PDA

View Full Version : Counted Cross Stitch-Pics added

Stonington
08-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Morning! Do any of you know if there is a Cross Stitch Forum similar to our knitting forum? My DD asked for a sweatshirt with butterflies cross stitched on it.. one for each of the 2 babies. It has been years since I have done anything like this and would love some guidance.

Thanks! :hug:
anne

Ellieblue
08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
There is a sewing forum(including xst) on the garden web forum. I would suggest you use 14ct waste canvas for your work. There are free patterns if you search under xst
patterns. :star:

brendajos
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
well it isn't like this one i don't think but my mom lurks around on the forum on 123-stitch. I think the website is www.123stitch.com (http://www.123stitch.com) but that is blocked at work so i can't go there to verify it. the website might have the hyphen in it.

I think mostly they just post pictures of their FOs... at least that's all she shows me when i am at her house. Might be helpful though?

Stonington
08-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Ellie,
Does the waste canvas come in different counts? I found a beautiful butterfly for the back of the shirt, but would like to have it be a bit larger than the pattern shows.

Thank you both for your help! :)
anne

Ellieblue
08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
that's a good question. I used 14ct but you could work over two sets of threads and that would give you 7ct sts. I've only tried one item using this method and can tell you that it holds up very well to washing; good luck. Ellie:sun:

Stonington
08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
that's a good question. I used 14ct but you could work over two sets of threads and that would give you 7ct sts. I've only tried one item using this method and can tell you that it holds up very well to washing; good luck. Ellie:sun:

Thank you! :hug: I can't wait to get started. Just waiting to find out what color sweat shirt she wants... that will influence the color of the butterflies.

Hope you have a great weekend!

anne

Ellieblue
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
you too Anne. we will probably be going to our regional fair . Love to look at all the quilts.Ellie :cheering:

Stonington
09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Quilts! DH usually knows where to find me lol.. We are going to the Common Ground Fair.. they usually have lots of fiber crafters there. Hope you had a great time! :)
anne

vaknitter
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I am a recovering counted cross stitchers and if memory serves me waste canvas comes in 8, 10, 14 count.

From personal experience I would suggest you hot wash and dry the clothing you are going to stitch to prior to starting - that was if the color is going to bleed or shrink it does so without ruining all your hard work. I also found it was easiest to work with a ring holding the work to keep the shirt under constant tension.

Stonington
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Vaknitter,

Thanks! I will do those things. I cross stitched tigger on a t-shirt years ago. Will take a bit to get back into cross stitch mode. Kind of excited though :)

anne

vaknitter
09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I love counted cross stitch and really miss it at times. I'm hoping my brother will get married soon so I can cross stitch something for him...maybe a nice tavern sign. OOOHHH I could cross stitch a sweatshirt for my niece...

I switched to knitting b/c my parents have no more wall space or couch space to hang cross stitch or show off pillows and neither do I or my MIL. Plus, I dislocated my thumb on my left hand and have trouble holding onto the aida cloth anymore.

Best of luck and show us pictures of the sweatshirts when you're done !!!

Stonington
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
VA... I will post pictures.. Hope to get it started this weekend. :)

anne

Stonington
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I love counted cross stitch and really miss it at times. I'm hoping my brother will get married soon so I can cross stitch something for him...maybe a nice tavern sign. OOOHHH I could cross stitch a sweatshirt for my niece...

I switched to knitting b/c my parents have no more wall space or couch space to hang cross stitch or show off pillows and neither do I or my MIL. Plus, I dislocated my thumb on my left hand and have trouble holding onto the aida cloth anymore.

Best of luck and show us pictures of the sweatshirts when you're done !!!

I finished DD's sweatshirt this weekend. She wanted the babe's names on the front but I did not figure correctly so ended up using their initials. The sweatshirt is cotton candy pink although it does not show well in the pics (cell phone camera) The butterflies are shades of blue and shades of purple.

Thanks for all of your help!
anne

vaknitter
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
It turned out beautifully !! Congratulations, I'm sure your daughter will love it :cheering:

Ronda
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
That turned out great! ;-)

meearnol
10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Beautiful!