PDA

View Full Version : a book im thinking about buying..

knit.newbie
08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm soon gonna have to take a 13 hour flight bk to canada..so I'm thinking of buying a knitting book and reading it/trying stuff out on the plane(I learnt to cast on..knit..purl..and bind off on the plane from canada to here!:))

so I don't have much choices being here...but I found a book that I thought looked good..it's 'complete knitting techniques and projects'..

so anybody thinks I should buy it??

thanks guys!:cheering:

rebecca
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I have never seen it, but I just read about it and it sounds like a great book.

knitgal
08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Do you have any other knitting books? My first (and favorite) knitting book is Stich and Bitch by Debbie Stoller (I also love Stitch and Bitch Nation). This is a great beginner book for knitting, as well as a great read. It's funny and easy to use with some great simple projects.

Waggus
08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Be sure you are allowed knitting needles on the plane. Here in Australia we're not and on many international flights. (Which I think is ridiculous- are they going to ban hands next?)

chrislt8
08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't know that book, so can't recommend for or against it - but if you are interested in learning sweaters, The Sweater Workshop would be a great one - it even recommends that you knit this "sweater swatch thingy" that is just an odd shape of knitting that teaches you all of the techniques needed in sweater construction - might be a great way to fill in 13 boring hours! Just a thought...and safe flying!

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 12:43 AM
hmm..well I'm going to a bigger bookstore 2morrow..so I'll look for other books..

gonna have to look for stitch and bitch cuz ive heard about it a lot..

anybody have any other suggestions??

thanks everybody!:yay:

SabrinaJL
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Visually-Knitting/dp/0764596403) is an EXCELLENT book. I like the SnB book, but I like the Visually one better because it has large, full color pictures of the steps.

Sajomaro
08-29-2007, 04:06 AM
SabrinaJL - Have to agree with you on the Visually book. Picked it up at the local grocery store a few months back and it clarified a lot of things that other knitting books tend to leave out.

knit.newbie - I'm not familiar with that book but if it's reasonable priced and you can understand the instructions. I'd say go for it. Unless of course you can find another one at the other bookstore.

Once your back here in Canada may I suggest hitting your local library. Most of the knitting books I own I borrowed from the library before I bought them. It's a great way to find out if you like them without dipping into your yarn money.

Good luck and have fun.

Quiltlady
08-29-2007, 04:18 AM
If you want to laugh the whole time on the plane then I recommend you buy "The Yarn Harlot". ....it's so funny. Its not a knitting instruction book...but it is all about knitting.:happydance:

GiddyKnitter
08-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Like Quiltlady I read The Yarn Harlot a few months ago its a fab read x x

sue in canada
08-29-2007, 08:19 AM
At Knit's End another book by the Yarn Harlot is a very easy but entertaining read. Just mostly 1 page reflections on knitting in general. Also small size book, good for carry on.
Which airline are you travelling with? Last month Air Canada told me no knitting needles allowed.

knit.newbie
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
If you want to laugh the whole time on the plane then I recommend you buy "The Yarn Harlot". ....it's so funny. Its not a knitting instruction book...but it is all about knitting.:happydance:
will do!:)

Which airline are you travelling with? Last month Air Canada told me no knitting needles allowed.
I was on Air Canada two months ago with my needles in my purse and they never said anything!! too bad they banned it now:wall::wall:

I'm travelling with olympics though..hmm..maybe I should ask again just to check:think:

thanks everybody:), I'll be checking those books out