PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Araucania

threesmom
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on Aracania Nature Wool? I looked at Knitters Review, but I didn't see a review for it :tap:. So, if you have knit with it, can you tell me how you liked it? How soft is it? Would it work for a sweater? A cardigan-y sort of sweater? How does it knit up?

Thanks all - without a yarn shop close by, I need to rely on you to be my fingers and eyes!

rosefields
08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
IMHO, it is similar to Cascade 220 in texture, maybe a little coarser...I have only felted with it and I love the way it felts up!

I am not sure about using it for a sweater :shrug: Hopefully you will get input on that from other KH'ers..

Eloewien
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a sweater made of it-- definitely softened after washing... I still wear a tank top underneath, but I'm pretty sensitive. It's fine on the arms, just not more sensitive areas.

Momto G B and H
08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I found it fairly scratchy. If you'd like, I can mail you a piece of it for you to feel.
PM me your address.

bip
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I made this sweater with Araucania Nature Wool:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/bpiercy/th_KnittingFOs006.jpg (http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/bpiercy/KnittingFOs006.jpg)

As I was knitting, thought it would be scratchy. It was nice to work with, I just had this sense that it was scratchy. I am pretty sensitive, but in the end, it turned out not to be a problem. I do wear a t-shirt under it, but that is to protect the sweater, not myself. It doesn't bother my arms or neck. It would bug me if I didn't have a t-shirt, but I even wear a t under my cashmere sweater. My LYS has a great price on it, and I love the color runs. I will definitely use it again in the future.

threesmom
08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks! You guys confirmed what I thought - that it might be a bit scratchy - but that it washes up softer is good to know.

And thanks, bip, for the photo - I was hoping it had color gradations like that, and now I know. Sometimes it's so hard to tell!

And I so appreciate the offer, MommaGBH! I would take you up on it in a heartbeat, but I think I might just go ahead and get some - WEBS is having a sale on it - at least half off, I think, and since they have other things I want, I think I'll be placing an order soon! Plus I need swap stuff. I checked out your blog - your daughter is adorable! - Good luck in your swap - It's not the KH one, is it?

I looked at yours too, Eloewein - That's a pretty impressive stole! I'd love to see it finished!

bip
08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep, my mom is visiting from Washington state next week and we are making a trip to Webs. Nature Wool is on my list. I got the blue for the sweater there last January (it was on sale, but not as much as it is now), it was so hard to choose the color! I think maybe I need some sort of green...

Julie
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
It's my absolute favorite felting yarn -- it felts really easily and gets this totally cool nubby texture. :thumbsup:

threesmom
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Yep, my mom is visiting from Washington state next week and we are making a trip to Webs. Nature Wool is on my list. I got the blue for the sweater there last January (it was on sale, but not as much as it is now), it was so hard to choose the color! I think maybe I need some sort of green...

I'm officially jealous!

So Julie, you're saying if I want a nice felted bag, (and I do) this would be a good yarn choice!

brendajos
08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
wondering if this is going to be the only post i am going to be able to make from work now that i have logged in here... imagining site getting blocked now that i have logged in...lol

I have used this for felting and think it is great. I am not sure I would want to wear it but it sounds like it wears fairly okay. One thing that I have found INCREDIBLY annoying with their yarns though is that they are TERRIBLE at winding a hank. Every hank I have gotten has been a mess to unwind. Of course the colors are so pretty that I forget this until I take the band off and look at it again...lol

dustinac
08-30-2007, 11:29 AM
wondering if this is going to be the only post i am going to be able to make from work now that i have logged in here... imagining site getting blocked now that i have logged in...lol

:!!!:I don't like your new job :verysad:
still happy you got it though but ya know...

:happydance: a new feltable yarn to put on my try list... thanks :thumbsup:

Eloewien
08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I can't send a direct link, but I've got pictures on my website-- which is blocked from work :P http://www.dragonwingarts.com/gallery

There are pictures under the sweater category, I belive-- I made the Simple Knitted Bodice out of Nature wool and love how it came out!

threesmom
08-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Eleowein - I love that!! Love it! I would love it in ANY yarn - and I really do like the variation, subtle, but there. Where, oh where did you get that pattern?

Thanks so much for the link - and is that your infant? She's adorable! I love the tiny babies!!

jeanius80
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
i have been wanting to knit a cardigan in the teal colorway and i was going to buy it from littleknits.. all sold out now.. (like i needed another project)