PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Rant - Update Page 3

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm taking deep breaths to calm down, really I am.

I have migraines, not the vomiting-out-of-commision migraines but just regular pounders-but-I-can-still-try-to-function migraines. I've been taking pills for these forever now (ex. Imitrex, maxalt, etc) and my newest doctor decided that a daily preventive medicine would work better. So I tried it and went back after 3 months, nothing better so he increased the dosage. Another appt after 3 months and still nothing better so he ups the dosage. Next appt is still no better so he does the same. This time after 2 days of taking the medicine I feel exhausted and like it's a huge effort to do anything.

I call the doctor's office and get a nurse. She takes all of my information (including my lower than normal blood pressure of 90/72) and says she'll talk to the doctor and call me back. She finally calls after a couple hours (that's ok - I know they're busy) and says just go back to the dosage I was taking before. BUT that didn't work before so why would I go back to that? She doesn't know so she'll go talk to the doctor again and call me back. Which she doesn't.

I call the next day and finally get to someone. Now she says the doctor wants me to take the new dosage (that's making me extremely tired) AND start taking a relaxer at night to help with sleeping. BUT I DON'T HAVE A SLEEPING PROBLEM. She can't explain to me why the doctor wants me to take this new drug. What's the deal?

I'm just going drug free. I'd rather deal with the migraines then just keep popping all of these pills.

marykz
08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
oh- I hear you!!!

is the doctor you are seeing a neurologist? if not, it may be worth seeing one. often they are better at treating migraines than a general practicioner. I had very bad migraines for several years. we tried lots of things (imitrex, maxalt); tried daily preventatives. tried rescue medications; had cat scans, MRI's etc. tried tracking a food diet; tried on /off the pill.... what has worked for me is staying on a low dose pill all the time. but everyone is so different.

if this doctor and his staff are not listening to you - you need a new doctor. you deserve to be pain-free or at least able to function.

I still have a current prescription for rescue therapy (I think it is imitrex now) but balancing out my hormones has been the life saver. I had a neurologist who really listened and didn't get frustrated with me when his ideas didn't work.

this daily preventative thing is fairly new in the overall treatment of migraines, and it doesn't work for everyone. some docs read the latest headlines, toss you the prescptions, and move on. you deserve better.

it isn't wise just to stop taking any medication suddenly against Dr orders... sometimes the body needs to get used to lower and lower doses before it is removed completely. Especially if you are using a beta blocker which can affect your blood pressure. (my sister in law has great success with one of the beta blockers as a preventative med)

Do try to get seen soon, and bring your list of questions/ frustrations. doctors are reluctant to treat over the phone due to legal liabilities, and they want their co-pay.

but also start looking for a better doctor.....

Sara
08-28-2007, 02:32 PM
newdoctornewdoctornewdoctornewdoctor...I really can't repeat that enough.

I have migraines, too. The aura seeing, throw-up, lie in total darkness, don't even whisper to me kind. I would recommend that you see a neurologist. You should get a referral from your new GP.

:hug:

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Update -I just got off the phone with the pharmacy to cancel the relaxer-type pill. I asked her what it's used for and she said it's an anti-depressant that has side effects of being a sleep aid. I know that depression is a serious issue but I am no where near being depressed. My husband just about flipped out when I told him about it. He travels for work alot and we have a 16 month old so I can't afford to take a sleep aid.

The one that I'm taking now is a beta-blocker called Propranolol (generic for Inderal) and then I take Maxalt when I do get migraines. All I asked the nurse for yesterday was if my symptoms of being exhausted were normal and if they would just go away once my body gets used to the new dosage. Still no answer on that one - they just wanted to give me a relaxant.

I have gotten a MRI and all of that jazz and it came back normal. I was told my migraines aren't severe enough to see a neurologist. Which is pretty true because I can still function mostly when I get them. This is a team practice so the first doctor I saw recommended Topomax and when I expressed concern about seizures as a side effect he thought I should try a natural way with a chiropractor. Nice back rub but no luck with the migraines.

This next doctor (same practice) said that recommending Topomax for my migraines was like killing an ant with a sledgehammer so he recommended the Inderal on the gradual increase dosage until no more migraines.

