PDA

View Full Version : Updated:Dog with cloudy portion of his eye

HollyP
08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
My Bentley, a 6 year old lab right eye has a half moon shaped cloudiness toward the bottom . I honestly don't know exactly when it started but I am fairly certain he didn't have it yesterday. Why do I always notice these thing after the vet is closed for the day? Should I be concerned? I will definitely be calling the vet tomorrow but right now I am just worried. Of course I looked online and am totally freaked out by all the information I got when I typed in cloudy eye in dogs. Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? Thanks for reading.

Jan in CA
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
It doesn't sound like an emergency, but I would call the vet tomorrow ... unless there is bleeding or pain of course.

Are you sure it wasn't there? It almost sounds like a cataract of some sort. :think:

Vendie
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I was just going to suggest the same thing. He might have a cataract forming. My mom's dog has got cataracts, but he's much older.

Limey
08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Holly

If the 'cloudy' bit is grey, it could be the 'third' eyelid or the Haw showing - is it coming from the inner bottom corner?

Please do call your vet as soon as possible - the eyelid showing could be a cause for concern and due to a variety of conditions. If your dog seems lethargic and not 'himself' just let him rest and sleep and make sure he has plenty of fluid.

Do a Google search - 'third eyelid dogs' and you should be able to get more info.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best Wishes

Ellie

sylvia
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
hi
sorry but it could be a cataract
my sons dog has it and he has lost the sight in the one eye
but do see a vet
sylvia

sugarfunpouch
08-21-2007, 11:49 PM
A cataract sounds likely. See the vet as soon as you can.

HollyP
08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all of your replies:hug:!! We have an appointment this afternoon at 3:50. I am really hoping it is an infection of some sort but am being realistic. He just had a checkup 2 weeks ago and I keep thinking if he had cataracts they would have shown up. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! My first dog went blind due to cataracts.

bellium
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
i am a little late to this thread, but the most likely cause is an ulcer, which can show up as a cloudy spot on the cornea of the eye - cataracts usually cover the whole colored portion of the eye - let us know how it goes!

HollyP
08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi! Just got back from the vet. Bentley apparently scratched his eye and the cloudiness is due his healing. I have to give him eye drops for the next ten days. Thanks again for all of your concern and posts!!

How to do you change the title to threads? I looked and looked and couldn't find the way.

Jan in CA
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
How to do you change the title to threads? I looked and looked and couldn't find the way.

I'm glad he's okay!

To change the subject line go to the first post and click edit and then advanced.