PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Drama

JGM
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
The following is an account of the events that took place at approximately 10:30 p.m. Saturday, August 25. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Saturday night, we had friends from Boston that were in town for a wedding stay the night. We invited another couple over for small gathering to watch some movies, eat snacks and have a generally good time. We were in between movies, making brownies and getting a little loud when there was a knock on the door. We weren't expecting any more guests, so I was quite curious to know who could be at the door at this hour. I thought perhaps a friendly neighbor thought we were being too loud (we weren't) and wanted to alert us to this fact. It was not a friendly neighbor. There were, in fact, two police officers standing on our porch when I opened the door.

My immediate thought was, "Were we really that loud?", when he asked for Martha Johnson, our friend from Boston. At first I was relieved because the complaint was obviously not with us, but with our friend. I should point out that the officers were very nice and not trying to be assholes, so I didn't have a problem with providing him Martha's whereabouts. She came to the door and he proceeded to hold up her car keys. I should pause yet again to explain that Martha can be somewhat, nay, very scatterbrained, so I was not surprised to see her keys held up by the officer. We all had a good laugh until we heard the officer explaining the reason they were there.

Apparently her car was "blocking" the driveway of our neighbor. She was also parked too far from the curb, a ticketable offense. Martha, in addition to being scatterbrained, is also a notoriously bad parker/driver, so again, not a shock. The shock came from the fact that she had "blocked" the neighbor's driveway by less than 3 inches. And not even the straight line of the driveway, but the angled slope that leads to the main street. So, the ******* next door couldn't pull out of his driveway (he always backs in, which we think is weird) without having to take some care to not hit a closely parked car, and decided to involve the authorities.

Now I normally wouldn't really have a problem with this...no, I take that back and here's why. Remember, there were two officers on the porch and these guys always travel solo. So that means there were two cop cars outside our house at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night. Add to that the fact that we live in a nosy neighborhood and the people across the street were on their front porch at the time...makes for quite a bit of unnecessary neighborhood embarassment. We're upstanding young people, the most we could be found fault with is letting the front lawn grow a bit too much before mowing or yelling at the dogs a little too loudly. We don't throw huge, loud parties that clog the street with cars and keep people up at night. Granted we don't know everyone in the neighborhood, but we've only lived here for about 18 months; we're private people.

Also, why wouldn't you come knock on our door yourself? The car was parked in front of our house, wouldn't it be safe to assume that it belongs to someone there? The only thing I can think of is that he assumes we don't like him (we don't now) but we've never done anything to show him that we don't. I can only guess that he pulled this stunt because he does not like us, but I cannot imagine why.

Other problems I have with all of this: the guy only recently moved in, he's probably been here less than 6 months. I can understand someone who has lived in the neighborhood calling the cops on somone who has only recently moved in, but hey...we were here first, jerk! He also has friends over quite often and instead of them parking in his driveway or even in front of his house, they most often park in front of our house! I normally don't mind people parking in front of our house, we don't own the street and no one has a huge driveway. But I would never park in front of someone else's house if there is open space in front of the house we're visiting. The other thing, and this more of a pet peeve, is they park in the *** middle of the space, when there's plenty of room for two normal size cars.

We just can't help thinking that he called the cops to embarass us, and that is infuriating.

bailsmom
08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Ugh! Neighbors suck!! Ours hate us too, we have no idea why either. We're hermits in our own right, NEVER have anyone over, we're your typical neighbor who keeps to themselves, and yet they never talk to us.

Sorry that you have a crappy neighbor too....why can't people be nice, quiet & cordial to their neighbors???

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
In light of trying to keep neighborhood calm and let others know that you are the bigger person in this I would go talk to them and find out why they felt the need to call the police instead of just alerting you to the problem.

Fortunately we get along with all our neighbors and for the most part they are nice enough people, but there are always a few who are odd ones. Too bad you have to live next door to one! :hug:

stitchwitch
08-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Our neighbor next to us built a new house and decided to wait too long to sell his current house so he has to rent it now. Friday the renters had their usual party, luckily our house is big so we only live in one end of it, the end opposite of their house so we don't hear much. We had left some potted plants out to get rain water and went out around 1am or so after watching a movie to retrieve the plants, the neighbor was out in front of our house with one of his party friends smoking either crack or meth beside the friend's truck. :ick:

dustinac
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I would try talking to them as well...

although I'd also be tempted to call the police the next time his guest's block the front of my house :oo:

momwolf
08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
This is why I live in the country, NO NEIGHBORS :woot:

KnittingNat
08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I would try talking to him too. I live in a huge apartment building and my neighbors are a crazy couple! She is totally nuts and when she yells - the whole building can hear and she drove her husband crazy too. The authorities have even taken their children away. She kicks him out at 3 am with yells that could wake the dead. So i wake up in my tiny bedroom with the feeling they're fighting next to me and then hear him convince himself he'll never die:wall:. So looking at the bright side, as much as police at your front door is embarrassing, at least you have your own house you can park in front of and you're not crazy:happydance:.

stitchwitch
08-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Brat!!:roflhard:

