PDA

View Full Version : My Sterling silver yarn is here! - I CAST ON! Pg5

Silver
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
WOW.. just WOWOWOWOWOW! It's sooo silky soft! And sparkly! Just breathtaking. The prettiest yarn I've ever had...:woohoo:

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC00783.JPG (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/albums/misc/DSC00783.JPG)

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC00786.JPG (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/albums/misc/DSC00786.JPG)

*CLICK the pix for full size!*

So.. now for the pressure of designing the perfect sock pattern to do it justice... :think:

ETA: I have to admit, I'm not sold on writing a sock pattern. I almost couldn't bear to put this yarn on my feet, let alone into shoes... How about a scarf/wrap??

Kaydee
08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
It looks so pretty, I can't wait to see pics of it knitted up!!

Lady Violet
08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
:figureditout:
if you make some fingerless gloves, you can wear them while you're knitting (if you're not too busy ogling them :wink:) and have that wonderful sterling softness at your fingertips!

candicane
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I vote for a slouchy hat (that you send to me). I am very jealous of your yarn!

candice

bip
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Not to hijack this topic, but speaking of socks, they did socks on Knitty Gritty this week (maybe a rerun, I only got the channel last week). I was shocked that you weren't the guest, Silver! Please tell me they at least invited you to do it?

The woman they had was good, I'm not knocking her. I'm just saying that for as many people you have taught socks, they should have at least mentioned your tutorial.

And returning to the silver yarn, how cool!

Carla1019
08-23-2007, 02:45 PM
:heart::inlove::heart:I love that yarn.. You have a better picture of it here then I have seen of it on the web..:drool:

I vote on a wrap or something like that.. At least people will see it then. Sock..NO way..

cheesiesmom
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
:pout: I want some! I love silver. A wrap/shrug/shawl would be pretty if you have enough yardage.

Gladys

jeanius80
08-23-2007, 03:43 PM
ok ok ok ....no socks... a very pretty ...
hmmm.. stole/wrap or maybe a scarf....
beautiful photos, much better than any other i have seen!

LauraD
08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Ooooh! I like the idea of fingerless gloves:-) very yummy!

PaperGirl
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
:drool: That is SOOOOOOOOOO purdy!

And yeah...on the Knitty Gritty, I DVRd it, and I was watching with dd, and I was telling that woman..."Ha ha. Silver is better!" :roflhard:

Mulderknitter
08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I say rainy day scarf. that way those little silver bits poking out won't be a bother against your skin, and everyone can see it!

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm holding out for the gold.

Mulderknitter
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm holding out for the gold.
You made me laugh so hard I snorted, DH said "what" I said you wouldn't get it"

MrsAbi
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Oh man! I was so looking forward to the most awesome sock pattern ever, but I agree, it would probably be better in a wrap.

BinkyKat
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
First...thanks for showing a pic of the yarn. Bad enough you TOLD us about it...now I have to add this to my *I really NEED this* list:doh: :teehee:

Second...I vote for a shawl or writlets.. perhaps some of those nifty ruffly type peek-out-of-the-end-of-your-sleave type off cuffs. Or...how about a combo scarf/hood loose cowl type of thing. With your beautiful hair and pretty face it would frame it like a halo doncha think????:thumbsup:

jeanius80
08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
oh binky that would be very pretty!

Debbie
08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking bikini ... I live in Florida too ... and ... chances of being able to wear any kind of wrap or gloves are next to none! The yarn is BEAUTIFUL!

jeanius80
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
a pretty tank top!

cinnamon_girl
08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I like BinkyKat's idea, a really beautiful hooded cowl/scarf. Very elegant, very mysterious, very Dr. Zhivago. Then of course, you'd need a new winter coat to compliment that beautiful knitted creation and new winter boots.....

Beautiful yarn!!!!!!

Shandeh
08-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I think that since you're so good at making socks, you should make GLOVES with this yarn. Same kind of dpn work, just smaller.

Opera Gloves (http://www.sweaterscapes.com/glove-pattern.htm)
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/images/opera-gloves.jpg

There's a nice pattern you can buy, called the "Essence Glove" here:
http://web.mac.com/vsever/iWeb/HeartlandKnits/MittensGloves.html
http://web.mac.com/vsever/iWeb/HeartlandKnits/MittensGloves_files/EssenceGlove.png

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
why not make yourself a nice lace shawl??? something that you can show it off instead of hide in shoes

DQ
08-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Ooooooooh PRETTY yarn! I like BinkyKats idea :yay:

Silver
08-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Not to hijack this topic, but speaking of socks, they did socks on Knitty Gritty this week (maybe a rerun, I only got the channel last week). I was shocked that you weren't the guest, Silver! Please tell me they at least invited you to do it? ....
Nope, no invite, no contact, nothing. Blah.:pout: But in their defense, if it's the same sock episode I've seen, I think that was done a couple years ago. I don't think my sock class was quite as popular as it is now. And wasn't the knitter a personal friend of Vicky's? I can't compete with personal friends! :teehee: But maybe they'll want to do another sock show.....

First...thanks for showing a pic of the yarn. Bad enough you TOLD us about it...now I have to add this to my *I really NEED this* list:doh: :teehee::thumbsup:
Sorry, it's just payback for all the Malabrigo posts which made me finally cave and order some (which is in the mail as I type!)

Second...I vote for a shawl or writlets.. perhaps some of those nifty ruffly type peek-out-of-the-end-of-your-sleave type off cuffs. Or...how about a combo scarf/hood loose cowl type of thing. With your beautiful hair and pretty face it would frame it like a halo doncha think????:thumbsup:
Awwww aren't you a sweetie. :inlove: It's a lovely idea, but I have to be honest, I would never wear a head scarf.

I'm thinking bikini ... I live in Florida too ... and ... chances of being able to wear any kind of wrap or gloves are next to none! The yarn is BEAUTIFUL!
HAHAHAHA I know what you mean. But if winter falls on a weekend this year, if I knit a scarf or something, I can wear it out!!

Silver
08-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I have an idea of what to knit with it. I need to rummage though some old patterns though... I'll let you know....

If not, I really like the gloves idea. Maybe a lacy scarf and gloves set. I have 840 yards!

Debbie
08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
You are right ... it would be worth it to have something that yummy to wear that one day.

Silver
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah, and maybe I'll get lucky and get to wear it two days. I think winter lasted about 3 days last year, didn't it?

chillawilla
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
The Kraemer factory is barely 10 minutes from my house. It's a wicked bit of debit card damaging temptation.:inlove:

Been looking at the Silver for some time...a shawl I think. It's too pretty to hide in shoes. A hat, scarf, and glove set would be my second choice. Something to show off.

So what's yours to be?

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Silver,

HOw about a pair of LACY SOCKS to wear out, and A Shawl To Match! ???

Brrlracinbt
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Are you going to dye it? I bought it about 3 weeks ago at my LYS and dyed it PINK! I love it! I am making lacey socks.

Silver
08-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I thought about dying it... pink in fact, but ultimately decided to stay with the natural. Natural wool has always been my favorite anyway, although pink is a very, very close second!

So, regarding my idea, I have a bunch of old hand written patterns from a lady who's stash of knitting supplies were bought by me via ebay. It was from an estate sale, and very early in my knitting career I bought the entire lot with much excitement.

Her stuff was what I first started seriously knitting with and I think of her as my mentor although I never met her, she's probably been gone for a while now. But her name was Eleanor Morgan. I have since passed on a lot of the tools I bought, but I kept ALL of her hand written patterns because they're priceless.

I have looked through all her old patterns and can not find anything lacy, unfortunately. It was my idea to take a lacy pattern and alter it into a shawl and dedicate it to her.

But, since I can't find anything suitable, that idea is moot. However, whatever I do, I will name it "Dear Eleanor"...

Carla1019
08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
What a lovely thought.

I also bought alot of needle from an estate sale on e-bay. I alway wanted to know more about the lady who had the needles, but never found out. When I use them I do think of my Grandmother who knitted but I didn't start until after she died.

zip
08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
It's beautiful. Is there enough for a lacy cardigan? Something to wear indoors when the a/c is too cold.

GiddyKnitter
08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Do you think it may itch your feet those little bits of silver?
It looks lovely I bet you can't wait to get started!

kristinw
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
That yarn is gorgeous. Have you seen these (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/womens-lace-gloves-no-626) on Ravelry?? I thought of them right away. They are vintage and it looks like someone made a fingerless pair too.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will come out great!

Carla1019
08-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Why can't I see what is on Ravelry. is it becasue I am not a member? That is the second time someone has posted a link to Ravelry that I can't view. can someone tell me how to b/c a viewer...not a bloger.

kristinw
08-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Why can't I see what is on Ravelry. is it becasue I am not a member? That is the second time someone has posted a link to Ravelry that I can't view. can someone tell me how to b/c a viewer...not a bloger.

Yup. Unfortunately only members will be able to go to the link :(

kristinw
08-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Here (http://www.knitting-crochet.com/images/lacglopic2-2.jpg) is a link to the actual pattern :)

Silver
08-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Do you think it may itch your feet those little bits of silver?
Whenever I get a new yarn, I first hold it up to my neck. In this case, I unwound the hank and draped it around my neck. My neck is very sensitive and even if a yarn feels buttery soft to my hands, it might feel like steel wool on my neck, so it's a good test, IMHO.

Sterling is so soft, I barely feel anything on my neck at all. Maybe a teeny bit of prickly-ness, but overall, it's REALLY soft and gentle. The silver is so incredibly fine, it does not feel like a metal at all. I think this yarn is soft enough for a baby, let alone feet! :thumbsup:

mulene
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
mmm that looks gorgeous. I also use silver jewelery a lot - am not into gold tones at all. This stuff looks yummylicious and you've made me want to try it!

lissalue
08-24-2007, 07:55 PM

you would have to join, just the same as anyone else. you don't have to blog to be a member. it is an excellent organizational tool. i really like it, and the only blog i have is here. :teehee:

BinkyKat
08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I like Shandeh's long opera gloves idea...very vintage!
True Sil, wraps around the head can be lovely, but can very easily make one look like they are about to flee Poland. :roflhard:
Isn't it fun to the THE perfect yarn to dedicate toward the ulitimate project?:thumbsup:

zip
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Whenever I get a new yarn, I first hold it up to my neck. In this case, I unwound the hank and draped it around my neck. My neck is very sensitive and even if a yarn feels buttery soft to my hands, it might feel like steel wool on my neck, so it's a good test, IMHO.

Sterling is so soft, I barely feel anything on my neck at all. Maybe a teeny bit of prickly-ness, but overall, it's REALLY soft and gentle. The silver is so incredibly fine, it does not feel like a metal at all. I think this yarn is soft enough for a baby, let alone feet! :thumbsup:

cameeesoooole. :heart: I mean... camisole.

KnittingNat
08-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I think the yarn is gorgeous and it would make a lovely shawl! I told DH about it and what's the first thing he says? "If it has silver in it, then it's a conductor, which means you should be really careful wearing garments made with this yarn". I laughed at first, but doesn't he have a point:shrug:?

chillawilla
08-25-2007, 05:04 PM
It's ok. They are just tiny unconnected bits that won't create a complete circuit. You'd be fine!

Unless it was wet. That might be bad.

Ok, he has a little point. ;)

IamtheWalter
08-26-2007, 04:42 AM
I wonder if the silver has a protective coating since a tarnished yarn would definitely be a challenge to clean.

Silver
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I cast on!!

I finally decided on what to knit with it. Way back when I was a new knitter, someone showed me a book on Orenburg lace. I though it was beautiful but didn't think I would ever be able to knit something so intricate. But now that I can, I think it's the perfect thing to knit with this yarn and dedicate it to my knitting mentor and muse, Mrs. Eleanor Morgan.

I'm using the patterns in The Gossamer Webs Collection book to make a scarf/stole. I don't know what it will look like when it's finished, but it's starting out well enough! :happydance:

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/wip/image/425/DSC00794.JPG

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/wip/image/425/DSC00795.JPG

Updated: Nevermind, I'm frogging and doing something else...

dreamsherl
08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Lovely, can't wait to see the finished piece. :yay:

DQ
08-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Ooh, so far so good! :notworthy:

Carla1019
08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
That is look so pretty so far....

KnittingNat
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Silver, do you know we share the same dream :teehee:? I'm :drool: all over this book for months now... I even got some shetland cobweb for that... Pity is you can't really get the real yarn they use for the Orenburg shawls - they use goat yarn and not sheep. There are also traditional ways to bleach the yarn with roots of some trees... My FIL told he went to Orenburg and to Urupinsk, where every woman and girl knit. He told me that even 5-year old were knitting and the market was full of these gorgeous shawls and in Soviet times they were expensive and the girls were knitting to save money to buy appliances and other things for the home when they get married. He also told me that many men there knew how to knit and while the women would knit the most intricate part of the shawl, men would knit the edge.

Have fun knitting :cheering:!

walmin22
08-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Wow it looks so pretty! Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Shandeh
08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
GORGEOUS!
:thud:

Silver
08-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Nevermind. I'm frogging the orenburg lace. It's not as exciting as I thought it would be. :verysad:

And it was before I saw the lace patterns at Knitspot. I can't decide between Morning Glories (http://www.knitspot.com/?p=382) and the Honeybee stole (http://www.knitspot.com/?p=443). I think I love Honeybee more, but I'll have to make it shorter because I only have 840 yards of Sterling. :think:

Shandeh
08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Awww! :pout:
But it was so PURTY! :verysad:

PaperGirl
08-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I looked at some of those patterns....OMG..they are GORGEOUS!

Im loving the Bee Fields, or the Ostrich Plumes..

Stonington
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I love Honeybee. Both are beautiful of course. But Honeybee is so delicate--perfect for your new silver yarn.
anne

dustinac
08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I love her patterns... any would be pretty... I really like the honey bee :teehee:

Kaydee
08-27-2007, 01:44 PM
I really like the honey bee too!

Silver
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I do love her patterns. I bought 5 patterns last night. Honeybee, Morning Glory, Bee Fields, Obstacles, and Orchid. *sigh* I love delicate and intricate lace. :heart:

I decided on the Honeybee Stole for my Sterling yarn. I even ordered another skein of it so I don't have to skimp on the size. Given that it's the natural undyed color, I'm hoping there's no discernable color difference between the 3.

I feel soooo good about this stole. I love the pattern, and I couldn't knit my Sterling into something that I didn't really, really L:heart:VE.

PaperGirl
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I cannot WAIT to see how it turns out!

Silver
08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/wip/image/425/DSC00797.JPG

KnittingNora
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
That is so pretty - and so delicate! It's lovely.

Shandeh
08-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Love it!:heart: