PDA

View Full Version : Heh, the hospital told me to knit.

SabrinaJL
09-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Last night I went to the ER and was diagnosed as having anxiety attacks (long boring story, won't go into it). Anyway, on the release paperwork it says, "When you get home, do something relaxing such as sitting in a comfortable chair, watching tv, reading a book, knitting, etc..." I haven't knit in over a month. Maybe that's why I'm having anxiety attacks. :roflhard:

HollyP
09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I noticed that on paper work before my Mom's knee replacement surgery . They told them to bring something to do while laying in bed and knitting was the 2nd or 3rd thing on the list.

I hope it helps your anxiety! My sister w/anxiety has found knitting helps keep hers to a minimum.

mintdee
09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Now those are doctors instructions that I would have no problem following! :hug:

chrislt8
09-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I love it! Now next time someone bothers you, you can say "not now, doctor's orders, I have to do my therapy"!

- hope you are feeling better soon!

MerigoldinWA
09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
I love that prescription!! I hope it is just the medicine you need.

SabrinaJL
09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Oooooh, I didn't even think about it that way! Now I'm not just sitting on my butt and knitting when I should be doing something else. I'm following doctors orders to deal with my anxiety. I think this means a whole lot more knitting time with a whole lot less guilt. :teehee:

Songbirdy
09-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I want your 'scrip'!

Seriously! How fantastic would it be to have that! I'd frame mine and then any time I find myself spinning out of control I could pull out my 'scrip' and justifiably sit down and knit!

That would answer my husband! My kids would take more persuading to leave me be but!

I just want to say I hope you find help! I've had anxiety attacks too. Since I was a Psych Major in Uni I decided to 'self-treat' myself by quitting my job. The DH didn't get it at the time and by the time I saw the Doctor my symptoms were gone because I made the right choice... but that didn't help the Doctor tell my DH that I had made the right choice.

rosefields
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
hmmmm...wondering if insurance will cover the cost of yarn or maybe even offer a co-pay;)

something to think about.....:teehee:

feministmama
09-03-2007, 05:52 PM
hmmmm...wondering if insurance will cover the cost of yarn or maybe even offer a co-pay;)

Let's get Michael Moore right on it!!!!

PammieJR
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I have an anxiety disorder and the knitting is FABULOUS for it! I agree with the doc! It is so relaxing (OK unless you are trying something new! LOL) and it is almost like a meditation kind of thing with me. Even when doing a simple stitch it occupies me enough to distract the anxiety!

Enjoy your prescription...but be warned, it can lead to yarn addiction!

Mulderknitter
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I too have been diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder. For years before I found knitting, I would do puzzles, color pictures, anything that kept my hands in tune with my mind so that I didn't start on the cycle of anxiety. I am on and still take medication, but I am positive that my knitting has helped with the symptoms, because I feel that for anxiety you need to incorporate activity (hands moving) with thought (stitches, pattern, etc) in order to fully engage the body and release the anxiety. (Ahem... psych degree too.. I will stop spouting termonolgy now..) And, of course the accomplishment of creating something of your own I think also helps to detract from negative/anxiety thinking in that you are focused on your accomplishments and not what is worrying you.
in other words, Yay knitting:yay:

G J
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM

I LOVE IT!!! :roflhard::roflhard:
Unfortunately, My dr. told me NOT to knit b/c of hand and arm problems. :hair: I'll trade ya!:)

ChristinaKnits
09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I agree with everyone. I too have panic disorder and am on medication but I will honestly say that knitting/crocheting is what got me through the worst of it. There have been theories on the benefits like lower blood pressure, and more. Hope it helps and you feel better ;)

Nobones
09-04-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm coming to your hospital! Last time I was in I was asked NOT to knit! The cheek! Too noisy apparently.

sig
09-04-2007, 05:41 AM

that sound awesome!!! :mrgreen:

LauraD
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I, also, was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and knit as a kind of meditation. It focuses my brain on a "simple" activity so that the rest of my mind can find peace.

Plus it's preeeeeety:-)

Eloewien
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I have pretty bad anxiety as well, and knitting is helping to a point. I just got new insurance and I finally have mental health benefits. I've been getting awful tension headaches because my anxiety is completely out of control. I can't wait to get back to normal!

IamtheWalter
09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, in fact I'm on disability because of my anxiety, and knitting and spinning have so far helped me more than anything else I've tried.
While many other hobbies were recommended to me, knitting was never one of them, I just happened to stumble upon it, but oh, how great it would be if I can get a prescription for a half pound of silk!

After a couple times of fixing and unraveling stitches I have learned that I can't knit on ativan (Tranquilizer, I only take it when I either feel an attack coming on or, more realistically, am in the middle of one), so for when that happens, I spin, and end up producing some "interesting" novelty yarn :lol:

I tend to get overwhelmed incredibly easily, since it can be so hard to do what others consider simple everyday things, and concentrating while having an anxiety attack or "episode" (not quite an attack, but not pleasant either) is pretty hard, so it's always reassuring and helpful to know what I can achieve by being patient and just taking it a step/stitch at a time.

bip
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I know it is illegal to share prescriptions, but I hope you don't mind if I take some of your medicine :)

golfer
09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
:knitting:

I learned to knit to quit smoking and it worked - over one year now (believe me - I was a smoker!) I LOVE to knit!

