PDA

View Full Version : People do this on purpose?! WHY!

Nobones
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
I read a couple days ago on a thread here about the film 'Beaches' and how some people love it and like to watch it.

This morning I was at my local DVD rental and picked it up. The lady said if you like this you'll love 'Steel Magnolias'. So I ended up getting them both.

Well thanks very much ladies! I have spent the afternoon wailing away, got through nearly a whole box of tissues and 2 (large) bars of chocolate. You do this to yourselves on purpose? Why? I feel dreadful.

I'll stick to my action adventure flicks thanks. :teehee:

dustinac
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
:teehee: Yeah I cry everytime on Steel Magnolis... and Terms of Endearment...:shrug: I don't know why I do it to myself... dh asks the same thing....

BinkyKat
08-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Not sure why we do...but I know I do...grrr.
The end of Braveheart does it to me too. And the end of Bicentennial Man of all things. Somewhere in Time. Any movie where "boy loses love of his life for ever."
For some reason I bawled like a maniac at The Green Mile. I must be sympathetic to well meaning death row prison inmates :shrug:
I cried when Padme died and Anakin realized she was gone in Episode 3...sci fi sad can get me too.:doh:

Silver
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
The Notebook. omg.. I cannot watch that movie anymore.

Sara
08-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I bawl at the end of Father of the Bride. Every time.

Of course, I'll cry at sappy commercials, too.:roll:

blueeyes28
08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I love:heart: The Notebook I think that is one of the best love stories ever!!!! I use to work in a couple of Nursing homes with people suffering from alzhiemerz and other forms of dementia and I ached daily for those devoted spouses that showed up every day looking for the slightest sign that they recognized them.Now thats love.

figaro
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Sometimes it feels good to have a good cry like that!:waah:

Although the epi of Oprah yesterday made me cry a bunch. She gave everyone in her audience a while ago $1000 each to go out and do something good with it. One lady heard of a family whose husband had a tumor and they had 9 kids and could not work. She ended up getting over $70,000 for him and his family, all because Oprah gave her $1000 to "pay it forward". The whole show was full of stories like that, just made me ball for the entire hour!

orcoastknitter
08-31-2007, 07:27 PM
When I watched Beaches for the first time I cried like a baby. I was still a little red in the face when I returned it. The clerk asked me if everything was ok.. I just handed him the movie and he looked at the title and he said "ahh I understand" and smiled at me. :teehee:

brendajos
08-31-2007, 07:38 PM
lol okay that just sent me into a fit of giggles. Movies that I have seen over and over still make me a bit weepy when i see them, like Stepmom. sheesh.

The worst ever was "My Life" with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. I cried the ugly cry when I saw that one in the theatre. I cried so hard the people in front of me handed their tissues...lol.

And my friends made me go out for ice cream with them afterwards...lol. One thing that is cool about crying though? If you have green eyes, they never look SOOOO green as they do after a good cry. :roll:

auburnchick
08-31-2007, 07:46 PM
I really don't want to cry when I watch movies, so I try to avoid those kind. I guess I'm just not a mushy kind of gal.

But I will say that the first book that made me cry was Message in a Bottle. I had never cried when I read a book before. Most of Nicholas Sparks' books do that to me, so I refuse to watch the movies. I know what I'm in for.

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't really like the downright depressing sad movies, they just leave me feeling worse.
But I love the kind of romantic movie where you think there is no way they can ever be together, but in the end everything is ok. With those kinds of movies, I can cry, but still be happy at the end. :teehee:

StefannyJo
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
When my MawMaw had a bad day she would say, "I'm guess I am watching my movie tonight." That meant Steel Magnolias and a good cry. She watched that movie for 3 days after I quit college to get married! I ended up not getting married and have a bachlors degree! Too bad she wasn't around to watch me walk across the stage. But, anyway, I still can't watch that movie without bawling because I miss her!

feministmama
08-31-2007, 10:06 PM
I cried the ugly cry when I saw that one :roll:

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

my cry movie is Contact and Ordinary People

angel4ever
08-31-2007, 10:08 PM
There are two movies that absolutely, definitely make me cry when I watch them (without fail)...

The Color Purple
Imitation of Life (version with Lana Turner)

If you want a good cry, watch these two movies. The last twenty to thirty minutes of Imitation of Life will have crying like a baby.

zip
08-31-2007, 10:17 PM

Ack! Ordinary People KILLS me. :verysad:

Saving Private Ryan and What Dreams May Come do also. Life is Beautiful makes me weep for a week. It's a top ten desert island film. Sophie's Choice... just shoot me now rather than make me weep through it again. :sad:

I didn't expect to like The Notebook - Thank God for James Garner. I'd watch him in ANYthing.

jjminarcik
08-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm with Nobones on this one - Beaches and Steel Magnolias. I've seen them countless times and still cry. :waah:

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Life is Beautiful makes me weep for a week.

:pout: Me too! :waah:

So has anyone seen "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith and his son? I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that movie, because I completely lost it when I saw the preview. My husband looked at me like I was crazy, and all I could choke through my tears was "We will never be watching that movie!"

Kaydee
08-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Steel Magnolias gets me everytime! I always cry.

And The Notebook too, I always think I'm not going to cry and I always end up sobbing saying its so beautiful how much they love each other. I think it really gets me because they remind me of my grandparents.

Message in a Bottle is another one. I wasn't interested throught the whole movie but when it got towards the end I cried a lot!!:waah:

Sara
08-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Ooh, the Color Purple gets me, too!!!!

And I love James Garner! One of our cable channels shows reruns of Maverick. I've been recording them on the DVR.:drool:

brendajos
08-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Ya know I think the thing is that a lot of women feel the need to cry just to cleanse and an easy catalyst for that is to watch the movies that make so many men want to hang themselves. (i was going to say something that one of my friends always says but it is more crude than i would like to be here...lol)

we use whatever it takes to get the tears started. :shrug:

debinoz
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Some days on TCM all they show are tearjerkers. I can go through a whole box of kleenex on those days!

dustinac
09-01-2007, 12:31 AM
The last twenty to thirty minutes of Imitation of Life will have crying like a baby.

Yes!!! That is sooo hard to watch.. I cry everytime and get chill bumps...and then I see the dad remove the boy's hat and help him place it over his heart and cry harder...love that movie...

The Love Comes Softly series will get me... Thou None Go With me will too... I also cry during Best years of our lives... ohh and Since you Went away...and a lot more... :rofl:

The Notebook I didn't cry...I had the tissues ready cause everyone said I would... and I found myself more annoyed than anything else... :??

Nobones
09-01-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm writing these films downs as one's to avoid! I felt dreadful yesterday, Mike kept asking what was wrong and when I said it was the films that made me cry, he laughed so hard. Men!

I have seen 'The colour purple' and 'Step Mom', I didn't find Step Mom that upsetting, sad but I didn't cry.

I think I'll watch something uplifting today, like 'Die hard'! :roflhard:

DQ
09-01-2007, 05:50 AM
I don't really like the downright depressing sad movies, they just leave me feeling worse.
But I love the kind of romantic movie where you think there is no way they can ever be together, but in the end everything is ok. With those kinds of movies, I can cry, but still be happy at the end. :teehee:

I'm the same :wink:

My DH made me watch Love Story once...argh! I was SO upset after that one :waah:

I actually don't watch any movie often because I get so connected and involved that I feel weird afterwards :oops:

ritaw
09-01-2007, 08:18 AM
I used to cry a lot , but have not done in a long time.

But i must say that i have now watched the episode of Dr who , the one where rose leaves. They are by the beach and the dr appears to her as a hologram . I have seenit now 7 times and every time it gets me.

My hubby waits and says " are you crying again"

Excellent acting

ecb
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
for my Bug there is:
a time to kill (that I just bought her her OWN copy)
to kill a mockingbird
a Man on Fire

For me:
Soldier (touches me deeply, with the nonverbal way he acts in this movie, I think its hs best acting)
a time to kill
Stepmom
*I have never seen the Notebook*

Oh Gosh I got a lot of them but I cannot think of them

ecb

hunterjenn
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Everything makes me cry. :roll: And I love it! I agree with almost all the ones that have been posted, but The Last Samurai is the one that makes me bawl and bawl and bawl.... :teehee:

But then, so do standing ovations. Seriously. On TV, even. :roflhard:

mulene
09-01-2007, 09:24 AM

OMG contact - that gets me every time.

Life Is Beautiful - wow that had me bawling at the end.

Magnolia does it to me too - big time. The dying guy reminded me so much of my dad, who at the time that movie came out, was in fact dying of cancer.

Oh I watched Pan's Labrynth the other night (couldn't sleep got up at 5am watched it went back to bed) that was weepy in places =D

The end of American Beauty does it too =P

Luvmyrottnboy
09-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Old Yeller! OMG

Any Disney animated movie actually. The Lion King totally destoyed me. I cried from the minute it started (because I LOVE Africa) and never really stopped through the whole darn thing!

I absolutely cannot watch a movie where an animal is killed, hurt or in peril. Cannot handle it.

I didn't see the Green Mile but I read the book and sobbed hugely.

stitchwitch
09-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I absolutely cannot watch a movie where an animal is killed, hurt or in peril. Cannot handle it.

Me either. I bawled watching Homeward Bound. :roflhard:

aineepooh1
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Nobones... SO GLAD you were finally introduced into the
Southern Classic... STEEL MAGNOLIAS~~

I know it made you cry.. .but didn't it also make you laugh~~

Welcome to the family:grphug:

debinoz
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
John Q

zip
09-01-2007, 03:44 PM
...I absolutely cannot watch a movie where an animal is killed, hurt or in peril. Cannot handle it...

