PDA

View Full Version : My Cymbalism Pendant on eBay

larudden
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Well, I finally took a deep breath and decided to list one of my pendants on ebay to "get a feel" for how they'll do. These pendants, big glass cymbals anywhere from 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 inches big, come from my torch and invite the wearer to "make some noise" about national and global issues. $5 from the sale of each cymbal will be donated to the organization "cymbalized" by the pendant.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, here's the first one: Pretty in Pink, a yummy pink cymbal with deeper pink swirls in it. It benefits the Susan Komen Foundation. I love this pendant because pink can be a very hard color to get in glass. The heat and position of the flame determines the density of the color when it comes to pink, and I was so tweaked to get the fullness of this beautiful color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Sisters-Beads-Lampwork-Pendant-Breast-Cancer-4WC_W0QQitemZ200144158554QQihZ010QQcategoryZ34070Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/3Sisters-Beads-Lampwork-Pendant-Breast-Cancer-4WC_W0QQitemZ200144158554QQihZ010QQcategoryZ34070Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Please, please, give me your constructive comments. I'm open to all suggestions. Go ahead! I can take it. I trust the opinions of my friends here at KH. I know that there is no better place to come to for advice than HERE!

You rock!

Kaydee
08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Its beautiful!!!:inlove: It looks like you do very lovely work. I didn't know that the color of the glass depended on the position of the flame...very interesting.

larudden
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Its beautiful!!!:inlove: It looks like you do very lovely work. I didn't know that the color of the glass depended on the position of the flame...very interesting.

Thanks Katie.

I use alot of reactive glass in these pendants to get some really great color variations. The photographs never do them justice. Every time I wear one, I end up giving it away because someone in the bank or the store or at church goes crazy over it and I figure, What the Heck? I'll just make myself another. Not a great way to make money but I really don't care. I love sharing my gift.

Thanks for the kudos.

PaperGirl
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
OMG! Thats so pretty! Just gorgeous!

I love glass jewelry like that. I bought a big blue heart/teardrop pendant a while back...get compliments on it all the time!

I wonder if I can talk DH into bying me one of yours...they are so unique!

Susan P.
08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi. I think if you could provide an image of in hanging on a mannequin or a friend (not with face in pic) it would help as I always wonder how such pieces might 'sit' and whether they will actually turn around or sit flat on the chest etc Possible to make a matching pair of cymbal earrings with would further the impression of making a sound with a pair of cymbals?? I love seeing glass work..fascinating.

Silver
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Um.. I LOVE it. It's PINK!!! I'm bidding! :)

dakatzmeow
08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
hmmmmmmm, someone named silversomethingsomething is the highest bidder. ;)

you do beautiful work!

GinnyG
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
HEHEHEHEHE, I'm the highest bidder (for the moment). I think it's WONDERFUL!!! If you decide to make more than one and sell them PLEASE let me know.

A very dear friend of mine was just diagnosed with breast Ca, she hasn't even had her mastectomy yet (end of the week). I would love to have something like that as a sign of support!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
08-22-2007, 04:53 PM
HEHEHEHEHE, I'm the highest bidder (for the moment). I think it's WONDERFUL!!! If you decide to make more than one and sell them PLEASE let me know.

A very dear friend of mine was just diagnosed with breast Ca, she hasn't even had her mastectomy yet (end of the week). I would love to have something like that as a sign of support!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I'm not going to fight you for it. You have a good reason to buy it. I just liked it cause it's pink, and beautiful and shiny. LOL Although I deliberately bid more than $5 so Leslie had at least her $5 donation. :thumbsup:

Leslie, make more.. I'd love a pink one. Have you considered selling on Etsy.com??? :heart:

larudden
08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I'm not going to fight you for it. You have a good reason to buy it. I just liked it cause it's pink, and beautiful and shiny. LOL Although I deliberately bid more than $5 so Leslie had at least her $5 donation. :thumbsup:

Leslie, make more.. I'd love a pink one. Have you considered selling on Etsy.com??? :heart:

You guys are too funny! I really appreciate your thoughts and your support. Thanks.:muah:

Pink is such a great color in glass but it can be so iffy sometimes. I think that my torch "understands" how important these pieces are so every color is really "popping" for me.

You know, I have an Etsy account but have never really ventured over there. I probably should put a cymbal up over there to see what happens.

I laugh because I actually stayed home from work today because, as I was washing my hair, I had this huge brainstorm and decided that I couldn't go see Mickey Mouse and, instead, spent the next 2 hours in my studio working on necklaces. I just got in some soft, soft silk ribbon in some gorgeous colors and have added some sterling charms and swarovski dangles to the mix. They're looking pret-ty good if I do say so myself. And just for you ladies, I've got another pink cymbal on my website.

Of course, I'll be happy to do anything special you'd like so nobody has to fight over anything. I've got plenty of pink glass. ;)

I'm going to go to my local jewelry design center this weekend and buy a necklace display so I can photograph the cymbals better. Thanks for that much appreciated tip.

