PDA

View Full Version : Tricot??

EssenceRose
08-27-2007, 06:46 AM
I've recently come across something called tricot when I was reading a knitting and crochet book. I was quite fascinated by this concept. Since I both knit and crochet, to find out that I could combine the two has me interested.

Only do you think I can find ANY other information on it, even in the big wide world of the internet?? Noooo... So I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies (and gentlemen) if you knew anything about it or where I could find out more information.

And funnily enough, as I was browsing my local craft store today for something entirely unrelated, I came across a bargain bin. In said bargain bin, there was... you guessed it!!... a tricot hook/needle thingy-ma-bob for only 50 cents. So I picked it up, of course -- I think it's a sign.

Thanks in advance for any help/info on the subject. :)

EssenceRose
08-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Upon further investigation, I've found out that it's also called "tunisian crochet" or afghan stitch. Hehe... silly me!

marykz
08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I think nexstitch.com has videos on tunisian crochet. As I understand it is often used for blankets and rugs. I have an old book with a few patterns for this type.

iza
08-27-2007, 11:11 AM
:shrug: In French the word "tricot" simply means... knitting!

callagain
08-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Yes, tricot = knitting en francais

Chel
08-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a friend who is an instructor for this and she loves it, but says it is much slower than traditional crochet or knitting. Basically it is a form of crochet where you keep all the entire row of stitches live as opposed to just one as with traditional crochet.

Jacklad
08-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I've used Tunisian for afghans - I find it slower than crochet (and less open) but faster than knitting. The pick-up row can be slow, but the take off rows are generally quite fast. The basic stitch is great for cross-stitching on.

You can also use the double-headed needles used for "Cro-Hook" double crochet to do Tunisian. Frankly, I'd like to see KnitPicks offer crochet heads for their Options set. Would be great for Tunisan, Cro-hook or even just picking up knit stitches or pulling a life line through. Maybe I'll drop them a suggestion.

Jackie