PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor rant

JessicaR
08-18-2007, 03:49 PM
AAAHHHHH I could just scream!!! :grrr: This was just the icing on the cake for this crappy *** weekend. I'm sorry, I'm not usually like this...

Ok, we got a new dog 2 months ago and yes, he barks a bit. I'll tie them out in the yard when I'm doing something outside, I never just leave them out there. Well I had them tied out and I was in the garage and they couldn't see me so they started barking. The old guy across the street comes over and says "Don't you think it's rude to just let those dogs bark like that? If you don't do something I'm going to have to get someone else involved" WTF? They had only been out maybe 5 minutes and not barking to whole time.

The neighbor next to us tie their dog out all the time and she barks non stop. But it's a yappy bark, not a deep hound bark like mine. But if you're going to call out one person, you need to call out everyone. I even went over to the next door neighbors and asked if they were annoyed by my dogs and they said they had no complaint. THEY"RE DOGS RETARD, THEY BARK SOMETIMES!!! :wall:

Don't you think it's rude to go outside in your boxers showing off your saggy old man body. Or feeding all the stray cats so that at any given time I have at least 5 stray cats roaming my yard. HUH???

JessicaR
08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh btw, before this happened I was thinking of getting one of these... http://www.upco.com/bark-free Do you think they work?

scout52
08-18-2007, 05:09 PM
We used a barking collar for my sisters dog and it worked fabulously. bc he turned out to be a yappy dog. i've never seen one of those so i assume it works in a similar manner.

he probably already confronted that neighbor and got nothing obviously couldn't get that dog to stop so saw yours and just took his frustration out on you. you know you have done nothing wrong so just ignore him

JessicaR
08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm just so stressed out this is not what I needed right now. I just feel like going off the deep end.

Knitting_Guy
08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh btw, before this happened I was thinking of getting one of these... http://www.upco.com/bark-free Do you think they work?

Whether or not it works depends upon just how good your neighbor's hearing is. If it doesn't shut him up see if you can get him to wear one of those shock collars.

JessicaR
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks, I needed that! :teehee:

auburnchick
08-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Jessica,

Sometimes, when one person complains like that, it's simply best to ignore them. I think you have to look at what they're complaining about, see if they have a valid point, and then choose to either take action or not. It doesn't seem, from what you related, that this has been an ongoing thing. Perhaps the man walked out of his house and assumed that your dogs had been barking for a long time. The fact that it upset you is enough to know that you care about what your neighbors think.

:hug:

zazzu
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Whether or not it works depends upon just how good your neighbor's hearing is. If it doesn't shut him up see if you can get him to wear one of those shock collars.

Um, you meant for the dog to wear the shock collar, right? :teehee:

I guess they don't work on barking old men?!

Jessica...he sounds like a crabby old goat who just wants to spread misery around because he has so much to spare. No wonder the dogs bark around him!

Let him make his empty threats. That guy deserves your pity more than your anger, since he is obviously so unhappy.

Knitting_Guy
08-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Um, you meant for the dog to wear the shock collar, right? :teehee:

I guess they don't work on barking old men?!

No, I meant the neighbor. I'd never advocate shocking a dog for being a dog.

JessicaR
08-18-2007, 10:28 PM
No, I meant the neighbor. I'd never advocate shocking a dog for being a dog. Amen brother! :)

I just really took it as a slap in the face because I feel that we are considerate neighbors. It's just a lifestyle conflict I think. They are retired and NEVER leave the house. Usually spend their day in the front or back yard yelling at their cats. However, I work 1st shift, my husband is on 3rds. Someone is always coming and going. I have stuff I need to do and the dogs need fresh air. If I tie them out and they bark a bit, I'm sorry.

zazzu
08-19-2007, 12:11 AM
No, I meant the neighbor. I'd never advocate shocking a dog for being a dog.

BAHAHAHAHA!! Oh, I totally agree. Neighbor has it coming, dog doesn't deserve it at all.

They are retired and NEVER leave the house. Usually spend their day in the front or back yard yelling at their cats.

Jeez, this guy just isn't fit to be around dogs, cats or humans, is he? I feel bad for the poor little kitties. :sad:

khewes
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I bought a shock collar for my dog and used it once. I felt so guilty. Dogs are supposed to bark. They're dogs.

What if a prowler was outside and your poor dog wanted to alert you all, and couldn't because it didn't want to get zapped.

As long as you are not breaking any noise ordinances, your neighbor can just go pound sand.

stitchwitch
08-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I have neighbors with barking dogs and believe me if you don't have dogs it is annoying. They have a chow mix of some sorts and two jack russels. I don't care if dogs are supposed to bark, I don't want to listen to it all day long or listen to it each time I want to enjoy my backyard. It's at the point that we can't even use our spa because the dogs bark at us. In my opinion, if you don't let your dogs bark for more than a few minutes fine, but other than that it's just rude to those that surround you. Kind of like screaming babies, parents don't seem to notice it but those that are within earshot do.