OK, I'm done now.................

jeanius80
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
very beautiful! i 2nd etsy.... i think you'd get fairer selling prices. the ppl who buy and sell there better understand the hard work that goes into handmade art and crafts

GinnyG
08-23-2007, 05:57 AM
I went to your web site last night at looked at your necklaces. THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a amazing idea, what beautiful glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will definately be hearing from me, I'm already thinking CHRISTMAS GIFTS.

I love glass, I did stained glass for years til I moved and lost my workship space. I've always been intrigued by lampwork beading and last year tried to get a book to learn how to do it but the one I wanted was out of print. Glass just fascinates me.

What a great idea, I hope that where ever you decide to sell these you do well!!

Kaydee
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I just went to your website, and I loooove that all of your Cymbalism pendants mean something and are for a cause. What a great idea, and they're beautiful!

larudden
08-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the kudos everyone! I've been having lots of fun this week "playing with fire." These cymbals are just taking on a life of their own, which is just fine with me. Each time that I light the torch, I learn something new.

Here's one of my favorites, which my oldest daughter Beth has claimed. I call it "Sterno" and, if it were for sale, it would benefit a global warming-type foundation. Of course, I loved it so much, I had to try to make another for myself. Of course, they're never as good as the original which is what I love. Even though the colors are the same, no two are ever alike!

I've got a bunch of cymbals that won't make the Cymbalism cut so I think I'll string two together and call them "high hats." High hats are the two cymbals on a set of drums that tap together to make a really cool sound. I've even been trying to teach myself Chinese Knotting and man! it's alot harder than it looks. However, the snake knots on my small pendants look pret-ty neat.

Anywho, I'm babbling...............Have a great day everyone!

Susan P.
08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
I really like this last example and I think the background and light really show it off to good effect. I gather you are making these from glass rods using a torch as you mention..good for you :) it's also such fun to experiment.

GinnyG
08-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I just LOVE the way you have dressed up the disk with the charm and bead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
08-24-2007, 11:47 AM
They are reeeeeallly beautiful Leslie. I love the oil slick one.. and the gold one... and the pink one... *sigh*

VictoiseC
08-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi Leslie! Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous. I didn't think I'd like glass so much but the colors just bowled me over. I liked the pink one, then I saw the red one! That's a great thing you're doing... I don't usually wear glass but I'll think about these when I get some extra $$$.

Must be really interesting work... are there any pix of you doing it, the torch and the process?

suziehomemaker
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I just sent your website to my DH because he mom loves this type of jewelry, plus she'll love all of the charities you picked.

larudden
08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
You all are so good for me! Thanks!:muah:

Couple pics of me working and a few pics that I found while looking for pics of me working!

The cymbals are taking over the house! And, of course, I had another idea for another line of pendants. I wish my brain would stop this madness!

Susan P.
08-25-2007, 09:35 AM
No..don't inhibit the madness. I like the addition to the mug handle. I would also experiment with adding glass strips to the mug.. I presume they would adhere. I find it interesting that some people can work brilliantly and creatively with say wood but are hopeless with stone..and so on. You have probably found a great niche. I can't see them now I've gone to reply but what are the shells made of..are they porcelain that you added some glass to?

PaperGirl
08-25-2007, 09:50 AM
OMG OMG! :heart::inlove::heart::inlove:

I am in LUST with that mug! :roflhard:

Its absolutely amazing! I love the handle!

Does the bead on the handle spin?

That is truely wonderful work! Please dont stop!

GinnyG
09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
WOOHOO!!
My "Cymbals" arrived:cheering:, I won the one listed on ebay and just HAD to buy another. Leslie was sooooo wonderfully sweet to make me a THIRD to send to my dear friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer.

They are even more beautiful than her pictures show.

I am already thinking ahead to Christmas and who I might order one for.:thumbsup: If you are considering a "Cymbal" I can vouch for their beauty!!

zip
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the kudos everyone! I've been having lots of fun this week "playing with fire." These cymbals are just taking on a life of their own, which is just fine with me. Each time that I light the torch, I learn something new.

Here's one of my favorites, which my oldest daughter Beth has claimed. I call it "Sterno" and, if it were for sale, it would benefit a global warming-type foundation. Of course, I loved it so much, I had to try to make another for myself. Of course, they're never as good as the original which is what I love. Even though the colors are the same, no two are ever alike!

I've got a bunch of cymbals that won't make the Cymbalism cut so I think I'll string two together and call them "high hats." High hats are the two cymbals on a set of drums that tap together to make a really cool sound. I've even been trying to teach myself Chinese Knotting and man! it's alot harder than it looks. However, the snake knots on my small pendants look pret-ty neat.

Anywho, I'm babbling...............Have a great day everyone!

I love the red! Your website reads that you're heading to Catalina. Is that the one in California?

wewantmore
09-02-2007, 06:05 AM
I laugh because I actually stayed home from work today because, as I was washing my hair, I had this huge brainstorm and decided that I couldn't go see Mickey Mouse

:noway: You WORK for the Mouse? :noway: Oh I am so jealous.

:thud: yeah the pendants are beautiful too.

Michelle

Nobones
09-02-2007, 07:07 AM
I am in awe! Those pendants and your website... I can't put words, stunning is enough.

I'm in the U.K but would LOVE to get hold of one of your glass pendants, I think they are just stunning. I've emailed a link to your site to my Step-mother who will just love it.

If I lived near you I'd be a regular customer, I'd would have had the mug and and a lot of your pendants by now!

Good luck with it, what a wonderful thing you are doing.

mare-nitt
09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
These are awesome. Thank you for sharing your love of art and life.
Keep us posted as to how you will offer them for sale.

I can picture one laying against a knitted sweater or atop a knitted scarf. Beautiful

larudden
09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I would also experiment with adding glass strips to the mug.. I presume they would adhere.

Thanks so much for everyone's great comments. My ego is definitely in the clouds right now!:woot:

as far as the mug goes, the only way I could actually add glass to the porcelain itself would be epoxy adhesive. The mug would never withstand the heat of the torch and then the 4 or so hours in the kiln. It's a great idea though.

I bought those mugs years ago and then "found" them again. They're called spinner mugs and you can actually change out the beads if you want. And they'll go in the dishwasher! I painted on them with glass paint and then stuck them in the oven.

Thanks again.

larudden
09-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I am in LUST with that mug! :roflhard:

Its absolutely amazing! I love the handle!
Does the bead on the handle spin?

Yup! It spins all over the place. Way cool! I've got a picture of another one "somewhere." I'll have to dig it out to show you.

Thanks again for the comments. I've been working nonstop in the studio for days and this week will be the same, trying to get enough together to take to Catalina.

You're all so good for me!:muah:

larudden
09-03-2007, 09:07 AM
If you are considering a "Cymbal" I can vouch for their beauty!!

OMG, and I didnt' even twist you arm for THAT comment!

Thanks, Ginny, for your support. Really! I'm glad you're happy with the cymbals. It's always so hard when they go out in the mail because I truly love each and every one and there's always the chance that the recipient won't feel the same.

I can do all kinds of things for you if you want. No pressure, really. I'm sooooooooo not about that. I always tell my friends "This whole glass thing is REALLY not about the money for me." If I happen to make some $$ with them, that's perfectly fine, but this is NOT why I do it. I live by Psalm 37:4 and I figure, if what I do delights God, then he'll bless it. That's it! In fact, I tried TWICE this past weekend to give pendants to my friends and they refused. They wouldn't take it without paying. So, I just figure it'll get me to Catalina and, when I get there, we'll see.

I really do appreciate all your thoughts though. This is really the one place that I've had the nerve to really share fully what I'm doing with these cymbals. I feel "safe" here with my KH friends. I don't share this stuff to make you buy them, and I think you all "get" that. It's lilke when we share out finished knitting and crochet projects. Mine these days just happen to be in glass.

You're the best! Kisses and hugs all around!!!!

larudden
09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
:noway: You WORK for the Mouse? :noway: Oh I am so jealous. Michelle

Yeah, I do! It's soooooooooo much fun! I get to sit on the floor, do the Hokey Pokey, give out hundreds of stickers, trade pins..........

And let's not forget the free admission and nice discounts, especially at Christmas!:woot::woot:

larudden
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I can picture one laying against a knitted sweater or atop a knitted scarf. Beautiful

So, in your opinion, what would be a good size for a glass "button?" Would it need a shanke or could you just attached it through the hole in the center?

I've been trying to figure out buttons for a while, because it's such a perfect idea. I just need some help on the technical part.

Thanks.

mulene
09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
wow your work is amazing! I love the stuff you have shown here especially the sea shells!

Debbie
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi Leslie, I am in Orlando, too! Do you belong to any of the knitting groups ? Your glasswork is beautiful!!!

Nobones
09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
So, in your opinion, what would be a good size for a glass "button?" Would it need a shanke or could you just attached it through the hole in the center?

I find it easier to work with buttons with holes in rather than a shank, sometimes the shank ones don't sit right and because of that have a habit of twisting and coming off.

I can't wait to see some of those buttons, I bet they are going to be gorgeous.

larudden
09-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi Leslie, I am in Orlando, too! Do you belong to any of the knitting groups ? Your glasswork is beautiful!!!

Hey Debbie!
Actually, I'm in Davenport, Exit 55 off Rt. 4. I don't belong to any of the groups because the ones of knew of met Mondays or Wednesday and they were the two nights I worked at Disney.

I'd love to get into a group, though, if you know of any others. Or you can just come over and knit with me. :waving: