PDA

View Full Version : New to knitting...need book rec

Sri Radha
09-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi. I am new to knitting and just took my first class. We learned to cast on, knit, purl and add a stitch.

We have a pattern for a scarf. Mine is not looking like hers! Anyway, some how I get messed up after I add a stitch and I don't know why. The way she showed us is different than the way shown on the videos here.

I was wondering what is a good instructional book for beginners? Are there ways to correct mistakes? I have a hole in my scarf :pout: I am trying not to get too upset over it because it is my first project but UGH!

I am determined not to give up!!! I think that is the reason I don't know how to do a lot of things. I am very impatient with myself.

Thanks in advance! I hope to hear from some of you!

elliebelly
09-02-2007, 07:31 PM
go to your library and look around at a lot of things, then get what you like best. i really like knitfix and the vogue book.

but i like the videos here better.

anything by elizabeth zimmerman is a great library addition to.

welcome to the world of knitting :) don't stress -- just enjoy yourself. the more you do it, the more the patterns in the knitting will emerge for you and you'll see the mistakes and how to fix them. just remember to breath and enjoy yourself!

ecb
09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I would reccomend one of two books, Both should be in your Lybrary
Simply Fabulous Knits - Simple basic instructions on LOTS of things, written clearly if you now the terms

OR

Marrans Illustrated Knitting and Crochetting - It has a Whole page explaining each thing (for the most part) with good pictures

Just my two favs to recomend to Newbies to this WONDERFULL addiction

back to making my Bed and cleaning my room
and need to check on the 9to who is walking the Dog / puppy.

ecb

Hi. I am new to knitting and just took my first class. We learned to cast on, knit, purl and add a stitch.

We have a pattern for a scarf. Mine is not looking like hers! Anyway, some how I get messed up after I add a stitch and I don't know why. The way she showed us is different than the way shown on the videos here.

I was wondering what is a good instructional book for beginners? Are there ways to correct mistakes? I have a hole in my scarf :pout: I am trying not to get too upset over it because it is my first project but UGH!

I am determined not to give up!!! I think that is the reason I don't know how to do a lot of things. I am very impatient with myself.

Thanks in advance! I hope to hear from some of you!

Sri Radha
09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks to both of you. The Marran's book sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I am going to look it up on Amazon! :woot:

BostonBecca
09-03-2007, 08:52 AM
If you have a LYS around you, go there and look at all the general knitting books. The instructions and pictures can vary highly in general knitting books, and one should make more sense to you than another. Pick that one (you can always come home and buy it off amazon later). Buy some beautiful yarn at the LYS though.

ecb
09-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Even better idea
just remember it is a lot less expensive if you price shop the books for a bit

ecb

If you have a LYS around you, go there and look at all the general knitting books. The instructions and pictures can vary highly in general knitting books, and one should make more sense to you than another. Pick that one (you can always come home and buy it off amazon later). Buy some beautiful yarn at the LYS though.

Shandeh
09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I would recommend KnitFix (http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/Knit_Fix/default.asp), because it shows what stitches should look like, and helps you correct mistakes.

Also, a basic knitting encyclopedia will help too. I like having one of those, because sometimes my computer is not working, or the internet is down. A good encyclopedia is just nice to have. I use "The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitching" (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Encyclopedia-Stitchery-Mildred-Graves/dp/038512385X) by Mildred Graves Ryan. I like that one, because it has directions for Knitting, Crochet, Embroidery, and Sewing. I do all three of those crafts, so the book is perfect for me.

Maybe you should go to your local library and see what they have.

knitgal
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
The first knitting book I bought was Stich and Bitch by Debbie Stoller. I find the instructions are really clear and the whole book is fun to read. Another good one is The Knitting Answer Book which is my Aunt's, but that I consult all the time. It is in question form and it's really easy to find your answer. I agree with BostonBecca that one book will make more sense to you than another and you should probably go to the library or book store and just sit and read it for a while before buying. I have also heard very good things about Knitting Virtually (or Virtual Knitting?) because it has very clear pictures.

chrislt8
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I have, among others, Vogue Knitting, The Ultimate Knitting Book and this is the one I go back to over and over again when I am trying to figure something out. It also has a stitch dictionary, which I like. There are so many to choose from and each is a little better at different things. I agree that you need to look through a bunch of them to see which you instinctively respond to - as this is the one most likely to explain or show things in the way that your brain processes...

Sanibelle
09-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Another vote for the Vogue Knitting Book. I have a lot of books but this is the one I always go back to when I have a question or a problem.

Sri Radha
09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow...so many to choose from!

I ordered Maran's book off Amazon. I don't have a local yarn store :cry: I took my class at Michael's. Next time I am at a larger book store I will take a look at the knitting section. KnitFix sounds like something I would really like to have.

So right now I am going to wait for the Maran book to arrive and hopefully next time I am near a Borders or Barnes and Noble I'll take a look there. I will write down the recommendations I get here!

Thanks so much and if you have something to add, please do!

AnnaT
09-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree with elliebelly, that the videos here are wonderful. They are what got me started, not a book. I was able to use a book once I understood what I was looking at. That understanding came from watching these videos first.

Later I did want something to reference quickly while knitting, and got 'How to Knit' by Debbie Bliss and 'Stitch 'n Bitch' by Debbie Stoller. I am satisfied with both.

You can also get lots of great instructions for various techniques and stitch patterns free from the internet. I have a folder filled with printouts.