DQ
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Wow, there's a lot of people on here who suffer with anxiety :shock: :hug::hug::hug::hug:

I suffer too, but it's been pretty much under control for quite a while now. I think the knitting helps loads. I've found a new craft that might help people too, and it's even more portable than knitting!

http://www.thelucet.co.uk/

Maybe you could try it Nobones?

Nobones
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Ohhhh Something new to try! You should have seen the look at hubby's face when I showed him! :teehee:

It looks very interesting and I'd like to have a go.

DQ
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Ohhhh Something new to try! You should have seen the look at hubby's face when I showed him! :teehee:

It looks very interesting and I'd like to have a go.

:teehee::teehee::teehee:

It's nice and relaxing when you get the hang of it, and quite easy to learn. Oh and it should get any noise complaints!

knitncook
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I bet you could get your doctor to write you up a script that says that his/her recommendation for decreasing anxiety would be knitting! :) When I was sick with pneumonia once our doctor wrote a prescription for my family to do the dishes and laundry for 2 weeks! I still have that script somewhere.

Knitting_Guy
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
You should ask the doctor to write it out as a prescription/doctor's orders sort of thing and then you can deduct the cost of your yarn and other knitting supplies from your taxes as a medical expense. :thumbsup:

G J
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I went to an occupational therapist today because of my hands (painful to knit) and he suggested yoga for relaxation. Pshaw! I told him that KNITTING was relaxing and your doctor said so!
I suggested he get me back to knitting so I COULD relax! So he watched me knit a little and made a splint for my left hand to keep my thumb joint aligned right and suggested slightly rotating my right hand to keep the pinched nerve from being impinged.
So I'm knitting again..... just a little bit for now, but at least I CAN KNIT!:woohoo:
So Sabrina, thanks for posting this!

SabrinaJL
09-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Glad I could help. :) I too, am surprised by how many people are affected by anxiety. It's not something I ever even thought about before this.

DQ
09-05-2007, 06:46 AM
I went to an occupational therapist today because of my hands (painful to knit) and he suggested yoga for relaxation. Pshaw! I told him that KNITTING was relaxing and your doctor said so!
I suggested he get me back to knitting so I COULD relax! So he watched me knit a little and made a splint for my left hand to keep my thumb joint aligned right and suggested slightly rotating my right hand to keep the pinched nerve from being impinged.
So I'm knitting again..... just a little bit for now, but at least I CAN KNIT!:woohoo:
So Sabrina, thanks for posting this!

That's great! :yay:

Songbirdy
09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Thinking about this thread and my inability to knit in the car (leads to motion sickness) I brought along 3 large bags of yarn to hand wind into balls yesterday while I had to sit through my husband driving in Toronto traffic for 2 hours.

It kind of helped!

GennyLynn1962
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks too. Knitting helps if I can start when I first feel an attack coming on, however, I need to use lifelines in the knitting because if the attack ends up being a bad one sometimes I'll mess up the knitting.

I hate it that so many people here have these disorders, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.:hug:

StefannyJo
09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I never noticed that my anxiety attacks have almost disappeared since I started knitting regularly! Wow! Thanks for helping me see that! (I will be telling my husband this, even though he is really good about my attacks!)

SabrinaJL
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Ok, so today I went to a primary care physician at UCSD to follow up on all this stuff (the first time I went to the ER at the Balboa Naval Medical Center). I was sitting in the room knitting while waiting for the doc and the first thing she said when she walked in was "Now THAT is an excellent stress reliever". I kinda laughed and told her she wasn't the first doctor to tell me that.

cds11
09-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Gee... I guess I should be a doctor or something... I decided to start knitting as a way to keep me distracted... then a few months later I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety (on and off for basically half my life). Who would have thunk I would have started my own treatment before getting diagnosed..... lol

Quiltlady
09-20-2007, 06:36 PM
In Nov. I have to have left hip replacement surgery. I'm only 53 but have arthritis bad there. So sounds like I may have to bring my knitting along.:knitting::knitting::knitting:

PammieJR
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
You MUST have your knitting in the hospital!!! Something simple, very simple depending on your level of meds. I have had my knitting on my last two stays in the hospital (once for SEVERE food poisoning and then for gallbladder surgery) The knitting was a godsend...it kept my hands busy while I was made stationary in bed! knitting=healing and the nurses loved it (OK and my tattoos LOL)

mum2caden
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Wow- I feel like I have just met a new family! I have anxiety issues too, and oddly enough, when the attacks first began last winter was just when I came here and taught myself to knit!

I am a nursing student and during exams I knit like a madwoman. I have also found that during a lecture if I knit (something plain) then I can pay attention better to what is being said and don't fall asleep!

I just got some meds for it, despite how long it has been going on (when it started I was swearing that it was asthma that I had when I was a kid, but hadn't had an issue with in going on 20 years, lol) so I hope it helps.... and I have just started knitting in class again too. Oh well, works for me!

yarnpiggy
09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Wow! I'm gonna have to let me fiance in on this secret to anxiety management. He was just diagnosed with severe anxiety and put on two meds. He's really bummed about it, because he's not a "meds guy." I'll have to tell him I have a non-chemical solution he can try! :)