PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a nose piercing...

itsjustmeghan
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
so here it is, 10 years after graduating high school when i originally wanted to get it done. i'm married, own a house, have a baby, and am starting a new job on wednesday. what do i want to do? something stupid i guess. i'm thinking about piercing my nose.
just a simple cute little stud. right there (points to nose on left side).
i'm not worried about the new job and the piercing. they are hiring me contract for the first 90 days, and then they'll hire me on full time if they like my work. i'll be working from home and occasionally traveling. they've never seen me, just read my resume, talked to me online and saw my tests i took. so as far as they're concerned, i've had this piercing for years.
then why am i worried? i guess i feel like i'm too old for this kinda thing. i'm only 28. i guess it's because of all the other stuff (hubby, house, kid) that i feel like i'm supposed to be over this piercing thing. i have 8 holes in my ears already and 2 tattoos. i'm not new to this piercing thing...strange how i feel like society expects me to be a certain way, and it actually makes me hesitate..when most 28 yr olds i know would do it without a second thought....

then why am i nervous about it?
i think it's the worry about the pain...
it'd be fun to go in on friday with nose pierced for my last day on teh job. hahaha

a friend and i are going downtown for a day of shopping tomorrow....she said she'd go with me to get it pierced....

worst case, i take it out and i've wasted a bit of cash....right?

what to do....what to do....

Lady Violet
08-29-2007, 11:59 PM
i really like small studs. mine isn't pierced, and i have no interest in getting it pierced. but i do really like to look at them. strange. anyway, sounds to me like you know exactly what you want. think of it this way. you've spent the last ten years earning it. if i still wanted something like that after ten years, i'd go for it. chances are, the desire is there to stay. like you said, you can always just take it out. you're definitely not too old for anything. i'm the same age, and i'm trying to figure out how to add some purple to my hair as soon as it's long enough to not just look strange. that's something i've wanted to do for ten years (although it's gone from blue to purple :teehee:). i say get it done. don't forget to show us pictures! :happydance:

zip
08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Do it! If you don't, you'll still want it the following day. It's perfect for your last day of work and a fresh new start.

jjminarcik
08-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Do it!!!! If you don't like it you can always take it out. And if you don't do it, you'll probably wonder "what if". . .

itsjustmeghan
08-30-2007, 06:51 AM
i think i'm gonna do it...we'll see how adventurous i get today! hehehe.
as for the purple hair? GO FOR IT! you can either do it yourself using a lightening kit and manic panic, or you could get it done in a salon. they have a lot of new dyes out there that have very bold colors that last a long time. heck, i wouldn't be surprised if there was purple dye sold in the box at the grocery now!

Silver
08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm going to be 35 this year. My kids are 13 & (almost) 16, and I've been married for 15 years.

I just got my nose pierced (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=909772#post909772) about 6 weeks ago. The pain is different for everyone, but I swear, it did not hurt me. It felt like someone flicked me on the nose. I'm soooo happy I had it done. I love my nose ring. If you want it, do it. And post pix!! :)

Silver
08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
i'm trying to figure out how to add some purple to my hair as soon as it's long enough to not just look strange. that's something i've wanted to do for ten years (although it's gone from blue to purple :teehee:). i say get it done. don't forget to show us pictures! :happydance:
Check out Manic Panic (http://www.manicpanic.com/best_of_best.html). I'm considering the cotton candy pink... :teehee:

VictoiseC
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
The only voice of dissent: No. You're beautiful enough as is.

sinistral_needler
08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't do it. If I would get a cold and have to blow my nose, I would be concerned about unitentional across-the-room casualtys. (I know, I am a DORK.)

Friskums
08-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I've had my nose pierced for (my god) 10 years and that's never happened. Nor have I heard of it actually happening to anyone I know. Just sayin'. ;)

I say go for it. Worse case is that you don't like it and take it out and it heals up. Unless it's in there for a long time, it won't even leave a scar. :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been thinking lately about doing this too. I just passed my 20 year reunion so I am 38 for pete's sake. I like the little studs too. My mom would freak, but who cares!:teehee:
What I wanna know is...on the inside is it flat or does it poke into your septum? I don't want that. I have pesky hay fever and blow my nose alot. I don't want to poke a hole on the inside of my nose. Any input on that?
DH says..."whatever, I don't care" but then he says, "would work care?" I'm guessing not since my boss has one.

Friskums
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
There are nose screws (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_jw/102-0540340-4344900?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Djewelry&field-keywords=nose+screw) or just plain posts.

Mine is actually a 16 gauge monroe stud (http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-Piercing-Internally-Threaded-Labret/dp/B000OJ1QYG/ref=pd_sbs_jw_2/105-6541545-4058037) that I wear "upside down" so the flat back is on the outside and the post is inside.
It's short enough that I don't poke myself with it when I blow my nose.

BinkyKat
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
so does the stud type with the little ball on one end come apart or do you sort of force the bulb part through and thus a back/nut isn't needed to hold it in? i've seen the screw types but didnt' realize they are sort of curved to keep them in.
sorry to hijack with questions of my own....thanks for starting the thread:thumbsup:

Friskums
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
The post with the stone/whatever at one end and the the bulb of metal at the other, you force the bulb through, which helps keep it secured and also so it doesn't really have a pointy pokeyness.

tootie44
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I had my nose pierced in college. I liked it. When I got tired of it I took it out and it grew over and you would never know to look at my nose. That was nearly 15 years ago!