Sharly
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
My experiences with barking dogs:

Story #1 - We had the sweetest dog, let's call her Blaze, and the most annoying neighbor, let's call her Lynn ('cause that's her name) - Anyway, Blaze was an occassional barker, and the houses were close. We couldn't hear her from our bedroom, but apparently Lynn could, so she started to complain. Due to the fact that we didn't want to annoy Lynn, we began to put Blaze in the laundry room in the evenings. Lynn thanked us for this on the second day. However, the following week (unfortunately) their storage building was broken into and all their lawn equipment was stolen. Just imagine, if Blaze had not been locked away, she might have scared off the theives! Lynn then asked that we leave Blaze out from then on.

Story #2- I love animals. Anyone who knows me knows that. We moved into our "dream home" (which turned out to be a nightmare on a number of levels). Our neighbors who moved in after we did had a very large chocolate lab. I thought he was beautiful, but when I tried to pet him through the fence one day, he snapped at me. Well, it turns out, he was also a serial barker. It was impossible to sleep at night because this dog was breaking the sound barrier barking. They would frequently go out of town on weekends and he would bark incessantly for 2 days. His name was Major. At our house, he was known a Major PITA (if you know what I mean). When we were trying to sell our house, we couldn't even show it because of his barking. Who would want to buy next to that? Finally, my husband called and spoke with the woman and very nicely asked if they could let Major in as we were going to be showing the house and his barking had been a problem. She went all wacko and accused us of having "done something" to him to make him hate us so much (????) - Ugh! They eventually did start letting him in. I think they wanted us to move as badly as we wanted to leave! She had just had a baby, and I told my husband, she just went "Postal Partum" on him.

Life is good, though. I now live in the middle of 25 acres and the mooing of the cows doesn't bother me at all ;).

stitchwitch
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I only have one neighbor who does not have dogs like me, the rest of the neighbors all have two dogs. Our homes are close (100X145 ft. lots). For the most part they are all very respectful of the noise and their dogs will bark for a short period of time only over something that might startle them before they quiet them. I think it's about respect. The creepy neighbors by me that let their dogs bark forever are just plain trashy.

JessicaR
08-20-2007, 11:43 PM
This was 3pm on Saturday. They are never tied out after dark and like I said, I'm always out there with them. I never just tie them out and leave. I am respectful of others. So for him to get all huffy on me just piss' the (you know what) out of me.

Last night I got home from work just as my husband was leaving for work. We talked for a minute in the driveway and gave a quick peck and he left. I look over and the neighbor is looking out the window at us. Is he going to say that we were displaying inappropriate marital behavior now? Where does it end? He's always watching us and until now if didn't bother me, but it bothers me now. :oo:

jeanius80
08-20-2007, 11:59 PM
i just wrote my own doggie rant... i feel like a terrible nieghbor! my doggies think every yard is thiers, so when the nieghbors are out, my dogs will run over and bark at the fence. i just don't know what to do anymore. and the barking is driving me crazy. i wish we could afford training. *sigh*

JessicaR
08-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah, umm, I took mine to training, still didn't help :doh: Now I'm reading the book "Don't shoot the dog" as suggested to me by someone on here.

stitchwitch
08-21-2007, 07:48 AM
This was 3pm on Saturday. They are never tied out after dark and like I said, I'm always out there with them. I never just tie them out and leave. I am respectful of others. So for him to get all huffy on me just piss' the (you know what) out of me.

Last night I got home from work just as my husband was leaving for work. We talked for a minute in the driveway and gave a quick peck and he left. I look over and the neighbor is looking out the window at us. Is he going to say that we were displaying inappropriate marital behavior now? Where does it end? He's always watching us and until now if didn't bother me, but it bothers me now. :oo:

Oh well now you really have to play it up, afterall you have an audience!!:roflhard: Honestly, the guy is probably somehow a little jealous or entralled by you guys. I'd make big public displays of affection when I knew he was home. Let him really get an eye full! :roflhard::roflhard:
For the most part he sounds a little odd, I'd just blow him off and the next time he says something to you tell him to quit watching you all the time or you'll call the cops about him being a stalker. :teehee: I hate neighbors, wish I had more property.

sinistral_needler
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Would you like to trade neighbors? I have some Hmong neighbors that have roosters in their house and don't do anything to upkeep their property .... the kids throw rocks at my dobie, and yes, I've seen them do it. :(

Neighbors are generally a PITA. I wish I could live out in the country again, surrounded by cows, fields and woods.

