PDA

View Full Version : Tyrolean Stockings Q?

jeanius80
08-24-2007, 10:32 PM
hey all you expert sock knitters! I need your help!

I'd like to knit the Tyrolean Stockings (http://www.interweaveknits.com/galleries/bonus/fall2007/budd.asp)from the most recent Interweave Knits issue. the pattern seems to call for a light worsted/dk yarn. the yarn i'd like to use is app. 430 yds/4 oz (about the same weight as Lorna's Laces) :zombie:can i follow the pattern as written using size 3 mm needles? Thanks:??

eta- it also calls for 'old norwegian caston'. i have a terrible time with this.. can i do a simpler cast-on or is this one necessary for this pattern?

tulokyn
08-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Lorna's Laces has a lot of different yarn weights. Which yarn are you using?

One concern about using a thinner yarn for a sock pattern is how loose the fabric will be. You want a nice, dense fabric so that it won't wear out so quickly, and so that you can't feel all the little purl bumps grinding on the soles of your feet.

If your dead set on using this yarn with this pattern and it is actually thinner, you may want to consider using extra purl stitches, or adding a twisted rib or something in between cables or somewhere else that it'll sneak in and look okay.