DQ
08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
although I'd also be tempted to call the police the next time his guest's block the front of my house :oo:[/SIZE]

I would be too :oo:

willowangel
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I've always tried to be friends with my neighbours, I've made fantastic lasting friendships from it, but my current neighbour is turning me off that - she's nearly 40 with a daughter and is now going out with my ex, the father of the baby we lost, and he's only 26 (like me). When it was a little hard for me after they first got together, she went to all of my friends and talked about loyalty and created sides where I never wanted there to be any. And she just keeps getting worse. She's now shoving the small amount of stuff I keep on the landing into a small cupboard and breaking stuff while I have to put up with her entire shoe collection and a fridge freezer outside my door. And she keeps stealing my internet connection, and when I block her she whines about her daughter needing to do homework and she'll give me money eventually (she never does).

JGM
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
although I'd also be tempted to call the police the next time his guest's block the front of my house :oo:

That's kind of along the lines that we're thinking :eyebrow:

JGM
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I'd love to be friends with our neighbors. When we first moved in, I had dreams of making new friends and going over for drinks or having people over frequently. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of people our age in the neighborhood.

Also, when we moved in, no one came to welcome us to the neighborhood, maybe our minds were too warped from TV imagining old ladies bringing us cookies and whatnot.

Sharly
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Brat!!:roflhard:

LOL! Another Brat, here!! Cows make the very best neighbors!!:thumbsup:

msoebel
08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
LOL! Another Brat, here!! Cows make the very best neighbors!!:thumbsup:

Just terribly stinky ones!:p

We lived in the country, in a rented farm house on the middle of a dairy farm. The stupid cows kept getting loose! When we had lived there for about a month, I heard a knock on the door. Imagine my surprise when one of the 6 month old calves was standing on my front porch, banging his head on the door!

Of course, he was just as surprised as I was, and left when I slammed the door.

We lived there less than two years, but by the time we moved, I didn't even call the land lord anymore to fetch the stupid things. I just put on the boots and went out and got them myself.

Neighbors tend to be either really good or really bad. We live in an apartment complex, so people seem to be always coming and going. We had really amazing neighbors on either side of us for awhile (we live in a two story town house) but now they have been replaced by scary people. Girls in their early twenties who drink too much and then run around at 2 am screaming and tickling each other on the front lawn and a too quiet woman who ignores my hellos and complains loudly about her live in boyfriend who can't pay child support when he is in jail.

marykz
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Also, when we moved in, no one came to welcome us to the neighborhood, maybe our minds were too warped from TV imagining old ladies bringing us cookies and whatnot.

I was totally shocked when we moved into our new house that two of the families from up the street brought us brownies. I didn't think it happened in this day and age!!! (and they were'nt old ladies- just nice women with kids...) our street had a block party this summer which was really fun. Even our weird neighbor came, and tried to be friendly. (i get the feeling that the previous owners of our house were "problems" and no one was sad to see them go) we are so lucky to be without major issues now.

Sharly
08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I heard a knock on the door. Imagine my surprise when one of the 6 month old calves was standing on my front porch, banging his head on the door!

That is just terribly hilarious!

We haven't had that to happen, but we did have to walk our neighbor's umpty-billion ton bull, who was out in the road, back to his pasture one day! That was a little tense, but the big guy was really very docile. Just huge!! He has since replaced all his fencing, so it hasn't been a problem again.

stitchwitch
08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd take cows on my doorstep, bulls having to be led home and the smell of cow poo any day over my neighbors. I'm just doing time until my husband retires and then he promises me we'll have some land. I just hope he's not bulling me!:roflhard:

Sharly
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
No pun intended, huh? :)

I know what you mean! I wouldn't go back to where I used to live for anything!!

PaperGirl
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I bring cookies to my new neighbors...well, the ones that I like.

I hope when the neighbor I have now moves later this fall, I get a new one thats just as nice as they are.

But it looks like my neighborhood is being overrun with college brats. The college is about 10 minutes from here, and OMG, the mess they are turning this place into is crazy!

HUGE trucks in the driveways, spilling out into the street, on both sides so its like a slalom course to get down the street...people coming in and out at all hours of the day and night...parties...mess, noise...

And the college says they dont rent to students out in this area...but SOMEONE is getting this buttload of frat boys these houses...

we USED to be able to let our kids play all over the place, now its safer to keep them in the yard, for fear of idiots hauling through here. :doh:

We already had one college girl run over my sons trike, WHILE HE WAS ON IT because she wasnt paying attention and didnt slow down..and I didnt get to him in time..

He wasnt hurt, thank goodness, her tire crunched over the rear of the trike, and he was screaming, and I was screaming for her to SLOW DOWN...she was yapping on her phone. My neighbors were trying to flag her down...it was AWFUL!

And my son was no where NEAR where a car should have been driving...

Sharly
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Awww PaperGirl... :hug: that sounds awful!

auburnchick
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I am so sorry you had to go through that! :hug:

How shocking that the neighbor felt the need to make himself feel good that way. You can bet that the cops thought it was stupid too. What a waste of taxpayer money to send cops to ask someone to move a car.