Sharly
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Tracy :hug:

That rock-throwing thing would just push me over the edge, I'm afraid! :grrr:

PaperGirl
08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I must be the only one that likes their current neighbor. They are awesome.

BUT...I have had my share of rude cause of my dogs neighbors.

And bratty kids that think its OK to run up to my dog while Im walking him and try to chase him while hes on a leash. Oh MAN do I want to smack them!

sinistral_needler
08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
It's very upsetting to see the kids do that .. I realize that the Hmong, as a culture, don't quite understand the concept of having animals as pets .. but sheesh!!!:grrr: They have a hard time grasping American concepts, like property boundaries and pets, among other things.

When we see them doing it .. they react like they know it's wrong .. so it just boils down to them being plain-out naughty or mean, which makes it all the worse. :hair:

We watch them when they are outside by the dog - which isn't too often (fortunately we have a chain-link fence around the yard). And we sit outside on our deck when the weather is nice when they are prone to being outside running around, but generally, the dog is inside (he is SUCH a total baby - you would never know that he is an 85 lb mean-looking dog).

JessicaR
08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
We will be building a house on acreage my husband's family owns, but that won't be for 5 more years *sigh* I figured that when *if* I get them trained well, I know he's going to come over and thank me. I'll just make it quite clear that I didn't do it for him! :yay:

He's going to get a wake up call when the corn field behind his house is turned into a subdivision. They've already started the road work. Why can't they just move to Florida like everyone else?

Luvmyrottnboy
08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
You know when my mom retired (at 79!) and was home every day she always stuck her nose in! The poor kids playing outside were "too noisy" (I told her I thought it was WONDERFUL to see kids actually playing outside!), the people across the street were "stupid" because of where they fed the birds, the woman next door planted flowers "too close" to the front of the house, etc, etc.

She made a real pain in the butt out of herself! Turns out she was in the very beginning stages of Alzheimers Disease (although she ALWAYS was a bit of a crank!) and nothing, but nothing made her happy...everything, but everything pissed her off! She was harmless though.

Some folks just get cranky as they age! Ignore him.

stitchwitch
08-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Why can't they just move to Florida like everyone else?
Oh God no, please don't send anymore nut bags down here, we have enough already here that others have sent down.

JessicaR
08-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, he actually had brain cancer that's in remission. You'd think he'd be happy that he got a second chance, but I guess not :???:

I'm actually planning on throwing a "Piss off the neighbor" party :teehee: Just a few friends and a fire after 7 should be enough to get his goat!

stitchwitch
08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Don't do that. It just makes you look bad. Just go about your normal adult like, business and let the man be. If he bothers you about stuff ask him why he feels the need to harass you about menial stuff but don't rely on being the trashy neighbor yourself it will only allow others to take his side. Be the better person.

JessicaR
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Awww, but I wanted to have my friends over! It's not like a kegger where we all end up naked! On the other hand...:think:

tropicallie
08-23-2007, 12:12 AM
WOW. I have to say, you are one nice neighbor. Some old guy (and I mean no disrespect by that - At 51, some would consider me old) anyway...some old guy showed up on MY property in nothing but boxers, he'd be looking at the business end of my Glock. That's if my husband didn't get to him first. I mean, geeze, MY EYES! MY EYES!
What's a barking dog compared to having to look at THAT! I don't care if the poor soul has a brain tumor or not. He can't just go running around the neighborhood in his undies!

JessicaR
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I try not to look :teehee: I used to be so self conscious about what I looked like when I went outside, even just to bring the dogs out to potty. Now I don't give a rip because ANYTHING must be better then that!

zazzu
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't care if the poor soul has a brain tumor or not. He can't just go running around the neighborhood in his undies!

At first, this is funny. But if I had children, and this crazy old guy in his underpants showed up at my house to create drama, you can bet I'd call the cops ASAP. Especially with children, you can't just assume he's not an insane perv. :oo:

With no kids, I'd just keep a camera nearby and film him any time he comes on my property. But that's just me. :)

JessicaR
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
If I see him doing it again I'll snap a pic ;)

JessicaR
08-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I went out to put some plant food on the garden before it rains again :ick: Our basement's been flooded for days now, but no point in cleaning it up, more rain is on the way!

