PDA

View Full Version : Wool Weight Question

knitgal
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi, I'm a relatively new knitter (about 1 year) and I just joined the forums!
My question is: In the knitting instructions, when it tells you the wool to use, how do you read this? For example, the pattern I am reading calls for "Blue Sky Alpaca's Worsted Weight Hand Dyes (4- worsted weight; 50% alpaca/50% wool; each approx 3 1/2 oz/ 100 g and 100 yards/91 m), 5 balls".
What if I want to use another type of wool? I can use any worsted weight, right? Say I find another wool that is 98 yards/90 m and only 50 grams...Do I go by the weight or the length??? Do I get 10 balls because it's only 50 grams, or 5 because it's about the same length?
I think I'm just making myself more confused...help!

HeatherFeather
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
My question is: In the knitting instructions, when it tells you the wool to use, how do you read this? For example, the pattern I am reading calls for "Blue Sky Alpaca's Worsted Weight Hand Dyes (4- worsted weight; 50% alpaca/50% wool; each approx 3 1/2 oz/ 100 g and 100 yards/91 m), 5 balls".
What if I want to use another type of wool? I can use any worsted weight, right? Say I find another wool that is 98 yards/90 m and only 50 grams...Do I go by the weight or the length??? Do I get 10 balls because it's only 50 grams, or 5 because it's about the same length?
I think I'm just making myself more confused...help!

it all depends....the way I do it is this...

the TYPE of yarn doesn't matter too much to me, unless I need it to do what I want the pattern to do (felting for example)

So, I'd find a yarn that matches the guage as closely as possible. You don't mention that here, but in the pattern , it SHOULD give you a guage, try and find a yarn that will knit up the same guage. (Stitches per inch)

Second the length, I always go by the length, because if the guage is slightly different then you will know for sure you have the right LENGTH of yarn necessary. You might get a ball that is double in length.....so you won't need as many balls as "required" by the pattern.

help some?

suzeeq
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
The type of yarn - 2, 3, 4 - indicating sport, DK, worsted, is what you'd look for first and these are differentiated by stitch gauge. Then you match the yardage, not the weight of the ball.

knitgal
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Thank you both so much! I hope I don't seem like too much of a knitting dunce for asking that question!
In case you're wondering, I am planinng on knitting a gorgeous cable scarf from my newest knitting book Cables Untangles. This is the wool I am hoping to use: http://www.ramwools.com/index.cfm?pageID=3&section=143&prodID=3868 in "Anemone".