PDA

View Full Version : Converting sock patterns to larger size needles

knitting4babybear
09-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey y'all.

I have tried knitting socks. And I love knitting socks. But I do not like knitting socks on size 0, 1, or 2 needles.

At all. :shock:

I know some of you love it, and far be it from me to cast aspersions...if I'm true, I think those of you that do might be geniuses in the same manner as Michelangelo and Amadeus and those.

Anyway - on to my question. :neutral:

Is there anyway to convert a sock pattern written for thre..:shifty: I mean - sock yarn, and size tiny needles to something a little more manageable? What would I do?

I like sport weight yarn fine, and size 3 and 4 needles rock the bells. I dream of taking some of these gorgeous patterns I see and make them do-able for me, but I haven't the foggiest how. I'm thinking it has something to do with gauge and changing the numbers based on it, but that involves math, which wasn't what I went to school for, so it means I can't for the life of me figure out to do beyond making a gauge swatch.

If you choose to accept this mission - thank you. :muah:

suzeeq
09-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Take a sock pattern and using their gauge, figure out how many inches that converts to. Then convert their inches into your gauge. That should give you the number of stitches to CO using basic math. The length of the leg and foot (from heel to toe) is usually measured in inches anyway, and the shaping could still be figured using the sts to inches conversion ratio.

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Some patterns also have the recommended number right in the pattern.PM me if you want some examples. By the way, welcome back, I haven't seen you here in a while.

rissa
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Interweave Knits has a sock pattern and a few pages before it has a wonderful gauge guide where you can just substitute the numbers for the gauge on your needle size into the pattern. The sock normally is knit in size 1 and I'm knitting with size 3 needles. I have to say I'm loving using the guide and knitting the socks, which is my 2nd pair to knit.

HTH!!

knitting4babybear
09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the welcome back, Jeremy. Gosh, your memory is good! :lol: It's good to be back. I always miss it here. I'll PM you.

Rissa - do you mean IW online? Or this summer's sock issue? I can't find my sock issue anywhere, so I'm hoping you mean online. :shifty: If not, I'll have to make that final push to look for it.

Suz - thank you. I had that first part down - it's what happens after I figure out the cast on and what not that confuddles me. Especially when it's a patterned stitch. I know I'd need to keep the number of stitches that end up on the DPN's divisible by whatever the pattern repeat would require, beyond, say...seed stitch? I'm stumped.

And who wants seed stitch socks? :shock:

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe it would help if you gave us a specific pattern that you want to follow.

Chrissie
09-03-2007, 05:18 PM
If you get the book "Sensational Knitted Socks" there are several patterns that can be converted into a larger gauge. The patterns are divided into 4, 5, 6, 8, and 12 stitches, and there are charts giving you the number of stitches to cast on depending on your gauge and the size of your foot.

knitting4babybear
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I'll think of some, Jeremy, and come back. ;)