PDA

View Full Version : For the amateur Baker: A Substitution List

Krystal
08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I love to cook and bake on a whim. This happens at LEAST once a week. I always have on hand a good supply of the staples... Sugar (white/brown/powdered), Flour, Baking Powder and Soda, Cocoa... And I try to keep a good supply of nuts and chocolate chips and random others on hand...

But there always comes a time I wanna try something new, and of course I don't have one or 2 items... Sometimes I plow ahead and hope for the best. Tonight I did a search for a substitution list. and came across...

THIS (http://www.dhss.mo.gov/npe_pdfs/NS_WhatCanIUseInstead.pdf) (pdf)

I wish I had looked it up sooner, but it has already helped me with a pie I want to make tonight...

I figured there is bound to be some others like me who can find a use in that list. Pass it on, and enjoy baking!:heart::heart:

Jan in CA
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
That's cool, thanks!

mum2caden
08-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I bake constantly- at LEAST every other day, and a lot of the time i bake a few things the same day. Thank you so much for this list, I've printed it and put it up on my fridge! And I will definitely share it with my other baking friends as well...

zkimom
08-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for posting that very helpful link!

Just spent the evening baking cupcakes for my dd's 9th birthday -- didn't need substitutes tonight but there have been so many other times I did.

Best,
Susan