PDA

View Full Version : The KH rating system

zip
09-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I haven't paid any attention to the rating system until about ten minutes ago, and I am appalled at what I found. It serves no purpose beyond a glorified popularity contest.

The charity blankets are a selfless effort by over 100 of us and they each carried two votes of 1. pffffft. Excuse me, but if anything deserves a rating of excellent, it'd be those. I believe the two votes of 1 were made by someone with a grudge and a second identity. Of course, I immediately rated each of the charity blankets with a 5.

I accessed each of the forum groupings to sort by rating and learn which threads had been voted upon. Most of the ratings have been made within the blog threads. That'd be a popularity contest or a joke, not a KH rating. Within the off-topic threads, Jan's Environmentally Products carries 2 ratings of 5, both of which I believe are merited. In fact, I believe that thread should be a sticky. Otherwise, the ratings hold no realistic merit, IMHO. Anyone can rate her own thread, which I'm about to do with this one as soon as it's submitted. Wow! Look! It's a 5! woohoo!

:roll:

I cry FOUL. Eliminate the rating option before someone gets hurt. This isn't high school, people. Is it?

kashadilla
09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
i never noticed either. So...if no one even pays attention, what does it matter?

zip
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
i never noticed either. So...if no one even pays attention, what does it matter?

It doesn't matter, except when someone is deliberately voted with a 1 for no reason beyond a grudge or a joke.

There are several threads of old that are referred back to when someone asks a question that's been addressed several times, such as "can I take my knitting needles on board an aircraft?" Those would merit a high ranking if threads were routinely sorted by ranking. But they aren't, except by individual user choice.

So why have it offered at all?

Andrea
09-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't know the point of the rating either...
but really, does anyone really give a crap one way or another? :shrug:

To be utterly appalled at something so insignificant is a waste of emotion.

zip
09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't know the point of the rating either...
but really, does anyone really give a crap one way or another? :shrug:

To be utterly appalled at something so insignificant is a waste of emotion.

Thanks. so much.

GinnyG
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out what you are talking about:aww:. I must be technologically challenged!

kristinw
09-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I can honestly say that I've never even noticed the ratings. I would say the majority of the people here don't notice them either. But I can see your point.

earthchick
09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I had never noticed the ratings system before either, but I see your point. It does surprise me that anyone around here would rate any thread a 1. What's the point of doing that? It just seems kind of mean, and very un-KH-like.

zip
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I had never noticed the ratings system before either, but I see your point. It does surprise me that anyone around here would rate any thread a 1. What's the point of doing that? It just seems kind of mean, and very un-KH-like.

Three people have rated this thread with a 1 since I created it. I gave it a 5 and it carries a rating of 2 with a total of 4 votes, which equates to 3 votes of 1.

Yeah, it's mean and petty.

In the past ten minutes, I've opened a handful of threads in the whatcha knittin' section that I consider to merit a 5 and rated them as such. Likewise in a couple of other spots. After the three 1 ratings this one received, I'm inclined to rate every single thread in the forum.

High school, I'm tellin' ya.

hunterjenn
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Uhh...I've been looking since I read this post and still can't even find them. :shrug: So obviously I've never noticed before.

ETA: And if no one else notices them, why feel the pressure to rate everything a 5? Why not just leave well enough alone?

chrislt8
09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Didn't even know KH had a rating system for threads/posts:shrug:

zip
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Uhh...I've been looking since I read this post and still can't even find them. :shrug: So obviously I've never noticed before.

ETA: And if no one else notices them, why feel the pressure to rate everything a 5? Why not just leave well enough alone?

I feel no pressure. It's 105 degrees outside, so I'm indoors. And I didn't say I'd rate everything a 5, just that I'd rate everything. ;)

zip
09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Didn't even know KH had a rating system for threads/posts:shrug:

That's because it's bogus.

hunterjenn
09-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I feel no pressure. It's 105 degrees outside, so I'm indoors. And I didn't say I'd rate everything a 5, just that I'd rate everything. ;)

I guess my point just was that that's both 1) validating the system, and 2) buying into the "high school" feel...isn't it?

zip
09-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess my point just was that that's both 1) validating the system, and 2) buying into the "high school" feel...isn't it?

Not buying in, just playing the game. Leveling the field. I still hope that it's eliminated. It's absurd because it's so open to abuse.

hunterjenn
09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
:shrug: I just don't see the point.

Jan in CA
09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Frankly I don't think most people even know it's there and if they do they don't even think about it. I will notify the admin about this, but please, let's let it go.

zip
09-01-2007, 05:29 PM
:shrug: I just don't see the point.

Neither do I. yeah, I know that isn't what you meant. It's an option of the site that has no meaning when it's abused, and it IS abused.