Anywho, I took the "good" dog (when it comes to barking) out with me. Put my car radio on, reasonable volume of course ;) Dog started barking, I took him inside. Kept my end of the deal. I'm sure he loved the fact that I played Party Like A Rockstar twice! :teehee:

LBoater
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Jessica, congrats on being the adult in this situation. No point in getting into a "pissing match" with him.
To answer your original question, a friend of ours tried the remote bark controller thing on his neighbor's dogs, it didn't work. As cruel as it sounds, the actual bark collars are much better. Most will allow a bark or two before they give a light "correction".
Our lab wears an e-collar (yep, the ol' shock collar) for training, walks and whenever we're working out in the unfenced yard. She's not afraid of it, gets excited when we pick it up because she knows she's going to be doing something fun. It has worked wonders on obedience.
Just my 2 cents

JessicaR
08-23-2007, 10:20 PM
The vet suggested one for the oldest, she's the instigator. They also said that the sound thing wouldn't work because they have floppy ears. I'm going to try to teach them "lay down" first, because they explain in the book that dogs don't lay down and bark at the same time. It's called "incompatible behavior" training.

Susan P.
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree with Stitchwitch completely. Doing things specifically to try and wind him up is wrong (if that's what the thoughts were). One thing to remember that even tho you found his approach painful he DID approach you. Many people would have rung authorities. Secondly, you said your neighbour's dog barks a lot, he may have not realised the noise source properly and that may have been worth pointing out.

And he had brain cancer? Gosh, what an awful condition and that may have affected his senses and perceptions.

And yes, many of us have experienced terrible comments about how we look and being overweight or underweight or whatever. It's not a good 'look' to pick at how anyone else looks given our own experience.

Being adult (since that term was used) is being dignified and mindful of ALL your neighbours. If we all went around paying people back and not taking a better path ourselves it would be anarchy. He may be a pain or he may have been incorrect however you have the opportunity to be better than the situation and doing *anything* to get him going is not the best thing to do at all. It's provocative and creating issues yourself.

JessicaR
08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
I just thought I'd end this on a good note. I was out laying in the sun today with the dogs and the neighbor guy came over. Asked if the mower had bothered my husband since he works 3rds and sleeps in the day. I said I didn't even noticed it. Then mentioned I'm working on keeping the dogs quite and explained the "ignoring" method I was trying to use. But that it wasn't going to work because it was disturbing. And we made our peace.

Susan P.
08-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Jessica.. I'm glad to hear that. And him coming over and asking that showed he's not a bad guy after all. That was a considerate thing to ask you and it was great of you to raise your issue of barking with him. Making peace has to be good.

stitchwitch
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I just thought I'd end this on a good note. I was out laying in the sun today with the dogs and the neighbor guy came over. Asked if the mower had bothered my husband since he works 3rds and sleeps in the day. I said I didn't even noticed it. Then mentioned I'm working on keeping the dogs quite and explained the "ignoring" method I was trying to use. But that it wasn't going to work because it was disturbing. And we made our peace.

You rock!!!:cheering:

JessicaR
08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
You rock!!!:cheering:

I wouldn't go that far....but Thanks!!!

JessicaR
06-09-2008, 02:53 AM
I guess I just had to say this out loud in front of everyone and get it out. I learned today that the neighbor across the street died. I'm feeling very weird. I mean, we never really got along but it's not like I wished him dead, you know?

2 months ago my favorite person in the world, my aunt Gloria, died of pancreatic cancer. Ever since then I've been very sad and angry at everything. I kind fell off the deep end, walked off my job and I'm on many medications to just get me through the day. Ever since then I've been so mad that someone so mean like him could live thru brain cancer twice and someone so nice like Gloria didn't even last 3 months. I know, it's bad to say.

So, I don't know what I'm feeling. Anything and everything all at once.

Sunshine's Mom
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh, Jessica, I'm so sorry. I just read all the posts on this thread and I'm really upset reading your last post. But, you did make your peace with him and that counts for something on both your parts. I'm truly sorry about your aunt Gloria. Hang in there and live a life she'd be proud of. You're already well on your way.

Much love,

Amy

JessicaR
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Thank you. I knew he was sick again so I made sure to keep the dogs in check and not do any demolition to the house after about 5pm. I think just actually saying it helps. And I haven't really talked about Gloria that much, anything just sets me off. But maybe not talking about it is worse?

Sunshine's Mom
06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
You have to make your own choices about how to deal with the passing of a loved one. For me, that's talking about that person and how much they meant to me and retell all the stories that made you love them in the first place. Sharing sometimes helps. Grieving, as you know, takes a long time. I don't think you ever really get over it, but you can put the lessons you learned from that person to good use and carry on.

It helps me to feel as though my loved one would want me to live my life to the fullest and to not be too sad and to remember them. A person missed is only gone for good when you stop talking about them. Again, this is just MY way. Yours is not wrong for you.

Of course, I am rather free with my emotions. I definitely need a good cry every so often (which is when I watch "Steel Magnolias" or a Hallmark commercial for that matter!).

Just remember that you always have support and don't be afraid to reach out if you need it.