I've had difficult neighbors in the past. Small parking areas make for huge stresses. We once had a neighbor leave his car parked in front of our house for over a month without moving it. Parking was very, very tight (no driveways, although he was one of the luck few who had one). Totally ticked me off since dh often worked late at night and didn't have a spot when he came home. You can bet that I was the happiest person around when we moved into a house that had a driveway! It's funny the little things that make us happy.

Oh, and I've been known to be one of those neighbors who takes cookies to the new ones. My sister does the same thing. I've found it's a great way to break the ice and shocks people because, as someone mentioned, we don't live in the 50's anymore. Plus, I have a neighbor who doesn't want me written up about my lawn, so he edges my yard every once in a while. They just love my cookies cause his wife doesn't bake.

Sharly
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey, AUChick - pass those cookies over this way, please? :)

auburnchick
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Sure will...if you'll help me with my school papers. ;) Pretty please? The cookies are just divine (if I must say so myself, but others agree as well).

PaperGirl
08-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Plus, I have a neighbor who doesn't want me written up about my lawn, so he edges my yard every once in a while. They just love my cookies cause his wife doesn't bake.

SO like my neighbor! He has his kids come mow my lawn for me, cause ours is on the fritz, and I make cookies, and breads, and stuff for them. I :heart: my neighbors.

(So much so we are thinking of buying the house being built right next to theirs)

auburnchick
08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, my neighbor is retired and keeps his truck washed, his yard in perfect shape, and other such stuff I don't have time for. I used to work in the yard a lot, but since I went back to school and work part-time, I spend all of my time inside working on class stuff. He knows this and likes to help out.

We're very fortunate to live beside great neighbors, aren't we? Hugs to all of you who aren't so lucky.

Sharly
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Nathalie <snif, snif>...what kind of cookies are they? :drool:

auburnchick
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Nathalie <snif, snif>...what kind of cookies are they? :drool:

Chocolate Chip...

I know, I know...everyone makes chocolate chip cookies. But I promise, everyone just loves these! I have people fighting over them whenever I take them places. They beat Mrs. Fields by a mile. And they don't have oatmeal...

Gosh...I'm going to have to make some...after this school term is over though. When we make them, we try to do two or three batches. We usually eat a dozen right out of the over...they just melt in your mouth.

:passedout:

Susan P.
08-31-2007, 02:35 AM
she left the keys in the car? lucky it wasn't stolen. insurance won't pay if you leave keys in it

Sharly
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Chocolate Chip...

I know, I know...everyone makes chocolate chip cookies. But I promise, everyone just loves these! I have people fighting over them whenever I take them places. They beat Mrs. Fields by a mile. And they don't have oatmeal...

Gosh...I'm going to have to make some...after this school term is over though. When we make them, we try to do two or three batches. We usually eat a dozen right out of the over...they just melt in your mouth.

:passedout:

Oh gosh! I knew they were going to be my favorite!!!

Off topic - are you coming up for the game this weekend? We are watching on tv, I'm so glad this one is in HD!! Also, have you used your tiger yarn yet? I haven't gotten started on mine, I'm kind of stalled out on my practice pair! If I don't hurry, the season will be over! Take care and WAR EAGLE!!! :)

auburnchick
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
No, we don't get to that many games because of our soccer schedule. We're on our way to Atlanta to a big soccer tournament. My daughter started playing again after her knee surgery in February. BUT, we WILL be watching it on TV, of course!!!!!!

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

Oh, and I haven't had time to use the yarn yet. I hear it calling though! I'm taking a very heavy courseload this term...four classes...on top of working (part-time, but still 30 hours a week) and taking care of the animals...

So, there's not much time for knitting. Plus, I started Branching Out for a friend, so when I have a few minutes, I do a row or two.

::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::

Too many things...not enough time in the day!!!

laptop_knitter
09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
our neighbour wrote to environmental agency because we were burnig dead garden foliage - apple wood branches, etc - despite the fact that we told him in writing we'd be having a cotrolled bonfire at a specific time that weekend. Officers went to my mum's work and everything. He's terrible.

Sharly
09-02-2007, 08:12 AM
No, we don't get to that many games because of our soccer schedule. We're on our way to Atlanta to a big soccer tournament. My daughter started playing again after her knee surgery in February. BUT, we WILL be watching it on TV, of course!!!!!!

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

Oh, and I haven't had time to use the yarn yet. I hear it calling though! I'm taking a very heavy courseload this term...four classes...on top of working (part-time, but still 30 hours a week) and taking care of the animals...

So, there's not much time for knitting. Plus, I started Branching Out for a friend, so when I have a few minutes, I do a row or two.

::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::

Too many things...not enough time in the day!!!

Wow, with all that, I'm suprised you have time for any knitting!! I'll give you some slack on the cookies, then!

We don't go to games, either, and we are only about 40 minutes away. I'm not too crazy about big crowds!

DH didn't enjoy last night's game, much, but we did finally win! War Eagle!!

I'm going to give the thread back over to it's original intent, now :)