PDA

View Full Version : SEWING MACHINE - HELP!!

bailsmom
08-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I know there's a post on what's a good sewing machine, but my mom just called to tell me this one is on sale at Joann's and I wanted to ask your help to see if it's worth the money!!

Here's the link....Sewing machine (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3199&PRODID=xprd243696)

TIA for your opinions.

Oh, one more thing, I'm not a sewer at all, I took 1 home ec. class in the 9th grade, but enjoyed it immensly. I need this for basic hemming of garments and the such. Easy beginner stuff.

Nobones
08-20-2007, 02:25 PM
If it were me I stay clear of 'Re-furbished' machines. That usually means machines have been used a lot and tided up by the company to re-sell.

The rule of thumb with a sewing machine is get one that can do more than you can, that way you won't out grow quickly and you'll have a machine that will last you a fair while. If that machine does more than you can do and feel comfy getting it then go ahead.

I'd love to see your sewing efforts, sewing remains my first love, even though I haven't done any in while.

Doodknitwit
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
2 good points..
1 it is a Singer
2 it is a portable
you can do alot more than basics with this machine!!
great price!!

check the warranty and let that be you guide.....

kayeknit
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
That's not a bad deal. And it does come with a warranty. I don't know much about refurbished models, though. I've been sewing for seven years now on my grandmother's (late 1980's model) Simplicity sewing machine, and my mother still uses her old (1970's?) Kenmore machine. Sewing machines can last a long time...that's my point.
If you are just looking for a basic beginner machine, I would consider this model (or something similar). It's probably simple enough to get started without much frustration, but seems to have enough features to keep you learning for quite a while.
Do you live near a Hancocks? They have many sales on sewing machines. Here (http://www.hancockfabrics.com/category/2975.html) is the current ad.
I personally always found this (http://www.hancockfabrics.com/product/iMainCat/2973/iSubCat/2975/iProductID/37158/37158.html) model appealing, and it's $50.00 off right now.

bailsmom
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
That's not a bad deal. And it does come with a warranty. I don't know much about refurbished models, though. I've been sewing for seven years now on my grandmother's (late 1980's model) Simplicity sewing machine, and my mother still uses her old (1970's?) Kenmore machine. Sewing machines can last a long time...that's my point.
If you are just looking for a basic beginner machine, I would consider this model (or something similar). It's probably simple enough to get started without much frustration, but seems to have enough features to keep you learning for quite a while.
Do you live near a Hancocks? They have many sales on sewing machines. Here (http://www.hancockfabrics.com/category/2975.html) is the current ad.
I personally always found this (http://www.hancockfabrics.com/product/iMainCat/2973/iSubCat/2975/iProductID/37158/37158.html) model appealing, and it's $50.00 off right now.

No, I don't live near a Hancocks. Sure wish I did. I think maybe I'll get this one since you all seem to think it's a good one to start with, plus if it turns out to be a piece of crap at least I havn't forked out hundreds of dollars for it!!

Thank you all so much for your help!!

dakatzmeow
08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
don't rely on the fact that is has the singer name on it. if i'm not mistaken, the name was sold and the machine it is on is not by the original company. that doesn't make it a bad machine. it just makes it not quite what you may have been expecting.

kayeknit
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
don't rely on the fact that is has the singer name on it. if i'm not mistaken, the name was sold and the machine it is on is not by the original company. that doesn't make it a bad machine. it just makes it not quite what you may have been expecting.

I haven't heard about that. But I doubt that JoAnn's would be selling a "counterfeit" Singer...
Anyway, there are many other reputable brands out there: Simplicity, Janome, Bernina, Husqvarna Viking, Brother, Kenmore, BabyLock, etc. Any of these machines should be dependable, and you can find many lower-priced models at your local Wal-Mart (or Sears), as well as a fabric/sewing shop.
By the way, have you looked into buying a machine online? I'm not sure how much shipping would be, but you can buy direct from Hancocks, or even find a new machine on eBay.

Belphoebe
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm an exclusive Bernina girl myself. I saved for two years to get one, but I have never been disappointed in it. It runs today as well as it did when I bought it, and I've put it through some heavy duty sewing. Good luck with your decision.

bailsmom
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Oooooh, I forgot about Walmart! Guess I'll have to check there first. I called my local Joanns and she said "We don't carry any sewing machine that cheap"! Can you believe that!! I could have reached through that phone and smacked her upside her head......idiot. :roll:

There are just wayyy to many stupid people in this world.

hunterjenn
08-21-2007, 03:12 AM
But I doubt that JoAnn's would be selling a "counterfeit" Singer...

