PDA

View Full Version : seacell in sock yarn

Lieke
09-03-2007, 06:05 AM
I got some cotton(75%) with seacell(25%) for my birthday. It's supposed to be sock yarn. Does anybody know what seacell does in sock yarn. I know it's a cellulose fiber (got the book no sheep for you) but I can't find anywhere what it's for in sock yarn.

Jan in CA
09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure. I thinking maybe it is what gives the cotton some stretch and sturdiness though like nylon does? :think:

jeanius80
09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
you can read a full review here (http://knitty.com/blog/2006/01/knitty-yarn-preview-first.html)
basicly,
The structure of SeaCell® facilitates the active exchange of substances between the fiber and the skin – nutrients such as calcium, magnesium and vitamin E are released by the natural body moisture when the fiber is worn, thereby creating a complete sense of well-being.

Lieke
09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure. I thinking maybe it is what gives the cotton some stretch and sturdiness though like nylon does? :think:
Hmm, that could be it. I've read a bit more about it, but all I can find is what jeanius tells, that it's good for your health or something. Well, I think I just have to try it and find out for myself. (or anybody else must know)

IamtheWalter
09-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm not too sure but I believe that seacell is tencel (generic name lyocell) with seaweed or seaweed derived nutrients infused into it somehow.

I think the only selling point for seacell is that somehow the nutrients are supposed to be absorbed through your skin and make you healthier. Sounds like snake oil peddling to me.

Dubious nutritional claims aside, since seacell is just a fancy form of tencel it should have all the properties of tencel, and tencel is a soft, strong, cool, fiber that does a good job of wicking moisture.

I just did a quick google search and found a seacell page that sorta answers the question: apparently the seaweed is processed along with the wood pulp in the manufacturing phase. There's also a form of seacell called seacell active that's somehow charged with silver ions and because of that is supposed to have antibacterial properties.

http://www.smartfiber.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=90

Lieke
09-04-2007, 02:08 AM
so it does nothing for the memory?

In that case, I'm not so sure weather this yarn is really suitable for socks.

IamtheWalter
09-04-2007, 09:08 AM
memory? do you mean elasticity like with wool yarn?

I scratched my head at first when you posted that because I didn't realize that the sock yarn is a seacell cotton blend not a seacell wool blend.

Assuming that the only difference between seacell and tencel is the possible health benefit, seacell will add strength softness and moisture wicking. If it's seacell active, then it also adds antibacterial qualities. great properties for a wool blend, but it isn't a crimpy fiber so it won't add any elasticity, and cotton is already pretty strong and wicking, though not as much as tencel so it seems that the only thing it would contribute to a cotton yarn would be better wicking properties and, if it's seacell active, antibacterial properties.

Unless there's some elastic in the yarn (and if there was it should say so), the yarn itself won't have any stretchiness to it.

Lieke
09-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your information. The ballband says it's antibacterial, so maybe I can turn the yarn into some bedsocks (I've always got really cold feet)

Jeremy
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
When I first saw your post I was thinking that it was the same stuff they put in sock yarn to prevent smelly feet. Could be the anti-bacterial part.