PDA

View Full Version : Knit down? up?

karne
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I've seen a lot of patterns lately for sweaters - knit down. I'm assuming that means knitting from the neck down, instead of the bottom up. What's the advantage to that? Is is easier?

I usually knit socks 'down' - from the top down, but recently tried one from the toe up. I did fine on the toe and the foot but completely got lost on turning the heel. It was a lovely sock, cabled ... snif...but after frogging the heel 4 times, I had to admit I couldn't do it. it was such a pretty sock...

anyway, I would hate to get into the same kind of trouble with a sweater.. more yarn and time invested.

Just curious as to the feelings about the up or down thang.

Thank you :)

Ingrid
08-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Knitting from the top down usually results in a sweater that isn't seamed--always a nice thing.

However, you can also knit seamless bottom-up sweaters.

I'm not sure if there is really an advantage of one over the other, though.:think:

losnana
08-30-2007, 08:18 PM
It may a bit easier to try on a top sweater. You have the shoulders to hold the rest up, rather than stepping in it and trying to hold it and measure at the same time.

Jan in CA
08-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Top down sweaters can be tried on as you knit whereas bottom up can't, but other than that I don't see a huge advantage. I've done both on baby sweaters.

giedre11
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
But doesn't NOT having a side seam make the sweater hang differently? Wouldn't it be more like a balloon? I've never tried it, but currently am working on one. It's one concern I have.

suzeeq
08-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Nope, the ones I've made hang fine.

Ingrid
08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Mine do, as well. But if you every want to add a 'seam' you can drop a stitch all the way down to the edge and then pick it up every other bar--an EZ idea.

Limey
08-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Sometimes it depends on what you want to knit - the seamless little cardies I've made for babies, toddlers and small children turned out fine.

However, being of a 'delicately ample' build, I'd hate to wear a cardi or jumper that hadn't got side seams. I'm knitting myself a long, duffle-style cardi in worsted wool, which would look a bit rum without the structure of side seams, not to mention the risk of being picked up and blown away like a balloon in a stiff breeze.

All the Best

suzeeq
08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
A cardigan maybe would need something to structure it a bit, but a pullover, especially at zero or negative ease, doesn't need it. Rather than `hanging' it conforms to the body's shape.

PugMom
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
I've been addicted to top down raglan sweaters for the past 2 months (I'm on #4 for myself, with #5 waiting to be cast on...). It's great to be able to try it on as I go to see where waist shaping should be and to make sure I like the length - the customization factor is great. Plus, they're so simple and quick! And they do all conform to my body, so no worries of "balloon" issues.

Queen of Rust
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Top down also allows you a bit more breathing space if you're tight on yardage. You just keep knitting until you run out. If it's still too short, just throw in a stripe of complimentary yarn to finish the rest of the bottom. Or just decided that a bordello sweater is just what the knitting doctor ordered:X:
You can do seamless sweaters both bottom up and top down. I prefer the top down for most of my sweaters because I like my sweaters to be fitted and so I'm constantly trying them on during the knitting process.

karne
08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
I can see the 'trying on' advantage of the top down method. something that's hard to do when knitting from the bottom up.

Well, I'm about convinced to try it. I'll start looking through the millions of patterns out there and on my computer to find one :)

This is when I need Ravelry! (I'm #24543 with 13402 people ahead of me in line)

suzeeq
08-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, with bottom up, the only thing you can really try on and see how it looks are the sleeves. And that's not always foolproof.

jberry16
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been addicted to top down raglan sweaters for the past 2 months (I'm on #4 for myself, with #5 waiting to be cast on...). It's great to be able to try it on as I go to see where waist shaping should be and to make sure I like the length - the customization factor is great. Plus, they're so simple and quick! And they do all conform to my body, so no worries of "balloon" issues.
what pattern are you using? I'd love to try 'em. Has anyone had any luck with this (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.cfm)one?

PugMom
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
what pattern are you using? I'd love to try 'em. Has anyone had any luck with this (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.cfm)one?

That pattern is similar to the one I've used. I follow a pattern from a Craftster knit-along. Once you get the basic pattern down, you can do a lot of customization. My current one is a cabled turtleneck that is looking great thus far!