I explained to them that I had absolutely no migraines when I was pregnant but they just said that hormones can do great things. I think I should just get pregnant again!

debinoz
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I have them too. So does my youngest DS. The "please somebody chop my head off" kind. I take OTC Excedrin migraine with 1 ex-strength tylenol. 30-40 minutes later.. it's gone.

ETA: Should add that they are "optic" migraines, so I do know when they'll hit. I can get a jump on it and take the meds.

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I feel your pain, really I do.

I used to take the Excedrin for Migraines and I loved it until it started making me jittery and stopped working. Now I have just about no caffeine in my diet to try to prevent these.

I'm much calmer now and I have an appointment in a month to discuss with my current doctor. I think I'm going to give this dosage a little longer to see if the exhaustion feeling goes away. If not, I'll ask to try the Topamax. Seizures isn't the only possible side effect, I was told that weight loss is very commone while taking this drug! Sign me up!

Jeremy
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Yikes. Inderal is a beta blocker that is used for controlling blood pressure among other things. One of the side effects would be lower blood pressure and pulse. It can also make you feel mighty tired because its blocking the adrenaline like chemicals from working at certain sites in your body. I'm not sure its such a great idea to quit cold turkey though. I would do it gradually under the guidance of a doctor.

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
My normal blood pressure is a little low to begin with so that's why I called yesterday when I was feeling so tired this past weekend. I'm just annoyed that I couldn't get a straight answer from the nurse or even just talk to the doctor directly.

So this medicine lowers my blood pressure and then they want me to take a sleep aid. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

marykz
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
um, maybe its b/c I have my own issues with doctors and my chronic illness, but shouldn't the neurologist decide (and not the GP/ gatekeeper) if he/she should treat you? Those who do not have migraines have no idea how life altering they can be. are you stuck in a plan where you *have* to get a referral in order to be seen and covered by your ins?

Jeremy and everyone else is right- beta blockers like inderal lower blook pressure. so if you were low to begin with I am not surprised at all you are feeling wiped out. it isn't a symptom to be taken lightly, and you shouldn't quit it cold turkey.

(and if you felt so much better pregnant- it might be worth trying different versions of the pill to see if you can replicate the experience. I tried every variety that was on the market (it was a tough year) and found one that absolutely makes life livable again. I take it continuously with no weekly break. and it was recommended by my neurologist, so it isn't some whacky treatment dreamed up by someone without credentials- he said hormones and more importantly hormone changes can be a terrible trigger.)

Mariblue
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Yikes, Topomax can cause seizures as a side effect? How common is that? Can you share where you learned this information? My sister takes topomax for her epilepsy, and I was under the impression that topomax was a fairly common drug for seizures.

If I were you I'd go to a neurologist too. It wouldn't hurt to see if they could help with your migraines.

suziehomemaker
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Yikes, Topomax can cause seizures as a side effect? How common is that? Can you share where you learned this information?

This is the way that it was explained to me by my doctor:
Topamax is an anti-seizure medication that has side effects of preventing migraines. Migraines are like a mini-seizure in your brain. You have to slowly start taking it and gradually increase the medication and if you ever want to stop it has to be gradual. If there's a sudden stop in medication you could have a seizure (it's a very slim chance). The most common side effect from taking this drug is weight loss.

The seizure thing scared me but maybe I need to take a closer look. I got a little worried because sometimes I get busy and a might forget to take a pill. I like the idea of trying different birth control pills too. I switched to Seasonale just so I could have less period-related migraines.

I'm sorry if I phrased that incorrectly! I didn't mean to worry you!

marykz
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
topamax is used to TREAT epilepsy. www.topamax.com (http://www.topamax.com) has a place for full prescribing information (top right of the page) and also has a little commercial about how it is used to treat migraines.

here's the warnings they print on the bottles: (remember, they are legally bound to report ALL effects reported, whether or not they are actually related to the drug, so it sounds more scary than it is.)
From topamax.com- not my writing, and copyrighted by whatever pharmaceutical company sells it.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Serious risks associated with TOPAMAX include lowered bicarbonate levels in the blood resulting in an increase in the acidity of the blood (metabolic acidosis). Symptoms could include hyperventilation (rapid, deep breathing), tiredness, loss of appetite, irregular heartbeat or changes in the level of alertness. Call your doctor immediately if you get these symptoms. Your doctor may want to do simple blood tests. Chronic, untreated metabolic acidosis may increase the risk for kidney stones or bone disease.
Other serious risks include decreased sweating, increased body temperature, kidney stones, sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, difficulty concentrating, and increased eye pressure (glaucoma). Call your doctor immediately if you have any decrease in vision or eye pain. These problems can lead to blindness if not treated right away.
More common side effects are tingling in arms and legs, loss of appetite, tiredness, nausea, diarrhea, taste change and weight loss.
Tell your doctor about other medications you take. Please see enclosed full U.S. prescribing information.

msmelody
08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Let me start by stating that I am a migraine sufferer. The lie in bed, throwing up, do not talk, breathe, or be near me in any way, because your body heat is killing me, and of course I will need to sleep for the next three days to get rid of it. And suicide is against my religion it is also not an option. Since I have small children (two and one-year-old) above things are not possible. Went through all the medicines that Western doctors could prescribe, and nothing worked, finally talked to a man who studied Chinese medicine. I now take Piantoutong Wan when I feel I migraine coming on. Not sure if it will help you, but it worked miracles for me. I have been a sufferer since I was about 6 months old, and would not wish it on the Devil.

Joanne

KnittingNat
08-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Definitely see a neurologist, it's very important. I used to have migraines in the army, and they tried giving me some strong pills for the migraine itself or giving me anti-depressant every day. Both didn't work! I kept having everyday migraines. What made the difference eventually? I got released from the army - i stopped being so stressed AND i stopped working on the computer for 12-13 hours everyday. Stress is a very big trigger for migraines, so maybe you should look at your lifestyle, see what can you change. You say that you have a little baby and your husband is away often, maybe without noticing and admitting you're under a lot of pressure:shrug:? Maybe try natural valeriane pills for relaxation? Good luck :hug:

Mariblue
08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Ahh, I see. Thanks Suziehomemaker, and MaryKZ. It's the whole withdrawal thing. I know all about that, unfortunately. My sister is severely disabled, and unable to speak for herself, so I remember quite clearly the struggle with finding the right seizure meds for her when I was a child. It took years to get it right (and also finding the right neurologist), but she is doing so much better with the seizures now.
I wish you luck, suzie, with finding help for your migraines. :hug:

This is the way that it was explained to me by my doctor:
Topamax is an anti-seizure medication that has side effects of preventing migraines. Migraines are like a mini-seizure in your brain. You have to slowly start taking it and gradually increase the medication and if you ever want to stop it has to be gradual. If there's a sudden stop in medication you could have a seizure (it's a very slim chance). The most common side effect from taking this drug is weight loss.

Jeremy
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Just to clarify a little. Inderal can make you feel tired independent of what your blood pressure is. It is something that some people can work through and feel right again although its an individual response.

dakatzmeow
08-29-2007, 08:01 AM
you should also taper off the inderal too. everyone here has already pretty much said what i would have said, med-wise. best wishes to you.

suziehomemaker
08-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all of the advise and knid wishes! I'm going to stick with the Inderal until my next appointment in about 3 weeks and see if my body adjusts to the exhaustion.

I've had migraines for awhile now so I pretty much know my triggers: caffeine, not drinking enough water, being in the sun for too long, stress, mentrual time and working out harder than I should. There's probably more but those are the most common.

I do work from home and I'm at my computer for most of the day (8:30 to 5:00) but I have gotten better at taking breaks. I sit in front of a big window so I look outside at least once an hour to give my eyes a break. I also had/have TMJ problems from old sports injuries so when I get stressed I tend to clench my teeth & eventually get a migraine.

I took up yoga and knitting to help with my stress and it works for the most part. Well, except last night when I had to frog my entire lace scarf! It was only about 3-4 nights of knitting so not too bad . . .

marykz
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
talk about a timely news article-

Reuters has this about how often doctors dismiss patient's reports of side effects and aren't listening to their patients.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20479490/

the take home from the article- get a new doctor. what about educating the docs to listen, and actually read the prescribing information and being informed?!

anways, interesting reading.

bailsmom
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
:waving: Fellow migraine sufferer!! Hello! Oy vey. Let me start off by saying I'm sorry you are having to deal with this crap.

Second, Yes, go to a neurologist pronto! I did the regular doctor for a few years and they know absolutely nothing when it comes to migraines. It doesn't matter if you're not the "throw up" kind of sufferer, you have them. End of story. A neurologist isn't going to send you on your way cause you don't puke with every headache.

As for those drugs you mentioned, I was on Topamax for 2 years. They start you out on the lowest dosage and work their way up to one that helps. For me, we started with 25 mg and I ended up (at the end of 2 years) on a 200 mg dose. 125 mg's was the one for me, then after a while it had to be upped. That's the max they use on non-epilieptic patients. As for the risks of a seizure, it won't likely happen unless you stop it cold turkey. Which you shouldn't anyway. I've been off of it for 2 years now and I'm fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

I've tried the Inderol as well as a crap-load more prevetatives that worked for a little while then stopped. So now I'm actually on Rhinocort for my allergies and that has stopped them from about 15 a month down to 2-3 a month. It's been heaven!!

Yes, everyone is different and will react differently with different drugs, but that doesn't mean you should automatically say no to something.

Don't buy into the "horror stories" some people will/are telling you about different drugs. Only your doctor can know for sure. For me, I swear by Imitrex - I should buy stock in that stuff!! - but for a lot of people it doesn't work. Which I can't imagine that happening to me! :oo: Your best bet is to see a neurologist. They will help you get better, or at least maintain them.

Remember EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Just because someone who tried Topamax had a bad experience with it, doesn't mean you will too.

I wish you all the best, and know that we are here for you! :hug:

Arielluria
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Suzie,

I too have some major petpeeves about Dr.s and Dr.s offices! I can feel a migraine starting just thinking about it!!!!!!!!! They think they are God sometimes! Such primadonnas some of them are (not ALL).

I also have migraines and took the Imitrex route for a long time. It didn't do much for me. (The nasal spray is great though if the migraine causes your stomach to freeze and you can't digest a pill).

I don't like ANY daily preventative medicine if it's for something you don't get often. It puts MUCH unnecessary stress on your liver especially if you only need the medicine only a few days per month.

What I take now is Fioricet. It's got Codeine in it, if you're not allergic to it, it's the BEST stuff!!!!!!!!!! Codeine is supposed to make you drowsy but it actually makes ME hyper so hubby comes home, the furniture's been rearranged, he looks at me and says "you had a headache today, didn't you?!?" LOL!
:flirt:

But seriously, try Fioricet (Butabital is the generic name). It's AMAZING for migraines and will also take care of any other pain if you really need it, but shouldn't be abused.

I used to have the type of migraines that keeps me in bed for days with a pillow over my head and the sound of a dog hair falling on the ground could send me up the walls! LOL. (That's only a SLIGHT exaggeration). I'm not the type who can sit or lay still very long, so that would drive me craaaaaaaaazy!

Now I'm medicated and very happy about it.:roflhard:

suziehomemaker
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
You all were so supportive before so I thought I'd give you an update.

I just went back to the doctor yesterday after having 4 migraines in the last month. My blood pressure was 90/60 and he agreed that this wasn't the medication for me. He suggested the antidepressant again (amna . . something) and I gave him all of my concerns (young child at home, husband travels, can't afford to be drowsey). He mentioned that if I take it at night it shouldn't affect me that much but we'd keep a close eye on it. My biggest concern is that I wouldn't be able to wake up if my son cries in the middle of the night - he said that it's not something that would knock me out.

Since my husband is traveling alot in the next month he's trying one more blood pressure medicine before we move on to a different one.

He explained to me that he prefers to treat migraines first with the blood pressure medicine, then with the anti-depressants and then if needed the Topamax. He actually said that he prefers not to prescribe Topamax at all and would have me see a neurologist or head ache specialist first since he's just a Family Doctor. That made me feel so much better.

Lesson learned: I need to speak directly to the doctor, continue to ask questions and express all of my concerns. Calling in and talking to him through a nurse only leads to frustation.

He also was supportive and told me not to give up, be patient and we'll eventually find something that gets rid of my migraines for good. I'm feeling better about this doctor.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me calm down that day!

scout52
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok your doctor sounds like my first nuero when I moved to sand diego. ( why when you have a migraine and you are a woman does the doctor automatically think you are depressed. NO YOU HEAD JUST FREAKIN HURTS!!)
I have had migraines since I was 13 years old and I am now 30. You name it and I was on the drug. I have been on inderal so I understand how crappy you are feeling right now. I stopped taking drugs when i was 18 and began doing biofeedback which worked WONDERS!! I have a new nuero now who listens and sees me every 6 weeks to evaluate because he is concerned about why the migraines have returned. plus I have other neurological things happening which may be migraine variant (ie migraine inthe rest of the body, go figure)

but then something changed, don't know what and last year i lost control of my migraines and they came back full force 4-5 times a week. with one last 3 weeks. i was first put on something with areally long name which didn't work. and then I was put on Topamax. it worked WONDERS!! I haven't had any side effects. (on a side note, when i was younger my eegs shows that when my migraines is about to end i have little siezures which i feel as tingling in my mouth, but I don't feel that now with the topamax) and yep i was on a diet to lose 10 1lbs and with topamax lost 20!

I really hope you find some relief. migraines can really suck the life out of you.

Spikey
09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
PLEASE, as a fellow migraine sufferer and person in the medical field, I URGE you to go to a neurologist at a University Hospital who specializes in headaches ASAP. There must be people in NYC, Rochester, or Syracuse (whatever is closer for you), that you can be referred to.

Trust me, although he sounds very nice and caring, this is out of your family doc's league! You have yourself, your husband, and a young child to worry about. You need to be getting the absolute best care possible. Enough with the BP medication and get to someone who can get you some real headache medication.

Sorry if I am being pushy, but I've had far too many friends and family members getting bad care lately (including one who is getting re-operated on tomorrow, by a competent surgeon this time). I hate to see anyone suffer a moment longer than necessary.

Hope you get some relief soon!
Spikey

Arielluria
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I TOTALLY agree...........go to a NEUROLOGIST who specializes in migraines............and tell HIM what to do, don't let him dictate!

Have you tried the Fioricet (generic name Butabital) which I use?????????? It has Codeine in it. They say it's supposed to make you drowsy but it actually makes me hyper! :teehee:

So try one when your hubby is around to take care of the little one and FORGET blood pressure RX!!!!!!!!! It's one day!

For heaven's sake!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate Dr.s who just want to pump you full of the medications which the drug companies want them to push!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be in control. Go to a specialist and tell him what you want!
:tap:

Arielluria
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
BTW, have you had an MRI of the brain done or is he just pumping you full of meds??????????

Julie
09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure how you feel about alternative medicine, but I'll throw this out there...

My boss suffered from major migraines for many, many years. I'm not sure what spurred her on to consider this, but she started magnet therapy (wearing a special magnet on her lower back every day) and her migraines disappeared. It's been years now and she said the only time she's ever gotten a migraine is if she forgets to wear it for a day or two. Otherwise, gone. Poof.

If you'd like me to get info from her, just PM me. :) I know I'd try it...heck, even if people write off alt-med stuff as being all in people's heads, if it works, it works. :shrug:

suziehomemaker
09-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure how you feel about alternative medicine, but I'll throw this out there...

I did go to a chiropractor 3 times a week for 2 weeks with no improvement. Great back rubs though!

I'm trying to be patient with this whole thing because I know that you need to try a few things to see what works best. Why jump in the deep end of the pool if the shallow end works, right? I have gotten MRIs in the past, once with my old doctor back in Chicago and then again with this doctor here in Syracuse and everything came back normal.

I actually have a really bad migraine right now as I type that's lasted about 24 hours straight now with no relief no matter what I've taken. If this doesn't let up by this afternoon I will have no choice but to go back to the doctor and have him refer me to a specialist sooner rather than later. It's been a long time since I've had one that doesn't let up when I take Maxalt or some other medication like it.

