PDA

View Full Version : best sock yarn???

kayeknit
08-28-2007, 08:07 AM
I've never knit socks before, and I'm very anxious to get started. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on the best sock yarn, as far as durability goes. Thanks!

Chel
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
There are SOOOO many types of sock yarn.
Since durability is the issue I would recommend looking for the following;
Sock yarn with nylon content
Sock yarn with mohair content
Plied yarns
Superwash yarns

The nylon and mohair are great for making sock yarns more durable. Superwash, if you are not familiar with it already, allows you to machine wash your socks which is handy especially if you have kids. Plied yarns are basically strands of yarn that are twisted around each other. This also strengthens yarns.

Personally my favorite yarns are Lorna's Laces (http://www.lornaslaces.net) and Louet Gems (http://www.louet.com/yarns/gems.shtml). Many hand dyers use Louet Gems as a base yarn and create the most lovely colorways from it.

Hope that helps!

Kaydee
08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
I like my Lorna's Laces that got about 2 months ago, the colors are so pretty and its nice and soft. For your first time though you might want to go with a worsted weight yarn so you can get the hang of socks before working with thin yarn and small needles.

candicane
08-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I just posted a hat in the Watcha Knitting forum made from Shibui Sock yarn. It is 100% merino, machine washable, air dry. I don't know about the durability but it is super soft and the colorways are beautiful. I can't wait to try other yarns from this company.

candice

sara_jayne
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
For your first pair of socks you might want to consider making a pair of sport weight or even DK weight socks.....the needles are bigger and knit up faster (which is good for a first pair of socks!) Just my opinion of course! ;)

My favorite sock yarns are Socks that Rock by Blue Moon Fiber Arts and anything by Lisa Souza. Both of them offer several weights of yarn and the colors are just delicious!