PDA

View Full Version : Little 'big man' sweater....

cam90066
08-18-2007, 01:55 AM
For my 18-mo-old nephew. (My gauge puts it between 2-3 yrs sizs so hopefully it'll fit.)

Based on DROPS/garnstudio pattern (pic below).

Yarn is from recycled thrift store sweater (cashmere soft cotton). (Frogged, skeined, washed, wound.) It was so thin (pic) I had to use three balls of multiple threads to get something akin to worsted weight. Needless to say, working both fronts at once meant six simultaneous balls. Lucked out with virtually no tangles.

Added an inch to sleeves being his dad, my bro, is 6'5" and has super long arms. I opted to make lower edge ribbing hang straight rather than pulling in...and did traditional pockets. I also chose to place the buttons/buttonholes like 'big guy' sweaters.

cam

redheadrachel
08-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Oh my goodness, it's so adorable!! Great job, it looks amazing :thumbsup:

ritaw
08-18-2007, 02:52 AM
That looks lovely , Excellent work.
I love it .
:cheering:

Rita

nonny2t
08-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Very, very cute indeed!

Jaxhil
08-18-2007, 08:58 AM
that looks great!!!:cheering:

Slim
08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
It's adorable! And I'm so impressed with the way you recycled the yarn! That must have been a 3-ring circus working with 6 balls of yarn! I would have no hair left at all. Great job -- it looks amazing. He's going to look so cute in it!

cam90066
08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Slim, thanks! I just recently started recycling and it's been a huge learning experience working with machined sweaters. Didn't realize how thin the fibers are and that they frog to threads (no twists/plies). One downside of all those 'threads' is that they look quite good worked up but they're more vulnerable to snags and that concerns me with item for toddler. I may have to recommend to my bro and s-i-l that this be handled with a bit more care.

My nephew is a redhead and is quite often dressed in blue so thought this color would blend right in with the rest of his wardrobe.

cam

Jan in CA
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
That is such a handsome sweater! I love it!:inlove:

ah
08-18-2007, 02:34 PM
That is unbelievably cute!

sue in canada
08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
So cute. You did a great job. You must have a lot of patience.

mari_13
08-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Looks great! I have to make this for my little one! I know you're nephew will be nice and cozy!

Dangles
08-19-2007, 04:24 AM
That's a handsome a sweater.

cam90066
08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks, sue. Looking back, a lot of effort went into this given the recycling, etc. Ultimately, there's little actual monetary expense but lots of time invested.

cam

cam90066
08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
mari, it was a fairly easy pattern altho I made a few changes here and there. One feature I liked was carrying extra yarn in the 2nd/3rd sts of the front edge which added bulk, definition. I'm so used to making adult-size cardis this made for relatively fast work being the pieces were so small.

Hope you enjoy making your version.

cam

cam90066
08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks, dangles. Yes....'handsome' is very apropos. The look I was hoping for.

cam

momwolf
08-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I need to make one of those for my grandson!!!!!!!!Yours is beautiful:cheering:

Sharlykestoknit
08-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Impressive!

Ellen Edwards
08-20-2007, 01:17 AM
It's cute as a bug! I love it that you recycled, and found such nice yarn.

I have tried several times to unravel a sweater, but always have had no success--I've looked at a coupla websites even, but still--can't seem to do it! WIsh I could find better directions.

cam90066
08-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Thanks Ellen!

If I can be of any assistance doing the recycling thing, feel free to toss questions or problems my way. Happy to help.

I'd read online info and had a notion as to what to do but it took me a couple tries to get the hang of it and then I got obsessed (to where I've now filled three plastic storage containers). I actually enjoy the recycling process more than doing something with the wound cakes.

cam

astonh
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Too precious! Yet another case for recycled yarn. I bet that yarn never dreamed of being something so cute! WTG! and extra mega koodos for creating, in essence, your own yarn by using so many at the same time to achieve your desired effect. THAT WAS SKILL!

CONGRATS on a wonderful perfect little sweater for the "big guy"!

cam90066
08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks, astonh! The orig sweater was a woman's pullover in 2XX with some cabling so that netted me a decent amt except for it being thread-like weight. I had rough calc as to yardage from when I skeined it so thought by combining I'd have just enough. Turned out I only used just over half of what I had so another small project is in the future.

The one downside to recycling is that one rarely gets a garment that'll give you enough for anything of size (like a long cardi). I prefer single color, simple designs. However, I have the most amazingly soft cotton yarn from three identical men's GAP pullovers (one charcoal, one berry and one med gray) so trying to decide how to combine those into something.

cam

MerigoldinWA
08-20-2007, 04:37 PM
What a nice sweater. :cheering: It sounds like the recycling was a lot of work, but definitely paid off. Did you have to create the three strands of yarn you worked with? I guess I mean how many of those little tiny stands were used in the original garment? Your sweater will look perfect on a little red haired boy.

cam90066
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks Merigold!

In the pic of the 'strands' with the penny (for scale) each of those represents what the thrift sweater was worked up with. (I've attached pic to show orig sweater detail.) Oddly, in some places there were three 'threads'...in others two. By combining the three 'strands' to get somewhat of a worsted weight, the final number of threads could range from a minimum of 6 (3x2@) to maybe 8 (2x3@+2). As thin as they are, you'd not think that bit of diff would be noticeable but I could detect it but it was minimal.

cam

Weebie
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
That is soooo cute!!!! Looks great!

dewdrops
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
WOW!! What an awesome sweater!!I :heart: it.
The color is wonderful!!Neatly done.
Great job!!:cheering:

cam90066
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks, dewdrops. I mailed it couple days ago (parcel...it'll take a while) so anxious to see what the recips think.

cam