Ugh . . . I'm ready for this to be over so I can knit. I was only able to do one row last night. That's when my husband knew I was really hurting.

mrslevite
09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
I just found this thread and big hugs to you! I've been going through something similar to this almost three years. I'm currently off of all prescription meds - except my medicine for high blood pressure. I found that the prescription meds were just creating a really bad cycle that I had to break.

I have found, too, that if I skip my high blood pressure medicine, when I start taking it again and my blood pressure starts to drop, I get a killer, pounding, sick, "just cut it off and get it over with" headache. Maybe focusing on your blood pressure would be a better approach to the headaches.

I've also found that I am gluten intolerant and anything with gluten (all foods with wheat) make my pain much much worse - not just the headaches, but all over body pain, and also I'm less able to deal with the pain emotionally.

Just take care and get plenty of rest. Relax at every opportunity. Stress is the worst. It may not be the cause, but it certainly makes any pain much worse.

Again, big hugs to you.

mrslevite
09-28-2007, 09:00 AM
I did go to a chiropractor 3 times a week for 2 weeks with no improvement. Great back rubs though!

That's exactly what I thought - great massages! My husband gave me one of the massage machines - I can't remember the name now - for Christmas. I went to the chiropractor for about a year - it didn't seem to help.

One thing he did tell me and it did make a difference - Don't knit, don't crochet, stay off the computer - Don't do anything that requires putting my head in a certain position and holding it there, especially knitting and crocheting. It has to do with the nerves in the neck that run up into the base of the skull. I have just now taken up knitting again after not knitting for at least 2 years. (It's almost like having to start learning all over again!) But even now, I have to limit the time I work on it and I have to change positions, get up and walk around, anything to relax my muscles and to give the nerves that are strained a break. And I can still feel headaches easing back in and have to take longer breaks. And I don't dare mention the headaches to my husband 'cause he'll want to me quit knitting completely again. :(

I know the doctors are supposed to be the experts, but you are the one that knows your body best and what works and doesn't work. Take care and do what your body needs you to do.

suziehomemaker
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
I know that I am not doing everything I should to prevent these from happening. I work from home and I'm on the computer from 8:30 to 5:00. I do try to take frequent breaks and look out the window or do a load of laundry. Right now it's the end of a quarter for me and in sales that's the most stressful time. I'm hoping that by tomorrow morning my stress will be gone and I'll be playing with my son with no migraine.

I can hope!

dustinac
09-28-2007, 09:40 AM
:hug:I'm sorry, I hope you feel better soon :hug:...I used to get migraines a lot but haven't had one for awhile *knock on wood*....

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Stress does play a big part in this, and DH never had headaches until he started having to take blood pressure medications. It can become a vicious cycle.....now he daily has to take meds for the blood pressure AND DAILY migraines.

I'm praying for you to feel better.

suziehomemaker
09-28-2007, 12:02 PM
This one is finally letting up after I took 2 aleve, 1 maxalt and an extra large hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts. It's not quite gone yet but it's getting much better.

I know that I'm lucky to not have the throwing up and not function migraines so I'm going to continue to be patient and go through all of the steps until I find something that works.

Man! You know it's bad when it interferes with the knitting!

ChrissyB
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Hello. Just wanted to say hope you are feeling better, and thougt I might offer a thought. If you are haveing menstrul/ pre-menstral headaches you might consider checking out Yaz which is a new birthcontrol that has a medication that helps to control pmdd (sever pms symptoms including headaces). It is also lower hormones which might also help. My midwife also suggested vitamin B6 and calcium with vitamin D and magnesium to help decrease swelling associated with headaces. I hope you are feeling better!:muah:

thalia326
09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Suz, I know this may sound like a strange question, but how much garlic do you consume? My mother used to have low blood pressure and was always suffering from headaches as well. She had been taking garlic pills for a while and adding more to her food after she caught a particularly nasty cold and was told the garlic would help with her immune system. Problem is, it also naturally lowers bp. End result? She passed out cold one day at work with a bp of 70/40. Doc found out she's been upping the garlic and told her to stop immediately. Her blood pressured normalized and her headaches subsided as well.

