PDA

View Full Version : Chunky alpaca trouble (or just newbie woes)

guyknitter
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi, my name is Edwardo. I'm trying to knit a scarf for my girlfriend in time for the winter. I'm new to knitting, hence starting in August.
I'm using chunky alpaca with needle size 13 for the first time. The last stitch in a row is always a big loose loopy stitch. How can I avoid it?

Also, as I knit the stitches, the yarn between the two needles get longer and longer. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Knitter wannabe.
(tick tock tick tock...)

mornnen
08-29-2007, 11:08 AM
[quote=guyknitter;947603]Hi, my name is Edwardo. I'm trying to knit a scarf for my girlfriend in time for the winter. I'm new to knitting, hence starting in August.
I'm using chunky alpaca with needle size 13 for the first time. The last stitch in a row is always a big loose loopy stitch. How can I avoid it?

Hi Edwardo--
to take are of that last stitch loopiness, pull it tight, give it a good tug after that stitch is on the right needle.

Also, as I knit the stitches, the yarn between the two needles get longer and longer. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you are knitting loosely. I would suggest keeping the stitches you are just about to knit really close to the point of the left needle, and putting them on the right needle right where it gets to it's full width.-- that way the yarn doesn't have to be long between the stitches. I would also make sure that the loops you've just knit are snug against the needle.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, and welcome!

Mornnen

GiddyKnitter
08-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Edwardo
I agree with Mornnen you are knitting too loose...I also think that maybe your needles are a bit thick for your first project...Until you get the hang of knitting maybe a smaller needle would be better...Once you get the hang of it and get confident then swap around with different needles and yarn. Well done and your girlfriend is going to be so pleased. xx

debinoz
08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
What cast on did you use? I only seem to have the problem of the yarn growing longer when I've used the backward loop. Also if you're able, slipping the first stitch on every row will take away some of the loopiness of that last stitch since you'll only be knitting it every other time. (If you're knitting flat) I should also add that I am by NO means an expert... just my opinion. (end disclaimer)

Friskums
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Slip the first stitch of every row (as if you were going to purl it) and knit the last stitch of every row. That will pull the loop over two rows of knitting and keep it nice and tidy looking. :thumbsup: