of the recommended yarns for the scarf it seemed the perfect opportunity for me to try my first lace pattern.

I look forward to seeing your finished scarf! I'm sure it'll be lovely. Do you have a pic posted of the finished OPAL cardigan? I really enjoyed the pattern. It was a fairly quick knit.

And thanks for the interesting way to incorporate one skein of Malabrigo into the Irish Hiking scarf. I would have never thought to do that but it sounds like it could be really beautiful and unique with the right yarn B! I ended up knitting that single skein of Malabrigo into a scarf using the Rainy Day Scarf pattern. The finished scarf made a nice tuck in your jacket size but next time I buy Malabrigo I'll be sure to plan my purchase better.

Hi Cinnamon! :waving: Yes, here is the link for OPAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60983) I just love her! That's why I want a beautiful scarf for her! Her pattern is just a plain little check, but with lacy leafy collar and cuffs. The yarn is yummy soft, being part merino/ part cashmere/ part microfibre. The pattern is an Elsebeth Lavold design.

angel4ever
09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
My scarf is 3/4 done. Hopefully I will have it finished before the end of the month.

feministmama
09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm making a read scarf for the red scarf project

http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/red_scarf_project_2007/

http://www.orphan.org/index.php?id=40

feministmama
09-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah here's a picture of my progress

Indygirl
09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi, Lieke. For some reason, I cannot photograph this scarf well enough for the pattern to show up. But when I compare it to the photo at yarn demon (http://yarndemon.googlepages.com/rainydayscarf), it looks exactly the same, so I know I am on the right track.

When I look at CG's scarf, I can't see the pattern either. (although the colors are beautiful!). This makes me wonder how yarn demon lady photographed hers so well that it shows the pattern. :shrug: I was just lurking in here. I want to say I love your scarf. I like the pattern & also the yarn. Also I have the same problem with my picture's not showing the pattern very well. I sent Sheldon a message to see if we can do anything about it. I am now working on Silver's reversible cable scarf. I have it in another KAL. Have fun.

Indygirl
09-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Just thought I'd join in on this KAL too.This scarf is the reversible cable pattern of Silver's. I am using Mmmmm in the color emerald blue.

Krystal
09-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow!! You guys have been busy. Everything looks great! :muah:

I have recently celebrated my 1 yr Knit Birthday, so I decided to treat myself and knit some really beautiful scarves for the upcoming weather.

I am knitting Liesel (http://yummyyarn.indus3ous.com/patterns/MJG_Liesel.pdf) (PDF! link seems to not work well right now, hope it's just the server.. but here is a pic of the scarf (http://jennyk.co.uk/knitting/Liesel_end.jpg) ...not mine.) with Bernat Soy in a pretty blue colour called Tidal.

It's knitting up gorgeous, and very soft. But now I need to get some blocking tools for when I finish. :)

I plan to knit it in 2 halves and then graft the middle together since the bind off edge isn't as nice as the cast on edge. I will use 2 balls for each half... so it could be a good 8 foot scarf! haha.

I also decided I am not liking the Irish Hiking scarf with the KP Shine Sport. They say it shows cables well, but I disagree. So I am going to use that to make the Falling Water Lace Scarf (http://www.mtholyoke.edu/%7Ebsennott/Falling%20Water%20Pattern.pdf).

I also ordered some Noro Silk Garden Lite to make the Argosy scarf (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html). I will be making the rainbow version, in the same colours. I can't wait for it to arrive.
:passedout:

rachejm
09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Beautiful work everyone. I love the emerald blue Mmmmm, gorgeous colour. Those patterns are really nice Krystal, and happy knitting birthday!

hob
09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
just thought id let u know i have casted on a new scarf for my friends xmass gift and something to do on the bus, so its nice and simple but the yarn is yummy so it works.

