PDA

View Full Version : which method do you prefer

jberry16
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I just got my schacht hi-lo spindle the other day and the lady at the lys told me to start using it as a bottom whorl, but I think it'd be easier to keep the spin going by using it as a top whorl (I practiced lots with a leader-alone) and was just curious which one y'all prefered and why. Thanks.

Jess_knit
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, I started with a bottom whorl, and it was ok...but then I decided, hey why not try the top whorl, and it was FAR easier for me. With the bottom, I had to constantly keep twirling it with my fingers. When you use a top whorl, you can do the thigh roll to get it going, and it spins much faster and longer than finger twisting alone. I can get my yarn much thinner when I use top whorl. There's also a lot more instruction for spinning with a top whorl.

Hope that helps!

yarnfreak
08-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I've never used a bottom whorl, but I cannot imagine things to be much easier than the top whorl I do use.

IamtheWalter
08-24-2007, 05:23 AM
I prefer using high whorl spindles for a bunch of reasons:

It's what I learned on and what I'm used to
I prefer thigh rolling my spindles and find that it's easier to do on a high whorl
Many low whorl spindles for some reason don't have a hook and having to do the whole half hitch thing annoys me
Having to wrap the yarn around the shaft on hooked low whorls also annoys me

It's a personal preference, though it does seem that most people today use high whorl spindles.
I personally think that a high whorl spindle would be easier to learn on because you can park and draft on it easier: just catch the shaft in your legs to keep it from spinning the other way, draft some, spin the spindle, repeat.
Everyone's different though, so give both a try

jberry16
08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
thanks everyone, I've tried the bottom first and still think it'd be easier with the top. I played for a long time with a leader yarn; maybe tomorrow I'll play with it as a top whorl. I'll post pics of my first spin later.

chillawilla
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I voted for high-whorl as that's what I use most. Having the yarn wound on below the whorl seems to give me better control and a neater looking spindle.

My two bottom whorl spindles are great when I'm spinning up a lot of something though. They are my heavier ones and can hold more.

jberry16
08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
here's the pics of my first spinning! This is addicting.

Jess_knit
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Beautiful yarn! What kind of fiber is that?

jberry16
08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Beautiful yarn! What kind of fiber is that?
Thank you. It says teesdale on my reciept, but I don't even know what that is, anyone?

Jess_knit
08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Googling it says it's a type of sheep (Teeswater) indigenous to Teesdale, which is in England. It says they have good locks for spinning.

Teeswater Sheep (http://www.susansfibershop.com/Teeswater.htm)

:)

mrslevite
09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
here's the pics of my first spinning! This is addicting.Hey, that looks like the spindle I bought yesterday! :) But your yarn looks much better than mine. But I'm pretty much hooked. Love it!