:waving: Not counterfeit--they just sold the name brand to another manufacturer. :thumbsup:

Sears is a good idea, too. I've used my Kenmore machine to death for the last 10 years, and I learned on my mom's Kenmore, which is now 30 years old and still going strong! I think you can get a good machine in the $150 range. I'd be a little nervous about the refurbished thing, too. :shrug:

cftwo
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
It looks like a good better-than-basic machine to me, at a really good price. I picked up my Brother machine at a garage sale for $15, had it serviced and it works wonderfully. I don't have a warranty with it, but it is a good machine. It's garage sale season around here, so you might want to keep your eyes open for those, too.

bailsmom
08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
It looks like a good better-than-basic machine to me, at a really good price. I picked up my Brother machine at a garage sale for $15, had it serviced and it works wonderfully. I don't have a warranty with it, but it is a good machine. It's garage sale season around here, so you might want to keep your eyes open for those, too.

That is a great idea, but we're not garage/rummage sale people. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea as far as buying kids clothes and such, but my mom never went to them so it's not in my mind to go to them either.

Plus I don't have the patience to go house to house looking for deals. I even hate looking at the sales racks at the stores when they are all jammed with clearanced clothes!! My mother, however, is a pro at that, I would rather poke my eyes out!

Basically, it just comes down to this: I'm lazy. :roflhard:

cheesiesmom
08-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I have a 40 year old Kenmore which is still going and I spent many years doing a lot of more than just the basics. If you want to do more than just fix seams, tears and hems, then go for the best you can buy. I always wanted a fancy-schmancy machine. And I would have used all the gimcracks and gizmos. But if you don't plan on that, a good basic machine should be sufficient and you can save your money.

bjc1050
08-23-2007, 06:39 AM
All 3 of my Singer sewing machines were purchased as refurbished machines. The 2 older ones are still running great. The newest was purchased directly from the Singer website. I think I got a great deal. $80 sounds like a terrific deal with all those features. I wouldn't hesitate at that price.

bjc1050
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Another helpful site for comparing sewing machines is www.patternreview.com

They have opinions posted about most brands that are on the market.

zip
08-23-2007, 07:30 AM
That is a great idea, but we're not garage/rummage sale people. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea as far as buying kids clothes and such, but my mom never went to them so it's not in my mind to go to them either.

Plus I don't have the patience to go house to house looking for deals. I even hate looking at the sales racks at the stores when they are all jammed with clearanced clothes!! My mother, however, is a pro at that, I would rather poke my eyes out!

Basically, it just comes down to this: I'm lazy. :roflhard:

You could try craigslist.org (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/about/cities.html). It's the modern day Alice's Restaurant. you can get anything you want...

I have the local branch keyed up to search all posts for "yarn" as my home page. Two days ago, I found a charitable recipient for some of my old acrylic stash, as well as a local knitting group who I hope to meet with soon.

bailsmom
08-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you all for your wonderful replies. I went to Joann's and bought the Singer model 1120. Brought it home, then looked up the reviews on it and of the 3 I found they all hated it. I'm obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :roll: But I didn't know when the sale was over so I bought it just in case.

So I emailed Singer asking them which model they thought would be a good choice for me. It took them 4 days to get back to me - not cool - they suggested model 3116, which Walmart had for $94.00. So we took the 1120 back tonight and got the 3116. It's only a $5.00 difference in price so.....Plus they didn't even acknowledge my remark about the 1120. I even called them twice today and sat on hold the first time for 10 minutes, hung up, called back and sat on hold for over a half hour :tap: Soooooo not cool. That made me quite leary of buying anything from them if it takes an act of God to get them to pick up the phone. :nails:

So I checked the reviews tonight on the 3116 and most of them were positive, so I think we're sticking with that one! I'm so excited to start.

hunterjenn
08-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Congratulations! Have fun with it! :yay:

kayeknit
08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I think you did the right thing. And you got a new machine, rather than a refurbished mode. Good luck with it, and have fun sewing! :yay:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-24-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a Janome, and i love it. I do wish I had spent the extra 100 bucks to get the computerized model... It didn't occur to me to get one that can do more than I can :doh: Ahh, well.
My first machine was a singer and it was GREAT. The Janome has more functions and is easier (for me) to control the fabric with.