jberry16
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I'd like to join, gotta do a black scarf for Mom for Christmas, and I'm only 6" in on it. Using microspun from lion brand-yarn is soooooo soft, but splits like you wouldn't believe! grrr. Anyway I'm doing th efeather and fan pattern on it (3 repeats) and I'll post a pic, hopefully tomorrow after I have a chance to knit on it some more. I hate black yarn b/c it's so hard to knit with-can't see it. So I have to sit next to the window or outside to knit-socks at night, scarf during the day. those are the 2 Christmas projects I have left and so far the socks are winning progress wise b/c I can knit on them in the dark-ok by lamp light.
Thanks for letting me join-all y'alls scarfs look so pretty. nice jobs!

rachejm
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
hey
hows the scarves going? I finished the second chart on my dark mark scarf, pics are up on my blog. My gryffindor scarf is on my knee as we speak and is now 14 stripes and 15 rounds long. Not much more to do!!! No new pics of that though as I am not at home and so can't pinch my dad's digital camera.

lizardknits
10-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I finnished a fun fur scarf.
I have a red scarf Im doing for a Red hat Ladies Exchange in December that my mom is going to be going to.

madametj
10-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes! I need to get my Irish Hiking Scarf off the needles! it seems like i've been picking it up and blowing it off forever. thanks for this kal!

madametj
10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I didn't upload the picture I just used the code... (you can hotlink from my website if you want I have a TOOOOON of space I don't use, but it will be gone Oct 1st.)

Copy the code below.

[*URL="http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=934647#post934647"]
[*IMG]http://www.foolish-wings.net/lj/scarf.gif[*/IMG][*/URL]

Paste this into your sig. Then remove all the red stars.
Then click save and it should be there.

:thumbsup:

ack! it didn't work! what i am i doing wrong?:pout:

mks22300
10-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I think I'll join up too. I've got a scarf I'm making as a Christmast gift (which is fair isle on the ends) 3/4 of the way done, another one in quque (which will be a cable one) and if I have time, possibly another one as a Christmas gift. Good thing I'm knitting much faster these days! :teehee:

hob
10-21-2007, 12:38 AM
i am ashamed to say that my scarf is only 10inch done ok i have bean very busy but still its bean a month i think i picked a boring pattern frog it?

Crafty Gardener
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I just completed 3 scarves (pictures on my blog) .. so I'm hoping that qualifies me to join the scarf kal. I just joined KnittingHelp.com today. I'm going to be working on another scarf very soon. I would love to add your image on my blog ... is that okay?

mks22300
10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I haven't touched my fair isle scarf in a couple days, but I did start a lace scarf today 'cause I don't have the yarn yet for the cable scarf I'm planning. This is the first lace project I've done. It's a pretty simple pattern and I'm please with how fast it's working up.

madametj
10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I just completed 3 scarves (pictures on my blog) .. so I'm hoping that qualifies me to join the scarf kal. I just joined KnittingHelp.com today. I'm going to be working on another scarf very soon. I would love to add your image on my blog ... is that okay?

welcome to KH crafty!:waving::hug:

AngMac
10-21-2007, 07:16 PM
I just joined KH a couple of days ago and am finally making my way through the posts.

I am working on a scarf and thought it would be fun to join in on the KAL. I am using an yarn from LYS that is called Shalimar. It is 100% merino. The pattern I am using is called Faux Modular and its in Knitty's Winter 2006 issue.

So, far its is turning out really great. I can't wait to finish it.

jberry16
10-22-2007, 11:01 AM
welcome!

hob
10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
welcome all new ppl new to KH or just new to scarves KAL .

AngMac
10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
So I have been very happily knitting my scarf until today. The scarf is turning out skinner than I wanted by about and 1.5 on the width. Ugh! I used the recommended weighted yarn and decided to do the smallest needle the yarn recommended. It is just not turning out how I wanted. So, I have decided to rip it out completely and start from scratch. This is so frustrating. Its an easy pattern but time consuming. I am definitely going to take a day break from restarting it. But, please send good vibes my way that when I restart it that this time it turns out.

madametj
10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
So I have been very happily knitting my scarf until today. The scarf is turning out skinner than I wanted by about and 1.5 on the width. Ugh! I used the recommended weighted yarn and decided to do the smallest needle the yarn recommended. It is just not turning out how I wanted. So, I have decided to rip it out completely and start from scratch. This is so frustrating. Its an easy pattern but time consuming. I am definitely going to take a day break from restarting it. But, please send good vibes my way that when I restart it that this time it turns out.

make sure you count your stitches every couple of rows. you may have accidentally dropped some stitches without noticing

AngMac
10-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks. The way the pattern is written it made it sort of made you count your stitches every couple of rows. So I knew that I was doing it correctly. I think what I am going to do when I restart it is to up the needle size one size up and hopefully that will give me the width I am hoping for.

lostchyld
10-25-2007, 03:24 PM
My turn to join. I've got a couple of scarves going to give to my sisters for Christmas. The first is the Rainy Day pattern in the Malabrigo Curacao colorway.

I haven't decided on the second scarf, but I was looking at this (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html) pattern. I'd also be using Malabrigo this one would be in the Melilla colorway. Other suggestions would be appreciated. I only have the one skein, though, so nothing too yarn intensive, please.

Sorry about the blurriness of the scarf photo. I really can't be bothered to find better lighting for a wip pic. FO's will be better displayed, I promise.

rachejm
10-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Very nice, I love the colours! Welcome to the KAL lostchyld.

mks22300
10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I finished my fair isle scarf last night, just have to weave the ends in...ugh!!! I'm so pleased with how it came out and will try to take a pic of it soon. I got the yarn for my cable scarf, bernat softee chunky and was very surprised to find it at Wally World! I'll get started on that probably after I finish the hat to go with the fair isle scarf.

BAMBOO
10-27-2007, 05:04 PM
WHAT'S THE PATTERN FOR THIS SCARF? THE COLOR LOOKS GREAT!
I WOULD LOVE TO KNIT ALONG IF YOU CAN PROVIDE ME THE PATTERN. I'M WORKING ON CHRISTMAS PRESENTS.
THANKS.
tIFFANY

mommie*3
10-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I just joined today but I happen to be starting a scarf for my DH :muah: tonite. It's just a plain navy blue scarf. I'm using "Caron Simply soft quick". It feels wonderful but looks like it might frizz up with to much handling. Anyone have any expirence with this particular yarn? So far I have only worked with fancy fur or cha cha yarn types. They hide mistakes so well that I hate to go back to "regular yarn". I can't wait to see how this turns out.

madametj
10-28-2007, 02:50 PM
My turn to join. I've got a couple of scarves going to give to my sisters for Christmas. The first is the Rainy Day pattern in the Malabrigo Curacao colorway.

I haven't decided on the second scarf, but I was looking at this (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html) pattern. I'd also be using Malabrigo this one would be in the Melilla colorway. Other suggestions would be appreciated. I only have the one skein, though, so nothing too yarn intensive, please.

Sorry about the blurriness of the scarf photo. I really can't be bothered to find better lighting for a wip pic. FO's will be better displayed, I promise.
hi there lostchyld:waving:. i luv the colors of your malabrigo, but here's a little tip: usually cabled patterns are made in a solid color so that the cables show up better. very bright colored varigated yarns are usually made in simpler patterns.

happy knitting! :knitting:

cinnamon_girl
10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi Everyone!
It's been a while since I've had something to contribute to this KAL..but I've been checking in and enjoying everyone's progress. Beautiful Malabrigo lostchyld... I love the colors and your Rainy Day looks great!! :cheering:
My pink aran cable scarf sort of got put on the back burner, I've been distracted by a couple of other projects :teehee:
But I guess I'll have to get going on it soon. In the meantime I bought some beautiful Reynolds Odyssey (100% merino) that I just love, greens and blues, some golden brown, but very subtle color changes. Last night I cast on for the Falling Water Lace scarf (for me!!) and I'm really enjoying the pattern. I'd like to get it done fairly quickly so I can wear it!! It's getting cold here in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, happy :knitting: :knitting:

rachejm
10-31-2007, 06:26 AM
i love your scarf cinnamon_girl, its a really nice pattern.

cftwo
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Hello,

I just joined today but I happen to be starting a scarf for my DH :muah: tonite. It's just a plain navy blue scarf. I'm using "Caron Simply soft quick". It feels wonderful but looks like it might frizz up with to much handling. Anyone have any expirence with this particular yarn? So far I have only worked with fancy fur or cha cha yarn types. They hide mistakes so well that I hate to go back to "regular yarn". I can't wait to see how this turns out.

My mom claims that Caron Simply Soft stretches when you wash it and has some really stretched out sweaters and shawls that she's made from it. You might wash a swatch and just check on that.

knitstersue
11-01-2007, 07:58 AM

Where did you get the pattern for your Branching Out scarf...?? It is very interesting and I am interested in doing lace right now..

cinnamon_girl
11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
The Branching Out is a free pattern on Knitty and I had heard it was a good first lace project.
Her's the link to the issue

http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html

Have fun!

hob
11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
i love that scarf realy nice greens.

mommie*3
11-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Thanks, I have since froged that project and started another scarf using those speed stix. Size 35. I think I will use the simply soft quick with another yarn. Maybe I'll make one of those quick throws on the lion brand site.

Crafty Gardener
11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Here is my latest scarf project (http://craftygardenerca.blogspot.com/2007/11/scarf.html) ... it is a nice easy pattern to follow and can be done while watching tv.

angel4ever
11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I finally finished my ripple scarf. YAY!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I will be posting pictures later after the batteries in my camera finish charging.

angel4ever
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
For some reason I could not add pictures to my previous post.

So here they are in a new post :)

Matdredalia
11-06-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm a newbie knitter and decided to make a scarf as a first project, since it seemed like a semi-simple project. As soon as I picked up the needles, DH 1 & 2 started pestering me to make them each one. So, I've got three to knit! Yikes!

So, count me in for awhile!

knitknut
11-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Love the feather & fan scarf !!! :heart: :heart: Looks so soft and snuggly.

Here is one I started last week as a Christmas present for my nephew. Pattern - http://www.magknits.com/Dec06/patterns/counterpoint.htm

lostchyld
11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
OMG, that's wonderful. I love it.

angel4ever
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Love the feather & fan scarf !!! :heart: :heart: Looks so soft and snuggly.

Thanks!!! It actually is softer (and warmer lol) than I expected it to be. I love the way it feels around my neck.
I'll be making a hat to match using the same pattern :)

cinnamon_girl
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Finally!! A finished scarf!! I've been in a dry spell lately for FO's so this feels good!

Beautiful ripple scarf angel4ever!! It's Malabrigo isn't it? So warm and soft!! So pretty!

Love your scarf KnitKnit!! That's a really neat pattern!! I'm sure your nephew will really like it.

I took a look at your scarf too, Crafty Gardener!! Very nice. I love a good rib pattern! Looks warm and toasty.

Keep the scarfs and pictures coming!! It's cold out here!!

Sunny_Singer
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I am onto the last few inches of my 10 foot long scarf, an Xmas gift for my son in law. The last skein is now a ball, for it kept tangling on itself as sometimes happens when you reach the end of a skein. The ball is tiny, and I am to the point in this project that I just want to be able to say - I finished it!

lostchyld
12-26-2007, 01:02 PM
I finished both scarves this weekend. Cut it kind of close, but both were done in time for the gift exchange, although I didn't have time to wrap them. I knit every spare moment during the weekend and impressed the grandparents. I love non-knitters appreciate crafts. They're always so impressed that you can knit.

I still need to take pictures, but those'll be up asap. I may swear off scarf knitting forever, though. Wow, those were long, although it may have been the pattern following and the deadline. I stopped halfway through one scarf and knit a pair of gloves, not one glove of a pair, both gloves. Nearly stopped a second time to do more gloves and almost started a pair of socks, just to avoid the scarves. I think I've figured out my favorite types of projects...