PDA

View Full Version : Miss Teen South Carolina

ekgheiy
08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
For your viewing pleasure, I present the most groundbreaking speech I have ever heard ........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg)

.....................NOT!!! :chair::roflhard:

stitchwitch
08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I saw that on Inside Edition last night. I didn't even laugh, it's almost sad because that poor girl is so stupid. Someone needs to tell her and obviously her parents that there is more to life than just beauty pageants. :teehee:
What is funny though is the look on the announcer guys face. You just know he's thinking to himself "dead puppies, dead puppies, dead puppies, please do NOT let me laugh, dead puppies, dead puppies". :teehee:

PaperGirl
08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Im not sure if I want to laugh or cry. :doh:

sara_jayne
08-28-2007, 10:04 AM
:chair:

That is sad. She is probably one of the 1/5th that can't find the US. Oh dear.......poor girl.

Jan in CA
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
:noway: :shock: :noway: :shock: :noway:

iza
08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
when I saw that, I was shocked. :shock: On the other hand, extreme nervousness can make you lose your ability to focus and to speak coherently. I think she probably practiced a little speech in her head, but was too nervous to repeat it, which resulted in this incoherent babble...

figaro
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I also saw that last night and I am still in shock over this. I always thought that was a myth, I mean there are people in this country that do not know where the US is on a map??? Do you think that the "No child left behind" is really working when 1/5 of Americans can't find the country they live in??

PaperGirl
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
when I saw that, I was shocked. :shock: On the other hand, extreme nervousness can make you lose your ability to focus and to speak coherently. I think she probably practiced a little speech in her head, but was too nervous to repeat it, which resulted in this incoherent babble...

But isnt part of being IN a pageant to be able to handle the pressure, and NOT show you are nervous?

debinoz
08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I think the only time the "no child left behind" program kicks in is when it's time for state assessments. My youngest DD got F's in Social Studies and Math for two straight quarters last year. She was never invited to tutoring. Why?? Because the state assessments last year were for reading. The kids that were flunking English and American Lit. were invited.

kellyh57
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I just love the look on Mario's face when she's done. How do you keep a straight face when she says something like that.

Kelly

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM
:whoosh::zombie::whoosh::zombie::noway::noway:

what!!?!?!:gah:

poor girl won't know what to do when she grows old and she's not a pretty teen anymore:???:

sure she was nervous..but there's a difference between being nervous and blabbing on about nothing like she was doing!!
I can understand if she freezes or stutters..but not that incoherent blurt!:wall:

misha rf
08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Letterman had a field day with that last night. I actually felt bad for her. Along with :doh::??:shock:.

iza
08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
But isnt part of being IN a pageant to be able to handle the pressure, and NOT show you are nervous?

I agree with you, of course it is. But you don't know until you try it, right? She tried and it didn't go well. At all. But it happens to many people too!

I've actually seen something similar before in high school. Somebody not used to public speaking (and not dumb!) completely panicked during an oral presentation. He was totally incoherent. And it was only in front of a class of 30 teenagers! :shrug:

Of course it's entirely possible this girl is just dumb. :teehee: How would I know?

Stiney
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Oh man, Mario Lopez, why are you hosting this show?

(You can tell he's thinking the same thing.)

And such as.

ekgheiy
08-28-2007, 12:11 PM
And such as. :roflhard: "Everywhere like such as ... " I totally have to used that one at some point in time!!!

Kaydee
08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree with you, of course it is. But you don't know until you try it, right? She tried and it didn't go well. At all. But it happens to many people too!

I've actually seen something similar before in high school. Somebody not used to public speaking (and not dumb!) completely panicked during an oral presentation. He was totally incoherent. And it was only in front of a class of 30 teenagers! :shrug:

Of course it's entirely possible this girl is just dumb. :teehee: How would I know?

That used to happen to a friend of mine in high school who was a very smart girl. She would get up in front of the class to make a presentation and just totally panic. Once she started a presentation then started rummaging through her papers and said something about how she had the wrong copy of the speech just so she could compose herself. It was so bas for her that her doctor had to prescribe her anti-anxiety medicine that she could take when she had to do public speaking because otherwise she just couldnít function.

Maybe this girl just felt extreme pressure and panicked? :shrug: Kind of makes you hope so for her sake.

Jan in CA
08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Like most of you I shook my head in disbelief when I viewed the video. I just did a little further searching on a local news channel site and found her Today Show (?) interview. They asked her the same question and she answered it much better. Being flustered and nervous and then getting asked a question that is basically about education and answering as if she'd had none is getting her reamed on the internet and late night TV. Hopefully she learned something from this.

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 01:16 PM
she might've been just nervous and panick-y.. her answering the question next day doesn't prove she's not just dumb though...I mean..ask me about rocket science and I'll have nothing to say..but if you asked me again 2morrow I'm pretty sure I'll have a way better answer!

it could be that she was just nervous though...the intro mario did was nerve wrecking!!

ekgheiy
08-28-2007, 01:25 PM
.. her answering the question next day doesn't prove she's not just dumb though...I mean..ask me about rocket science and I'll have nothing to say..but if you asked me again 2morrow I'm pretty sure I'll have a way better answer! Good point; after all, that's GOOGLE is for right? ... :angelgrin: hehehehehe :teehee:

stitchwitch
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
It would have been cool if she would have simply said "I don't know why." I do like the whole US Americans don't have maps thing though, that's funny. :chair: I don't think I've ever heard the term US American but that could just be me.

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
after all, that's GOOGLE is for right? ... :angelgrin: hehehehehe :teehee:

:chair:
exactly!

stitchwitch
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII&mode=related&search=

With subtitles!!! :chair:

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 01:43 PM
"I believe that our education like such as south africa" :oo:

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I personally believe that the educations in the American countries of the U.S.A. of America should buy maps to help the people in Asia so as to the Iraqians can come here to the U.S, to help with the education about South Africa's children who are concerned about the global warmings which are happening because of the mass production of maps such as and the people of the Iraq should build a better future for the children in the maps, because they're like a box of chocolates. from a person commenting on the video with subtitles stitchwitch sent..

:roflhard:

ekgheiy
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII&mode=related&search=

With subtitles!!! :chair: OMG :passedout: :roflhard::roflhard:

divagirl
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I finally saw this - wow. I have been more coherent after 3 cosmopolitans!

I agree that nerves can make you tongue tied, but most of these girls are firmly planted in the cult of pageants from a young age and are trained to keep it together.

ekgheiy
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I finally saw this - wow. I have been more coherent after 3 cosmopolitans!

I agree that nerves can make you tongue tied, but most of these girls are firmly planted in the cult of pageants from a young age and are trained to keep it together.

She may have played hooky on a training day or two.

sara_jayne
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Did she fall apart on purpose? Look at the attention she's getting. Would people really stoop that low for attention?

IBAmyB
08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I can't watch the video since I am at work. (The Army post's servers blocks certain sites from gov't computers.)

what does she say/do that is so awful????

Please tell me! I am dying to know!

PaperGirl
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Ummm...I dont follow pageants....so forgive me..

How far did she get after this incident?

Arielluria
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
:roflhard: I'd say her answer says it all!
:whoosh:

Kaydee
08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
I can't watch the video since I am at work. (The Army post's servers blocks certain sites from gov't computers.)

Its blocked for me too, but I read about it here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/360325/lauren_caitlin_upton_miss_teen_south.html). Hopefully you can get to that link.

Ummm...I dont follow pageants....so forgive me..

How far did she get after this incident?

I read she was the third runner up which seems pretty generous to me.:shrug:

knit.newbie
08-28-2007, 06:35 PM

judge: Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?

south carolina: I personally believe that U.S American are unable to do so because, uh , some people out there in our nation donít have maps. And I believe that our education such as south Africa and uh, and Iraq everywhere like such as..and I believe that they should..our education over here in the us should help the us..or shud help south Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up the future for our [children]

mario: thank you south carolina!

Silver
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Well she didn't throw up on Mario and run away crying, which is what I woulda done, so isn't that a plus? :roflhard:

I feel sorry for her though. How embarrassing. I'd rather trip on my ball gown.

BinkyKat
08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
from a person commenting on the video with subtitles stitchwitch sent..

:roflhard:
the people of the Iraq should build a better future for the children in the maps, because they're like a box of chocolates.<---:chair: :thumbsup:

Sil...I think it would be more appropriate if she DID throw up on Mario and run off stage...it wouldn't have made the news anyway... :teehee:
CNN Headline news replayed her bit on the Today Show and she was all happy....whatever...:shrug:

SabrinaJL
08-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Maybe she was totally distracted by Mario's hotness. I know I would have been. :eyebrow:

The thing about Americans not being able to locate the US on a map totally doesn't surprise me. My brother's 17 year old girlfriend pointed to Australia when asked to locate the US on a map. I always knew she wasn't exactly brimming with smarts, but when she did that, I was completely shocked.

orcoastknitter
08-29-2007, 02:19 AM
"... and for world peace."

If I may quote Gracie Lou Freebush. :teehee:

Curly_Toot
08-29-2007, 02:32 AM
She made it on Rove in Australia too (he's the aussie version of Leno... he was in LA a little while ago). Poor girl she's getting international air time, cant buy publicity like that - i be the pagent is loving her right now!

Chel
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
My favorite parts were where she kept referring to "the Iraq".

auburnchick
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
As a gal who remembers the awkwardness of the teen years, I feel for her. As a mom, I'm covering my eyes for her. As a student myself, I'm shocked.

This is so totally why I want to be a teacher (by next fall). I can promise you that my kids (middle schoolers, probably) will leave my class and know where the countries are (and the value of an education and how privileged they are).

stitchwitch
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
My favorite parts were where she kept referring to "the Iraq".

