PDA

View Full Version : Cuba

ctmax
09-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Has anyone here been there? My husband and I are planning a trip and just can't decide where to go, but we have been hearing lots of good stuff about Cuba. I'm just wondering if anyone has been there and how there experince was? I heard you don't want anything less than a 4 star hotel or it can be quit gross.

robynbird
09-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry...no clue. Although I've been watching some programs on History Channel about how it was the place to go before Castro. I believe it's illegal for U.S. Americans to go there now. :/

ctmax
09-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I was wondering if it was illegal for US citizens to travel there. I'm a Canadian so there is no trouble for us to travel there, but it wasn't something I was considering till people started telling us how nice it is.

iza
09-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I've never been to Cuba myself but know many people who did and they loved it. I think you are right though, go to a reputable hotel. I would suggest reading reviews too, many travel websites will have a section where people can comment on their experience.

I know some Americans go to Cuba by going through Canada or Mexico first. Supposedly, the Cuban government doesn't stamp passports, so Americans traveling to Cuba don't risk to be prosecuted by the U.S. government. This being said, it's still illegal and Americans do it at their own risk.

ctmax
09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the comment, I will try to find some reviews and see how other peoples experience was. :)

IBAmyB
09-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I was wondering if it was illegal for US citizens to travel there. I'm a Canadian so there is no trouble for us to travel there, but it wasn't something I was considering till people started telling us how nice it is.

Yep, Amercans aren't allowed to travel there (also illegal to posses Cuban cigars). :sad:

I have heard that it is really nice... Have Fun!

mulene
09-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Yep illegal for Americans to travel there but there are ways you can do it. Fly to mexico then book a trip to cuba - they don't stamp your passport when you arrive / leave.

My brother went last year. You also can't fly there from any American city so you have to go via South America or Canada.

ctmax
09-03-2007, 12:54 PM
mulene did your brother enjoy himself while he was there?

VictoiseC
09-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Cuba is The Hot Spot right now and it will just get moreso.
I have a very dear friend who is 86 and continually writes articles about his time in Cuba, waaaaaay back in the '50s when he had a band and was a dancer.

Cubans are fantastic people, very friendly and like to party.
I'm not so sure, well, I wouldn't need a 4 star hotel myself, I think there are probably hotels that are nice that aren't that... expensive but then again it's your choice. I don't think it's gross or dirty there (although they had no access to soap for years! true story)

You'll find a bunch of stuff on the Internet I'm sure.
Here's a great site I just found:

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/travelcuba.htm

VictoiseC
09-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow, now you've got me interested... check this site out, it's incredible!

http://www.casaparticular.com/default.asp?lID=1

mulene
09-03-2007, 01:17 PM
mulene did your brother enjoy himself while he was there?

Yep he LOVED it

Limey
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
It's a very 'touristy' place - but one day, I'll get to the Floridita and have a look where Hemingway bar-propped.

Limey
09-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Sorry - I meant the Floridita was touristy - not Cuba.

Pat in Ca
09-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Why would anyone want to go to Cuba.. Have you heard that people are risking their lives... dying... to get out of Cuba? Maybe if you are a rich foreigner staying at an expensive hotel you will not see the filth, poverty and persecution of the Cuban people.. talk to any of the refugees living in Florida who have relatives still in Cuba.. they will give you the truth about Cuba..
Pat

Jan in CA
09-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Let's keep this friendly even if we have a different opinions.

Visiting is a lot different than living there, Pat. I've known Canadians who visited Cuba and loved it. It's supposed to be a fascinating place! I would love to see an photograph some of those old buildings!

One thing I do when thinking about visiting somewhere new is search for photos. I use Smugmug right now and I searched for Cuba. Beautiful!!
http://www.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=cuba&searchType=global&x=0&y=0

mulene
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
everywhere in the world people have problems with poverty, oppression and many other local government caused issues. Doesn't stop us visiting the countries to experience the country and at least put some money into the economy.

I'd also like to visit Tibet, China, Vietnam, Peru, Iran, and the arctic!

ctmax
09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
those links are just fantastic thank you everyone. Now I'm off to look at some pictures. :muah::cheering:

Pat in Ca
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings about Cuba.. it was not meant that way!!! Living in Fla has given me a different take on the situation.. sorry..
Pat

stitchwitch
09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I think we do have a whole different perspective living in Florida. I know the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "are you crazy?!!!!". :roflhard: It's neat to see it through other's eyes though.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings about Cuba.. it was not meant that way!!! Living in Fla has given me a different take on the situation.. sorry..
Pat

lestrella
09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
My sister lived in Cuba for 6 months and she loved it. She said it's totally different than the way it's portrayed here in the news. I also have a cousin that went to Cuba about 3 years ago. She liked it so much that she decided to stay and she married a cuban. She works for the Barcelo hotels in Cuba. I haven't been to Cuba myself so I can only speak thru their experience. Also, my neighbor is going to Cuba in November and she is really excited about it.

:hug:

ctmax
09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
at the risk of sounding really dumb, why is living in Florida giving you a different perspective? :??

iza
09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Well I never lived in Florida, but since there is a big Cuban community there (Cuba is close to Florida), and in general very anti-Castro, it's not a surprise that people living in Florida have a different perspective. It's a complicated situation though and you can go very far in history of both Cuba and the U.S., I won't risk myself into that! :teehee:

Kaydee
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
at the risk of sounding really dumb, why is living in Florida giving you a different perspective? :??

I can't speak from experience but I think its because there's lots of people who leave Cuba to escape (for lack of a better word) the government and go to Florida (especially southern points like Miami) to live so people in Florida see this more often than the rest of us might.

stitchwitch
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Florida is the safe haven for Cubans on exile from there. If they can make it to land they are allowed to stay. People board homemade vessels, inner tubes tied together, stow away on boats and basically risk their lives to leave there. Most don't make it and either get sent back or die on the water. It's not the paradise that tourists see, these people want out of there bad and will risk their lives to leave. Unfortunately Florida sees and hears alot of what has happened over there because of the huge Cuban population that has set up home here. Most of south Florida is populated by refugees. We're kinda the foster family for them.

Pat in Ca
09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
thank you stitchwich, I couldn't have said it better myself!
When I moved to California I was pretty shocked at how others regard Cuba..they seem to think it is like Mexico..I try to explain how desperate the situation is there, I think all of us who live in free societies take so much for granted..It is really beyond our comprehension.. I went thru the "Cuban Missle Crisis" when I was young, and went to school with many Cubans in West Palm (an all girls school). I can only hope that when Casto dies that things will change..
Elie Wiesel (Holocaust Survivor) said "Never be silent whenever human beings endure suffering..we must take sides..Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented..victims need to know that they are not alone: that we are not forgetting them, that when their voices are stifled, we shall lend them ours.. from Elie Wiesel's book "Night"... I love that book..
Pat