PDA

View Full Version : What IS The SPOFTEST Yarn Anyone Has Used?

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi To All!

I'm looking for the SOFTEST Yarn anyone here has used. I keeo hunting for SOFT yarns, but not REALLL Expensive. :think:

It's kind iof hard. The softer they are, the more expensive they seem to be. :figureditout:

Thank You In Advance

Samsam
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
ohhman, my softest I bought yesterday at AC Moore.
Bernat's Bamboo..it's amazing and it was on sale. It doesn't have much yardage(about 69) but it's sooo soft. I made a headband out of mine..made the pattern up, if I get my hands on a camera I'll be happy to share it =)

Braden
08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Sheepsdown from Schoolhouse Press.

Silver
08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
The softest I've used is expensive. Jade Sapphire Cashmere Silk. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

There are some really soft acrylics though that are really affordable. Bernat has a new blend with 5% cashmere. I got to pet it at Joanns. Nice stuff for mostly acrylic!

zkimom
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
The softest yarn I've ever used is also expensive and cashmere. Lobster Pot Cashmere -- divine!

But then I think Debble Bliss Cashmerino is yummy soft and so is Rowan Cashsoft. It is a blend but soft and washable too.

Friskums
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Misti Baby Alpaca Chunky is the softest I've ever used. :drool:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
used: caron simply soft
bought but not used: Lionbrand Chenille thick and quick (can't find hte "right" pattern for it)

IBAmyB
08-24-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't have much selection here (a poorly stocked Wal-Mart), but I love Caron Simply Soft... the solid solors are SO soft... the varigateds, not to much.

Maybe I'll take a trip to the quilting shop tomorrow and see what they have in. (They have a small selection of yarns...)

Aello
08-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I would have to say for me it was Misti Baby Alpaca.

mulene
08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
OK I would say the softest I've used so far has to be the one OTN right now - Lana Grossa Soffice - its a Merino / Cashmere mix with a hint of acrylic thrown in to give it a bit of wear and tearability.

This stuff is SOO soft. The scarf I'm knitting with it is turning out well so far (The Inner Truth Scarf from Magknits), and I just love how the colour looks like it has been dip dyed. I hope the recipient likes this scarf, its for someone who deserves a very big thank you =D

I have also just received my Cashmere / Silk 8 ply from Posh Yarns. The colour quoted is called lilac but it looks more bluey to me. I love the colour and the feel of it so much, I'm going to make Silver's Palindrome scarf from it. It feels very soft and cuddly!

I've heard that Mmmmmmalabrigo is the softest yarn ever but I've never had the pleasure of touching it myself!

marykz
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
inexpensive and soft- Joanns sensations angel hair. I'm using it for a fuzzy sweater/skirt set for my DD and her doll. very squishy and fuzzy. (actually a little weird to work with, but is very plush.) IMHO, great for little girl sweaters, a little over the top for adult stuff. But, that's just me.

the nicest stuff I"ve used/worn is a cashmere or baby cashmerino. more expensive but worth it.

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 08:11 PM
SamSam,

That would be great. Thanks!

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Silver,

I would love to get my hands on some Cashmere. I keep looking for it.

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I think I need to fin some Baby Alpaca. :-) 2 people have mentioned. it

SusanMarie1956
08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Mulene,

That sounds wonderful! I bet the scarf turns out to be beautiful.

Your casheme sounds great also. A lady friend of mine is in the knitting group I'm ion. She bought some cashmere and brough it to the knitting group. We all got to see it. Ahhh! One of these days I'll buy some.

aineepooh1
08-24-2007, 08:36 PM
DB ( Debbie bliss) alpaca silk... ITS a DREAM~!:passedout:

rainberry
08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
The softest yarns I've used are Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and Caron Simply Soft.

bip
08-24-2007, 10:03 PM
They are different kinds of soft, but Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk is one and the other is the bargain basement cashmere I got on smileysyarns.com. I can only imagine what knitting with a pricier cashmere is like!

jeanius80
08-24-2007, 10:53 PM
malabrigo (http://www.fabulousyarn.com/fab_malabrigomer_ladrillovar.shtml) and suri alpaca (http://www.fabulousyarn.com/plymouth_main_surimerino.shtml)that i bought from fabulousyarns (http://www.fabulousyarn.com/).
one day i will try some cashmere. maybe even lobster pot! it would be so nice to have a cashmere sweater :heart:

geekgolightly
08-25-2007, 07:17 AM
They are different kinds of soft, but Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk is one and the other is the bargain basement cashmere I got on smileysyarns.com. I can only imagine what knitting with a pricier cashmere is like!

I think alpaca silk is the softest i've ever used as well. the cashmerino is springier, but alpaca silk felt softer to me.

the softest i've ever touched was a cashmere. of course!

GiddyKnitter
08-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Susan

I have to say the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino or Baby Cashmerino is just so soft and a dream to knit with.
I try lots of differant yarns thinking they are softer and always end up going back to Cashmerino!!!
Plus it is not too expensive and has good yardage. xxx

suzeeq
08-25-2007, 09:11 AM
The DB alpaca silk is very soft, and so is Knitpicks Elegance for about half the price. Caron SS and RH Soft are very soft for cheap yarns, as well as Hobby Lobby's baby yarn Soft Delight.

dustinac
08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Another vote for Misti Baby Alpaca...

I love their lace :happydance:

brendajos
08-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Misti Alpaca here too. The Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk is deliciously soft too. They both make me not love my malabrigo quite as much ater using it. :)

knovice
08-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Another vote here for the Misti Baby Alpaca. Sooo soft.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm surpised no one has mentioned Lion Microspun. Completely acrylic, cheap, and washable, but remarkably soft. Be careful, though, it tangles like a b*tch.

hunterjenn
08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Actually, Lion has a cashmere blend that's amazingly soft! I'd say it's a toss-up between that and the Misti Alpaca! :thud:

ChristinaKnits
08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
so far, Mmalabrigo and Bernat Bamboo!!!!

ArtLady1981
08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
1) "Jolie" angora
2) "Malabrigo" merino

IamtheWalter
08-26-2007, 03:54 AM
Dive teseo is a nice soft yarn, a half half wool microfiber acrylic blend yarn. Plus it has some really nifty colorways. It is prone to pilling though. It's not too expensive, about 6.50 for a 50gm skein.

I also second (third fourth fifth?) the baby alpaca. Misti baby alpaca is nice and I like plymouth baby alpaca grande though I wouldn't use that yarn for anything non felted since it's spun so loosely that whatever's made from it is practically guaranteed to grow over time.
I haven't tried plymouth's lighter weight baby alpaca yarns but my guess is that they're underspun too.

Alpaca has a reputation for feeling soft on the hands but prickly next to the skin, so always put the skein on a sensitive part of your skin to test for itchiness. I've seen some people use the underside of their wrist but I use the back of my neck.

I like lion microspun but it's so splitty and tends to pill. I also feel weird paying 4-5 dollars for a two and a half ounce skein of acrylic.

SusanMarie1956
08-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I'll be sure to check that out! Thank You!!!

ajp2181
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I vote for the bernat bamboo too. I just felt it today and it was so soft. I had to touch it a few times. I also like the lions brand micro spun. Very soft.

cftwo
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Misti Alpaca has been about the softest I've touched. I am working on a child's poncho with Red Heart Soft and it's very nice - and not nearly so expensive!

SusanMarie1956
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I haven't touche Re Heart Soft before, Just the plain Red Heart ( regular Red Heat) It was always so scratchy.

I love the feel of that Misti Alpaca. But so $$$$