I'm pretty sure since she said it more than once that she thinks that's the name of the country. :teehee: As in, "My husband was deployed to "The Iraq". I'm going to start referring to it that way and see how long it takes someone to ask me about it. :teehee:

mum2caden
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Honestly, I feel bad for her. Trained to do this or not, nerves can get anyone- especially at a moment like that. And admit it, if you were to meet someone that couldn't find their own country on a map, wouldn't your first reaction be to say just how bloody stupid they are? lol

It's not like she can stand there and tell the truth in those circumstances. She probably messed up because she didn't know how to be diplomatic about the answer on that one. I certainly couldn't.

Then again, I don't believe that people who compete in such things are all that intelligent anyway, but more like well trained monkeys. However, for the sake of that particular question, I am prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, hehe.

vaknitter
08-29-2007, 11:07 AM
WOW - I feel a slew of bad blond jokes coming....(sorry to those of you who are blonde, but blond jokes are the only retaliation us brunettes have)

Anyway, I would wager a guess that since she mentioned South Africa and Iraq that her coaches/trainers or whatever had prepared her for questions about those 2 countries whether it be about HIV, poverty, lack of education, war etc and when the question didn't really pertain to that she was lost.

I really don't understand why our country still puts so much stock in beauty pagents. People try to tell me how wonderful pagents are b/c the girls win scholarship money....but wouldn't the money spent on all their pagent clothes, lessons, travel, entrance fees etc pay for college if it were properly invested?

Kaydee
08-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Well Miss USA and Miss Teen USA are the Donald Trump pagents, so its all about looks and I guess you can't expect the girls to be that smart. Miss America is the "smart" pagent from what I've heard.

PaperGirl
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM
"... and for world peace."

If I may quote Gracie Lou Freebush. :teehee:

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

ekgheiy
08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
This is for all of us ... "US Americans" ... who need maps !!! (http://www.morningtoast.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/missmap.gif)

Ronda
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
This whole conversation has me :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

JGM
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I think people should stop making fun of her for one embarrassing clip posted on YouTube. I'm sure if someone posted a clip of myself or any of you or anyone else in the world doing or saying something dumb (admit it, we've all done it) and people assumed you were dumb, you'd be angry about it.

I've read a couple articles on her that say she was an honor student in high school and competed on a travel soccer team (not that sports make your smart) but I think that speaks to the fact that she's not just looks. I agree with the poster that mentioned she probably got flustered and couldn't think of a diplomatic answer.

I also watched the Today show clip and I give her kudos for being able to go on live TV and laugh at her flub. (Although one could argue that she was 'trained' to do so.)

I agree that beauty pageants are pretty stupid concepts, but people also shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

sugarfunpouch
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
My dad showed my that, and it cracked me up! :roflhard:

zazzu
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I think people should stop making fun of her for one embarrassing clip posted on YouTube. I'm sure if someone posted a clip of myself or any of you or anyone else in the world doing or saying something dumb (admit it, we've all done it) and people assumed you were dumb, you'd be angry about it.

Nope, sorry. These girls enter beauty pageants to get famous. And it worked for Miss SC....she's gotten her few minutes of fame.

She made her choice, now she has to live with the consequences.

Likely, it'll be forgotten soon anyway. :)

brendajos
08-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I think there is a pretty strong argument to be made that she probably didn't make the choice herself since pageant kids are typically pageant kids from the time they are babies. The truth is, though, that she is just a little girl. No matter how made up she is and how much she is paraded around, she is still a little girl. And there isn't a single one of us who would want an entire country pointing and laughing at us when we make a mistake, much less while in our teenage years.

It's always fun to to watch people stumble though... :(

stitchwitch
08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Little girl? Umm no, she's an 18 year old woman, she's an adult now.
For the sake of not starting an argument, yes it is probably mean to laugh so I'll bail out of this thread.

msoebel
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey, I work with teenagers. I am fully aware of how much our public education system is lacking. But when funds get tight, it's the first area that gets cut in the budget.

No wonder none of my students know who Ghandi was! (when I referred to him once, as an example of peaceful resistance, one of my kids actually said, "Well, Misty, do you really expect us to know the names of all the bands you used to listen to?":oo:). Most of them do not know that our country is just over 200 years old, or that Ben Franklin wasn't a president.

Really, let's just get rid of the interview portion of beauty contests all together...or at least ask them questions that are more fair. Like, "Where do you think the best sales are?" or "Which of the other contestants is the meanest?"

Misty

Kels Joy.
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM
on my radio station i listen to on the way to school in the morning, they spent the past three days trashing her. i totally agree with the nervousness- that adding to her being probably not the brightest crayon in the box. she completely humiliated herself but i dont think that people need to make her into an even bigger sideshow than she already has made herself! i just feel so bad.. :sad:

Rorshach
08-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Granted it was incoherent babbling, but how many of us can say that we would be able to best her? Though, I would think that from her point of view this would be a spot of weakness and she could better herself by learning how to speak in public. This isn't to say that she is stupid, she could be, and in the context of that particular question, she was.

It isn't really surprising that most people in the US don't know where the US is on a map, considering that the same people don't know where a particular state is. For example, when asked the question "what is the easternmost state in the US?" most people reply Maine is. Which is incorrect, that would be Alaska, since part of it falls across the International date line. But personally, I think she had guts to get up there and speak.