So far, I've merely accessed a few threads that stand out in my memory as excellent. I'm going to step away to do a few things and hope that Sheldon or Amy replies to my post about it in the bugs thread. If not, then I'll have a little rating party later on. With a martini!

zip
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Frankly I don't think most people even know it's there and if they do they don't even think about it. I will notify the admin about this, but please, let's let it go.

I'm willing to let it go if it's reasonably addressed. If it isn't, then I'll abuse it, too. And probably find a different knitting site afterwards.

hunterjenn
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM
:shrug: I think you'll only be hurting yourself, then.

Jan in CA
09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Just for kicks I sorted by rating and found that very few posts have ever been rated and considering how many people we have here that says a lot. I don't think there really is a huge risk of someone getting hurt because no one uses it and most don't even know it's there. :shrug:

Friskums
09-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm willing to let it go if it's reasonably addressed. If it isn't, then I'll abuse it, too. And probably find a different knitting site afterwards.

I don't think anyone had been abusing it. But, publicly announcing your intentions to... :shrug:

Most people don't seem to know or care about it. That says something to me right there.

GinnyG
09-01-2007, 06:04 PM
My "guess" is it is part of the forum software "package" and until this moment no one actually paid attention to it. If you participate in many online forums you know that many forums are run with the same software.

What ever the rating system is, and I cannot be bothered to search it out, it is not an itegral part of KH and the only reason I can see for stirring the pot about it is to create hard feelings.:shrug:

I say let sleeping dogs lie and drop it.

brendajos
09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
This seems like we are creating drama where it didn't exist before. If people want to rate a thread a 1 they have the right to do it. I personally don't care why they did it. It seems pretty clear that most people didn't notice it before so what difference does it really make?

Sure it can be very high school-like but so is the drama.

sara_jayne
09-01-2007, 07:12 PM
It doesn't matter, except when someone is deliberately voted with a 1 for no reason beyond a grudge or a joke.

Why is honest opinion not in your list Zip? Do you have proof that any of it was deliberate?

sheldon
09-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I am checking the rating logs for abuse. If there are signs of abuse a) it will be removed and b) it won't be tolerated. The rating system is a tool for those who choose to use it. Please don't ruin it for everyone else by abusing it.

Thanks,

- Sheldon

SabrinaJL
09-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I've gotta say, I've been here for about a year and I didn't even realize there WAS a rating system.

lissalue
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
I can state that at least one of the ratings of 1 on the oddball blankets has been there since within a week of the new forum. I do not know who voted it there of course, but I do know that I noticed it a very long time ago. Because I do not know who voted it, I can not say what their intentions are, but I never saw a point to the voting as far as normal threads are concerned, so I just ignored it. :shrug:

Also, regarding the blogs, Well of course we go around voting for our friends blogs because we enjoy reading them and they are our friends. I have voted a 5 for all of the blogs that I read because they are fun and I saw the voting as fun, that is why I don't rate any of the other threads, and I generally don't pay any attention to what their rating is.

I don't get why it is such a big deal, but it is your right to be upset about it if you want to be. I don't mean any harm by this, but I did want to share my observations on it as an avid reader and participator in both the blogs and the oddball blankets. Take it for the 2 cents or less it is worth.

zip
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Just for kicks I sorted by rating and found that very few posts have ever been rated and considering how many people we have here that says a lot. I don't think there really is a huge risk of someone getting hurt because no one uses it and most don't even know it's there. :shrug:

I think it's new, along with other aspects of the most recent incarnation of the website that was introduced this summer. Or was it spring? That's why there isn't a multitude of ratings.

Risk? hmmmm... I think it promotes exclusionary tactics, probably even more so now that I've pointed it out, which I knew was a risk.

Maybe we could each ask ourselves how we'd feel if someone rated our thread with a 1, especially if the purpose of the thread had an all-inclusive purpose that would benefit someone who desperately needed it. Also ask yourself what reason ANYONE would rate such a venture as terrible... Because that person didn't think of it first? Because that person has an issue with the founder? At first I was angry, now I'm merely baffled. KH is reputed to be bigger than that. So I have to ask, is it really?

I haven't talked with my sister about it, but I believe she's probably hurt by it. I hope she isn't upset by my mentioning her threads. She likely isn't because she has a generous, forgiving nature.

zip
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I am checking the rating logs for abuse. If there are signs of abuse a) it will be removed and b) it won't be tolerated. The rating system is a tool for those who choose to use it. Please don't ruin it for everyone else by abusing it.

Thanks,

- Sheldon

Thank you, Sheldon. I'm curious to know what, in your estimation, would constitute abuse?

I'm still of the opinion that the ratings are useless. If I use it as a tool to rate threads that I like as 5s, but others rate them lower, I'll be unable to readily sort by rating to find them, thereby making it a useless tool. Perhaps each user could mark threads he or she deems to be 5s as favorites instead of relying upon the opinion of the few others who vote? Just a suggestion, of course.

lissalue
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I have talked to her about it, and I won't say much, because I believe it is her place to speak for herself, but I do know that she didn't even realize the ratings existed. :shrug:

CarmenIbanez
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Maybe we could each ask ourselves how we'd feel if someone rated our thread with a 1, especially if the purpose of the thread had an all-inclusive purpose that would benefit someone who desperately needed it.

I feel pretty safe in saying that I so deeply respect the rights of people, especially the people on this forum, to have and express their opinions, that I could not care any less whether anything I did received a rating of "1".

Friskums
09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I can honestly say that I wouldn't and don't care how someone rated any thread I had. I'm not here to be validated for everything or anything I do.

I can also honestly say that I don't agree with every charity out there in the world. Does that make me a bad person?
Just because someone has a different view or opinion doesn't mean there has to be something wrong with it or that by expressing a differing point of view I'm "abusing" something.

zip
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I think this subject strikes a chord with several of you who are proclaiming that it doesn't matter, yet are seeking and finding validation by rating one another's blogs with 5s.

sara_jayne
09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I think this subject strikes a chord with several of you who are proclaiming that it doesn't matter, yet are seeking and finding validation by rating one another's blogs with 5s.

Why are you making this assumption that people actually care what their blogs are rated. I, along with Carmen, don't care what my threads are rated. I do not base my personal self worth on what other people think of me. I would rather have people feel that they could express their own opinions than care that they've rated any of my threads with a 5.

amy
As GinnyG guessed, the rating system is a feature that came with the software.

We decided to keep it as a feature, because it allows recommended threads to be sorted to the top and browsed through.

I agree that the ability to rank threads a low number, does not serve a positive function in our community, and is indeed an "un-KH" feature. No thread deserves a low rank, in my opinion, except maybe spam, but we have a "report this post" feature for that.

We are removing the bottom two rankings from the tally, and the ability to use them. Perhaps at some future point, when Sheldon has time, we will replace the ranking system with a more appropriate, single-choice button that serves the function to recommend a thread for browsing.

CarmenIbanez
I'm really not sure what you mean. I don't really know you or your sister. I've never read her blog, or the charity postings. I've already told you I didn't know about the ratings, which I'm sure Sheldon can and will look up. I can't say that I understand why you are so very angry and agitated about this. But I hope you feel better soon.

zip
Why are you making this assumption that people actually care what their blogs are rated. I, along with Carmen, don't care what my threads are rated. I do not base my personal self worth on what other people think of me. I would rather have people feel that they could express their own opinions than care that they've rated any of my threads with a 5.

They why fight me so hard on whether there's a rating system?

lissalue
09-01-2007, 08:46 PM

I don't rate other people's blogs as a validation, nor do I expect mine to be rated. I do it because it is fun, just like this forum is fun (or used to be) and just like the smilies are fun. I don't use any of these things to make me feel better as a knitter, or a person, I use them because I enjoy doing them.

That is just like saying that you are looking for validation which is why you started this thread.

And a side note, you can't change your vote later if you change your mind, so How do you know that people who voted one way don't now wish they had voted another?

zip
09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
As GinnyG guessed, the rating system is a feature that came with the software.

We decided to keep it as a feature, because it allows recommended threads to be sorted to the top and browsed through.

I agree that the ability to rank threads a low number, does not serve a positive function in our community, and is indeed an "un-KH" feature. No thread deserves a low rank, in my opinion, except maybe spam, but we have a "report this post" feature for that.

We are removing the bottom two rankings from the tally, and the ability to use them. Perhaps at some future point, when Sheldon has time, we will replace the ranking system with a more appropriate, single-choice button that serves the function to recommend a thread for browsing.

Thank you, Amy & Sheldon! Sincerely. :cheering:

suzeeq
09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
You've made an assumption that the 1 vote was deliberate... When the board switched over to the new system I hit a few things by accident because I hadn't got the hang of the new buttons and stuff yet.

amy
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
It seems like we're all standing in defense of the same thing: the integrity of KH. I appreciate that effort from everyone. :grphug:

However, I feel that people are expressing their frustrations in too personal a manner at this point. I am locking this thread.

I'm wondering if there is something else going on below the surface here. If there is more to discuss about what is going on, please PM me. Actually, do me a favor and give any strong feelings a day to breathe, then PM me.

I love you all.
:hug:

Shaner
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM

I'm not sure what this really accomplishes, now instead of rating a thread a 1, a person can rate it a 3, so a 3 rating is the new low. In my opinion you need to either enable the rating, 1 thru 5, or take it away entirely.

amy
09-01-2007, 10:23 PM
This is a temporary compromise until we can program something more suited to us.

(Okay, now this is locked.)