I used to get special studs that had just a longer flexible wire instead of a post with a backing. The wire would lat flat against the inside of your nose to hold it secure.

itsjustmeghan
08-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I did it! :woohoo: it's pretty cute!
i got a little freaked about it right before it happened, but then i was happy i did it! i have that monroe style post, in light blue and silver. the piercing guy was really nice. and so far, it just feels like i have a little scratch on my nose. the poke itself wasn't bad. i held my breath a bit which didn't help. my friend got her cartilage (upper ear) pierced, and hers looked like it hurt a bit more then mine.
i'll post pictures after owen goes to bed. he likes to get the camera and "help". hehehe.

dakatzmeow
08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
i've been thinking about this, but my worries about my profession (nursing) are holding me back. i'm exposed to so many bad bad bad germs that i'd be afraid of infection. if i did it, i really want one of those teeny weeny diamond chips. the kind you have to look twice to see if it's glitter, or a piercing.

i also want to have a professional piercer do my cartilage on my left ear. i've literally had it done 4-5 times and could never get it to heal. :(

itsjustmeghan
08-30-2007, 09:59 PM
here it is!

Friskums
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Cute!! :cheering:

Lady Violet
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
YAY!!!! :cheering:
it looks perfect on you!
you look so happy. :)

itsjustmeghan
08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
thanks!
i would have smiled bigger, but my dh was giving me a hard time about looking goofy in my pictures i take of myself while i was taking pictures. :teehee: thanks dear....

jjminarcik
08-30-2007, 11:14 PM
I LOVE IT! :heart::heart: It looks great on you!

Now can you talk my DH into letting me get one? :teehee:

Silver
08-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Congrats! It looks great!

BinkyKat
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
:teehee:
..note to self...time to get the eyebrows waxed...

threesmom
08-31-2007, 05:38 PM
You both look great! I want one now too!

BinkyKat
08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
dooooo iiiiiittttttt......:poke:

Silver
08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Yay Binky! Welcome to the club!!!

Yes, dooooo itttttt Beth. You'll love it!

jjminarcik
08-31-2007, 10:22 PM
:waah: I want one, too!

threesmom
09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
:waah: I want one, too!

:psst: maybe if you do it, I will too ....

So first it was all the yarn, then a nose ring, and I'm thinking about a tattoo .... how do I tell folks that I've been corrupted by a group of .... knitters???

jjminarcik
09-01-2007, 06:49 PM
If there is any way I can convince DH, I am soooo doing it! It may take awhile to work on him though. Our anniversary is coming up so I guess I'll have to do a lot of:flirt:.

But tattoos? I love them. I have 3. :poke: Get one, but warning they are addictive!

I wouldn't say you're being corrupted by knitters. . . we just support each other through everything! :grphug:

dakatzmeow
09-01-2007, 10:15 PM
i want one toooooooooooo!!!!!!!! waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

itsjustmeghan
09-01-2007, 10:23 PM
hehehe lots of poking our noses! the more the merrier!
mine is a little inflamed, emailed the piercer and he said i should do cold compresses and take some asprin. so i've been doing taht. hopefully it goes back to normal soon. the little swelling i have is putting some pressure on the stud. it's definitely helping though.
DH keeps telling me "the same thing happened whenever you got your ear pierced, it just wasn't on your face, so you didn't notice!" hahaha
i bet he's right. :teehee:

i say just bring a friend and go get it done! your DH will love it! why? because they're so gosh darned cute!

Boogs
09-02-2007, 06:48 AM
I got my nose pierced at 27 - I call it my 'not quite a quarter-life crisis'!! :aww:

It didn't hurt one bit and once the area was totally healed I changed the stud out for a screw-in one which has been there ever since. :)

I don't even notice it most of the time, it's just 'there'.

itsjustmeghan
09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
so, has anyone else taken the plunge and gotten a poke?!
mine is healed up nicely! i can't wait to get a little hoop in there. or a little more obvious stud. the one i have right now is a pale blue stone, and i think i need something a little more bold!:eyebrow:

Silver
09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
I had some trouble with mine healing. It developed a little bump next to it that was completely stubborn and immune to my relentless cleaning and maintenance. :help: But BinkyKat told me about treating it with Tea Tree Oil, which is what I did, and poof, the bump went away! :cheering:

itsjustmeghan
09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
great tip! i've heard of those bumps and was scared i'd get one. i keep tea tree oil around (great to add to hair products) so i'll definitely keep that in mind!
thanks, silver/binkykat!
ps. i can't wait to see that tattoo, silver!

dustinac
09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I had some trouble with mine healing. It developed a little bump next to it that was completely stubborn and immune to my relentless cleaning and maintenance. :help: But BinkyKat told me about treating it with Tea Tree Oil, which is what I did, and poof, the bump went away! :cheering:

ohh I wonder would this work for earrings? I have tried 3/4 times to get one at the top of my ear and no matter what I do to treat it, what ear I try it in, or how expensive the stud is...I can't get them to heal....now when I bring this up dh says your not going to be happy till you have your ears fall off but hrmmm maybe one more try with the tea tree oil....:think:

Thanks Silver and BlinkyKat :thumbsup: