PDA

View Full Version : Errata?

McKnitty
08-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I read somewhere (perhaps this site?) that you should always check for errata before starting a pattern. Do you do this?

I'm not experienced enough to know if a pattern is wrong, so I guess I should check for corrections, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

If the pattern is in a book, do you check with the publisher? Same with magazines? I've seen posts that suggest contacting the designer, but how do you find the designer's contact information?

Also, how long do you have to check for corrections? I mean, if a book or magazine is older, will the corrections still be available?

I value my knitting time and want to be as productive as possible, so I would like to hear what you do.

Jan in CA
08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Sometimes the book writer will have a website that you can check. Most magazines have websites with that info, too.

What pattern and book are you referring to?

astonh
08-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I actually have a question to add to the initial one... As a new knitter how do I know that there IS an error in a pattern?

Mulderknitter
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
me too!!!! I have no idea how to tell if there is an error. I always assume that it's me when it gets all wonky.:shrug:

Jan in CA
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I actually have a question to add to the initial one... As a new knitter how do I know that there IS an error in a pattern?

me too!!!! I have no idea how to tell if there is an error. I always assume that it's me when it gets all wonky.

Sadly, I think most people only find them when they are doing the knitting and it's not coming out right. Unless you can read the pattern line by line and visualize it it's pretty hard to do beforehand. And of course sometimes we think there has got to be an error in the pattern and it is just us.. :shifty:

:teehee:

cookworm
08-17-2007, 11:38 AM
me too!!!! I have no idea how to tell if there is an error. I always assume that it's me when it gets all wonky.:shrug:

This is my first assumption, too. But I have found errors in patterns, albeit only twice so far. I know the error is in the pattern when I have frogged and frogged and frogged and reworked it, and when I analyze the pattern and it still isn't coming out right, and it seems like something was omitted in the pattern, or if things just aren't lining up right after redoing them a million times.

I myself am definitely not experienced enough to preread through a pattern and know if there's an error or not; unfortunately for me, I'll have to be right in the middle of it to know, so there would be no way to prevent me from falling into the mistake. Ingrid on this forum has something like "trust the pattern" as part of her signature, and I think that generally, that should be our first recourse. Sometimes as new knitters (of which I am myself, only knitting for three years), new techniques or certain instructions just don't make sense to us and we get panicky, so it is a good rule of thumb to trust the pattern and try to work out what it says, and ask questions along the way if we need to. But yes, sometimes, it is the pattern. Depending on what you're working on (say it's a lace repeat), you might be able to see right away that a pattern isn't right while reading the pattern and the lace repeat is missing a decrease or increase that doesn't line up with what you've already done, so you know then that it's a mistake in the pattern and not you.

astonh
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Jan in CA noted, "And of course sometimes we think there has got to be an error in the pattern and it is just us.. "

WHAT??? ME??? Make a knitting mistake? :noway:You have GOT to be crazy. My knitting is always perfect so if something is whanky, it MUST be the pattern. :whistle:NOT!!!!! :roflhard: I'm a froggin' QUEEN :frog:(due to my OWN mistakes)!

I'm far from being able to "see" a pattern by reading instructions.

I do thank you guys however for insight on this. And, I'll always come and hit the forum when I have questions about a pattern and/or to see others' questions/answers about the pattern.

dreamsherl
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
If I'm knitting from a magazine or a book, I always check for corrections before starting. That's just me.

knitasha
08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
The book publisher or yarn company which published the pattern usually has an online corrections page. If you have trouble finding it, try Googling the publisher's name plus the word corrections. You'll come up with something like this:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/corrections.asp
or
http://www.berroco.com/227/227_corrections.html

There's only one thing harder than writing clear, correct patterns, and that's proofreading them. If you don't have the experience to spot a mistake by reading the pattern, then yes, it's a good idea to take a few minutes to check for errata before you start knitting. Think of it in the same terms as making a gauge swatch: spending a little time now to avoid a lot of time and trouble later.

McKnitty
08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm having some computer problems right now and I can't 'quote' or give a 'thanks' but I can reply. Go figure!

Anyway, thank you all for your replies, and you have been very helpful.

Jan - I don't have a specific pattern or book in mind right now, I mainly want to know for future reference. I don't have much of a yarn stash, but I do have a nice knitting book collection. And I recently placed an order with KP for several more books. I'm a slow knitter so it could be YEARS before I get to some of the patterns I want to try.

Thanks again everyone! And happy error-free knitting to all!