PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned from History?

ADAllen
08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
If you don't learn from history it will repeat itself, and it seems Sydney hasn't learned. Modern Day Trojan Horse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3SfNANtig)

figaro
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
That is so funny!

Stiney
08-31-2007, 09:16 AM
The first, is never get involved in a land war in Asia.

The other, and only slightly less well known is, never go head to head with a Sicilian when death is on the line!

:shifty:

That was actually really funny. :rofl:

Silver
08-31-2007, 09:16 AM
LMAO That was so funny!!

ADAllen
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM

The other, and only slightly less well known is, never go head to head with a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Stiney you just made my day!!:roflhard:

Stiney
08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I've been craving watching that movie all summer, and my box is sitting in a box in my mother's house, 250 miles away. :waah:

iza
08-31-2007, 09:40 AM
:roflhard: too funny!:chair:

ADAllen
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I've been craving watching that movie all summer, and my box is sitting in a box in my mother's house, 250 miles away. :waah:
I love that movie. I knew my hubby was dateable the first time I walked into his apartment and saw that he had it on DVD and VHS. It won't completely fix your craving, but you could try watching Stardust. It doesn't have Indigo, but it is pretty darn funny.

marykz
08-31-2007, 09:43 AM
HA! very clever. and the end was very funny.

Susan P.
08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Feel sorry for us Sydneysiders with what we are going through because of the APEC conference. Even Bush decided to apologise to the people of Sydney! Train stations will close for days, the Opera House closes, air space is heavily demarked across the city, half of our CBD is on lockout, all those business have to completely alter trading and business process to accommodate, poor zoo animals are being hauled across to an island in our harbour for the 'spouses' to look at rather than risking their presence at our zoo....it goes on and on.

That program the vid came from is a satire on News (Chaser War on Everything). They do some very naughty things - some I disagree with - but it did show how lax most security is when something novel appears. I can guarantee heads would have rolled over that. I wonder when it was filmed though also. I doubt it was very recent.

BUT, own a fancy car and boy you can make some wonderful dollars this month if a chosen APEC driver. I won't tell you how much one young man is getting. But it's worth a drool :) Then again, it shows the obscene amounts spent on these junkets.

marykz
08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
too many bureaucrats aren't good for anyone!!! I bet the city will be in chaos.

Australia is our dream vacation- someday we will get to see your beautiful country in person!

ADAllen
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I’m sorry if I’ve offended you. I thought the video was funny because I could easily imagine that happening near me (despite the 9/11 increases in security). I’ve been to Sydney and loved it. My hubby and I have talked several times about moving there or to New Zealand.

Susan P.
08-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I wasn't offended at all. What did I say to suggest that?

I do have a wee issue at times with the Chaser guys because, ok, an example, they set up outside a football match and were selling (fake?) knuckle dusters etc. They wound up in court over in and got off. So, they do push the envelope at times but I thought the horse a classic example of how people can get away with things if they look appropriate for the setting. I've been into a tv station carpark here twice in the past few months and was not able to get past the boom until my name was checked on their formal list etc. And yet was a ruddy great horse that was allowed straight it - even though the guard saw it wasn't on the list. However, it LOOKED legitimate.

Maybe it's a cultural perspective but here we'd be more bemused about that vid and would then comment on security issues. It's not the sort of vid we would roll around laughing over. In fact the only thing I've seen here that I do think most of my countrymen and women would really laugh over was the Richard Simmons one. Don't get me wrong, we have a great sense of humour, but we generally will look beyond the moment at something that needs to be fixed!

And re APEC. Well, it is the asia/pacific forum and because of terrorism it will always be stepped up now. But the Bush presence does add significant layers. Gore's visit impacted enough at the time let alone this. I think most people I know are seeing it as pain but..whatcanyado? Anyone I know who works in the CBD in say IT or marketing etc is working from home from Wednesday on and just avoiding the city entirely.

mulene
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Feel sorry for us Sydneysiders with what we are going through because of the APEC conference.

I do feel for you guys - my brother lives in Sydney and its going to cause havoc to his working days!

You are lucky tho - you live in my favourite city in the world =D If only I could hit enough points on the immigration documents I'd be there *sigh* My parents should have taken the 10 junket to Aus. Dad decided it was too far from Ireland grrr!

mornnen
09-01-2007, 02:16 PM

That was actually really funny. :rofl:

I see someone other than myself can quote from "The Princess Bride"! :teehee:

IBAmyB
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM

"Ha Ha Ha, Ha Ha Ha".... Klunk!

I :heart: that movie! It's my favorite of all time!

For those of you who love the movie, make sure you read the book, it's even better!!!!!!!!!!!

zip
09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
:roflhard: That was awesome!

Mariblue
09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
For those of you who love the movie, make sure you read the book, it's even better!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, The book and movie are both awesome!

Susan P.
09-01-2007, 07:49 PM
well mulene..I didn't know until yesterday about this quasi obscene wall going up in the city. 2.8m high of cement and wire to basically wall off all these powers and allow them the run of the opera house etc. They are predicting mass protests now..well..is that a surprise?

Went to dinner last night and waiter was Irish. Lovely person and a whole table hear us were all Irish :)

mum2caden
09-02-2007, 12:27 AM
That was hilarious- so then I watched some more, and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1N351vzY-M&mode=related&search=

Now THAT had me rolling on the floor laughing, hehehe.

Susan P.
09-02-2007, 12:57 AM
rolling on the floor? gosh, you better home here and watch our home grown TV as you would be cracking up all day long! :)

I tell you tho..those people interviewed had pretty bad general knowledge! :)

mum2caden
09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Susan- I know all about Aussie TV. We lived there for a year and will be going back (to stay) as soon as we can manage! :)

Australia is my favorite place in the world. I even have and Aussie tattoo...and I'm Canadian!

Susan P.
09-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Now I'm curious..what is your tattoo of? :)

mum2caden
09-02-2007, 10:28 PM
It's the stars off the flag and I have it on my lower back. I plan to add to it though and get other things around it.

I thought it was kind of funny when I was getting it done, someone saw it and then started being nasty.. "why do people get such boring tattoos... no stories behind them" so I told him the entire story of why just 'stars' (which is what it looked like to him) and what they meant to me and why... I think he stopped complaining about other peoples tattoos after that, lol. He just kept apologizing...

Susan P.
09-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Oz quiz 101.. and what are those stars called? :)

Glad he apologised..there is almost always a story behind a tattoo..unless you are blind drunk and just point at the first thing you see when going in :)