Another suggestion is to look into semi-alternative therapies. I used to go to an osteopath who also did accupuncture. He had been working solely as a medical osteo for years but realized there was something to be said for Eastern therapy as well. He went back to school to learn how to incorporate the two. I found him to be very helpful for my migraines and low back pain; he not only got to the root of the physical problem, he also helped with dietary and environmental factors as well. Wish I had him near me now!

Good luck to you!

suziehomemaker
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Suz, I know this may sound like a strange question, but how much garlic do you consume?

Garlic would just happen to be my favorite flavor! I use minced garlic in many of our meals and my husband and I have a saying "you can never add too much garlic".

I did hear about Yaz and my next female doc appt is in January so I will ask about it then. I'm taking Seasonale for that very reason so I can only have 4 PMS migraines instead of 12.

hellokitty165
10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry that you are going thru so much pain ...

you can try Lavender Flowers (buds) and steep it like you do in tea... try for a week and see how you feel..

that works for me when i got migraine... sometime could be there is too much acidity in your stomach that is causing the migraine... try eating more alkaline food ...like potatoes or read below for more info...

ALKALIZING
VEGETABLES
Alfalfa
Barley Grass
Beets
Beet Greens
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrot
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard Greens
Chlorella
Collard Greens
Cucumber
Dandelions
Dulce
Edible Flowers
Eggplant
Fermented Veggies
Garlic
Green Beans
Green Peas
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Mustard Greens
Nightshade Veggies
Onions
Parsnips (high glycemic)
Peas
Peppers
Pumpkin
Radishes
Rutabaga
Sea Veggies
Spinach, green
Spirulina
Sprouts
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes
Watercress
Wheat Grass
Wild Greens

ALKALIZING
ORIENTAL VEGETABLES
Maitake
Daikon
Dandelion Root
Shitake
Kombu
Reishi
Nori
Umeboshi
Wakame

ALKALIZING
FRUITS
Apple
Apricot
Avocado
Banana (high glycemic)
Berries
Blackberries
Cantaloupe
Cherries, sour
Coconut, fresh
Currants
Dates, dried
Figs, dried
Grapes
Grapefruit
Honeydew Melon
Lemon
Lime
Muskmelons
Nectarine
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Raisins
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tangerine
Tomato
Tropical Fruits
Umeboshi Plums
Watermelon

ALKALIZING
PROTEIN
Almonds
Chestnuts
Millet
Tempeh (fermented)
Tofu (fermented)
Whey Protein Powder

ALKALIZING
SWEETENERS
Stevia

ALKALIZING
SPICES & SEASONINGS
Cinnamon
Curry
Ginger
Mustard
Chili Pepper
Sea Salt
Miso
Tamari
All Herbs

ALKALIZING
OTHER
Apple Cider Vinegar
Bee Pollen
Lecithin Granules
Molasses, blackstrap
Probiotic Cultures
Soured Dairy Products
Green Juices
Veggie Juices
Fresh Fruit Juice
Mineral Water
Alkaline Antioxidant Water

ALKALIZING MINERALS
Cesium: pH 14
Potassium: pH 14
Sodium: pH 14
Calcium: pH 12
Magnesium: pH 9

Although it might seem that citrus fruits would have an acidifying effect on the body, the citric acid they contain actually has an alkalinizing effect in the system.

hope you feel better...

willowangel
10-03-2007, 04:44 AM
I'm seconding the magnets thing - I have no idea how it works, really, but it just really, really does for me. A friend of mine borrowed some of mine for chronic migraines that he'd been off work with for months and they gave him relief within a couple of days. I use them on pressure points in my neck, and anywhere else it's sore, and it just relieves pain really quickly.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on them - there are all these sites pushing expensive magnets, but the ones I found that work (in the UK anyway) are in the pain relief section - they're tiny little magnets on plasters, you get 12 for about 4, and they're reusable - just take the magnets off the plasters when you're done and cut up normal cheap plasters after that. I keep the magnets in a little tin. I was very skeptical about them, but was desperate, and would try anything. Luckily, for me, they worked. Figure they're worth a try, anyway :-)