PDA

View Full Version : Spotty yarn?

SkyBluePink
08-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok, so I'm knitting with my Malabrigo Seleccion Privada (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=63979) and Houston, we have a problem. My yarn has not been completely dyed. There are light spots where the dye hasn't been applied properly and there are also WHITE spots where the dye didn't touch it. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem with light colored yarn. However, this is strongly-colored and variegated. I have knitted a little bit up to see if I am over-reacting and I'm not. It looks so freakin' goofy because of those light spots. I can't cut them out because it happened ALL over the skein. I haven't wound my other one to see if it has the same problem.

Any ideas on what to do about this?

suzeeq
08-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Contact whoever you bought it from and explain the problem. Hopefully you can exchange it for another, or they'll just send you one.

ArtLady1981
08-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Oooohhh, BEEN THERE DONE THAT! I bought several hundreds of yards of LOPI hand-dyed yarn from a State Fair 4 years ago. DARK EVERGREEN!

Same thing happened to me! Got the 2 fronts and back done with no problem...then...the next hanks were all wonky and spotted like your yarn!

What did I do???? Here is what I did!

I finished knitting the darn sleeves...but, before I seamed up the whole darn sweater, I bought some DARK EVERGREEN Rit Dye...dissolved some into a strong solution in a small bowl...took a Q-Tip and dipped it into the hot dye...and "painted" the spots GONE! Yup, it really did work! Really!

Can you try this?

I know it a little "out there"...but it really did work for me!
The dye did not wash out or dissappear when I had to handwash the sweater somewhere down the road...and no, I didn't get any dye on my blouse or arm when I wore it!

I just saturated the spots on the surface well enough so they blended in. I also tried using an artist's smallish paint brush, but between that and the Q-Tips, they works equally well. The paintbrush got down inbetween the stitches nice. The spots were lt lt green spots, but on the field of DARK EVERGREEN they looked as good as white!

kristinw
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Looking at the yarn on their site, that is how it is supposed to be. Every one they show has white spots.

marykz
08-25-2007, 07:56 PM
I think it is part of the nature of this yarn or their dying process. If you don't like it I;d do what Artlady suggests, or

Buy the permanent sharpies in the rainbow colors and "color in" the spots. From experience with a small mischevious child, I know sharpie doesn't wash out. And now it comes in a rainbow of colors!!

I now do the "coloring in" trick with any bleach stained clothes and 99% of the time you can't tell at all.