PDA

View Full Version : Photographing red yarn

AnnaT
08-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi,

Is there a trick to taking pictures of a red WIP? I have tried to take a picture of my very red Besotted scarf WIP and the color is coming out oversaturated, I guess you'd say. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L1, if that helps. It's new and I probably haven't learned the best settings.

marykz
08-25-2007, 08:44 AM
red is very tricky- while I don't have that kind of camera,(I have an old Canon) I find I get the best pictures of WIP with the following conditions:
natural light
macro setting (on my camera it is a graphic of a tulip- good for closeups)
no flash

sometimes I take off the autofocus.

the flash can really screw up the colors so I really try to have lots of nice sunlight (i.e. outdoors). fluorescent lights also can alter color. if you have to shoot inside try to use incandescent light instead of fluorescent.

and I take a LOT of pictures then pick the best one when I look at them on the computer.

HTH

Knitting_Guy
08-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah red is a tough one. The above suggestions are very good ones. With red I usually wind up having to edit the photo in order to get the colors right.

dakatzmeow
08-25-2007, 10:53 AM
how about a black background taken outside in sunlight. late afternoon would probably be best.

Jan in CA
08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Some cameras let you adjust the saturation which may help, too. I find red very hard to photograph with a digital camera and I've been taking photos for years. :shifty:

Braden
08-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I always photograph reddish yarns outside, in natural lighting. I don't use a flash, and I almost always get it at least halfway right.

AnnaT
08-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Thank you, everyone. Lots of tips! :) I will try to take another picture of it this afternoon. I got a couple more pattern repeats done last night anyway.

I just got this Coolpix and haven't played much with it yet. I do have a better (I think, anyway) camera, a Sony Mavica which I love, but is too big to put in my purse, so I got the little Coolpix. Might try the Mavica later, too.

Rorshach
08-26-2007, 04:01 AM
If you have to use a flash, though, find out if your camera has an E.V. setting, and then set it to roughly -.7 Should cause the flash to fire late, and the camera will have used all available natural light first.