Neither can I. Even the news clips that were showing Michael Vick's dogs... or someone's dogs that were subjected to a life of fighting. I cannot watch. I have to leave the room. It's unbearable.

GinnyG
09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I LOVE sad movies, they are so cathartic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can let out bottled up emotions, weeping and wailing can be very good for the soul!! I usually follow it up with some incredibly funny movie that return homeostasis:thumbsup:

I highly recommend "Dying Yong" for a real tissue consumer!

Mulderknitter
09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I love this thread! I cried yesterday when I saw the preview for the CSI season opener, where the miniature killer somehow got Sarah and they are playing that song.... I got chills and choked up...:pout:
Pan's labrynth even got my DH crying...
And just about every episode of Grey's anatomy has me in tears...

IBAmyB
09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I am such a sucker at sad endings..... I bawl and bawl and bawl!

I remember when I first saw Beaches (I must have been about 11 years old) and when it was over I was yelling at my mom and dad "it's not fair!!!!".

Last night a friend and I went to see "Becoming Jane". We were both bawling, as were half the other women in the theatre!

(The fact that both our husbands are deployed right now doesn't help, but we have each other to bawl with, so that's good!) :grphug:

iza
09-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I love this thread! I cried yesterday when I saw the preview for the CSI season opener, where the miniature killer somehow got Sarah and they are playing that song.... I got chills and choked up...:pout:

Mulderknitter, I can't wait for the new CSI season to start!!! I'm not a tv person in general but I LOOOOOVE that show. Just reading your post gives me chills... :shock:

I almost never cry when I watch movies but couldn't help it when I saw Pan's labyrinth :waah:

cheesiesmom
09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
It's an old schlocky movie, but I just love the original Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck. I cry everytime TCM shows that. I was flipping channel the other night and caught the last 1/2 hour of Steel Magnolias and was crying by the end of it.
Love that movie!

dustinac
09-02-2007, 03:17 PM
It's an old schlocky movie, but I just love the original Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck. I cry everytime TCM shows that. I was flipping channel the other night and caught the last 1/2 hour of Steel Magnolias and was crying by the end of it.
Love that movie!

:teehee: dh asked me just last night if he could delete this from tivo... I cry to, the end so sad....

I can't watch any animal movies...my son keeps asking me to watch where the red fern grows... I know I'll cry...

Little House on the Prairie...I cry

Grey's Anatomy...I cry

I like that if I'm feeling the need to cry but not sure why...I can watch a movie and let it out...with no questions from dh like what's wrong over and over... this way he sees me cry and goes oohhhh I see...:teehee:

Ronda
09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I cried the ugly cry when I saw that one in the theatre. I cried so hard the people in front of me handed their tissues...lol.

:roflhard:

Beaches just kills me. So does Magnolias when they are at the cemetery and Sally Field is saying how parents aren't supposed to bury their children. OMG. Just sitting here thinking about it just makes me want to cry. But that movie is so good...so many funny parts. I love Olympia Dukakis!

I try to avoid movies that make me cry. I hate crying. It gives me a headache.

Nobones
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Now CSI I'll be watching, not because it makes me cry but because I just LOVE :inlove: Grissom!

divagirl
09-02-2007, 06:53 PM
I have to add my 'ugly cry' movie to the list - Terms of Endearment! OMG, you cannot watch that movie without a box of tissues.

Mariblue, I haven't been about to watch The Pursuit of Happyness either! I know it ends happy, but.....

Love Steel Magnolias and Beaches. Rent is another tearjerker for me. My brother died the night I saw it and I always think of him.

Quiltlady
09-03-2007, 05:32 AM
I think Beaches is a wonderful movie. It was on tv the other night. I love a good story and I enjoy a good cry now and then.

msoebel
09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Steel Magnolias is a tear jerker.

What Dreams May Come (speaking of the ugly cry) is a good one...dh and I had a long talk about what we want the other to do when we die after watching that movie.

Pan's Labyrinth...OMG! I couldn't stop crying.

Also...pitiful TV show cries...the final episode of Mad About You...the day of Paul's father's funeral, and everyone gets in the elevator. His cousin puts his arm around his girlfriend, and his sister leans back on her life partner, and his wife puts her hand on her shoulder, and Paul reaches up and holds it...and then his mother stands there, picking a piece of lint off her sweater....her person to lean on is the one they are all grieving.

It's too much!

Misty

MamaMer
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
:pout: Me too! :waah:

So has anyone seen "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith and his son? I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that movie, because I completely lost it when I saw the preview. My husband looked at me like I was crazy, and all I could choke through my tears was "We will never be watching that movie!"

You will fall asleep before you cry with this one. It is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Sweet and inspiring? Yes. Too long and completely sleep inducing--even more so.:wink:

Mariblue
09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
You will fall asleep before you cry with this one. It is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Sweet and inspiring? Yes. Too long and completely sleep inducing--even more so.:wink:

Good to know. :thumbsup:

Samsam
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
A Walk to Remember gets me in tears everytime :pout: