PDA

View Full Version : Bay Rum

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I love the stuff. It's my all time favorite aftershave and I think it's a good, spicy, manly smell. The girly, perfume smelling stuff most guys use today just can't compare for me.

I'm an old fashioned wet shaver. I use nice shaving soaps or creams and a badger hair shaving brush along with an old fashioned razor that uses old fashioned flat double edge blades.

I do use Feather blades, which are from Japan and are the sharpest razor blades in the world. The Feather company used to make swords but in the modern age they switched to surgical and shaving blades. They know a thing or two about sharp blades.

Today I used a nice rose scented shaving soap and finished off with a splash of Bay Rum aftershave. Man, I love the smell of that Bay Rum!

If you'd like to buy your guy a nice inexpensive gift order him a bottle and let him try it. It used to be THE aftershave to use before the flowery, girly stuff came along (I'll never understand why it lost ground to them).

Be prepared though, it is a strong, spicy scent. Most men really like it but women are somewhat mixed. Some like it some don't. But ya never know if ya don't try eh? I'm sure he'll like it even if you don't.

sinistral_needler
08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Is that anything like Old Spice? Or is Old Spice too 'dorky'? {if there were a dorky or nerdy smiley, I would put that here} I always liked it .. what can I say, my preferences are for more classic things. :mrgreen: I am old beyond my 30 years.

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Is that anything like Old Spice? Or is Old Spice too 'dorky'? {if there were a dorky or nerdy smiley, I would put that here} I always liked it .. what can I say, my preferences are for more classic things. :mrgreen: I am old beyond my 30 years.

I think Old Spice was an attempt to do something similar to Bay Rum but they're pretty different. Bay Rum has been around a lot longer and was once the only aftershave men used.

I like the smell of Old Spice but it seems to sour on me due to my body chemistry.

I am also quite fond of the classics, which is probably why I shave with an old fashioned Gillette razor and always wear a hat in public. Heck, I even carry a tube of Brylcreem in my dop kit.

Jeremy
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
My old barber used to use bay rum after he shaved my neck. I don't have such an elaborate shaving ritual, just an electric razor. I don't use aftershave.

Stiney
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh. Aftershave. :verysad:

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
My old barber used to use bay rum after he shaved my neck. I don't have such an elaborate shaving ritual, just an electric razor. I don't use aftershave.

It's still a staple in old fashioned style barbershops. My barber still uses it. He also still gives old fashioned straight razor shaves too.

I never cared for electrics. My beard is far too heavy and tough for an electric.

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh. Aftershave. :verysad:

Well, you probably could drink it, but I wouldn't recommend it. :fingerwag:

Stiney
08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, you probably could drink it, but I wouldn't recommend it. :fingerwag:

I was hoping for a thread about a new kinda rum. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
For me the whole wet shaving thing is a way for a guy to pamper himself a bit. It changes shaving from a bad, must do sort of thing into a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

I haven't had razor burn since I started wet shaving. Those nasty cartridge things are just terrible and always gave me a rash. My old fashioned razor is sharper, gives a closer shave, and doesn't make a rash.

I have shaving soaps/creams in numerous scents including West Indies Limes (my favorite), Sandalwood, Rose, Coconut, Trafalgar, and Eucalyptus (an Italian cream called Proraso). They're all imported.

Knitting_Guy
08-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I kinda figured. :rofl:

stitchwitch
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM

I know, me too!!!:woohoo:Of course, after my last episode with rum I should probably not go there. :clink:

BinkyKat
08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
One of my favorite smells and fondest memories is of my dad's Old Spice...I'll have to check out the Bay Rum for hubbo. Dad always shaved with a brush and soap. He had an Old Spice soap mug for years until it got broken and I gave him a handmade pottery mug for Father's Day. When he died, I kept the mug and old brush and the last drop in a bottle of Old Spice. I used to give him some every Christmas my whole life...in later years it was kind of a lark, but he asked for a new bottle every year. My brother recently thought it would be nice to use soap and a brush and I found some and then found an Old Spice mug at an antique shop. I gave it to him this Father's Day and my sister in law secretly told me that he got teary eyed at bedtime that night:wink:
Dad used to give my grandpa good old fashioned hot towel, straight edge type shaves when he was in the nursing home. It made him feel so much better.
And I think that a good clean smelling man is super hot!:eyebrow:

mrs desert rain
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
my DH isn't much into aftershave (per se; he uses witch hazel), but i love, love, love it when he shaves with a real razor! so clean, and so manly! :eyes:

dakatzmeow
08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
i haven't made shaving soap in awhile, mason. what do you like in a shaving soap besides dense, creamy lather. does clay help?

(btw, i make bar soap, not cream/foam soap.)

debinoz
08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
My Dad used to use Old Spice too. I remember one year us kids got together all our pennies and bought him a bottle of stuff that was supposed to be the best... Hai Karate!! Man, that stuff stank!!

Knitting_Guy
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
i haven't made shaving soap in awhile, mason. what do you like in a shaving soap besides dense, creamy lather. does clay help?

(btw, i make bar soap, not cream/foam soap.)

Clay? I have no idea what goes into the stuff but can't imagine it containing clay. Most of the soaps these days are like a hard gelatin type soap. I buy those as well as tubes of cream which seem to work into a thicker lather.

The most important aspect is good lubricity, but a nice lather and scent are good.

Knitting_Guy
08-24-2007, 08:04 AM
My Dad used to use Old Spice too. I remember one year us kids got together all our pennies and bought him a bottle of stuff that was supposed to be the best... Hai Karate!! Man, that stuff stank!!

Yeah that stuff was awful.

sinistral_needler
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Uhm .... YES!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing is better than a manly-smelling man. :woot::inlove::heart::inlove::heart::inlove:

Chel
08-24-2007, 10:50 AM

I have had guys walk by and make my knees go weak just from the way they smell. My all time favorite was when we went out and Daniel wore Swiss Army. Lord we danced extra close those evenings. I love that smell. I haven't been able to find it in a longgggg time. I also loved to watch him shave. So many things I miss like that.

cheesiesmom
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Recently, my husband wanted some cologne and picked up a bottle of Old Spice. He smelled gawd awful. I don't remember it being that bad when my Dad used it. Maybe they've changed the formulation.

I shop from a little catalog/online store www.vermontcountrystore.com and they carry all sorts of stuff like bay rum, razor blades, shaving soap, etc. I think they carry Hai Karate, too. But my favorite was the English Leather I always bought my DH.

Mason, my older brothers and dad all had brush cuts and they used to share this humongous pump jar of Brylcreem. (Replenished frequently.) And then to make sure the front of the brush cut stood up properly, they used Butch Wax. I don't think the boys had to worry about to many women running their fingers through they hair. LOL!:rofl:

Gladys

Knitting_Guy
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
A little dab'll do ya.

IBAmyB
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
My dad uses shaving soap and a bristle brush. He doesn't use aftershave, but I love the smell of his shaving soap. I don't remember the brand, but every Christmas my mom buys a couple of cakes of it for him (puts it in his stocking), though they are getting harder and harder to find!

When we were younger whenever my (6-year younger) cousin would visit us she would love to watch my dad shave (her own dad was out of the picture when she was just a baby). I have fond memories of hearing Linsday giggle as my dad dabbed shaving cream on her face with his bristle brush and let her "shave" it off.

Maybe I should get him a nice "handsome" shaving set for Christmas? (Right now he uses an old life insurance mug from when he worked for the company in the late '70s!) I'll look for the Bay Rum as well! :thumbsup:

IBAmyB
08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I shop from a little catalog/online store www.vermontcountrystore.com (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com) and they carry all sorts of stuff like bay rum, razor blades, shaving soap, etc.

I :heart: that store! They have some really great older stuff you can't find any longer, plus some neat other stuff! (DH's grandma loves their "Tired Old *** Soak (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8870&itemType=PRODUCT&KickerID=3549&KICKER)". For Christmas my mom and grandma got us their sock monkey sheets. DH loves sock monkeys! :teehee: It's a family thing. Everyone one in has family has one. His grandpa has Ernie, his mom Ernie Jr, and DH has Ernie III... and his sister also has an Ernie, though DH had to disown him. He was my husband's and my sister-in-law "stole" him. She insits he was actully hers, DH disagrees... I also have sock monkey PJs (2 sets), a sock money robe, sock money slippers, and a total of 3 sets of different sock monkey sheets! I have sent DH sock monkey gretting cards (Valentine's, anniversary, etc) over this past year when he has been in Iraq and I am thinking of making him this scarf (http://www.sockmonkeyfun.com/Goodies_4_Sock_Monkey.html) (though leave off the words....)

BinkyKat
08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
A little dab'll do ya.
So, you're not a Fop fella or a Dapper Dan man? :teehee:

When I go to visit db and family, and he gets all cleaned up when we go out for supper, I have to remind myself that the hot guy smell I sense is my brother~:oops::teehee:

My father in law never shaves and had to once due to a cancerous mole he had to have removed. He blames the Navy for his perpetual beard. The man has beautiful skin. Except for the mole, the beard must protect it from the elements. Anyhoo, dh didn't know what a styptic pencil was for and I honestly thought all men who shaved had one. Heck, I had one for those nicks on my legs. He thought it was ingenious! :teehee:

Jessica
08-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Um... I have no idea what this thread is about, but I wanted to say to Mason. I drove to Penn. in my semi this weekend and I thought of you, so I waved at every trucker I saw on the road thinking that, maybe somehow, one of them would be you, although I dont think any were:shrug: But if a girl in a toter with a Skippers Racing trailer waves at you ever, its me!!! And my, my, you truckers have potty mouths:teehee:

newamy
08-26-2007, 09:14 PM
My husband doesn't care for any fragrance. He won't wear after shave and if I happen to put on cologne he doesn't really like that either.
Lately he's been shaving with shaving oil because it lasts a long time, is very small and portable-for when he travels. One advantage is it does have a nice mild shaving sent, so hah! He has some frangrance on for awhile. In an effort to cut down on shaving cream cans he used shaving soap before that.

Knitting_Guy
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
A lot of guys prefer the shaving oil, I've never cared for it.

And my, my, you truckers have potty mouths:teehee:

Not all of us. It's usually the trashy drivers (the minority) you hear on the CB, the rest of us just keep quiet and listen for traffic/accident reports and let the trashy truckers act like the children they are. We don't call channel 19 "Sesame Street" for nothing.

They're easy to spot in the truckstops too. They're the ones wearing sweat pants or filthy jeans/shorts and nasty looking tee shirts with holes in them and look/smell like they haven't had a shower or changed clothes in a month.

In case you can't tell, the rest of us don't think very highly of them.

Denise in Michigan
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
My dad uses shaving soap and a bristle brush. He doesn't use aftershave, but I love the smell of his shaving soap. I don't remember the brand, but every Christmas my mom buys a couple of cakes of it for him (puts it in his stocking), though they are getting harder and harder to find! (...)

Maybe I should get him a nice "handsome" shaving set for Christmas? (Right now he uses an old life insurance mug from when he worked for the company in the late '70s!) I'll look for the Bay Rum as well! :thumbsup:

You might want to check out:
http://www.caswellmassey.com/jump.jsp?itemID=78&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C8

IBAmyB
08-28-2007, 02:35 PM
You might want to check out:
http://www.caswellmassey.com/jump.jsp?itemID=78&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C8

Excellent! That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thank you!:cheering:

ETA: Oooh! They have shea butter soaps! My dad and I both have eczema and shea butter helps! (It's funny, all the lotions in my parents' bathroom are my dad's!)