PDA

View Full Version : Stop the ear pain !!

vaknitter
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I am looking for suggestions to prevent rupturing an ear drum when I fly to CA from VA in a couple of weeks... I have had ear pain for going on 8 wks now. Started out MD thought viral ear infection/labrynthitis and when I saw the ENT earlier this week he said he suspects eustation tube dysfunction for which he suggested Sudafed. I take Zyrtec and use Flonase daily for allergies and for 3 days now have taken sudafed and still ears are hurting/popping and in generally feeling yucky. I need any and all suggestions as I am broke from all the copays and can't bear the thought of getting on that airplane like this.....

Sharly
08-24-2007, 03:08 PM
:hug:I'm sorry to hear about your pain! I don't have a suggestion for you, but wanted to send you well wishes, anyway ;)

jberry16
08-24-2007, 03:13 PM
owie, I know they have ear drops at pharmacies, maybe that would help? sounds like an ear ache to me, we always got amoxacillin (sp) for that.

kbagel
08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe try a different over the counter allergy medicine. When I was first diagnosed with allergies I had syptoms similar to what you've described and it took over 6 months to find an allergy medicine that worked well for me. It could be as simple as trying Claritin (Loratidine) or Sudaphed PE, the kind with Phenylephrine instead of Pseudophedrine, in it. Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Belphoebe
08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm 37 years old and my ENT gave me an ear tube when I had similar symptoms. Now my ear is pain free.

vaknitter
08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Would you believe I ASKED for tubes - that's the major reason I went to the ENT and he seems to feel that it's overkill for my current situation !!!! I felt like asking for my co-pay back.

Guess I'll call my PCP back next week and raise holy heck until he does something.

Keep the suggestions coming

yarnfreak
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I've found that Afrin works to help clear out the junk in there. I'd say use with an allergy med, but you're doing that already. They have some wonderful ear drops that can be found over the counter. Maybe ask the pharmacy? Good luck. I've had ear problems all my life, I know how it stinks.

Limey
08-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi

I'm prone to going into the 'deafness' zone on planes and also with car journeys on steep-climbing roads in the Lake District.

I usually yawn and swallow and that brings my hearing back to normal.

If I were you, I'd definitely contact the ENT again - and please ask him/her if the yawn and swallow bit is okay.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

DQ
08-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Eurgh, I hope it gets better soon for you vaknitter :hug:

On the ear popping thing, sometimes if yawning doesn't work I hold my breath and hold my nose and then try and blow out of it...if you get what I mean!

Limey
08-25-2007, 04:59 PM
[quote=DQ;944282]Eurgh, I hope it gets better soon for you vaknitter :hug:

I hold my breath and hold my nose and then ...

Hi Jen

How many times do you have to be told not to carry too much at once?

All the Best

sugarfunpouch
08-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Try some distilled vinegar (distill with water) and put a few drops in your ears!

dustinac
08-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I have bad ear aches when my sinus get messed up on me... I took Allegra-D everyday but it still didn't help and I did take a nose spray from the dr as well... I was about to pour hot wax down my ears the last time to stop the pain but I went to my local pharmacist and asked for ear drops or anything... he suggested Severe Tylenol sinus to me... I tried that and it helped...also the sinucleanse (http://www.sinucleanse.com/) netipot does wonders... I haven't had the ear pain, teeth pain, or sickness since I started using that... and now I only take the Allegra when my seasonal allergies act up...

I hope you feel better soon...