PDA

View Full Version : Colored my hair...

Silver
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I said to hubby, "I'm not going for subtle". I think I got what I asked for. This is L'Oreal Color Rays in Fuchia. :zombie: What do you think? I think it's going to take some getting used to, but man, I love how it turned out!

http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/me/image/425/DSC00780.JPG
(http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/me/image/425/DSC00780.JPG)

wildforyarn
08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Way cool color! Did you just do the front? Looks great! I color my hair often... not much lately. I have had it done a cool auburn/purply type color a few years back and I loved it!

Silver
08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Thank you. I did mostly in the front/top. A little underneath around my ears and neck too. That stuff rocks... easy to work with, although I had to clear out my bathroom before starting.... everything (rugs, towels, etc) is white in there. LOL

wildforyarn
08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I know what you mean about clearing the bathroom. While mine is not white, I always leave a little color somewhere that needs to be cleaned up off of that tub or the sink. Not caused any stains yet, knock on wood. I do have a t-shirt that is devoted to wearing whenever I color my hair. Hmmm, you have put the bug in me to find a new color for the fall! :)

Lady Violet
08-22-2007, 09:28 PM
that looks GREAT!!! :happydance:
one of these days i want to try something similar with purple. it's been a dream of mine for years to have purple hair. one day.... :)

jjminarcik
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
:woohoo::woohoo:
It looks awesome!!!!

I'm a natural blond just recently colored my hair an auburn/reddish color. It's definitely different, but something about the reddish color makes me feel. . . kinda. . . saucy?? :teehee:

BinkyKat
08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Very switched on baybee!
Although, I find myself really looking at your "come hither" stare:teehee:. Bet you get hubbo to do lots of things with that look...:eyebrow: You should be a model

jeanius80
08-23-2007, 12:46 AM
i love it silver! looks great on you!

KnittingNat
08-23-2007, 01:52 AM
I like it too! I think maybe Amy should have a calendar with anti-stereotype for knitting ladies and you should be on the front page!

beckyrhae
08-23-2007, 03:04 AM
suits you well ... good job!

Nobones
08-23-2007, 05:32 AM
I love it! :yay:

zip
08-23-2007, 07:42 AM
grrl... looks like the color's right for your skin tone. It needs something... maybe darkening the uncolored portion to glam up the pink. You could do anything to your hair and still be beautiful!

kemp
08-23-2007, 08:13 AM
LOVE it! You always look gorgeous but that is so fun.

auburnchick
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
How cute! It looks great on you!

Kaydee
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
It looks awesome!

jodstr2
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
:inlove::cheering:I love it! looks good!

yep, clearing the bathroom - I know how that goes, I manage to get a few ltitle spots on the wall and sink, and I never see them until they're partially dried. speaking of which, I need to do mine this weekend, I have roots showing.

Silver
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Thank you so much everyone. This is taking some getting used to. Every time I look in the mirror, I'm like "EEEP! What did you do to your HAIR?" Then I go "hey, that looks pretty cool!" I think that's normal... right? Tell me I'm normal...

Very switched on baybee!
Although, I find myself really looking at your "come hither" stare:teehee:. Bet you get hubbo to do lots of things with that look...:eyebrow: You should be a model
I can get him to do some things, but it's still difficult to get him to open the wallet. *sigh* And thank you so much, but trust me, I can not be a model with this butt. :ick:

I like it too! I think maybe Amy should have a calendar with anti-stereotype for knitting ladies and you should be on the front page!
LOL I was already getting double takes when I tell people I'm a knitting teacher. Silly muggles... they have NO idea.

grrl... looks like the color's right for your skin tone. It needs something... maybe darkening the uncolored portion to glam up the pink. You could do anything to your hair and still be beautiful!
*gasp* Glam it up MORE? I thought this was crazy enough? :teehee:

I showed a pic to my sister. She lives in Atlanta, but will be down her this weekend for her wedding reception party. She said "Great. Right before you meet my in-laws. I guess WE ARE the weird ones." :roflhard:

Silver
08-23-2007, 09:22 AM
:inlove::cheering:I love it! looks good!

yep, clearing the bathroom - I know how that goes, I manage to get a few ltitle spots on the wall and sink, and I never see them until they're partially dried. speaking of which, I need to do mine this weekend, I have roots showing.
Four words.... Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
Great for counter tops. :thumbsup:

tootie44
08-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I think it is beautiful! Great color choice!

PaperGirl
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
It looks awesome!

I want to do something like that, but I promised DH no more hair dying till all the past colors have grown out.

kbagel
08-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I love your hair! Mine is darker than that but I used to have bright red streaks too...here are some tips because that color fades fast! Make sure you wash with some kind of really super duper gently color safe shampoo. I used Paul Mitchell Color Care because I bought a bottle on clearance at a beauty supply store and my hair stylist recommended it, I'm sure other brands are just as good. I also used to wash my hair in cold water, it's supposed to help seal cuticle theoretically making your color last longer. I'm sure you figured this one out already, use a dark, cheap towel to dry your hair. My mom was so pissed when I ruined one of her good towels with red streaks that bled from my hair.

Even with all the upkeep, I'm thinking of doing it again.

Silver
08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
I love your hair! Mine is darker than that but I used to have bright red streaks too...here are some tips because that color fades fast! Make sure you wash with some kind of really super duper gently color safe shampoo. I used Paul Mitchell Color Care because I bought a bottle on clearance at a beauty supply store and my hair stylist recommended it, I'm sure other brands are just as good. I also used to wash my hair in cold water, it's supposed to help seal cuticle theoretically making your color last longer. I'm sure you figured this one out already, use a dark, cheap towel to dry your hair. My mom was so pissed when I ruined one of her good towels with red streaks that bled from my hair.

Even with all the upkeep, I'm thinking of doing it again.
Thanks for all the tips! I'll find some gentle shampoo, but Hubby is going to flip if I bring yet another shampoo into the shower. I already have like 6 bottles of stuff in there. LOL I can't go with a cheap towel though. I'm spoiled for my microfiber towels. I only use them on my hair because they don't cause unnecessary frizzing (or so they say anyway). I have to baby my curls so they don't freak out.:doh:

I didn't even consider that this color would need extra care. Good thing I'm already used to high maintenance hair! :teehee:

kbagel
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
My hair is almost as curly as yours...I should try the microfiber towels. I hate when it goes frizzy.

Rorshach
08-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Looking Good Kristin. :thumbsup:

stitchwitch
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Love that color! I'd do something like that but I'm afraid (very afraid) of what the white hair would turn out like. I don't want to look like one of those old ladies with pink or blue hair.

Denise in Michigan
08-23-2007, 04:44 PM
We'll have to rename you "Tonks"!

aineepooh1
08-24-2007, 12:29 AM
It's different but I like it~!:thumbsup:

Silver
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
We'll have to rename you "Tonks"!
As in Nymphadora? Cooooool. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Funny thing... I had some dye left over so I dyed my daughters hair too. After asking her multiple times if it was allowed at school. She said several of her friends had weird colors in their hair so naively added fuschia to her hair too.

Yesterday, I got a call from the principal. Sydney was in ISS because of her hair. :shock: Turns out they had just been told 2 days before that no "unnatural" hair color was allowed. :doh:She was so excited to get streaks in her hair, she "forgot". Riiiiight.

So we spent 3 hours yesterday bleaching and re-dying her hair. UGH. But it turned out great, and it didn't fry her hair. :thumbsup:

http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/albums/misc/syd_hair.jpg

For the record, yes, she got in trouble for "forgetting" about the rule. Although ISS was probably punishment enough. She's a good girl, never even gotten detention before. And I think the no unnatural hair color rule is STOOOOPID, but rules are rules and I believe in following the rules. Ironically, at her brother's school, they can do almost ANYTHING to their hair, but he goes to an art school. He doesn't do much to his hair though.

Knitting_Guy
08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
It suits you. Looks great.

msoebel
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Question: did you bleach the hair first to get such beautiful color?

My dh, and his friends Gooch and Tim are going to lose a bet very soon and will have to dye their hair and/or beards pink...I want to know what product to buy, something that won't require bleach, because they all have jobs and I don't want to make them do anything too permanent.

Misty

Silver
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Question: did you bleach the hair first to get such beautiful color?
No I used L'Oreal Color Rays (http://www.lorealparis.ca/en/haircolor/index_colour_rays.asp) in Fuschia. It's a one step color that leaves bright, noticeable color even on dark brown or black hair. :thumbsup:

But, it's permanent. The pink color will start to fade, but not wash out like a temporary. When it fades too much, I'll either do it again, or just dye my hair back to brunette.

Although I saw some real PINK hair dye at Sally's Beauty Supply yesterday..... :heart:

GiddyKnitter
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
You look fab it really suits you....I have my hair coloured every 5 weeks and never have the same colour twice!!

PaperGirl
08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Thats the same stuff my neighbor girl brought over here.

Now I want it.

I LOVE how it looks on you!

kemp
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Love that color! I'd do something like that but I'm afraid (very afraid) of what the white hair would turn out like. I don't want to look like one of those old ladies with pink or blue hair.

Yep...those of us with light hair have to be careful about what we put in it! You might never get it out again.

Silver-I can't belive that is a rule at your daughters school. Pretty soon they'll be policing everything. I'm shocked you were able to get the color out so well since her hair is so light. Maybe it was easier since it wasn't in long?

Gloriapike
08-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Oh wow, that is so neat. And it looks great on you! I have dark hair, so I'm interested in anything that gives noticeable, permanent results like that!

I recently tried dying my hair red with some stuff that was supposed to be permanent, but it washed out completely after about a week. :(

They had that rule about "no unnatural colors" at the highschool in my hometown, too, but luckily I was homeschooled so I could dye my hair any color I wanted. XD

Silver
08-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm shocked you were able to get the color out so well since her hair is so light. Maybe it was easier since it wasn't in long?
I first used "Color Zap" by L'oreal. It's supposed to removes all permanent hair color. But honestly it acted like any other color lifter, and left her hair pale, pale yellow. There were a few pink streaks left, and her roots were almost white! Afterwards used Garnier 100% Color which is a regular hair color, in a neutral tone. I'm just happy it turned out well. I did swatch tests with both products to make sure her hair wouldn't fry.

kemp
08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Good to know. If I ever get the urge to try something crazy like that again I can have color zap as a backup. Since my hair is so light I've had quite a few bad experiences with color.

PaperGirl
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Can I just add...

Silver, you dont look old enough to have a daughter that old! :noway:

You guys BOTH look(ed) great with the pink streaks!

mks22300
08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Very cool hair Silver, I loved the "Tonks" reference!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Sil, it's gorgeous!!!! The color looks great with your eyes. very secksay

BinkyKat
08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
I can not be a model with this butt. :ick:
:roflhard: ...at least you have butt, mine is sadly located in the wrong areas..:shock:

but Hubby is going to flip if I bring yet another shampoo into the shower. I already have like 6 bottles of stuff in there.

With the $ we save on dh's hair, I tell him that goes toward me using decent hair products. He essentially uses carpet shampoo, el cheapo...I use various types depending on the needs. How about getting a few generic bottles..dump them out and then put the various good one's in..then when you switch, no one will know! :thumbsup: i'm such a sinner:teehee:

auburnchick
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Just catching up on this thread. Silver, your daughter is just beautiful! Wasn't she the one who got the ring from the kid at school last year? I can certainly why he was smitten!

I, too, am a rule-follower, but I think that sometimes it just gets a little crazy. You had done such a tasteful job with her hair. Maybe you can color it again as soon as school lets out next May. Three months is long enough for it to grow out!

laikabear
08-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Silver, you are definitely the "cool mom!" Your hair looks awesome and too bad about your daughter's. You did a great job getting it back to normal though.

What a stupid rule. That is why I hated jr high and high school. What kind of a riot would pink/blue/green hair incite? I can see no cell phones, no Ipods, no clothes with vulgar language, but no pink hair??? Still, good for you for enforcing it.

dustinac
08-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Looks good!!

aww..to bad she had to dye it back...I just looked at our guide book and yep they can't dye their hair like that either...

I have blonde hair and decided one year I wanted to be that purplish color everyone was dying their hair... even though most were darker haired girls... boy did I mess up my hair... my 10.00 bottle job ended up costing a lot by the time the hair dresser got it looking right again... and then I ended up cutting my hair short cause it was sooo dry and frizzy...:teehee: since then I'm afraid to put anything but blonde highlights on my hair...

auburnchick
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Of course if you don't do the blonde highlights correctly...

I tried that myself one time and called my friend to come look at it (she lived in the same apartment building). She really tried hard not to laugh, but at least she gave me the name of her hairdresser.

$200 later, my hair was back to normal. You know it's bad when 1) the owner of the salon has to fix your hair because he doesn't trust anyone else to fix such a big mess, and 2) he calls everyone over to observe and help find one "normal" colored piece of hair. Plus, before I had gone in the place for my fix-it appt, my son had gotten really sick, and I had to take him to the doctor. I had put on a baseball cap, but you could still see strands with the horrible colors poking out.

Silver, your talent just absolutely amazes me. Your daughter is very lucky!

Silver
08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Thank you, thank you everyone. You're all so sweet! :)

Nathalie, yes, it was her that got the $3k ring. That boy is still calling her like every day even though she's told him she's not interested. I think I might have to get DH to have some words with him! But such is live with a pretty daughter. I know it's only going to get worse. It's a good thing I can color my own hair. When the grays start popping up everywhere, I can take care of them myself. LOL

SabrinaJL
08-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Can I just add...

Silver, you dont look old enough to have a daughter that old! :noway:

I have to agree with that. Your hair is very cool and you and your daughter are both beautiful. :thumbsup:

JessicaR
08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I had the box in my hand yesterday and chickened out. What is wrong with me?! I had every hair color in high school and loved it. I don't know what my deal is... omg am I getting OLD???

Silver
08-28-2007, 06:48 PM
I had the box in my hand yesterday and chickened out. What is wrong with me?! I had every hair color in high school and loved it. I don't know what my deal is... omg am I getting OLD???
OMG.. GO BACK and get it, and do it. It'd look awesome in your black hair!!

Jeremy
08-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I hope they worry as much about what's in the student's head at that school as they do about what's on it.:shrug:

Silver
08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I hope they worry as much about what's in the student's head at that school as they do about what's on it.:shrug:
They do.. it's a really good school. Which is why I don't mind so much. I just think it's a stupid rule.

But the good thing is that they're as strict about dress codes as they are about hair colors. So there aren't a bunch of girls showing off their navels, or a bunch of boys showing off their boxers. :thumbsup: